Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen (PS3) $34.91 @ Amazon

Amazing price if you've never played it. Otherwise, it's an expansion only for people who played beyond level 50 or so.

so torn by this, i hate capcom as a company but generally like their games. i refuse to buy their products and opt to rent/borrow their games. but i'd really like get this game but i can't bring myself to support them. ugh, why can't they have not ass backwards dlc models that require re-re-releases versus actual dlc.

[quote name='webkatt']so torn by this, i hate capcom as a company but generally like their games. i refuse to buy their products and opt to rent/borrow their games. but i'd really like get this game but i can't bring myself to support them. ugh, why can't they have not ass backwards dlc models that require re-re-releases versus actual dlc.[/QUOTE]

So you like what they put out and want them to continue, but don't want to support them.

Makes a lot of sense.

Have the changes/improvements created a noticeably more enjoyable gameplay experience? I really did want to like the first one but man, the lack of fast travel really put me off after 15 hours.

[quote name='TooPoor']As soon as this hits $19.99 it's mine.[/QUOTE]

I'm right there with you but I just hope it happens before Black Friday

[quote name='webkatt']so torn by this, i hate capcom as a company but generally like their games. i refuse to buy their products and opt to rent/borrow their games. but i'd really like get this game but i can't bring myself to support them. ugh, why can't they have not ass backwards dlc models that require re-re-releases versus actual dlc.[/QUOTE]

you could always buy them used, at that point it depends on which retailer u get it from.

[quote name='Gumshoe']Have the changes/improvements created a noticeably more enjoyable gameplay experience? I really did want to like the first one but man, the lack of fast travel really put me off after 15 hours.[/QUOTE]

You get a infinite ferrystone, so you don't have to worry about running out, but you still have to beat the game at least once before you can go about planting down more than one fast travel location.

[quote name='Indignate']You get a infinite ferrystone, so you don't have to worry about running out, but you still have to beat the game at least once before you can go about planting down more than one fast travel location.[/QUOTE]

Not true, others can gift Port Crystals to you. I had 8 on my first play through.

it's a shame Dear Abby died earlier this year, she might have been able to help you with your relationship troubles with capcom

This one actually merits a re-release (and hey, if fucking Bethesda can get away with their constant GOTY shit, then Capcom deserves a pass on this one) because all the content added is endgame. Dragon's Dogma by itself was a complete package and this really only adds more for the diehard fans to check out after beating the game.

Go ahead and rent it at least, but my guess is you'll get hooked and end up buying it. ;)
[quote name='StryderOmega']So just two questions: does this port your character over from the original?[/QUOTE]Yes it imports your save and creates a new save leaving the old one intact.

Last edited by a moderator:

[quote name='skoomadiver']I'm right there with you but I just hope it happens before Black Friday[/QUOTE]

[quote name='uthoria']Tempting, but ill wait for the inevitable $19.99 price point[/QUOTE]Wow, looks like I'm part of the cool crowd, since I can wait for $19.99, too. :bouncy:

I know it's Capcom but, DLC isn't magic. Even sports games need occasional engine tweaks and additions that DLC can't replace or add onto properly due to how things are built (hard-coded) during the development process.

[quote name='Jodou']You guys might be waiting a long time if the price holds as long as the original did. ;)[/QUOTE]Eh, if Gamestop drops the used price by $5 to $29.99 within the month, I'll pick up a copy with the birthday coupon (making it $21.59+tax). ;)

[quote name='Vigilante']Eh, if Gamestop drops the used price by $5 to $29.99 within the month, I'll pick up a copy with the birthday coupon (making it $21.59+tax). ;)[/QUOTE]
Good idea, trouble is finding one, I don't think I ever saw it around.

[quote name='Jodou']You guys might be waiting a long time if the price holds as long as the original did. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yep, first one was super stingy. A lot of people here are going to be waiting a while.

It's a game worth playing whenever you get around to it though!

[quote name='TooPoor']Good idea, trouble is finding one, I don't think I ever saw it around.[/QUOTE]There's a single copy that's been sitting at a local GS of mine for the past week now, and I really hope there's a price drop or small sale soon before someone else snatches it up. :pray:

[quote name='Vigilante']Eh, if Gamestop drops the used price by $5 to $29.99 within the month, I'll pick up a copy with the birthday coupon (making it $21.59+tax). ;)[/QUOTE]

Saw a used copy pop up at a nearby GameStop and I'm debating picking it up with a birthday coupon now for $25.19 without tax w/store credit. I would usually wait for a sale too but who knows if another birthday coupon will get posted for June or future months. :cry:

[quote name='Vigilante']Wow, looks like I'm part of the cool crowd, since I can wait for $19.99, too. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

That's my price point but I remember Dragons Dogma held its value for the longest time. I can see this game being $19.99 eventually.

[quote name='DemonsMaster']Saw a used copy pop up at a nearby GameStop and I'm debating picking it up with a birthday coupon now for $25.19 without tax w/store credit. I would usually wait for a sale too but who knows if another birthday coupon will get posted for June or future months. :cry:[/QUOTE]You could play a weird sort of "game" with that copy if you wanted--buy it now with the coupon, return it within 7 days and rebuy it with the coupon again to "renew" the 7-day return period, repeat until you're close to the 5/31 expiration date and decide before then if you want to keep the game. ;)

[quote name='Vigilante']You could play a weird sort of "game" with that copy if you wanted--buy it now with the coupon, return it within 7 days and rebuy it with the coupon again to "renew" the 7-day return period, repeat until you're close to the 5/31 expiration date and decide before then if you want to keep the game. ;)[/QUOTE]

Haha that could work but no way would I be able to keep it up until there was a sale :(

[quote name='Vigilante']Wow, looks like I'm part of the cool crowd, since I can wait for $19.99, too. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Am I the only one in the $15 or under crowd? I never played the original and I can wait as long as it takes to drop more than 50%.

[quote name='Indignate']I got mine for $10 new :roll:

It was Black Friday though.[/QUOTE]

but that's 360 only.

[quote name='Indignate']I got mine for $10 new :roll:

It was Black Friday though.[/QUOTE]
You do realize it was for 360 only, and not the same game right?

I got the original for $15 at best buy then realized this was coming out. Tried returning it but they said I was past the 15 day return period... Since when do you only get 15 days. I though moat stuff was 30 or 90 if unopened.

Drat, this includes both the original and expansion? Now I feel foolish for buying the original for $15 at best buy. I will wait another 6 months to see if they have another DLC content release... knowing capcom for their history.

I also got the original game on the cheap last year and now that I've got a save file, there's really no reason to keep playing through that disc right? I literally am at the starting area, so I don't think I'll miss out on anything if I just wait and pick up DA early next year.

[quote name='Jodou']This one actually merits a re-release (and hey, if fucking Bethesda can get away with their constant GOTY shit, then Capcom deserves a pass on this one) because all the content added is endgame. Dragon's Dogma by itself was a complete package and this really only adds more for the diehard fans to check out after beating the game.

Go ahead and rent it at least, but my guess is you'll get hooked and end up buying it. ;)
Yes it imports your save and creates a new save leaving the old one intact.[/QUOTE]

thats the part when i'm torn. i know all the stuff added is endgame, more like an expansion instead of standard crappy dlc models they've been going with as of late. i however feel it is bs that they couldn't have made it digital. thats why i never buy capcom games anymore. if you buy day 1 you're basically screwed. i however want to support this title as it is the original game and expansion. but my hate for capcom runs deep

i'll bite at 20

[quote name='kidrocklive']I got the original for $15 at best buy then realized this was coming out. Tried returning it but they said I was past the 15 day return period... Since when do you only get 15 days. I though moat stuff was 30 or 90 if unopened.[/QUOTE]
It caused a *Huge* stir here in CAG, you didn't catch it?

[quote name='shivan128']Drat, this includes both the original and expansion? Now I feel foolish for buying the original for $15 at best buy. I will wait another 6 months to see if they have another DLC content release... knowing capcom for their history.[/QUOTE]
or just wait 6 months and buy at $19.99, like what the cool kids do:cool:

I would like it to drop to this price as well, but...

[quote name='Jodou']You guys might be waiting a long time if the price holds as long as the original did. ;)[/QUOTE]

The original stayed at $40 until about the time when Dark Arisen was released. I can hope this won't be the case.

[quote name='domon']I would definitely get this now if my backlog didn't consist of 10+ games that are longer than 50 hours.[/QUOTE]

+1

I paid $25 for this one during Buy.com's $20 off of $50 promotion a few weeks back. Not too much of a noticeable difference from the 4 or so hours I put into it so far except that the Eternal Ferrystone I have now is probably the most useful item in the game. I find myself going back to Gran Soren all the time to regroup. That combined with Port Crystals that I can use to port anywhere really solves the only complaint I had with the original game.

[quote name='TooPoor']You do realize it was for 360 only, and not the same game right?[/QUOTE]
I took it as him responding to the numerous people talking about how the original held its value for so long.

[quote name='simmias']I took it as him responding to the numerous people talking about how the original held its value for so long.[/QUOTE]
I don't think the MS BF sale serves as a good counter-argument for this issue (similar to the nature Target clearance), well, unless you just equate "value" with "the lowest price appearing at retailers".

I took it as him bragging about he was able to catch the MS flash sale:cold:

[quote name='webkatt']thats the part when i'm torn. i know all the stuff added is endgame, more like an expansion instead of standard crappy dlc models they've been going with as of late. i however feel it is bs that they couldn't have made it digital. thats why i never buy capcom games anymore. if you buy day 1 you're basically screwed. i however want to support this title as it is the original game and expansion. but my hate for capcom runs deep

i'll bite at 20[/QUOTE]

Games need to be built to support additions; it's entirely possible they did not expect the original game to do as well as it did and later on decided to make a pseudo-sequel first before a real one (which appears to be coming for next-gen systems eventually). The creator, after all, is very passionate about this particular project and probably pushed for the new zone, which as I alluded to earlier, isn't just something that can be spliced in.

Just look at the trophies/achievements situation, they know it impacts sales to at least a small degree and they wish they could do something about it, but because it's a re-release and because the new content isn't technically DLC they're not allowed to add any more than the original limit.

bread's done
Back