Futurama Not Renewed For 8th Season

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!
Feedback
89 (100%)
It was announced that Comedy Central wouldn't be renewing Futurama after this summer's half-season. Officially the saddest day for TV ever. I personally think that Futurama is the funniest show ever on TV. The slapstick humor along with the intelligent nerd humor made for a show that was non-stop laughs. I'll miss it so. :cry: :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtMv6V7ZvmE

I am not too broke up with this. I loved the show when it was originally on, and still love watching those reruns. Ever since Comedy Central brought it back it hasnt lived up to what it once was. All of those movies they had were awful and the new season had a few high spots but for the most part was about as funny as the Simpsons.

I'm John F*cking Zoidberg!!! is the main bit of humor from the newest season:)

Disappointing. Comedy Central had such a hard on to bring this to their network and keep it around. Now they are casting away like a used condom.

[quote name='musha666']I am not too broke up with this. I loved the show when it was originally on, and still love watching those reruns. Ever since Comedy Central brought it back it hasnt lived up to what it once was. All of those movies they had were awful and the new season had a few high spots but for the most part was about as funny as the Simpsons.

I'm John F*cking Zoidberg!!! is the main bit of humor from the newest season:)[/QUOTE]

I felt as if the earlier seasons were better, but the newer ones were still awesome. Definitely no complaints from me since they brought it back.

As for the show running forever, I was kind of hoping it would pull a Simpson-esque run. I'd at least like a few more seasons after all the work CC did to get it back.

[quote name='Access_Denied']I felt as if the earlier seasons were better, but the newer ones were still awesome. Definitely no complaints from me since they brought it back.

As for the show running forever, I was kind of hoping it would pull a Simpson-esque run. I'd at least like a few more seasons after all the work CC did to get it back.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here. I'm pretty disappointed. I mean, look how long that PoS South Park has run! Didn't that run its course by like 2000? And here it is still on 13 years later. I actually stopped watching Comedy Central years ago because every time I put it on, that show was on. I've only caught on to the new Futurama through Netflix.

[quote name='kdyzol']This is terrible. Does anyone know what garbage they'll be replacing this masterpiece with?[/QUOTE]

They're bringing back That's My Bush.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']They're bringing back That's My Bush.[/QUOTE]

#-o I remember that show.

They came back after 5 years being cancelled and gave us more episodes. Still sucks that this time it may be really over, for one, think I can live with this run.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm ok with it. I watched it, along with Family Guy, back when they first premiered. Both of them were brought back after reruns on Adult Swim. Neither series lived up to its former glory. While it sucks, there have been very few memorable new episodes.

Read this earlier. Blows my mind that Seth Mcfarlene has no fewer than 3 shows currently on the air, but we can't keep Futurama on air. Wtf humans? W.T.F?

[quote name='Clak']Read this earlier. Blows my mind that Seth Mcfarlene has no fewer than 3 shows currently on the air, but we can't keep Futurama on air. Wtf humans? W.T.F?[/QUOTE]

Granted, no one like The Cleveland show, and is rumored to be canceled.

[quote name='Clak']Read this earlier. Blows my mind that Seth Mcfarlene has no fewer than 3 shows currently on the air, but we can't keep Futurama on air. Wtf humans? W.T.F?[/QUOTE]

The worst part is, his shows are more worn out the a 33 year old Vegas hooker.

I agree. And I actually like most of his stuff (minus Cleveland Show of course). Family Guy kind of grew on me and even American Dad (both of which I only ever watch because they are on Adult Swim and that is pretty much the only regular TV I watch). But I'd take a shortened summer season of Futurama over all 3 of those shows any year.

But McFarlane does just knock me over (as in laughing out loud) on occasion with some of his 80's references and whatnot. I think I'm a little older than him, but he obviously watched the same stuff I did. 20-somethings I could see not liking his stuff much at all.

Like this one:

http://youtu.be/qSKp6zwOnRI

The video is crappy but it is the audio that matters ;). You had to live though the time when that song was a big hit and played constantly, I think, to appreciate it. But I bust out laughing every time I see this one.

Another short one is when he refers to Valerie Bert-and-Ernie. A simple joke, but it busts me up too.

[quote name='io']But McFarlane does just knock me over (as in laughing out loud) on occasion with some of his 80's references and whatnot. I think I'm a little older than him, but he obviously watched the same stuff I did. 20-somethings I could see not liking his stuff much at all.[/QUOTE]

Lol that reminds me of one of his panels at SDCC last year. He was talking about shows he watched, and mentioned Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, and the auditorium was silent. I was quietly going, "woo!"

Sad to hear this.

I haven't had cable since the series came back on the air, but, I've been supporting with the Blu-Ray purchases.

Sure would be amazing to see another company pick it up.

This is similar to my feelings, and Family Guy is the only decent show out of his bunch.

Not that I saw this coming but I sort of expected it in a way eventually.Futurama just didn't feel like it fit in with the Comedy Central line up and overall I'm just glad they kept the show going for as long as they did and giving it another chance.

I haven't watched anything Futurama past the terrible 1st movie and boring intro to the 2nd movie. The original run is still fantastic, though.

As for Family Guy, I gave the first season a few episodes before dropping it. Didn't really make me laugh.

[quote name='ID2006']I haven't watched anything Futurama past the terrible 1st movie and boring intro to the 2nd movie. The original run is still fantastic, though.[/QUOTE]

The "movies" are definitely the low point of Futurama. But the newer episodes are better. There aren't any classics like Jurassic Bark or any number of other Season 1-4 episodes, but they are for the most part middle-of-the-pack-worthy, which is not bad for an overall excellent series.

[quote name='ID2006']I haven't watched anything Futurama past the terrible 1st movie and boring intro to the 2nd movie. The original run is still fantastic, though.

As for Family Guy, I gave the first season a few episodes before dropping it. Didn't really make me laugh.[/QUOTE]

The animation and voices from the first few seasons of Family Guy have not aged well.

Groening has expressed interest in doing more Futurama, so I think it's got a pretty good chance. It might not come back in the form we know it now, but I imagine that we'll see some more a few years down the road. Maybe that'll give Groening and Cohen a little time to recharge their batteries and come back with some grade A material.

Also, more of our (my) favorite character. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5tZMDBXTRQ

Futurama is my favorite cartoon ever so this hurts :cry:. How the hell is this getting cancelled again? The show has been good and is extremely popular. This is bullshit.

[quote name='bigdaddy']No classics in the new episodes?!?!

The Late Philip J. Fry

That's one of the best episodes.[/QUOTE]

Also, The Duh Vinci Code.

g1366756412192811554.jpg

My feelings in a nutshell. It could come back or It could not, but damn if it didn't give me some memorable quotable moments.

[quote name='bigdaddy']No classics in the new episodes?!?!

The Late Philip J. Fry

That's one of the best episodes.[/QUOTE]

Eh, you know, I had never actually watched that one and after reading the Bad Astronomy blog which mentioned that one specifcally I watched in on Netflix. It is a good one (probably better than average) but I wouldn't call it a classic.

What I don't like about the return of Futurama (and especially the movies which were atrocious in this regard) is that they have resorted to a lot more crude sex jokes. The original series had its adult humor to be sure, but it was more subtle and sophisticated. The newer stuff is more crude which I don't really appreciate. Some of them are pretty cringe-worthy to watch with the kids ;).

I will agree that the movies were not good at all. However the episodes were a lot better once they started coming out with them. As for the crude sex jokes it is on Comedy Central. That stuff should be expected and chances are was put in the contract that they had to put a certain number in each episode.

The show is likely too expensive for what it brings in. I would imagine the return on their investment is nothing like South Park. There's a reason all of the original Adult Swim shows look like Flash cartoons. Futurama is traditional Korean slave labor animation. It's still relatively expensive for a cable network like Comedy Central, and doesn't bring in the ratings like The Daily Show or publicity like Colbert.

Many of the recent episodes were really bad. I couldn't handle the one where they turn into animals. The standout was the time travel episode, and it should have ended there.

The broader problem with Futurama is that Matt Groening is not funny and his day-to-day influence on this show seems greater than it ever was on the Simpsons. You have to remember that it was Matt Groening that created the general concept of The Simpsons, but it was Sam Simon who made it into what it was, and his influence remained for a few seasons until the show started to go downhill. Futurama never had a Sam Simon and the show was never consistently good.

[quote name='Spokker']It's still relatively expensive for a cable network like Comedy Central, and doesn't bring in the ratings like The Daily Show or publicity like Colbert.[/QUOTE]

The ratings for Futurama is higher than Daily Show, btw.

[quote name='elessar123']The ratings for Futurama is higher than Daily Show, btw.[/QUOTE]

I'm seeing Daily Show being higher more often, which probably coincides with the times when the Daily Show is on hiatus.

Check the August 29th, 2012 ratings, when Comedy Central aired "31st Century Fox" and "Naturama" for the first time. That night the Daily Show was also new and Hermann Cain was the guest.

Daily Show got 1.7 million viewers and Futurama got 1.3 million. For the record, Colbert also got 1.3 million viewers, but his show is considerably better at getting Comedy Central good press. An episode of Futurama costs over a million dollars to produce and you rarely hear about it in the mainstream press. Colbert gets himself into the mainstream with various stunts every few months.

The week before, Futurama did beat the Daily Show, but the Daily Show was on vacation. For comparison, reruns of Family Guy on Adult Swim consistently beat all these shows. I don't think online viewership comes into play here. All these shows likely see a lot of online viewing and piracy as well.

As the audience for pretty much everything except for the Super Bowl and the Oscars becomes more diluted, and TV is no longer a communal experience, I think you're going to see cheaper and cheaper shows because of smaller and smaller audiences. I was listening to an interview with Sam Simon about how much harder it is to get rich in TV now (well, rich like him), and that there are so many options out there. I think the only place you're going to see Simpsons-style animation is probably Fox. If any animated show could only find a home at a cable network, then I think the animation is going to either suffer, or it just won't air.

Cable networks won't pay for that. Howard Stern had a cartoon in production called Howard Stern the High School Years, and the cable network wanted it to be done in Flash because it was cheaper. Stern saw a sample and thought it looked like shit, and he demanded it be hand-drawn. The show never went further than that.

[quote name='Clak']Yeah that ramped the adult humor up because it was on video/cable.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't really thought of that but that definitely could be a part of it. Then I'd say that the tighter restrictions when they were on Fox made them try a little harder and come up with better humor/stories.

Though on the other hand, Family Guy has some of the crudest stuff I've seen and it runs on a network. It doesn't seem like there wasn't anything in the new Futurama that I haven't seen in other network shows like that. But like I said before, the new stuff was mostly good - I just got a general feeling of it being a notch lower in terms of adult humor than the original 4 seasons. Not that the first 4 didn't have some adult situations. The Amazon episode and the one where Fry becomes his own grandpa come to mind ;). Of course that latter one is one of the all time greats and even though it was "adult" in nature, it was done very well.

[quote name='Spokker']
Many of the recent episodes were really bad. I couldn't handle the one where they turn into animals. The standout was the time travel episode, and it should have ended there.[/QUOTE]

I didn't like both new season finales. The one with the three skits with different animation and the animal ones. Both had a few funny spots, but nothing to make me excited.

I think Time Travel is the best of the new episodes. The others for me are the when Bender is overclocked and the one when Bender and Hermes look for the inspector who made him.

Futurama does have some amazing episodes over the years. I love the original finale with the Robot Devil and the one with the four leaf clover. Both endings are some of the most heartwarming/tear wrenching scenes I've ever seen. Even more so than the one with the dog.

I love when Fry plays the Grumpy Snail.

[quote name='Dokstarr']Futurama does have some amazing episodes over the years. I love the original finale with the Robot Devil and the one with the four leaf clover.[/QUOTE]

Two of my favorites.

Yeah, the Robot Devil one was really good - great song and all.

I just watched a few of the newer ones tonight that I had only seen parts of before. The one I think called "Reincarnation" is really good - probably one of the best new ones. That is the one done in 3 animation styles (old-time Mickey Mouse, 8-bit video game, and Anime). Those last two, in particular, ought to appeal to the typical CAG ;).

And I also watched the one where Bender is overclocked - that is pretty good too. So there is definitely some good stuff in the new episodes.

bread's done
Back