iPhone 5 for $99 at Tmobile question

hotpocketninja

CAGiversary!
Feedback
68 (100%)
Hi,

My contract with Verizon already expired, and I'm thinking of switching to Tmobile to get the iPhone 5 for $99 or free if you trade in your used phone (I have a iPhone 4 from Verizon). Read from a few articles online like this one http://news.yahoo.com/t-mobile-offers-iphone-5-0-down-carrier-123524104.html

I don't understand how the monthly bill works, says you have to pay for the phone completely for 2 years, isn't it like the rest of the carriers? Where you agree to stay with them for 2 years and pay your phone bills for two years? I don't really understand what they mean by stating you have to pay monthly charges to pay off the phone, I'm guessing I have to monthly pay a fee for the phone and also the phone bill? But if this is the case then why are they advertising it for $99 with a year contract or free if you trade in? Could someone clarify for me.

Watch out, rival carriers: T-Mobile has its eyes on your iPhone subscribers. The so-called “un-carrier” on Wednesday announced that it would give new customers an iPhone 5 for $0 down if they trade in their iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S models. The iPhone 5 won’t be completely free, however, because customers will still have to pay monthly charges over a two-year period to pay off the cost of the device.

I read that the phone plan is $20/mo including 500mb data. So if I do go with them, I might get the iPhone for "free" if I trade in my old one and only pay $20/mo for 2 years? Or do I pay extra for the phone too? I'm not sure if this promo is for those with an expired contract with a different carrier that wants to switch to them, it doesn't say it there.

[quote name='hotpocketninja']Hi,

My contract with Verizon already expired, and I'm thinking of switching to Tmobile to get the iPhone 5 for $99 or free if you trade in your used phone (I have a iPhone 4 from Verizon). Read from a few articles online like this one http://news.yahoo.com/t-mobile-offers-iphone-5-0-down-carrier-123524104.html

I don't understand how the monthly bill works, says you have to pay for the phone completely for 2 years, isn't it like the rest of the carriers? Where you agree to stay with them for 2 years and pay your phone bills for two years? I don't really understand what they mean by stating you have to pay monthly charges to pay off the phone, I'm guessing I have to monthly pay a fee for the phone and also the phone bill? But if this is the case then why are they advertising it for $99 with a year contract or free if you trade in? Could someone clarify for me.

Watch out, rival carriers: T-Mobile has its eyes on your iPhone subscribers. The so-called “un-carrier” on Wednesday announced that it would give new customers an iPhone 5 for $0 down if they trade in their iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S models. The iPhone 5 won’t be completely free, however, because customers will still have to pay monthly charges over a two-year period to pay off the cost of the device.

I read that the phone plan is $20/mo including 500mb data. So if I do go with them, I might get the iPhone for "free" if I trade in my old one and only pay $20/mo for 2 years? Or do I pay extra for the phone too? I'm not sure if this promo is for those with an expired contract with a different carrier that wants to switch to them, it doesn't say it there.[/QUOTE]
Dude, you pretty seriously can't read. The phone is zero DOWN with trade in. The PHONE is $20 a month for 2 years. The cheapest plan is $50 a month. And you get the awesome bonus of switching from one of the best carriers (they suck, but they are still one of the best) to one of the worst. Not exactly a "deal".

[quote name='ssjmichael']$20/month for 2 years is for just the phone itself. The phone plan is an additional monthly charge.[/QUOTE]

Okay. Thanks for letting me know, some sites stated that this is the "best deal" but now that I come to think, it's not a deal at all.

Nope not really. You still have to pay $580 for the phone after 2 years (or $480 with an iPhone 4 trade-in), and you're paying at least $50 a month for the phone plan. So monthly you're still looking at $70 plus taxes/fees.

[quote name='mietha']Dude, you pretty seriously can't read. The phone is zero DOWN with trade in. The PHONE is $20 a month for 2 years. The cheapest plan is $50 a month. And you get the awesome bonus of switching from one of the best carriers (they suck, but they are still one of the best) to one of the worst. Not exactly a "deal".[/QUOTE]

Actually, the cheapest plan is not $50/mo. There's a cheaper plan for $20/mo for only 500MB data. This is why this confused me

I will stick with Verizon then and go to best buy for the $49.99 4S phone

[quote name='hotpocketninja']Actually, the cheapest plan is not $50/mo. There's a cheaper plan for $20/mo for only 500MB data. This is why this confused me

I will stick with Verizon then and go to best buy for the $49.99 4S phone[/QUOTE]

Oh is there? I didn't know about that. So I guess it'll bring it down to $40/month then.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Nope not really. You still have to pay $580 for the phone after 2 years (or $480 with an iPhone 4 trade-in), and you're paying at least $50 a month for the phone plan. So monthly you're still looking at $70 plus taxes/fees.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying, so many outlets were saying that its a good deal :cry:

[quote name='ssjmichael']Oh is there? I didn't know about that. So I guess it'll bring it down to $40/month then.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but if you have to pay for the phone full then its not really worth it.

[quote name='hotpocketninja']Actually, the cheapest plan is not $50/mo. There's a cheaper plan for $20/mo for only 500MB data. This is why this confused me

I will stick with Verizon then and go to best buy for the $49.99 4S phone[/QUOTE]

No, the cheapest plan is $50, in these circumstances. It only comes with 500 MB of data.

bread's done
Back