PS3 HDD Upgrade Question

Yeah, the PS3 maxes out at around 12-15MB/s for read/write operations so it doesn't matter what kind of HDD (or even SDD) you put into it, the middling I/O bus is the limiting factor. That is why 5400rpm drives are recommended. Plus they run cooler than 7200rpm drives.

I'm running a 7200rpm Seagate 320gb in my slim PS3 right now and if there is any speed benefit over 5400rpm, I'm not really noticing.

I don't know if the extra rpm over the stock 5400 contributed towards making the online co-op for Syndicate unplayable for me, but that's what I blamed. My next upgrade will be a WD7500BVT @ 5400rpm, have it in-hand but haven't installed it yet.

Newegg or Amazon will often have the best price.

while 7200 does cut down on load times/installs/etc, its not by much. it also generates more heat, but i hear they fixed the overheating problem.

I'm more worried about these things i hear from the WD blue series and the seagate momentus series (stuttering, audio, bluray playback, game save problems).

:wall:

7200rpm drives back when the PS3 came out were a completely different animal than drives today.

The 7200rpm WD Scorpio Black generates 1W more power than the 5400rpm WD Scorpio Blue, and the temperature difference is negligible between the two drives.

The stigma of "7200rpm drives will overheat my PS3" is pretty much a dead issue these days.

I've had a 750GB WB Scorpio Black in my CECH-3001 Slim PS3 for almost 8 months and I've not seen any issues with heat. I have seen quicker access on loading games and other disc-based work on the system.

The Scorpio Black is pretty much top of the heap for 7200rpm 2.5" HDDs, so it should be a difference between that drive and other drives, especially 5400rpm drives.

I own numerous Black drives (4 in a HTPC, 2 750GB and 2 500GB), 1 in a laptop at home (750GB), 1 in my PS3 (750GB) and two 320GB drives as external drives. Some are as old as 3 years and they've all worked fantastic. I also have a couple Blue drives and they all continue to work without issue.

If you're worried about head, get a Scorpio Blue. If you'd like a little more speed (and it's not night and day, though I think it's noticeable), get a Scorpio Black.

Is it as simple as pulling the old one out and putting a new one in?
There's a bit more to it, but not much. You're going to want some sort of flash drive with FAT32 formatting to transfer the latest PS3 update to your new hard drive once you insert it. I have a WD Black and it's worked great so far.

Last edited:
bread's done
Back