Wireless Headphones (That Connect To Home Theater)?

SOLDIER

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
I'm looking for a pair of surround wireless headphones that can be connected to my Home Theater Receiver. I have all of my devices hooked up to the receiver via HDMI ports, including my PC, PS3, 360, and Wii U.

I recently ordered the Turtle Beach XP510 due to recommendations: http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Wirel...=1368509959&sr=8-1&keywords=turtlebeach+xp510

But right now I'm not finding an option that lets me hook it up to my Home Theater: the only instructions I've found are for hooking it up to the PS3 or 360. I would prefer not having to manually reconnect and disconnect the headphones depending what system I'm using it for, and would prefer just plugging it to my Home Theater's receiver so I can just cycle between devices.

If there is no wireless option that allows me to do this, then I'll settle for a wired one.

Here's my home theater, for reference: http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/US/AVR-1513 Owners Manual.pdf

I just want a great pair of headphones with the added convenience of not having to constantly reconnect it. Surround sound and wireless would be a nice plus as well.

This is a question I would love answered too. I'm in the same boat. Everything hooked up through hdmi through my receiver. I want to be abke to listen without having to unhook and hook up every time I want to play or watch tv. I been looking for a real long time and starting to think they don't exist. I hate playing on mute cause I can't wake my wife up

[quote name='stuntman21']Ok, does it have other outputs?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it has optical audio, although it says it's for "TV". There are a few more that are listed in the manual I linked in the OP.

Well it seems like when I get on here I'm on my work computer and the internet here sucks. Let it set for 15 minutes loading and it was barely moving lol.

Anyways, it doesn't have an audio out or anything? Like maybe component out? Or maybe your tv has an audio out? I had a 32" sharp that had an audio out, and everything that played through my tv was pushed out to my headset.

Or if your home theater has any other outputs, maybe run like I do with my current set up. My tv currently doesn't have any outputs but I just run my hdmi to the tv and have the original red/white/yellow cables ran out to my headset. Works just fine for me that way, but if it's possible you can just run 2 cables to the inputs on the headset maybe?

Edited: didn't notice the optical was input

doesn't look like you have any type of audio output that you can use to hook the headphones directly into the HTS so you'd have to swap the cord between systems

Check your tv though, if it has any type of audio outputs you could hook the headset up to it, and get the audio from there, if you're not sure throw up the brand / model and i'll see if i can't help you more

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you wanting to route the audio out of your home theater AND the headphones at the same time? If so, then yeah, there's not really a way to do it as the only "audio out" the receiver has is the headphone jack on the front of the unit (well, and technically the HDMI "monitor" jack, but that won't help). However, if you're ok with only getting the sound through the headphones (say, for the purpose of playing late at night without disturbing anyone), then you should be able to connect the XP510 to the headphone jack.

If my memory serves, the Turtle Beach headsets just use the standard red/white RCA plugs to connect to your system right? If so, you could just get an adapter to connect it to the headphone jack on your receiver (like this one...assuming the headphone jack is 1/4", which I'm just guessing based on the picture of the front of the unit: http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express...1368649325&sr=1-3&keywords=rca+to+1+4+adapter)

All that said, those headphones are way fancier than anything I've got, and I'm not sure if there's an extra connector for the microphone...and if there is, I don't know if that's something that could be routed through the receiver anyway. I just connected 2 pairs of wireless headphones to my Onkyo receiver yesterday (MUCH cheaper ones though), for the purpose of allowing my wife and I to watch shows/movies and play games with adult language without our 18 month old daughter learning some new favorite words, lol. It was really easy and they work great, but the headphones had a lot less going on than the pair you have.

[quote name='SOLDIER']Yes, it has optical audio, although it says it's for "TV". There are a few more that are listed in the manual I linked in the OP.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Strigol']Edited: didn't notice the optical was input

doesn't look like you have any type of audio output that you can use to hook the headphones directly into the HTS so you'd have to swap the cord between systems

Check your tv though, if it has any type of audio outputs you could hook the headset up to it, and get the audio from there, if you're not sure throw up the brand / model and i'll see if i can't help you more[/QUOTE]

What this guy said, you're out of luck hoping to find an answer thru your receiver; it's so odd that these manufacturers are cutting corners by eliminating audio outputs, but at the same time I can see where there's probably a good-chunk of consumers out there that simply don't use them.

Hopefully your tv has an optical output (sometimes known as a "toslink" by the way) or at least red/white composite jack output (even tho that will only broadcast stereo sound & not surround). If not, you might have to bite the bullet and fruther complicate your setup with an optical cable switch/selector.

[quote name='Sanges99']Hopefully your tv has an optical output (sometimes known as a "toslink" by the way) or at least red/white composite jack output (even tho that will only broadcast stereo sound & not surround). If not, you might have to bite the bullet and fruther complicate your setup with an optical cable switch/selector.[/QUOTE]

Was just about to edit my post with the same thing. I haven't dabbled in "surround sound headphones" at all (partly because it's an oxy-moron...at the end of the day, it's still stereo), but is that what they use to connect? Optical? If that's the case, then yeah...an optical out from his TV is his only chance to accomplish what he's hoping for.

Otherwise, you're downgrading and overcomplicating an already complicated and very pricey pair of headphones. Not sure what his purpose is for the headphones in the first place. But if he really wants "surround", then he might have to live with it being inconvenient. Otherwise, personally, I'd "downgrade" to a cheaper stereo (or even simulated surround) pair and have a much easier time connecting them.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']
If my memory serves, the Turtle Beach headsets just use the standard red/white RCA plugs to connect to your system right? If so, you could just get an adapter to connect it to the headphone jack on your receiver (like this one...assuming the headphone jack is 1/4", which I'm just guessing based on the picture of the front of the unit: http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express...1368649325&sr=1-3&keywords=rca+to+1+4+adapter)
[/QUOTE]

The headsets do have the option of red/white connections, and that adapter should work with my Home Theater.

But by doing this, would I lose the surround sound effect? If that's the case, there's no real point having a pair of headphones with surround sound if I'm not getting surround sound out of it.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Was just about to edit my post with the same thing. I haven't dabbled in "surround sound headphones" at all (partly because it's an oxy-moron...at the end of the day, it's still stereo), but is that what they use to connect? Optical? If that's the case, then yeah...an optical out from his TV is his only chance to accomplish what he's hoping for.

[/QUOTE]

My TV does have an optical audio output. I haven't tried connecting the headphones directly to it, but I'll give it a shot soon. EDIT: Didn't work.

The same question remains though: if I'm losing the surround sound effect, then there's no point keeping these headphones.

That's why I would still like recommendations on regular but good quality headphones, wireless or wired. Wireless is preferred as long as the sound quality is good and I can connect it to the Home Theater's headphone jack, but at this point I just want a balance between quality and convenience.

[quote name='SOLDIER']The headsets do have the option of red/white connections, and that adapter should work with my Home Theater.

But by doing this, would I lose the surround sound effect? If that's the case, there's no real point having a pair of headphones with surround sound if I'm not getting surround sound out of it.

My TV does have an optical audio output. I haven't tried connecting the headphones directly to it, but I'll give it a shot soon.

The same question remains though: if I'm losing the surround sound effect, then there's no point keeping these headphones.

That's why I would still like recommendations on regular but good quality headphones, wireless or wired. Wireless is preferred as long as the sound quality is good and I can connect it to the Home Theater's headphone jack, but at this point I just want a balance between quality and convenience.[/QUOTE]

Red/white connectors - yes, you would lose the surround (unless it gets downgraded to "simulated"...where you might not even be able to tell the difference). Optical through the TV, the surround would remain in tact...and anything that is output to your TV should go to the headphones just fine. I'd just start there and figure out what works for you and what you like best.

In that case, I'll return these Turtlebeach headphones. I have too many devices to connect to my TV, and if I did use an HDMI switch, it would only cause further complications (since my devices are all perfectly connected to my home theater so I can instantly switch to the desired display and sound with my universal remote).

So, I'm now recommending the best standard wireless headphones, whatever connects directly to a headphone jack, does not require batteries (comes with its own rechargeable kind) and won't suffer from interference with other devices.

Based on Amazon reviews, this seems to be the most popular wireless headset: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS...92&sr=1-1&keywords=wireless+headphones+for+tv

And this seems to be the most popular wired: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...TF8&qid=1368675863&sr=1-1&keywords=headphones

If there's anything better, be it wired or wireless, please let me know.

[quote name='SOLDIER']
My TV does have an optical audio output. I haven't tried connecting the headphones directly to it, but I'll give it a shot soon. EDIT: Didn't work.

.[/QUOTE]

This should work, did you change the setting on your receiver to "TV" mode when you tried it? I specifically read this in your manual and this is what most people do with your setup--it's what I do.

Your not losing your simulated surround if your still using an optical output, only with composites. Your tv is taking the passthru signal it's getting via the hdmi output of your receiver and simply passing on the audio OUT-to the headphones. I strongly encourage you to dabble with settings since there is no reason this shouldn't work. (And as a sidenote, make sure your headphone receiver is getting power, this seems obvious but if you've never "succeeded" in getting these to work, you could overlook that step in your fluster.)

[quote name='SOLDIER']In that case, I'll return these Turtlebeach headphones. I have too many devices to connect to my TV, and if I did use an HDMI switch, it would only cause further complications (since my devices are all perfectly connected to my home theater so I can instantly switch to the desired display and sound with my universal remote).

So, I'm now recommending the best standard wireless headphones, whatever connects directly to a headphone jack, does not require batteries (comes with its own rechargeable kind) and won't suffer from interference with other devices.

Based on Amazon reviews, this seems to be the most popular wireless headset: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS...92&sr=1-1&keywords=wireless+headphones+for+tv

And this seems to be the most popular wired: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...TF8&qid=1368675863&sr=1-1&keywords=headphones

If there's anything better, be it wired or wireless, please let me know.[/QUOTE]

I can vouch for Sennheiser. They make good stuff. I was actually going to reccommend them, but I wasn't sure what features you were actually wanting in the headphones (though they do offer some high end models with simulated surround sound and whatnot). With those XP510's, in addition to the surround sound, those had a microphone for chatting, bluetooth for connecting to your smartphone, etc. A lot of bells and whistles with them for sure.

But if you don't NEED all those features, then yeah, I don't see a reason why the RS-120's wouldn't be a very dependable pair of headphones. It looks like they even have them available through Amazon Warehouse deals if you wanted to save even more.

As for going wired, wired is always going to be more reliable. Just the nature of wireless technology. With wired, you plug it in, it works. The end. With wireless, it can take some tinkering and they're always subject to interference. That said, I've got a lot of wireless devices in my home (router, baby monitor, smartphones, guitar system...not to mention I live 10 miles from an airport), and I've been able to move from room to room, without losing the sound. Plus, it's nice to just be able to get up and walk to the kitchen without having to take the headphones off, haha. Unless you have an apparent need for more features, I don't see a reason why you wouldn't like the 120's.

[quote name='Sanges99']This should work, did you change the setting on your receiver to "TV" mode when you tried it? I specifically read this in your manual and this is what most people do with your setup--it's what I do.

Your not losing your simulated surround if your still using an optical output, only with composites. Your tv is taking the passthru signal it's getting via the hdmi output of your receiver and simply passing on the audio OUT-to the headphones. I strongly encourage you to dabble with settings since there is no reason this shouldn't work. (And as a sidenote, make sure your headphone receiver is getting power, this seems obvious but if you've never "succeeded" in getting these to work, you could overlook that step in your fluster.)[/QUOTE]

Your question assumes he wasn't getting sound out of his TV to begin with doesn't it? He shouldn't have to change any settings on his receiver if it was already outputting sound to the TV (ie. pumping sound to his home theater speakers and the TV at the same time...which the HDMI out should accomplish). Unless there's a setting on his TV to "turn on" the optical out, this should have worked. Either way though, I kind of get the impression that he was talked into the XP510's just because they were "good headphones". Not because he needed bluetooth connectivity to answer phone calls and chat functionality to play multiplayer games and have Skype sessions.

I agree with just trying to get them to work though (if he was considering keeping them). That's the first thing I did when I got my wireless headphones...just connected them using the most simple setup as they were intended. Then, once I was sure everything was working as it should, I tried the setup that I wanted through my receiver. Like I said above, wireless takes that extra tinkering, considering there's an entire extra piece of equipment. Gotta make sure the transmitter and headphones are communicating properly. Otherwise, it doesn't matter how you have the transmitter connected.

I tried your method, but it wouldn't work.

But just to double-check that I didn't connect it incorrectly, could you specifically list the steps I should following? I hooked up the optical audio from the headphones to the home theater receiver, used the setup button to change to TV Audio, but didn't get anything.

[quote name='SOLDIER']I tried your method, but it wouldn't work.

But just to double-check that I didn't connect it incorrectly, could you specifically list the steps I should following? I hooked up the optical audio from the headphones to the home theater receiver, used the setup button to change to TV Audio, but didn't get anything.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no... if you have such a port on your tv, which you said you did, you need to connect an optical cable OUT from your tv INTO your headphone base, then set the audio receiver to passthru the receiver's signal to TV mode. I'm rushing out the door right now so I don't have time to look for the specific menu on your receiver that you need to be on.

If you think of the audio flowing like water, it's coming from your sources, flowing into your receiver via hdmi, then traveling out to your tv and your tv is filtering it back I to your headphones now via optical. All the sources are meeting up at your TV (even if the sound is currently coming out of your receiver) so with the right setting your receiver you tv is acting like the aforementioned optical switcher for the hdmi sources.

bread's done
Back