Game Changers: Mark Cerny Interview
Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:02 AM
Interview with Mark Cerny. This was done on November 30, 2012, so it was before people found out he was lead architect for the PS4. Sony made a very smart decision hiring him, and I have a feeling the PS4 has a good chance at winning next gen with him leading Playstation.
Also a new video gameinformer posted up yesterday relating to infamous second son and what the PS4 means for the game.
Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:04 AM
- The 1,000 or so employees of SCEI, which has led PS4’s development, were spread across 17 floors in the old building, but are now crammed into just two, with roughly 500 to a floor. Each room feels as big as a football field, with no high partitions, and you can see from end to end.
- As soon as we launch a platform we have small number of tech people move on to planning for the next.
- Up to PS3, the development was pretty much done by the hardware group in Tokyo. So it was Kaz who succeeded Kutaragi-san in 2006, who decided the process had to change. And he trusted the hardware team here to start involving the software team of Worldwide Studios.
- PS Vita was a shorter project compared to PS4 but Mark [Cerny], both Mark and Worldwide Studios were involved in both projects and we worked on both projects simultaneously.
- In terms of the number of people who worked on developing PS4, both hardware and system software were predominantly Japanese.
- The final additions [to the PS4 hardware] were made in Tokyo as well by Andy [House, CEO of SCE] and [Masayasu] Ito, head of the Playstation console. As the lead system architect, Mark reported to those two.
- The light-bar doesn’t require the camera to function.
The Kaiser CAGiversary! 2249 Posts Joined 9.9 Years Ago
Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:49 PM
Sony made a very smart decision hiring him, and I have a feeling the PS4 has a good chance at winning next gen with him leading Playstation.
I can agree with the first part. I would temper the second part to say that they have a much better chance with him leading the Playstation division. The video game industry is growing increasingly more chaotic and unpredictable. There are no guarantees at this point.
But Mark Cerny is an extremely capable game developer/programmer. He has a long and storied history in the industry, with a lot of high-profile and critically acclaimed titles under his belt. And a lot of the decisions he's already made about the PS4's hardware have been very solid.