Muramasa Rebirth?

Geco17

CAGiversary!
Feedback
97 (100%)
Bumping this since there's a week left. Is there just not a lot of hype for this game? I guess the DLC has turned some people off.

Should I be waiting out on a price drop for the limited edition? I don't expect it to go up in price like the Persona 4 Golden swag but maybe I'm wrong here.

Why would there be hype for this game? It's just a port.

I'll pick this up at some point but I'm certainly not in any hurry.

Why would there be hype for this game? It's just a port.

I'll pick this up at some point but I'm certainly not in any hurry.
Port's get hype, depending on the game. People were pretty hype about Okami coming to PSN (well, at least I was). MGS HD Collection and the old Mario games collection on the wii (All Stars?) are ports I believe and there were much interest in those games.

The fanbase was just not that high for this game and I do not think it helped being on the wii, which is not a preferred platform to be playing this type of game (controller wise).

Yea, I can agree that I am also in no hurry to pick up this game either. Hopefully it does well in sales when it comes out.

I preordered Muramasa from Newegg with a $10 off promo a while ago.  Looking forward to a nice 2D action/rpg on the Vita!  I agree with ZerotypeX that this kind of game wasn't going to do well on the Wii, a console crippled by a gimmicky, annoying control scheme.  Hopefully it will do much better on the Vita, we need more of these kinds of games for that system.

Dragon's Crown is a similar style game that is shaping up to be really nice.  Got both versions of that preordered as well (the artbook preorder bonus looks great).

To me it seems strange to complain about it being a port considering Persona 4, arguably the systems most popular and most well received game, is also a port. (albeit an enchanced port).

Like I said, maybe it's the DLC holding people back (even worse, unreleased DLC). Or maybe there just isn't a demand for a 2D action game compared to the following a big RPG series gets.

I could potentially play this on the Wii, but I haven't had that thing hooked up to a TV in years now.

Last edited by a moderator:
IGN posted an unboxing video of the LE: http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/06/21/unboxing-muramasa-rebirths-special-edition-on-ps-vita

I'm not feeling those extras. The gray case looks annoying to use, and the velvet bag is only feasible if your vita is being protected by said gray case. Momohime is sadly missing from the lithograph (maybe there are different ones?).

Very looking forward to playing this on Vita. Glad I got in on Newegg's $30 standard edition pre-order.
That's exactly how I felt. I would have easily paid full price for an LE with an artbook (just like I did with Dragon's Crown, both PS3 and Vita versions), but I already have a Hori faceplate for my Vita (which I love) and the velvet bag is no big deal. I preordered Muramasa from Newegg with that $30 deal as well, got notice that it shipped today.

Also, IGN gave this game a glowing review and a great score of 8.0, so it sounds like the wait has been worth it!

The game is super fluid, transfers really well to the Vita.  The Vita is shaping up nicely with excellent 2D games, reminds me a lot of the Sega Saturn in that respect. (Dreams of the days playing Xmen vs SF and Marvel vs SF (JPN) on Saturn...)

IGN posted an unboxing video of the LE: http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/06/21/unboxing-muramasa-rebirths-special-edition-on-ps-vita

I'm not feeling those extras. The gray case looks annoying to use, and the velvet bag is only feasible if your vita is being protected by said gray case. Momohime is sadly missing from the lithograph (maybe there are different ones?).

Very looking forward to playing this on Vita. Glad I got in on Newegg's $30 standard edition pre-order.
Have you seen any movement on your tracking yet? I got a tracking number yesterday but it's still not in the FedEx system. With all the delays/out of stockness of this game I'll be bummed if my order slipped between the cracks.

Have you seen any movement on your tracking yet? I got a tracking number yesterday but it's still not in the FedEx system. With all the delays/out of stockness of this game I'll be bummed if my order slipped between the cracks.
On Newegg it shows only "BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED" and on UPS.com it shows that a shipping label was created, nothing more. Newegg has "estimated delivery" as Friday 6/28 but who knows when it will show. Seems like they are in no rush to get it to us eh?

Like I said, maybe it's the DLC holding people back (even worse, unreleased DLC). Or maybe there just isn't a demand for a 2D action game compared to the following a big RPG series gets.
This is actually what stopped me from buying it. Didn't follow the information on the game and thought the extra content was already included, not paid DLC later. Already played and beat the game on Wii, so I'll probably just wait till it's around $10.

I've been playing it this morning, and it looks absolutely stunning on the Vita.  Makes me wish they'd give the same treatment to Odin Sphere.  The game seems much more suited to a portable imo.  Has a great pick-up-and-play quality to it, easy to just play for a short time & still feel like you accomplished something.  

My Newegg order tracking updated, the game shipped from CA 6/25 and arrived in PA today.  Estimated delivery date is Monday (I'm in VA), so no Muramasa for me this weekend, oh well.  :cry:

Got my copy from Newegg today. Wasn't expecting it to come with the abridged soundtrack. Looking forward to playing this weeked.

Got my copy from Newegg today. Wasn't expecting it to come with the abridged soundtrack. Looking forward to playing this weeked.
Mine came today as well, and included the abridged soundtrack as well! Wasn't expecting it until Monday based on tracking info so this was a nice surprise. I think we're very fortunate that Muramasa even came out in North America, same goes for Dragon's Crown which is coming out August 6th. These kind of games just don't get widely released outside of Japan.

Mine came today as well, and included the abridged soundtrack as well! Wasn't expecting it until Monday based on tracking info so this was a nice surprise. I think we're very fortunate that Muramasa even came out in North America, same goes for Dragon's Crown which is coming out August 6th. These kind of games just don't get widely released outside of Japan.
With the small library of the Vita as it is, I am sure Sony is making some nice incentives to push as many games west as possible. Not that I am complaining, the Western library needs a lot more variety than shooters.

Well this game just ain't too bad.  Not quite sure I get the combat yet (holding square / using directions vs pressing square and directions vs timing square to block stuff etc), but still enjoying it.  I bet the Wii controls were awful.  

Some of the areas are just downright pretty - it's making me anticipate Dragon's Crown and its hand drawn style even more.  

Well this game just ain't too bad. Not quite sure I get the combat yet (holding square / using directions vs pressing square and directions vs timing square to block stuff etc), but still enjoying it. I bet the Wii controls were awful.

Some of the areas are just downright pretty - it's making me anticipate Dragon's Crown and its hand drawn style even more.

Wii controls were awful? Just another example of "A Wii game, well it sucks cause it has waggle controls". Good thing you played it on Wii so you know first hand. Amirite?

Wii controls were awful? Just another example of "A Wii game, well it sucks cause it has waggle controls". Good thing you played it on Wii so you know first hand. Amirite?
No, I have no idea whatsoever what the wii controls were like - I didn't even consider that it would use waggle. The controls are really tough on the Vita for me (which is what I tried to convey in the first half of the sentence), so I assume they were even tougher on the Wii with its generally unusual controls. Sorry I deeply offended you and the Wii in general!

No, I have no idea whatsoever what the wii controls were like - I didn't even consider that it would use waggle. The controls are really tough on the Vita for me (which is what I tried to convey in the first half of the sentence), so I assume they were even tougher on the Wii with its generally unusual controls. Sorry I deeply offended you and the Wii in general!
In all fairness to handsomepete, Wii controls in general with the waggle wiimote and annoying "nunchuk" were pretty awful for most games released on it, main reason why I skipped that console and all its games. Just not worth it at all.

Back on topic, Muramasa Rebirth LE on Amazon is "under review", must be more crushed/dented boxes during shipment. Sounds like the LE boxes were pretty thin to begin with, unfortunately. I just got a regular edition, didn't care for the extras in this LE.

Well this game just ain't too bad. Not quite sure I get the combat yet (holding square / using directions vs pressing square and directions vs timing square to block stuff etc), but still enjoying it. I bet the Wii controls were awful.

yea pretty game but way too short.. less then 10 hours unless you want to replay it just to get all of the swords.. was a quick weekend rental via gamefly

The Wii game was well received, so i'm not sure where the bad controls thing is coming from. I have never played it, but I never heard anything about bad controls with that game. I'm interested in this, but will wait for it to be cheap. I have a ton to play as it is on my arriving mid-week Vita!

The Wii game was well received, so i'm not sure where the bad controls thing is coming from. I have never played it, but I never heard anything about bad controls with that game. I'm interested in this, but will wait for it to be cheap. I have a ton to play as it is on my arriving mid-week Vita!
I started it - after looking through the Wii controls on gamefaqs I suspect the whole thing is my asinine interpretation of the tutorial on Vita than an actual problem with the controls. I'll try again and keep it to myself!

It's a shame the original Muramasa only came out on Wii, that severly limited it's target audience.  I love this style of game but would never have bought a Wii to play it, just not worth it.  Had it come out for the other two consoles, it would have been a Day 1 purchase for me.  I just hated the lousy Wiimote+nunchuk control scheme, ruined the whole console IMO.

It's a shame the original Muramasa only came out on Wii, that severly limited it's target audience. I love this style of game but would never have bought a Wii to play it, just not worth it. Had it come out for the other two consoles, it would have been a Day 1 purchase for me. I just hated the lousy Wiimote+nunchuk control scheme, ruined the whole console IMO.
Didn't matter for this game as it allowed you to use either a Gamecube controller, or Classic Controller/Classic Controller Pro.

I got my copy just before the 4th of July weekend, and have gotten to play through the first character's campaign. I am thoroughly enjoying the experience. My only complaint would be that the combat can feel a tad "grindy" at times. But this actually plays into the RPG and progression elements for the game, so it is understandable, and doesn't spoil the experience. They also do a decent job with the mechanics, so you eventually stop trying to simply destroy the enemies, and start figuring out how to destroy them most effectively. (the grading at the end of each battle helps with this)

The graphics are stunning, and the Vita's screen is a perfect showcase for them. All of the vibrant, bright colors pop right out, and the solid contrast ratio of the Vita does the title plenty of favors. The controls are also a much better fit for the Vita, compared to the Wii. The Wii version was playable so long as you had one of the controller attachments. But on the Vita the controls feel really good. The analog stick works very well, and the buttons have been mapped properly too. The combat flows nicely and is easy to get into. Performance is also silky-smooth, I have yet to see any slow down or frame dropping. (despite the complexity of some of the 2D graphics) The art in the game is breathtaking. (but this was also true of the Wii version)

For anyone who likes solid 2D action games, and hasn't already played the Wii version, Muramasa: Rebirth is an easy recommendation.

I picked this game up via the amzon sale. It's great. I haven't been able to put it down. I'm about 3 hours in. The monkeys definitely know how to relax.

Has anybody bought the DLC yet?

Muramasa Rebirth’s Farmer Uprising DLC Episode Detailed
By Spencer . January 16, 2014 . 2:19am

Share17 Reddit0 Tweet14 Tumblr0 Share58
Aksys just released the first downloadable episode for Muramasa Rebirth in North America. Japan is on the second, Uprising of the Oone Resistance, where you play as a country bumpkin called Gonbei. That’s a pun because “gonbei” also means country folk.

Gonbei is said to be the most hardworking person in the village. He tends to rice and daikon crops. Last year, an epidemic claimed his wife’s life and Gonbei has been living a solitary life ever since. However, his wife Otae isn’t gone. She couldn’t stand to be separated from Gonbei even after death and is in the game as a ghost. Otae appears to help Gonbei by picking him up and she can attack enemies.​

Gonbei fights with farmer tools. His three weapons are a hoe, bamboo spear, and a sickle normally used to hack rice. In Muramasa Rebirth, the sickle is a throwing weapon.   Vanillaware added a twist to the battle system. Tagosaku, your childhood friend who is the village idiot, and Moheji, the strongest dude in the village, will fight with you if the battle attack gauge is shining.​

Players can level Gonbei’s weapons up and there is a boss rush mode where Gonbei fights the bosses from the original Muramasa Rebirth story. Clear this and you’ll see a different ending.​

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/16/muramasa-rebirths-farmer-uprising-dlc-episode-detailed/#OX0Ee68po01FzsHK.99

bread's done
Back