$164.99 w/$15 MIR XFX Radeon 7850 w/BioShock Infinite, FC3 Blood Dragon, Tomb Raider

Borjoyzee

CAGiversary!
Got this email from NewEgg's Shellshocker deals this morning. Now through 11:59 PST 4/23, and I believe the games are also redeemable through Steam - at least that's what the feedback page says.

Since I'm apparently unable to post links, if you search "XFX Core Edition FX-785A-CNL4 Radeon HD 7850" on NewEgg it'll show right up. Cheers!

I dont know anything about computers, but I have a All in One PC so I cant use this video card afaik...but is this a good deal anyways? I should invest in a gaming computer.

is it wise to buy graphics cards now when next-gen consoles are coming later this year? won't that mean next-gen cards are just around the corner?

[quote name='United_Korea']is it wise to buy graphics cards now when next-gen consoles are coming later this year? won't that mean next-gen cards are just around the corner?[/QUOTE]Nvidia 700 series is rumored to be out in June with the 8000 series in Q3/Q4 2013. Great price for this card you could sell the games for 40-50$ if you don't want them.

[quote name='United_Korea']is it wise to buy graphics cards now when next-gen consoles are coming later this year? won't that mean next-gen cards are just around the corner?[/QUOTE]

The next-gen consoles are based on older cards, but new cards are always around the corner. It is a good deal IMO.

[quote name='DieNAstY508']The next-gen consoles are based on older cards, but new cards are always around the corner. It is a good deal IMO.[/QUOTE]

No they're not. It's been widely reported otherwise.

Read the reviews for this card before pulling the trigger. Please overlook the "free games included", and just focus on whether or not the card is good. I own a 7870 Asus Dual fan card, it's a great card, and honestly i wouldn't recommend any of the single fan solutions for the 7800 series cards. Single fan setups just don't dissipate enough heat for this chipset, so they are always running at high rpms and causing excessive noise. Furthermore, the reviews are somewhat middle of the road for this card, with some people citing premature fan failure.

*edited*

ALSO TO NOTE:

FYI if you get a defective card, or if the card has to be returned for any reason, they will deduct the full price of the retail games from your refund, plus restocking. Newegg is getting somewhat sketchy with returns and replacements over the past year or so. Don't make a mistake that you might end up regretting.

Only 1 gb memory eh? I would spend the extra money and get a card with 2 gb. Also from my experience, I have two powercolor cards. Both only have a single fan, but my newest has a giant single fan on it. Temp diff between the two cards is usually around 20C, so yes, the fans make a big difference when pushing the card to its limits. Again, spend the extra money on one with a decent cooling mechanism, youn wont regret it.

[quote name='PDJ']Only 1 gb memory eh? I would spend the extra money and get a card with 2 gb. Also from my experience, I have two powercolor cards. Both only have a single fan, but my newest has a giant single fan on it. Temp diff between the two cards is usually around 20C, so yes, the fans make a big difference when pushing the card to its limits. Again, spend the extra money on one with a decent cooling mechanism, youn wont regret it.[/QUOTE]

You make a good point. I recently compared this card to the one that I currently have which is a Radeon HD 6870, and my card is still better than this one. I'll just wait to upgrade my card down the line. I could possible do a Crossfire setup, but most of the compatible cards are OOS. :(

Newegg has video card deals literally almost daily (including the ones with the free games). Probably no reason for a thread here. There was already one specific to the games deal on all video cards.

Maybe someone should create a Newegg specific thread that keeps track of all the gaming related deals.

[quote name='arionfrost']Read the reviews for this card before pulling the trigger. Please overlook the "free games included", and just focus on whether or not the card is good. I own a 7870 Asus Dual fan card, it's a great card, and honestly i wouldn't recommend any of the single fan solutions for the 7800 series cards. Single fan setups just don't dissipate enough heat for this chipset, so they are always running at high rpms and causing excessive noise. Furthermore, the reviews are somewhat middle of the road for this card, with some people citing premature fan failure.

*edited*

ALSO TO NOTE:

FYI if you get a defective card, or if the card has to be returned for any reason, they will deduct the full price of the retail games from your refund, plus restocking. Newegg is getting somewhat sketchy with returns and replacements over the past year or so. Don't make a mistake that you might end up regretting.[/QUOTE]

I also have an Asus 7870 w/ Dual fans and I could definitely recommend this card to anyone. It probably comes with the free games as well

Just to let you guys know, the reason AMD is pushing all of these "free" games with the 7800 series cards is because they are on the verge of unveiling the Radeon 8800 series this summer. They are trying to clear out stock of these chips.

If you can wait just a little while longer, it would probably be in your best interest to save your money and just buy one of the 8800 series cards when they hit. From early previews last year, the 8800 series card will prove to be quite power efficient yet performance wise will pretty much demolish current generation cards from both AMD and Nvidia.

To put it In context, PS4 will have a 7850 class APU (cpu and gpu on one chip), with 8Gb of unified DDR5 memory. This along with software based optimizations will put you at a significant disadvantage when it comes to next gen games if you do indeed decide to pull the trigger on this card. Think of the 7800 series cards as a middle road between current gen and next gen.

It's your money, but I would suggest saving it.

[quote name='arionfrost']Just to let you guys know, the reason AMD is pushing all of these "free" games with the 7800 series cards is because they are on the verge of unveiling the Radeon 8800 series this summer. They are trying to clear out stock of these chips.

If you can wait just a little while longer, it would probably be in your best interest to save your money and just buy one of the 8800 series cards when they hit. From early previews last year, the 8800 series card will prove to be quite power efficient yet performance wise will pretty much demolish current generation cards from both AMD and Nvidia.

To put it In context, PS4 will have a 7850 class APU (cpu and gpu on one chip), with 8Gb of unified DDR5 memory. This along with software based optimizations will put you at a significant disadvantage when it comes to next gen games if you do indeed decide to pull the trigger on this card. Think of the 7800 series cards as a middle road between current gen and next gen.

It's your money, but I would suggest saving it.[/QUOTE]

You make it sound like they won't come out with another series within a year or so after the 8000 series launches. :p

[quote name='Duetschbag']You make it sound like they won't come out with another series within a year or so after the 8000 series launches. :p[/QUOTE]

Your point only reinforces my point. Where we are in the (multiplatform) console generation, and video card generation, it doesn't make much sense to buy a 7800 series card right now. We are at the tail end of the 7800 series. That's why they are selling for so cheap and getting free games bundled with them.

Like I said, in the end, everyone makes their own purchasing decisions. Some people will feel that having "free" games makes it worth buying. Knowledge is power, and it helps when making sound buying decisions.

[quote name='arionfrost']Your point only reinforces my point. Where we are in the (multiplatform) console generation, and video card generation, it doesn't make much sense to buy a 7800 series card right now. We are at the tail end of the 7800 series. That's why they are selling for so cheap and getting free games bundled with them.

Like I said, in the end, everyone makes their own purchasing decisions. Some people will feel that having "free" games makes it worth buying. Knowledge is power, and it helps when making sound buying decisions.[/QUOTE]

True, but realistically when purchasing any computer component, you can expect it to be outdated in a year. If you're a PC gamer, it's just something you get used to. For example, I'm selling my 6970 for about $150 less than what I paid for it last year to upgrade to the 4GB 7850. Depending on what I get for it (and what other cards of the same model have been selling for) I should be able to pay for the most, if not all of the 7850. I'll probably wait another year or two before I upgrade again. PC gaming is an exciting waste of money.

[quote name='Duetschbag']True, but realistically when purchasing any computer component, you can expect it to be outdated in a year. If you're a PC gamer, it's just something you get used to. For example, I'm selling my 6970 for about $150 less than what I paid for it last year to upgrade to the 4GB 7850. Depending on what I get for it (and what other cards of the same model have been selling for) I should be able to pay for the most, if not all of the 7850. I'll probably wait another year or two before I upgrade again. PC gaming is an exciting waste of money.[/QUOTE]

If you have to upgrade video cards every year, you either have unrealistic expectations or you are making unwise purchases.

6970 is still a great card for 1080p gaming. You have a 2gb, am I correct? the extra 2 gb of memory (on that 7850 you are eyeing) will make absolutely no difference at 1080p gaming, nor will it make a positive impact if you are doing eyefinity. 7850 is not really much of an upgrade at all for you.

In your case, I would definitely suggest waiting.

As far as any negatives on PC gaming, the money that you spend up front you make up on the back end with ridiculous steam and amazon sales. PC gaming isn't a waste of money at all for those that are really into it.

bread's done
Back