Best Buy RZ Gamer Club Unlocked vs Gamestop PUR

kme06d

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm curious as to which one is better for someone who doesn't trade-in/pre-order games, but wants good deals/discounts.

I've been a member of both, but I now side with Gamestop, as they always have what games I'm looking for and they're a lot friendlier than the local Best Buy. Best Buy's GC program is pretty decent. Lemme see if I can remember.

Best Buy Gamers Club:
10% Discount on all pre-owned games
$20 certificate for every select title you pre-order (although you may not use it...)
Magazine/e-magazine every month (for 12 months/1 year) with exclusive offers on select games/accessories (e.g. $20 off DOOM 3: BFG Edition or $40 off Turtle Beach X32)
Double Reward Zone points on every game-related item you purchase (I think this was one of the benefits. Someone can call me out on it, but I'm pretty sure this was one of the perks.)
10% bonus trade-in credit

Gamestop Power Up Rewards Pro Membership:
10% off all pre-owned games/accessories
Exclusive coupons that regular PUR members can't access.
10% bonus trade-in credit
10% off strategy guides
Annual subscription to GameInformer magazine
10% bonus points (PUR points) on every purchase

They're both $14.99 and they both offer a lot. Best Buy's program will pay for itself quicker and features more, but Gamestop has always had what I needed and I can usually get it for a decent price.

IMO:
What kind of deals/discounts are you more interested in?

If you like used game deals more than new games then you would like gamestop.

If you like buy new game deals more than used games then you would like bestbuy.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']IMO:
What kind of deals/discounts are you more interested in?

If you like used game deals more than new games then you would like gamestop.

If you like buy new game deals more than used games then you would like bestbuy.[/QUOTE]

I generally prefer used games because they are cheaper, but I will choose whatever option is cheapest. I just feel like Best Buy has been offering more sales/deals than GS lately, that's why I'm asking about the two rewards programs.

If you prefer used games, then GS is probably preferred. Better selection that's available sooner than BB since they ship the games out to get resealed or whatever.

I prefer BB's, but that's because I buy 90% most of the time. The 2X points on games (3X with an RZ Credit Card) is pretty sweet, but not worth it if you don't shop at BB often. I have Silver too, so I get a bit more back (3.5X I think).

Best buy has been offering a lot more sales lately or better deals at least in my opinion but for those deals they aren't exclusive to the Gamer unlocked. I have only been a member of the unlocked for a couple months but I haven't used any of the monthly coupons, all of the games with the coupons have been cheaper somewhere else or Best Buy will put them on sale for cheaper after the coupons expire.

One example was Injustice Toys R Us had it on sale for $34.99 and Best Buy Gamer coupon was offering $10 which they won't let you Price Match and use the coupon. I like the points and the extra 10% on trade ins but so far that's been the best benefit of Gamer Unlocked.

PUR is really great for trade ins because the 10% stacks on all other offers like the 50% trade in bonus. And it can be nice for getting points to use for coupons like $5 off items or $10 off items. Lately I've been buying most of my used games from Gamestop since they have had better prices with the discounts but for new games Best Buy has had better deals and they price match. I ended up getting both just from trading in games so I felt better about purchasing them.

I just gotta say, if you ever preorder ONCE, then it essentially has paid for itself at bestbuy... Know how much I paid for Dead Island Riptide? $15.94 (used a previous $20 RZ Cert, and had pricematched newegg when they had the preorder at $35 (another great benefit, although now pricematching has to be done at the time of the purchase...). It's always useful when a different place is having a sale, like say amazon, but instead of waiting a couple day's you could always walk right into a bestbuy, price match the item, and walk out with the game, 40 minutes later of course after they finally manage to do it on their crazy slow system's...
Bestbuy IS good for trading in games (nice little trade in value list on their site) Plus you can get a gift card that's good for anything.

So, my two cent's would be Gamestop for used games (they generally have a better selection, and best buy you cant examine them first.
It's a toss up between the two for Trade in's, Best buy you can see what each game will get you, and many newer game's will get you a very good amount but gamestop offer's better deal's on older but still popular game's, and with some promo's offer you more than the game really should be worth.
Although new game's and (In the past, Pre-order's for a few of the bigger title's) are better to get at bestbuy, you can pricematch, so any sale from anywhere is essentially a sale at bestbuy, also their coupon's are better (YES I KNOW, not as good as they used to be) but heck atleast the magazine is of SOME value!

I have both & to be honest it pays to have them both. Even if your not a person who trades in alot of games there are deals from BB to GS to BB that allow you pay off a 1 yr PUR or GCU membership. Don't limit yoursel to just one when having both programs at your fingertips will save you time/money in the short/long term.
The b2g1 coupons you get from both also come in handy.

If you get both you will s we save money in the long run. I easily paid off both memberships with trade in bonuses after my first month, Best buy's welcome coupons are pretty good too. I used the B2G1 on new games under 40 on Far Cry 3 when it was on sale. My buddy bought a copy for 30 and I sold the free copy for 45 making mine free. 2x RZ points on gaming purchases is also a good deal.

[quote name='kme06d']I'm curious as to which one is better for someone who doesn't trade-in/pre-order games, but wants good deals/discounts.[/QUOTE]
I am a member to both the Gamestop PUR and @gamer subscription. I would recommend the Best Buy one. Best Buy offers a consistent amount of used/new deals weekly and monthly with the @gamer coupons. The gamestop PUR membership doesn't guarantee you much each month besides 10% trade in and pre-owned purchases.

bread's done
Back