E74 Error Code in Q4 (hardware failure)

xSXEx

CAG Veteran
While playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, right before the boss battle at the FEMA facility, the picture and graphics started to fail.The picture became grainy and glitchy. After I saved the game and quit I turned off my Xbox. The next day I turned it on to continue the game and received the E74 error message. I was able to get pass this and start gaming again but the picture is still malfunctioning. I haven't tried other game discs because I sold most of my games to gamestop to make room for others but I did try games on my HD I purchased off of XBLM and they worked fine but the picture was a little dark.

Is it a damaged GPU? Can a bad game disc cause it (the game was used)? What kind of damage does the disc need to have for it to cause damage if it does? Is there a way to fix the picture without opening the XBOX?

Thanks,

xSXEx

PS

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum but I'd appreciate any comments.

[quote name='xSXEx']While playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, right before the boss battle at the FEMA facility, the picture and graphics started to fail.The picture became grainy and glitchy. After I saved the game and quit I turned off my Xbox. The next day I turned it on to continue the game and received the E74 error message. I was able to get pass this and start gaming again but the picture is still malfunctioning. I haven't tried other game discs because I sold most of my games to gamestop to make room for others but I did try games on my HD I purchased off of XBLM and they worked fine but the picture was a little dark.

Is it a damaged GPU? Can a bad game disc cause it (the game was used)? What kind of damage does the disc need to have for it to cause damage if it does? Is there a way to fix the picture without opening the XBOX?

Thanks,

xSXEx

PS

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum but I'd appreciate any comments.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, IIRC E74 is typically a GPU failure. Nah, no such thing as a "bad game disc" causing it. Old style 360? You're pretty much done.

I've fixed many e74.

Get out the heatgun and buy some thermal compound and nuts/bolts. It'll come back.

ADD: e74 is actually the ANA/HANA scaler chip skipping out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup had that problem and got it replaced by support after they sent me back my console and in 6 days got the RROD. Lol what a long month that was.

On my second replacement 360 I got the E74 one fucking month after the warranty ran out. I found a guide to RRoDing your own console and did that. Basically, unhook every peripheral (including the HDD and AV cables) and turn the console vertical and upside down. Turn it on, and while wearing an insulated glove run a straight paperclip along the exposed circuit board through the ventilation slits. It took me a couple of tries but I finally got it to RRoD. Filled out the online request, got my free replacement one month later.

If you don't qualify for the 3 year warranty I'd either try the thermal compound fix or just buy a slim.

Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll have to send it in to get it fixed. I just got the damn thing fixed last year the first time I got the RROD.

bread's done
Back