GTAV: Anyone else think it it sounds WAY too big?

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
The game looks nice so far but hearing that it is 3.5 times larger than Red Dead Redemption is a definite negative in my book. Anyone else agree or am I crazy?

I agree, but I feel that with with every GTA game since 3. Game starts out good for the first few hours but then you realize you have the deal with the absolutely abysmal control and save issues for another 15 - 20 hours and then you quit. With games like Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs doing the open world thing much better than any GTA game, this new one will have to pull out all the stops for me to even give it a chance.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I agree, but I feel that with with every GTA game since 3. Game starts out good for the first few hours but then you realize you have the deal with the absolutely abysmal control and save issues for another 15 - 20 hours and then you quit. With games like Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs doing the open world thing much better than any GTA game, this new one will have to pull out all the stops for me to even give it a chance.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, the last few GTA games just honestly have not been nearly as good as Saints or games like Sleeping Dogs, I barely even scratched the campaign on GTA4 since it just did not hold my interest and really wasn't that fun to me.

As for the world size, if they do it right I'm fine with it being giant, but it really depends on what they fill it with and how long it means it's going to take to get from point A to point B, especially during missions where you might not be able to fast travel across the city. A small lively city can be a lot more fun then a huge barren city and it can easily make the game more entertaining as well.

Sure it'll be big, but most of the action will likely revolve around some concentrated areas. I'm sure there will be a lot of big areas with little to no gameplay involvement, like a desert or forest. I'm more or less wondering how well the game will run... there have been questions about use of "target" images and how the fluent the character changing will work.

It's going to be interesting to see how GTAV and SR4 fare. GTAV is obviously going to sell like crazy, but what will critics and gamers say.

I'm excited for it - I didn't care for the main story in GTA 4 (Niko was boring IMO), but loved the 2 expansion packs.

Games like Just Cause 2 have shown me a big map isn't a problem when done right. Add that to the fact I loved the big map in GTA SA, my all time favorite GTA game.

Hopefully the soundtrack is good, nothing worse then shitty radio stations IMO.

Best part about GTA 5 (hopefully)? No more stupid phone calls from Roman to go bowling.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vinny']Sure it'll be big, but most of the action will likely revolve around some concentrated areas. I'm sure there will be a lot of big areas with little to no gameplay involvement, like a desert or forest. I'm more or less wondering how well the game will run... there have been questions about use of "target" images and how the fluent the character changing will work.

It's going to be interesting to see how GTAV and SR4 fare. GTAV is obviously going to sell like crazy, but what will critics and gamers say.[/QUOTE]

the gamers/critics will still give it a 10/10, because they have been dying for a sequel, since gta IV

[quote name='YBX87']the gamers/critics will still give it a 10/10, because they have been dying for a sequel, since gta IV[/QUOTE]
One came out it was called saint's row 3

[quote name='GUNNM']One came out it was called saint's row 3[/QUOTE]
are you going to get saints row 4? i am still undecided on getting gta v, until i see some real gameplay video.

[quote name='YBX87']are you going to get saints row 4? i am still undecided on getting gta v, until i see some real gameplay video.[/QUOTE]
I am willing to buy any game with laura bailey in it. I'm convinced she is leaving me subliminal messages in each game she voice acts in. You guys will see I'm right.

[quote name='GUNNM']I am willing to buy any game with laura bailey in it. I'm convinced she is leaving me subliminal messages in each game she voice acts in. You guys will see I'm right.[/QUOTE]

I don't know who Laura Bailey is.

I really think it depends on the diversity of the world, and the kind of gameplay involved. For the former, large game worlds like Skyrim are okay with me because there is enough unique locations, vistas and characters to encourage exploration... it's a big world, but you can tell that each square foot has been groomed by the programmers. For the latter, a game like Just Cause 2 might re-use alot of the same assets so that nearly every town looks the same, but the large, samey landscapes don't matter a whole lot since you are blasting across the map in all sorts of high-speed vehicles.

I think a good example of the kind of "too big" worlds that I don't enjoy are games like Far Cry and Assassin's Creed: they are beautiful to be sure, but the world is just so bland... with the exception of a few unique pieces of architecture, you cannot distinguish one street corner from the other in AC.

From what we've seen so far, I think the Rockstar guys are capable of making a large world that will work. One thing that I've heard from the previews is that the game revolves around "heists", so outside of big missions there will be smaller missions building up to it... one of my problems with the original San Andreas was that it just kept getting bigger and bigger and every mid-to-late game mission had you traversing half the countryside to get to your destination. From what it sounds like, smaller missions will be more evenly distributed throughout.

I hardly put anytime into GTA4. Vice City was my favorite. I feel though the size gives me more places to explore. So, it's more bang for the buck.

GTA4 was my only GTA game, and it got boring for me within the first hour or so. I have no interest in this one because of that.

I loved RDR and SR3, though. Sleeping Dogs was okay. I wanted it to be more like Yakuza, but they insisted on all those boring, generic gun fights and driving scenarios.

I think the reason they can tout that "3.5x larger" fact is because you now have the ability to go underwater. I'm thinking there may be underwater vehicles to help transverse the extra size. Even if it's just basic like San Andreas there probably a lot of the map you will never reach because you won't be exploring every crevice underwater unless you want to.

I think it's a huge positive that the map is going to be huge since that opens doors to airplanes/jets/larger planes which was something I missed in GTA IV.

I really hope they add more San Andreas elements (free roam/customization) than the lackluster side content in GTA IV.

RDR managed to make the landscape a character. It was varied enough to not be boring. There are the plains, deserts and mountains. It was really a condensed version of the American Southwest, similar to how Liberty City and Vice City are condensed versions of New York and Miami, respectively. One of the best things about San Andreas and RDR is how the landscape transforms as you travel. It's not an abrupt level change where desert level turns to mountain level, for example.

A bigger game world helps make sure these changes from environment to environment are more gradual. I would expect to see city to suburb to desert to mountain (travel from Los Angeles, to the San Gabriel Valley, to Palm Springs, then to Mount San Jacinto in real life). Urban jungle to suburban wasteland to desert & windmills to a snowy mountain peak. That's Southern California for you.

The trailers and screenshots don't really excite me as much as learning what the map is going to look like as a whole.

[quote name='GUNNM']I am willing to buy any game with laura bailey in it. I'm convinced she is leaving me subliminal messages in each game she voice acts in. You guys will see I'm right.[/QUOTE]
Right there with ya buddy... I was planning to get SR4 anyway but the news that L.B. is returning as The Boss just cements it.

As for GTA5, the story and production values look awesome but I would love to see some actual, real live gameplay instead of just the cutscenes. I'm a little wary of how the protagonist-switching is going to actually work.

[quote name='Javery']The game looks nice so far but hearing that it is 3.5 times larger than Red Dead Redemption is a definite negative in my book. Anyone else agree or am I crazy?[/QUOTE]

I agree, less could be more in these games, but the rockstar marketing dept disagrees, as does the bethesda marketing dept. they both like their games bloated for the sake of a bullet point, at the expense of quality.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
As for GTA5, the story and production values look awesome but I would love to see some actual, real live gameplay instead of just the cutscenes.[/QUOTE]You won't get gameplay videos complete with the HUD until the game is released and people upload their own video.

About a week or so before release when the game's street date is broken, gameplay videos will start popping up on YouTube and Rockstar will be working hard to get them taken down.

bread's done
Back