Marvel Omnibus Reprints - Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, FF, DD

lilman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
Marvel is reprinting some of their most popular omnibuses. The originals have been oop for a while and go for at least $200 used. They are highly rated, hardcover, full color, and quite large (ASM V1 is a little over 1000 pages).

MSRP is $100. Amazon has some of them up for pre-order now at around $75. Cheap Graphic Novels is offering them for $50 ea, but you have to pay for your pre-order upfront. I pre-ordered ASM and Uncanny from Tales of Wonder since they have them on sale for $55 ea through April 25, free shipping over $99, and they don't require payment until right before shipping.

Pre-order:
Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus HC Vol 1 (Late Aug, 2013) - ToW ($62), CGN ($50), Amazon ($76)
Uncanny X-Men Omnibus HC Vol 1 (Early Sept, 2013) - ToW ($62), CGN ($50), Amazon ($77)
Fantastic Four Omnibus HC Vol 1 (Early Oct, 2013) - ToW ($55), CGN ($50), Amazon ($77)
Daredevil Omnibus HC Vol 1 (Mid Nov, 2013) - Amazon ($70)

If you pre-order from ToW, make sure to use a credit card if you want to delay payment until it's ready to ship (PayPal doesn't count). If you order more than one book from ToW, use group shipping to get free shipping since you'll be spending over $99 (I spent $110 on ASM and Uncanny).

Good thread on Marvel omnibuses: http://forums.comicbookresources.co...mnibus-Oversized-Hardcover-Discussion-Part-VI

-Update 5/1- ToW sale ended. Pre-order price increased from $55 to $62.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the deals. I also placed an order with ToW for ASM and Uncanny. For anyone on the fence the Marvel omnibuses are pretty darned awesome. Oversized and LARGE with a lot of issues included. I can't recommend them enough. Due to them I don't buy softcover stuff anymore.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I'd foam at the mouth over these, but DAMN they are too heavy for bedtime reading.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. They also don't travel well. I've been reading ebooks for a few years now but can't bring myself to go digital with comics. I think I read somewhere that some Marvel hardcovers are going to come with digital versions as well. It may have been in the product details pages on amazon for one of the umpteen Wolverine hardcovers coming out.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I'd foam at the mouth over these, but DAMN they are too heavy for bedtime reading.[/QUOTE]
Digital versions would be awesome! I've been reading digital manga for a few years now. I was hesitant at first since "it's not a book anymore", but the experience is even better than physical books thanks to portability, no binding to hold back, backlit display (lighting in my house sucks), and pinch zooming.

There were some digital collection releases, but they aren't in stock anymore: http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Digital-Comics/lm/RBGG0ZDY8LTWY
Marvel probably realized they could make a lot more money with physical collections and individual digital releases.

[quote name='lilman']Digital versions would be awesome! I've been reading digital manga for a few years now. I was hesitant at first since "it's not a book anymore", but the experience is even better than physical books thanks to portability, no binding to hold back, backlit display (lighting in my house sucks), and pinch zooming.

There were some digital collection releases, but they aren't in stock anymore: http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Digital-Comics/lm/RBGG0ZDY8LTWY
Marvel probably realized they could make a lot more money with physical collections and individual digital releases.[/QUOTE]

I would STRONGLY suggest Marvel Unlimited. Read on PC, iOS and (I think) Android. Requires active connection (you can store 6 issues at a time), but you get access to over 13000 books for either $10 a month or $60 a year. Nothing from the last 6 months and hit or miss on the 6 months to a year stuff, but a WHOLE lot of stuff before then. I've read enough TODAY to pay for the year. Exceptional service. And yes, they discontinued the GIT collections (including cancelling the planned Thor and Daredevil ones) to launch the service several years ago, which is my I have resisted being a subscriber until recently. Plain stupidity on my part. I've probably never spent a better $60.
And yeah, if these omnibuses are like the Witchblade and Darkness ones, they are a mother****er to read. WAY too heavy and WAY too many pages. It is VERY hard to see the parts of the pages near the spine. Awesome idea, but just not that great in execution, IMO. Then again, I think those are thicker (each are 50 issues and I think they're around 1200 pages) so the Marvel ones might be better. Let's put it this way: after got the first ones and tried to read it, I paid more to get the individual trades and issues for the rest of what I needed.

Fantastic Four available for pre-order at ToW. On sale through May for $55.
http://talesofwonder.com/product-exec/product_id/73388/

ToW April sales for ASM and Uncanny have ended. Prices increased from $55 to $62.

[quote name='mietha']I would STRONGLY suggest Marvel Unlimited. Read on PC, iOS and (I think) Android. Requires active connection (you can store 6 issues at a time), but you get access to over 13000 books for either $10 a month or $60 a year.[/QUOTE]
I had forgotten about that service. I'm currently busy with manga but will try it out eventually. $60 for a year sounds great. Thanks for the heads up!

Has Marvel upgraded their digital comic reader? I was a member back when they were giving away a Nick Fury figure to join. I quit though, because I found their reader to be pretty awful compared to the CBR software I had used previously. I'd be happy to go back if the reader has improved.

[quote name='mietha']I would STRONGLY suggest Marvel Unlimited. Read on PC, iOS and (I think) Android. Requires active connection (you can store 6 issues at a time), but you get access to over 13000 books for either $10 a month or $60 a year. Nothing from the last 6 months and hit or miss on the 6 months to a year stuff, but a WHOLE lot of stuff before then. I've read enough TODAY to pay for the year. Exceptional service. And yes, they discontinued the GIT collections (including cancelling the planned Thor and Daredevil ones) to launch the service several years ago, which is my I have resisted being a subscriber until recently. Plain stupidity on my part. I've probably never spent a better $60.
And yeah, if these omnibuses are like the Witchblade and Darkness ones, they are a mother****er to read. WAY too heavy and WAY too many pages. It is VERY hard to see the parts of the pages near the spine. Awesome idea, but just not that great in execution, IMO. Then again, I think those are thicker (each are 50 issues and I think they're around 1200 pages) so the Marvel ones might be better. Let's put it this way: after got the first ones and tried to read it, I paid more to get the individual trades and issues for the rest of what I needed.[/QUOTE]

Received my order of Spider-Man and Uncanny X-Men. Tales of Wonder did a great job with shipping. The books are factory plastic sealed, then plastic wrapped, boxed, surrounded by peanuts, and boxed again! Much better experience than I've had with Amazon who loves to ship books in bubble mailers (though in this case they would have to use boxes since these books are so large and heavy).

Looks like Amazon has these in stock at $60 now. I hope those that pre-ordered there got an adjustment from the $7x prices.

For those of you buying these: DCBS usually has the best pre-order price at 50% off. If you wait until release week, InStockTrades.Com (DCBS sister site) has them for 50% off with free shipping over $50. Usually this is a much better deal than Amazon and usually a better deal than TalesOfWonder or CheapGraphicNovels.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been on the fence about these for the past few days. Really want all 3 Omnis, already preordered Millers DD.

Might just say screw it and order FF, Spidey, and Xmen. Might even grab the New Xmen Omnib from CGN thru Amazon. Im in a comic buying mood.

been procrastinating on buying the reprints but i did get uncanny x-men vol 1 over the weekend. 

i'm behind on my reading too like 30 books behind.. did finish thor omnibus vol 1 today.

bread's done
Back