Dead or Alive 5 (360, PS3) $19.99 at Amazon

This came up in a previous thread - apparently a 'new' version of Dead or Alive 5 was teased recently, so folks may want to wait for news on that to surface.

Just a heads up for PS3 users who also have PS+; Dead or Alive 5 recently became a free Plus game for Europe and the US has been getting practically the same free games a few months later. So yeah, 99% certain to come to the US PS+ as part of the Instant Game Collection.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Just a heads up for PS3 users who also have PS+; Dead or Alive 5 recently became a free Plus game for Europe and the US has been getting practically the same free games a few months later. So yeah, 99% certain to come to the US PS+ as part of the Instant Game Collection.[/QUOTE]

[sarcasm]I sure wish we had more fighting games with PS+.[/sarcasm]

[quote name='bshirk']Hopefully it'll eventually hit $10.[/QUOTE]Used price can be had for close to $13 before tax using the b-day code

PS3 http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/dead-or-alive-5/100136
X360 http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/dead-or-alive-5/100137

Collector's Edition is on sale too for $40
PS3 http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/dead-or-alive-5-gamestop-exclusive-collectors-edition/103034
X360 http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/dead-or-alive-5-gamestop-exclusive-collectors-edition/103035

OP amazon has matched Gamestop

Ah, good thing I didn't buy it yet. I wanted all those bonus costumes, but it adds up to a lot of money. So hopefully this re-release will include all the additional costumes and new characters, then I'll get it for sure.

It's getter harder these days to buy "version 1" game releases when more and more are coming out with better/more content with "version 2". Of course you have to wait a year or so before the re-release but like me, many people have a massive backlog these days, so not much of an issue to wait.

[quote name='Chocoburger']Ah, good thing I didn't buy it yet. I wanted all those bonus costumes, but it adds up to a lot of money. So hopefully this re-release will include all the additional costumes and new characters, then I'll get it for sure.

It's getter harder these days to buy "version 1" game releases when more and more are coming out with better/more content with "version 2". Of course you have to wait a year or so before the re-release but like me, many people have a massive backlog these days, so not much of an issue to wait.[/QUOTE]
Fighting games that aren't by NRS are probably the worst genre for that, though. They tend to not have very interesting singleplayer content, and the longer you wait after release, the less people there are to play multiplayer against (both in matchmaking and locally), and the more likely it is that anyone you get matched up against is going to be far better than you.

If your only objective in playing a fighter is to screw around against the AI or to be a lab monster, it's a little different, but it's definitely not like waiting for a singleplayer game to go on sale, where you'll derive just as much enjoyment years later, or even Call of Duty, which maintains a fairly large online playerbase for quite a while after release.

[quote name='Chocoburger']
It's getter harder these days to buy "version 1" game releases when more and more are coming out with better/more content with "version 2". Of course you have to wait a year or so before the re-release but like me, many people have a massive backlog these days, so not much of an issue to wait.[/QUOTE]Agreed, I'd rather pay $10-$15 more on day for the actual LE/SE complete game then $60 for the vanilla knowing there will be a GOTY. The 1st company to put this in play correctly will see huge gains in day 1 sales. And since it's a copycat error everyone else will follow.

[quote name='Chocoburger']Ah, good thing I didn't buy it yet. I wanted all those bonus costumes, but it adds up to a lot of money. So hopefully this re-release will include all the additional costumes and new characters, then I'll get it for sure.

It's getter harder these days to buy "version 1" game releases when more and more are coming out with better/more content with "version 2". Of course you have to wait a year or so before the re-release but like me, many people have a massive backlog these days, so not much of an issue to wait.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that massive backlog taking all that space should result in some benefit. Much happier I picked up Read Dead Redemption GOTY for $15 recently than I would be had I purchased a vanilla copy instead.
DOA5 I will definitely hold off until hearing more about this new version.

That's not really Tecmo Koei's MO, and IMO that's a good thing for exactly the reason you said. Their updated versions of games usually don't include extra content from the originals. For example, the Dynasty Warriors Empires games never include the base game. They trumpeted the fact that DLC costumes bought on PS3 version of DOA would work on the Vita version - and they seem to sell pretty well - so I doubt they'll just give away costumes for free. Maybe a handful will be included as a "gateway drug."

Was gonna try to pick up a used copy of DOA5 for PS3 with the 20% coupon but my local GS has a copy of DOA5+ used and I could pick it up for $25 after coupon.

Then there's the high probability DOA5+ will end up free on PS Plus soon....aw man.

Edit: Ended up swooping that used copy of DOA5+ for Vita ($25.19 after coupon/PUR Pro and no tax cause store credit) since you don't need an online pass. I will wait for the "ultimate" edition or whatever its called to pick it up on PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a fun game... also there's sweat! There is a ton of DLC for this game though (costumes & what not) so maybe an all-in-one pack would be a better deal if they include it all. I already have the SE.

bread's done
Back