CAGcast #321: Private Podcast Experience

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]The CAGcast crew engage in a lot of nerdy comic book talk, followed by nerdy video game talk. Also, naked men.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]231[/podcast]
Download (1 hour 15 minutes) - iTunes
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Price is Right remix by gagnonbaby10 / Superman II

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right about naked guys Cheapy. In my experience it's mainly old dudes. My guess is that they are either too old to care or do it just to mess with people.

Wombat. Since "Deal With It" seems a lot more popular of a phrase on the internet now, jokingly make a comment to your wife about saving the money and she'll have to drive the van the way it is, and then, "Deal With It."

No one got hurt so she should see the humor in it.

Long time lurker/listener, first time poster. I love the show, thanks guys!
Cheapy - about your iPad. My son dropped our iPad 2 and the backlight went out. If I shone a bright light on the screen, I could tell the LCD pixels were working so the iPad was functional but unuseable. I listed it on ebay to sell it as broken and when it sold, I plugged it into my computer and used iTunes to install the system image to do a factory reset. When it rebooted post installation, the backlight worked. Still had to ship it to the buyer because they wouldn't let me cancel the sale (which sucked, but whatever), but it was functional. Thought I'd pass it along to see if helps you.

^ That's interesting, not sure if:

Dropped so hard you broke the software
or
Apple does such good programming, the software can fix the hardware.

Also: you should have kept your iPad, no need to send out a working one when you were only listing it because it didn't work. It seems worth a negative feedback at worst. (then leave a comment under feedback saying "item began magically working again!)

Wombat, I think localization at Nintendo depends on the type of game it is. For huge games with lots of text like Pokemon and Animal Crossing, of course it'll take a while. Mario and Zelda, on the other hand can easily be localized since there's so much less text.

The wait sucks, but with the next Pokemon, they did say they're trying to localize the games at the same time. Maybe Nintendo can learn from this experience to see how they can make their text-heavier games more readily available in English, or hire more Western Developers.

Superman Returns is pretty awful, mainly because Kevin Spacey played Luthor so campy and his end game plan for the movie was INCREDIBLY stupid.

If you listen to some of the behind the scenes extras on the Justice League DVDs, they mention that toning down the Green Lantern stuff is a conscious choice. Why would you expend the energy forming a giant, slow boxing glove to punch an enemy when it is so much more efficient to just zap them with a light speed laser? Near the end of the series they become a little more free with the constructs.

I just watched the jaffe video.....the guy is right on so many levels! Check it out and let us know what you think cheapy and crew.

I'm curious about that downloads-only Xbox 360. I've got no regrets about going the PS3 route, but I can't pretend I don't look on with teary eyes whenever a sweet-looking downloadable game stays exclusive to the other side of the fence.

This episode brought some joy to my miserable truck driver day, and I eagerly look forward to hearing about Wombat's hands-on with
shaved chef testes

@Wombat

I understand you disagree with Orson Scott Card's political position. That said, Ender's Game is a great book and--in the right hands--should make a really, really, good movie. From what I remember (it has a few years since I read it) the novel doesn't contain any material promoting Orson's political views. So saying you refuse to watch the film because of the author's politics exposes your own intolerance. I doubt--very much--that the people in Hollywood who are working on the film share the politics of the author of the source material. This is America and in my honest opinion if more Americans are tolerant of the fact that not everyone else feels, thinks and believes the same things as everyone else; we--as a nation--will be that much stronger for it.

@Wombat

I understand you disagree with Orson Scott Card's political position. That said, Ender's Game is a great book and--in the right hands--should make a really, really, good movie. From what I remember (it has been a few years since I read it) the novel doesn't contain any material promoting Orson's political views. So saying you refuse to watch the film because of the author's politics exposes your own intolerance. I doubt--very much--that the people in Hollywood who are working on the film share the politics of the author of the source material. This is America and in my honest opinion if more Americans are tolerant of the fact that not everyone else feels, thinks and believes the same things as everyone else; we--as a nation--will be that much stronger for it.

[quote name='BetaDemo']@Wombat

I understand you disagree with Orson Scott Card's political position. That said, Ender's Game is a great book and--in the right hands--should make a really, really, good movie. From what I remember (it has been a few years since I read it) the novel doesn't contain any material promoting Orson's political views. So saying you refuse to watch the film because of the author's politics exposes your own intolerance. I doubt--very much--that the people in Hollywood who are working on the film share the politics of the author of the source material. This is America and in my honest opinion if more Americans are tolerant of the fact that not everyone else feels, thinks and believes the same things as everyone else; we--as a nation--will be that much stronger for it.[/QUOTE]

He is bigot that I would prefer not to support. I do not need to tolerate hate, no one should.

This has nothing to do with politics, there are lots of people who I disagree with politically and respect.

Show Notes:

01:00 David Jaffe
02:00 Mrs Wombat's car accident
03:00 Cheapy's problems at the gym
08:30 Show feedback
08:30 - Recommending the show
10:00 - Electronic device repairs
13:00 Watch This
13:00 - Total Recall
15:15 - Superman trailer
18:00 New Releases
18:00 - Injustice / Preorder bonuses
24:45 - Dishonored DLC
25:00 - Pandora's Tower
25:15 - Sacred citadel
30:00 - Dragon Fantasy Book 1
31:00 CAG Voting begins
32:00 CAG 3.0 - 4/29
38:00 Capcom troubles
40:15 NPD's
40:45 Bioshock Infinite
45:15 3DS stuff, impressions new Zelda, etc
48:00 Nintendo, localizing games
58:00 Cagbag
58:00 - Do pc's cause less excitement for next gen
59:00 - Ghosts
1:03:30 NHL14
1:01:00 Making money with Cagcast
1:13:00 Wombat's birthday dinner

[quote name='Wombat']He is bigot that I would prefer not to support. I do not need to tolerate hate, no one should.

This has nothing to do with politics, there are lots of people who I disagree with politically and respect.[/QUOTE]

Did you play Shadow Complex? Also, pretty funny on the friends comment. All my friends who play video games already know about the cagcast and they say it's not for them so I only had casual friends to refer the podcast to, which I don't want to do. Sorry for the mix up.

[quote name='Wombat']He is bigot that I would prefer not to support. I do not need to tolerate hate, no one should.

This has nothing to do with politics, there are lots of people who I disagree with politically and respect.[/QUOTE]

You make a fair point so I'm curious: do you feel the same way about Mel Gibson and his films?

PS: I admit to knowing little about O.S.C.'s background so I went to the wikipedia for his bio (after your response) and it appears that the filmmakers of Ender's Game are distancing themselves somewhat from the author insomuch that they aren't going to allow him to take part in the promotion of movie adaptation of Ender's Game. I try to judge a work of art based on its own merits but O.S.C. definately has all the markings of a hater.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Did you play Shadow Complex? Also, pretty funny on the friends comment. All my friends who play video games already know about the cagcast and they say it's not for them so I only had casual friends to refer the podcast to, which I don't want to do. Sorry for the mix up.[/QUOTE]

I did, but admittedly it was before I really knew who Orson Scoot Card was. Also it was a review code.

If i knew then what I know now, I would have skipped it.

And to Beta Demo: I wish I could still like Mel Gibson, because I love some of his old movies. But it is hard to look past what he has said. On the flip side, Gibson has apologized. Honestly I don't really know, but I have not seen any of his films in maybe a decade.

I had to laugh when Cheapy said that because Apple's got an incredulous pricing scheme for storage on closed devices there's no way anything could be reasonably priced. The xbox already supports external storage, why would that disappear with a smaller box?

A rare moment of Wombat clarity in this week's CAGcast. His point on Nintendo's slow translations made perfect sense. American companies are usually pretty quick to put out Japanese translations of their games. Having these Japanese companies give their games the same reach around the globe is only fair.

Animal Crossing is meant to be played online. It won't have the same buzz if all of the Japanese players are already tired of it in June.

I am in favor of putting up a paypal donation link for the cagcast. I don't think Cheapy, Ship or Wombat should ever have to pay for a game with as much entertainment as I've received from this podcast.. Come on!? Where else can I hear about poop, pee, naked old men and GrandMa's Caddy all under one proverbial roof!!?

[quote name='aaronz77']I am in favor of putting up a paypal donation link for the cagcast. I don't think Cheapy, Ship or Wombat should ever have to pay for a game with as much entertainment as I've received from this podcast.. Come on!? Where else can I hear about poop, pee, naked old men and GrandMa's Caddy all under one proverbial roof!!?[/QUOTE]

A proctology podcast hosted by octogenarians.

You guys are insane if you think a price drop with the Wii U is the right move. Until some games come out and until the next playstation and xbox launch, any move would be premature. And you guys keep complaining about how Nintendo does their business but financially they've always done better than the other two. Maybe that'll be different this round. But it is definitely too early to say.

wasn't the Superman / Capt. Marvel fight in that JLU episode part of the setup to the over-arcing season plot? It was part of the discrediting of the JL, I thought.

Anyway. Yeah Orson Scott Card is a douche. And I thought Ender's Game was horrible even before I knew he was a douche.

In the comics, is Captain Marvel now called Shazam like he is in Injustice? Wouldn't he revert back to Billy everytime he introduced himself (Or just casually sidestep the lightning bolt... sigh)?

And since you guys have apparently seen everything in the DC animated universe, can you tell me if they've adapted Identity Crisis, or at least the Batman's memory story into anything animated?

And...
picture.php

It's good to see that Wombat bought Injustice (according to his Twitter), and what's that, a Batman figure in the very costume that he despises so much? I know it was free but it made me laugh a bit.

Not sure if you'll answer this on the next show but do you think calling the game "Injustice: Gods Among Us" will hurt sales at all? I know a lot of people rag on the title because it has nothing to do with the content of the game (DC heroes) but I like the title, maybe because I already knew what it was before it came out. I imagine a lot of parents and potential buyers will go to the store looking for something that says "DC Fighting" or "Batman something" and totally miss this game. What do you all think?

Non existant ipads are the best kind of ipods. I approve.

"oooya i don't give a shit." my thoughts exactly.

Wish i had preordered injustice after checking it out a bit more so i'll be looking for whoever price cuts it first or i'll just wait for them to bundle in the dlc.

If you guys liked golden axe, how psyched are you for dragon's crown? I'm torn though because it won't support cross play so i'll have to decide whether to buy it for ps3 or vita. It looks really good to me.

Playing 3DS games on the Wii U is a dream. It would be great and probably not too hard for them to do, but it won't happen until late in the systems life cycle at least because they want you to buy all of their hardware. I'm not buying a WiiU until I can get a good bundle for $250. I have way too many PS3/Vita games to play for now to care. The best way for us to get a price cut on it is to stop talking about it. Actually if they announced we could play 3ds games on the Wii U, I would buy one tomorrow for $300.

Ive got a question for you guys. Do you think the PS4 will require a subscription fee like the 360 later this year? I get the feeling that it definitely will.

So lets say that we suddenly need to pay a monthly fee to use our PS4s. Is that going to be covered by a PS+ subscription? If this was the case I wouldn't mind at all. That would be pretty awesome.

If I was Sony, I would do everything I could to get the console to come in cheaper (around $500 with a game) and make my real profits on a subscription model. Pretty much copy the success of WoW by making it accessible and hooking lots of people monthly. Maybe that's why Activision Blizzard signed on with them. Maybe they get a chunk of that subscription money with games like Diablo and Destiny which are more like services. That was Koticks big complaint with the 360. He was saying Activision didn't get enough of that money with all of the users they generated for Microsofts monthly live fee. I don't trust anything Activision Blizzard is signing on with. I'm sure they're getting paid very well for whatever deal they signed.

I'm getting a free $50 PSn card for signing up for a Playstation credit card sometime this month. I'll have to wait for them to announce their future plans to decide whether or not i'll be using it to sign up for plus or pick up a couple psn games that go on sale. I'm leaning towards plus since I have the vita, but it's going to come down to how worthwhile the program is with the PS4 and if i'll be getting a PS4. Gotta watch out for those hidden costs.

This is pretty much the strategy that the telecom companies sucker people with. Buy a phone for cheap and pay a ton of money over time with the service. It's pretty much the reverse of PC gaming which is drop a TON of money on your machine and get cheaper games.

And really to take advantage of a lot of the PS4 features you're gonna need a good internet connection. I think I should be set with a 24mbps download and 3mbps upload, but even that is freaking expensive here in the US. I'm thinking the PS4 will have really good sales, but they won't hook nearly as many people for their premium services which will require an expensive internet connection. I think the combination of needing an expensive internet connection and additional fees for premium would turn a lot of people off. Hopefully the basic online continues to be free or premium services continue to be covered by plus. If there are additional monthly charges I will have to reconsider next gen. I don't like having monthly bills for anything. No cable here either.

Actually I can almost guarantee you I won't be buying a Ps4 on launch since i'd rather just play lots of GTA V, but i'm curious what you guys think about it.

[quote name='meager']In the comics, is Captain Marvel now called Shazam like he is in Injustice[/QUOTE]

Yes. Since the New52 launch. And Marvel's Ms.Marvel is now Captain Marvel.

CheapyD just doesn't realize that the heroes have to fight each other in comics / cartoons. Because if they ever actually defeated the villains then the writers would have to come up with new villains. Even in The Avengers spend more time fighting each other than they do the Chitauri.

And that Captain Marvel vs Superman fight won't prepare CheapyD for when / if they make an animated Kingdom Come.

I played the Injustice demo. It was clunky, boring, and visually bland. I am not really sure what everyone sees in it. Also, I agree with Shipwreck that DC's characters generally just don't have that personality "pop" that they need.

As for the gym situation, my gym is very similar. I don't care much though if people of odd shapes and sizes walk around in the nude. What does bother me is when people really stink. There are showers, towels, paper towels, and sinks. People should also have deodorant in their bags. They should not sit around stinking up the joint for the rest of us. I never spend more time than necessary in the locker room. These stank ass motha ******* sit around all day counting tiles on the ceiling, and I want to kick them ... right in the stink.

Wanted to comment on the Ghost thing. I'm 40 and as the years have gone by i have met.

Someone who had the classic Near death experience floating out of his body thing. He is still an atheist.
Someone who saw a light flying around the sky at impossible speeds and he is an amateur astronomer.
Someone who saw a classic ufo up close when he was 10 or so. Spinning disk the whole thing. Reported by many people at that time in that area.
Someone who saw their deceased brother in law after giving birth and tending her new child.
Someone who with 3 friends drove through a "ghost" while driving. They all saw it. non religious.

I have found that if you don't dismiss what people see and experience and don't make fun of them you will be amazed by what people will tell you. Unfortunately it is a normal thing culturally to make fun of people who admit to these experiences. Most people keep it to themselves.

Not saying any of this is real. But i believe the experiences are real. Who knows what it is.

Love the show!

Carl

Yes, there are eShop games on the Wii U. You probably don't hear anything about them because they're few and far between. There are ten eShop games so far released in the past six months with a few exclusives (Toki Tori 2, Nano Assault Neo, and Chasing Aurora) and the next game comes out in a few weeks. They really should've split up their eShop development between 3DS and Wii U a bit better so that Nintendo at least had a game or two out during the drought.

My condolences to Cheapy's iPad.

[quote name='cdnarmy33']wanted to comment on the ghost thing. I'm 40 and as the years have gone by i have met.

Someone who had the classic near death experience floating out of his body thing. He is still an atheist.
Someone who saw a light flying around the sky at impossible speeds and he is an amateur astronomer.
Someone who saw a classic ufo up close when he was 10 or so. Spinning disk the whole thing. Reported by many people at that time in that area.
Someone who saw their deceased brother in law after giving birth and tending her new child.
Someone who with 3 friends drove through a "ghost" while driving. They all saw it. Non religious.

I have found that if you don't dismiss what people see and experience and don't make fun of them you will be amazed by what people will tell you. Unfortunately it is a normal thing culturally to make fun of people who admit to these experiences. Most people keep it to themselves.

Not saying any of this is real. But i believe the experiences are real. Who knows what it is.

Love the show!

Carl[/quote]

qft

I think Cheapy needs to write up two resumes, walk his happy ass down to Nintendo's headquarters, then to Capcom's headquarters, and apply for CEO of both companies. Boom, problem solved, they'll be making the English and Japanese versions in parallel and Capcom's sales expectations will be more realistic.

Also for those interested in Injustice, just buy the wally-world version, getting the Arkham skins and Mortal Kombat Vs. DC is pretty decent.

Shame on Shipwreck for not knowing Captain Marvel was a child when he powered down. I know this and the only comics I buy have Deadpool in the title.

[quote name='CdnArmy33']I have found that if you don't dismiss what people see and experience and don't make fun of them you will be amazed by what people will tell you. Unfortunately it is a normal thing culturally to make fun of people who admit to these experiences. Most people keep it to themselves.[/QUOTE]

A healthy dose of skepticism towards things that seem to fly in the face of everything that is known can also be a good thing.

I've got a suggestion for people that want to give back to the podcast. Instead of a straight up donation maybe send in and give the hosts a few Steam/XBLA/PSN game codes to give away on social media or the CAGcast. Everyone loves a contest.

To me, it reflects a lot better than "begging" for money. Goodwill and promotion should help, no?

Don't forget those sponsors for the show too, they've been absent lately. I saw a TV commercial for Audible the other day, advertising 2 free books with their referral. I immediately thought back to when the CAGcast had a free trial+book code.

I feel compelled to post because that kickstarter that raised how ever many thousands of dollars for a freaking podcast isn't just lame, it's downright wrong.

Great show guys!

After listening to the podcast I feel even more compelled to pick up Injustice. I just am hesitant that there is not enough "content" to warrant full price, if that makes sense? I'm not a huge comic fan (besides Batman), but did enjoy the latest Mortal Kombat. I'm sure I'll end up caving. Those that have taken the plunge, pretty worth it?

C'mon Cheapy, the Superman vs Captain Marvel fight was pure fan service. It was awesome.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']I feel compelled to post because that kickstarter that raised how ever many thousands of dollars for a freaking podcast isn't just lame, it's downright wrong.[/QUOTE]

There's nothing wrong with people paying for a service that otherwise would not be provided.

Wombat

Why does a person NEED to like DC? You acted like shipwreck had to like DC and that it was the weirdest thing in the world that he didn't and how he wished it would have been mortal kombat. I'm in the same boat. I don't like DC whatsoever. Whats the point of unrelatable characters that do nothing for me? Yes, superman, the lamest super hero in the world that can only be hurt by 1 thing..which is on another planet!

I totally agree with Wombat and Cheapy re: Nintendo. They are sorely out of touch with their consumer base. They cannot sustain on running the way they have for the last 30 years, I mean WHY not translate the game when they develop it and put out the game around the same time across Jap and US. Why NOT give me a Cross game chat on a system that is 6 years newer than my Xbox 360. Why not give me a damn Video Game system, that doesn't rely on some wonky waggle or touch screen. Just a regular game man!

Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo just as much as the next guy, but as an effing 37 year old man, I simply am NOT interested in another iteration of some damn Yoshi Yarn game or whatever the junk. Big N, I used to swear by you guys, but what the Eff? Get with it, my Wii U is simply collecting dust, because I don't need to play the same game I played when I was 13, via the Virtual Console.

-Disillusioned Nintendo Fan #43,456

@wombat both of your ghost sightings can be explained, the tv coming on by its self could have been caused by a garage door opener or other strong rf device. The lights could be from a photo frame or mirror reflecting the light of a passing car. Both of these would occur a lot in my home as a kid and would spook the shit out of me.

[quote name='CheapyD']Its got about the same amount of content as the last MK game.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Cheapy. I'll end up giving it a go then.

wombat was talking about his ghost experience. Probably some kids with a telescope and a remote turning on the tv

How about selling CAG swag? I would buy a CAG t-shirt to support the show and the website, as I'm sure a lot of people would. And I also need a new CAG "Play Cheap" bracelet, mine looks like crap.

bread's done
Back