Sega's "huge mystery announcement that you would never suspect"

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
No idea what it is, but I doubt it's a new console. Maybe a Sonic/Mario crossover game. :roll:

Now watch, it'll just be something like "(x company) is buying Sega!" or some other thing that affects us in no way.

Everyone expects it to be something good. What if it's them announcing that this is the last E3 they're going to be at because they're getting out of the videogame market? That would be a big announcement too, you know.

In theory, i would love a new Sega console...but not for another generation or 2. They need more time to make a strong brand for themselves. If you take a look at the improvements to ESPN 2005, thats in the right direction.

My dream...a new NiGHTS game. With how well Veiwtiful Joe is doing with its suedo 3d, i think Sega could get away with a straight sequel...then there's the idea of a free roaming NiGHTS... (drool)

well, i really doubt its a new console. but i think if it was, it would be a good move on segas part, i mean think about it, the dream cast came out a little under 5 years ago, so between the end of this year and the end of next, their theoretical next console would be coming out.

also, think of how many more launch units it would sell because of all the people that love sega and never thought they would see another console.

however, both of those are rather doubtful. i dont think sega would want to risk it again afer establishing themselves as a sucessful 3rd party developer.

i'd love a new sega console as much as anyone, but its such a longshot

What Sega should do is partner up with Microsoft and rebrand the Xbox as a Sega console in Japan. It couldn't hurt.

[quote name='jmcc']What Sega should do is partner up with Microsoft and rebrand the Xbox as a Sega console in Japan. It couldn't hurt.[/quote]

like a dagger through my heart wouldnt hurt.

sega is a gaming company, and one of the best, i do not want to see them become a subsideary(sp) of microsoft...nothing more than a dev team to work for a company that i feel really dosent care about gaming.

ever since they said they were out of consoles, ive been wanting them to pair up with nintendo.

I think the "Sega Xbox" would be good for both Sega and MS...like punqy, i want the "it'll never happen" pairing of Nintendo and Sega.

God, that would be like finding Oreo Ice Cream all over again...my two favorite things...together.

Sega and Nintendo partnering up would be fine with me as long as they did "Fighters Megamix vs. Smash Brothers Melee." That would be like some kind of wonderful dream.

Sega seemed to realize the money isn't in hardware after the dreamcast. I'd be amazed to see a console. And with Nintendo's strangehold on the handheld market, as well as the upcoming GBDS and the PSP.. I can't see Sega deciding now is the right time to get back into that market. I'd say it has to be game related (or possibly a merger/buy-out)

[quote name='punqsux']no one said this yet...but it could be a handheld..[/quote]
Thats just what we need another handheld with GBA, DS, PSP and N-Gage.

Sega does another handheld, it'll probably smaler than the sp, but needs to be hoked up to a car battery to work.

i doubt it would be a handheld, and hope that it isnt. We dont need anymore, and whatever this thing is, i dont want it to fail

[quote name='spoo'][quote name='punqsux']no one said this yet...but it could be a handheld..[/quote]
Thats just what we need another handheld with GBA, DS, PSP and N-Gage.[/quote]
The N-Gage blows. And sucks.

I doubt that it would be a new console because the market can barely sustain three consoles as it is.
The idea of a merger DOES sound interesting though and knowing how Sega's been in talks to purchase many other companies it seems possible. If any console right now were to merge with Sega and offer exclusive content it would be huge.

[quote name='Storamin'][quote name='spoo'][quote name='punqsux']no one said this yet...but it could be a handheld..[/quote]
Thats just what we need another handheld with GBA, DS, PSP and N-Gage.[/quote]
The N-Gage blows. And sucks.[/quote]

all for $200?! sign me up

I agree with Wshakspear, I just hope them the best in whatever they come up with. A team-up with MS would be the bee's knees or whatever the kids say these days :)

I really don't think Sega would team up w/ microsoft. So far Sega games have done poorly on the xbox in terms of sales.

I haven't heard this possibility yet but maybe Sega's big secret is that they're finally going to come out of the closet but they've been too scared to tell Pop so far because, as we all know, he kind of hates the gays and Sega's pretty delicate.

No, seriously, maybe Sega's developing a "super off limits" title like, I dunno, "Mario 128" or something with that kind of "freakin' off limits" potential. Any takers? On this one, not the gay one.

From Nintendo's perspective, it would be a smart move to take on Sega. They would automatically get a respectable sports franchise, as well as a company that knows something about the latest online craze.

However, I'm wondering if this would be lucrative for Sega. Partner up with a company that you pulled all of your sports games from because nobody was buying them? That's a pretty big chunk of your profits - and then the risk of giving up that massive chunk of PS2 faithful who probably buy a lot of Sega games just because they don't know what else to buy (not flaming PS2, just saying there are SO many people who own one you get a bigger portion of all types).

I would love to see Sega and Nintendo together but the only way I can see it making sense is in some sort of "dare to dream" scenario where the companies decided to throw all their eggs in one basket and give one massive push back against MS and Sony.

i'd love to c some sort of dreamcast 2 but i dont think its possible. i doubt it'd have too much of a third party support since developers would b scared it might turn into the original dc. still the idea is really tempting. i'd probally buy one if it came out.

Sega does another handheld, it'll probably smaler than the sp, but needs to be hoked up to a car battery to work.

HAHAHAHHAAHA, *Remembers my Game Gear lasting about 2 hours per battery charge*

Ahhh... fond memories.

People would like to be alchemists and turn ordinary metals into gold, turn Sega into a powerhouse in their own minds. The fact of the matter is, Sega, for a brief period in the early 90's was on the road to becoming "the next Nintendo." Many years later, they've been reduced to a lowly 3rd party, being outclassed by companies that previously had developed for their systems. Sega is presently making a bit of a recovery, but they're no longer in the same league as a Nintendo or a Konami. They're fighting for survival.

Presposterous ideas have been spewed in this thread. To this day, you can buy NiGHTS Into Dreams brand new with the 3D controller. The game didn't sell. A sequel is out of the question. A new Sega branded console? Konami has a better chance in that area, but they won't go there; the software business is where Sega should focus their attention.

The world has moved on. Sega's sports games continue to be outsold by EA's. Their newest abominations betray their storied past (Billy Hatcher, Astro Boy PS2, etc...), and their newest hits like Virtua Fighter 4 evolution sell well, but can only do so much for a company that has broken so many promises.

[quote name='Firebrand']
Presposterous ideas have been spewed in this thread. To this day, you can buy NiGHTS Into Dreams brand new with the 3D controller. The game didn't sell. A sequel is out of the question. A new Sega branded console? Konami has a better chance in that area, but they won't go there; the software business is where Sega should focus their attention.

The world has moved on. Sega's sports games continue to be outsold by EA's. Their newest abominations betray their storied past (Billy Hatcher, Astro Boy PS2, etc...), and their newest hits like Virtua Fighter 4 evolution sell well, but can only do so much for a company that has broken so many promises.[/quote]

There's nothing wrong with wishful thinking. Sega's games still have quality gameplay in them, and the Dreamcast in my opinion did not break any promises.

I don't think Sega will become a powerhouse, and no one expressly said they would be. The company did make some mistakes in the past, but it still is alive and kicking. I think I can pretty much speak for everyone else that I have fond memories of Sega systems, and would like to see them be competitive again. A competitive gaming industry makes for happy gamers. I am just anxious to see what happens despite what communists like yourself have to say.

Damn Firebrand, that hurt. But the truth always hurts.
I'm thinking that since SEGA was bought by a (predomintly) hardware mfg, the big announcement would be ....(wait for it).....

PINBALL!!!

No one would expect it, and I would be extremely happy to see a few new noisemakers in Dave & Busters.

I have heard from a secret source, that Sega is merging with Commodore to make the VIC-2005 with a built in 32X and get this a Coleco Adam emulator.. My source is my friend's cousin's sister who is dating a guy who works at Gamestop.

SEGA was killed by their marketing dept. in America. Almost every good game had to be imported for the Saturn and the suprise launch at E3 along with developers not having any time to be aware of this was too much to recover from.

Games wise SEGA is still one of the top tier game makers. Yes the do make bombs, but so does every development house. Virtua Fighter, Shenmue, and Sonic (not lately but usually) are all top franchises in gaming. You also have the fact that they are the only ones in the Arcade market left (even CAPCOM lets SEGA deal with its Arcade units), which means they know something.

Also to the people that say that Xbox should have the SEGA name on it in Japan, Japan has never been a strong market for SEGA so naming it with the SEGA brand would be useless. Yes Virtua Fighter is huge over there, but the Genesis was big in America and not so much in Japan, and although they did begin to gain a large following over there, it was never enough to sustain a console.

Wait... isnt Sega still partly owned by Sammy?

What Firebrand says makes a great deal of sense. if anything they could be headed for a major restructuring. A reorganization of resources to better handel buisness and planning of new titles because frankly thats what they need. Usually these "big announcements" arent anything We gamers care so much about especially when they revealed their line up of E# games like 4 months ago.

I could see Sega teaming up with Nintendo as that would provide Nintendo with some muscle to take on Sony and Microsoft.

I could also see Microsoft buy Sega so that they have some strength outside the US. If Microsoft buys Sega then they could take on Sony and probably win if they don't make the next generation console stripped down.

From what the email Sega sent out, it made it seem like it was good news instead of something bad.

It said it was huge news that no one ever thought would happen. Well, I highly doubt that is to announce a final merger with Sammy.

To me, it would seem a merger with Sony would be more farfetched than Nintendo or Microsoft. Mainly because most DCers blame Sony's early propaganda as the main reason why the Dreamcast failed. Or they may sign on to develop soley for Sony in the next generation. That would seem like the most financially sound plan.

I highly doubt that Sega is bringing a new console or handheld out. Although I would certainly love it if they did. I think Sega has burned its fanbase way too many times. Continued support was a huge question mark for the Dreamcast when Sega brought it out, and what did Sega do? They announced the discontinuation of the console less than two years after it was released.

How could Sega believe that consumers would flock to them now? Also, they haven't exactly been burning up the game scene lately. Like someone else said earlier, Astroboy and that gay egg game was just sad.

I hope that it's a positive announcement and one that isn't foolish. Sega is finally turning some profits after years of losing money. The last thing they need now is another failed console.

the huge announcement is probably that there is no announcement and they just tricked counless websites and people into talking about sega nonstop for a week leading upto E3. thanks for the free advertising, here is a hat.

You know, people need to stop thinking about Sega like they are even big enough to be a merger for one of the console manufacturers now...
they would be an aquisistion. Nintendo and Microsoft both have enough cash just lying around to purchase Sega.

it only helps if the things they;re saying are GOOD things! :p Most of the posts here have been about how they dropped the ball and are a 3rd rate company.... so much for that theory! :D

Anyway it probably IS a closer merger with sammy, as the last thing Sega would do is give themselves to M$. They'd be disolved in gate's digestive juices in no time if that happened And Sega likes their distinct existance alot more than an EXstinct one.

CAPCOM would be the only company I could see merging with SEGA. Considering how tight they were when SEGA was making consoles and that SEGA distributes their arcade games it makes the most sense.

Let us not forget that Sammy is also close to CAPCOM.

I don't know.. I don't think that an acquisition of Sega by Nintendo is impossible. Nintendo has been hording cash for a long while, and is actually sitting on a huge pile of yen. If Sammy was unhappy with the progress Sega was making in the arcade arena (the reason Sammy bought them in the first place), they would probably be willing to sell.

There seems to be a decent amount of synergy between the two companies as well, since they seem to share many of the same views (unlike Sega and Microsoft).

You know, if that were the case, it would make a lot more sense why Nintendo just let Silicon Knights walk away... why settle for them if Sega was on the market. Could you imagine what Nintendo could do advertising and character branding-wise to get Sonic back on the market?

it could be the ultimate Smash Bros. game. Add online play and its pretty much going to be GOTY IMO.

Nintendo would get Sports franchises that it needs to succeed in America. SEGA gets to retain a similar fanbase to the one it already had.

Nintendo let Rare go long before the possibilty of buying part of Sega was discussed. Yeah I do think it would be an escellent thing if nintendo and sega were to join permanatly but I dont see it happening because they have very different buisness styles(even though they;re both hurting right now). But I do think its more likely than some of the other things I've heard in this thread.

[quote name='JSweeney']I don't know.. I don't think that an acquisition of Sega by Nintendo is impossible. Nintendo has been hording cash for a long while, and is actually sitting on a huge pile of yen. If Sammy was unhappy with the progress Sega was making in the arcade arena (the reason Sammy bought them in the first place), they would probably be willing to sell.

There seems to be a decent amount of synergy between the two companies as well, since they seem to share many of the same views (unlike Sega and Microsoft).

You know, if that were the case, it would make a lot more sense why Nintendo just let Silicon Knights walk away... why settle for them if Sega was on the market. Could you imagine what Nintendo could do advertising and character branding-wise to get Sonic back on the market?[/quote]

Sega being bought is practically impossible, the comapny is publicly traded, there is no way they can just announce that their company was bought, whoever buys them must buy from shareholders (see Sammy), and it's just all around bad business if Sega isn't letting their shareholders know what's up. A partnership or console exclusivity is possible, but you can't keep the actual acquisition of a publicly traded company secret.

Finally!

They are finally going to tell us how to actually get Sonic and Tails unlocked in Super Smash Bros.

Best news ever, my thumbs are starting to get numb.

bread's done
Back