*DEAD* Amazon: Up to 55% Off Studio Ghibli Films on DVD and Blu-ray

Thanks, I ordered Princess Mononoke and the BR+DVD combo pack of Castle In the Sky. I think this purchase was long overdue...

I just came here to post this lol. I grabbed Secret World of Arriety. I've been looking for it cheap for a while and asked for it for my bday but couldnt find it :whistle2:/ so I bought it for myself

[quote name='wolverinefactor']I just came here to post this lol. I grabbed Secret World of Arriety. I've been looking for it cheap for a while and asked for it for my bday but couldnt find it :whistle2:/ so I bought it for myself[/QUOTE]

Same came to post. It't funny I just quoted someone a comment in the May pickups who just bought a copy of Arrietty hours earlier before the sale. Crazy to think they are $20 a pop with a 55% sale still. Retail almost $40 a pop. The one thing I got wrong in my earlier post was the price the blu-ray/dvd combo go far I thought they were like sub $20 when it was closer to a high thirties. Makes me wish I didn't delete it from the DVR. Could be months before I can record it again by legal means.

Is there any significant reason to upgrade to the blu-rays? I have the DVD versions of Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky.

I picked up the only two blu's I didn't have already (Castle in the Sky and Whisper of the Heart). Sucks that they still haven't released a subbed version of Mononoke.

[quote name='basis']will we ever see a Porco Rosso Blu-ray?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Japan is getting the bluray release in late July, so sometime late this year sounds likely for the US.

[quote name='ShadowX']Is there any significant reason to upgrade to the blu-rays? I have the DVD versions of Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky.[/QUOTE]

The colors have been touch up and the audio is better. How noticeable would be up to you, and if you care at all.

Ah.. sucks. even with up to 55% discount, both Castle and Ponyo blu still above $17 each.
How come we don't see $10 or lower for these oldies?

[quote name='UltimateIdiot911']The colors have been touch up and the audio is better. How noticeable would be up to you, and if you care at all.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your input.

[quote name='kill3r7']Judge for yourself.

Castle in the Sky

Nausicaa[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the links. It was helpful!

[quote name='cagfansub']Ah.. sucks. even with up to 55% discount, both Castle and Ponyo blu still above $17 each.
How come we don't see $10 or lower for these oldies?[/QUOTE]

Studio Ghibli films are the equivalent of Criterion Blu-rays. In other words, they rarely drop in price and hold their value for a very long time.

[quote name='cagfansub']Ah.. sucks. even with up to 55% discount, both Castle and Ponyo blu still above $17 each.

You're sooner to see the Bluray go out of print than it is likely to see it fall down to $10. There is a strong enough demand for these movies and Disney also is very good at keeping the prices up.

If the movie is not distributed by Disney, then you may see have a chance of finding a studio ghibli movie at $10.

These DVDs are slightly cheaper at Costco at the moment, if you're a member. (No Blus, though.)

Edit: Specifically, the uncommon ones -- Porco Rosso, Pom Poko, The Cat Returns, My Neighbors the Yamadas -- plus the DVDs of the same price that were rereleased by Disney at the same time -- are $12.99 at Costco. I don't think they have a sub-$10 Mononoke there.

Any recommendations if say, I were to only pick up three of these? My family saw Arrietty in the theater and really liked it so I know I want that one. I mean I've heard great things about all of them and know I should just bite the bullet but I'm just curious if there were a few overwhelming favorites.

[quote name='nixmahn']these come with disney reward points?[/QUOTE]

If my memory serves me right, all studio ghibli films distributed by Disney include reward points.

[quote name='chriscolbert']Any recommendations if say, I were to only pick up three of these? My family saw Arrietty in the theater and really liked it so I know I want that one. I mean I've heard great things about all of them and know I should just bite the bullet but I'm just curious if there were a few overwhelming favorites.[/QUOTE]

Dvd or Blu?

[quote name='chriscolbert']Any recommendations if say, I were to only pick up three of these? My family saw Arrietty in the theater and really liked it so I know I want that one. I mean I've heard great things about all of them and know I should just bite the bullet but I'm just curious if there were a few overwhelming favorites.[/QUOTE]

For families, I'd suggest:

My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Spirited Away (my personal favorite)
Ponyo (cute, but better for little kids)
Castle in the Sky

These titles are a bit more complex and/or mature, and may go over kids heads a bit:

Princess Mononoke (my 2nd fav)
Nausicaa
Porco Rosso

I haven't seen the others.

Basically what SSJ Michael suggested. Whisper of the Heart is a coming of age kind of movie and it's a bit more gear towards the female audience.

I got lucky when I bought Ponyo Bluray/DVD combo. I found it on eBay.uk for $10 shipped after I won the auction. The seller stated it was a US Region free version and included slipcover and Disney Reward points. These films hold their value since the Disney picked up Studio Ghibili films. The thing that sucks is waiting for other films to be released on Bluray that are only on DVD.

[quote name='Jodou']So glad they're having a sale on everything I already own and not the two new films. . .[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way but had to post these deals for other CAGs. I still have the 2 new titles pre-ordered since I figured it would be awhile til we get a sale on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eeep! And here I was wanting to spend less. Curse you Amazon! (shakes fist)

Anyway, I had been thinking about snagging several of these films for blu-ray anyhow, so this was a bit of a no-brainer for me. I pulled the trigger on...

Ponyo
Castle in the Sky
Whisper of the Heart
The Secret World of Arriety

All of them were the Blu-Ray DVD combo packs. I had actually ordered Nausica a week or two earlier along with something else I was getting. And I already have several of the other films on DVD. (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke) I know that My Neighbor Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle will be coming out on Blu-Ray soon, so I'll wait on those.

I'm in the same boat. I really only have enough for two. I'm sure most people will tell you nausica

[quote name='Rumors']I'm in the same boat. I really only have enough for two. I'm sure most people will tell you nausica[/QUOTE]

I too agree that you should go for Nausicaa. Although Castle in the Sky is really good, I personally enjoyed Nausicaa a lot more. It touches on some pretty heavy themes while maintaing a good family atmosphere at the same time. All in all, it's brilliant.

[quote name='Rumors']I'm in the same boat. I really only have enough for two. I'm sure most people will tell you nausica[/QUOTE]

Nausica is very good, but there are several I'd recommend before it if you're new to Ghibli. Specifically My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service and Whispers of the Heart are all must-see imo.

[quote name='gothamcentral79']Sucks that they still haven't released a subbed version of Mononoke.[/QUOTE]

It is subbed... What sucks is that the licensing is a bit of mess right now, which will probably create problems for when it does go to blu in Japan, to localize in North America.

Damn, I've been waiting quite a while for a deal on these and it finally happened at the worst possible time. Maybe I'll just pick up one or two. Can't really afford to drop $90 or so on the 5 :br: titles.

Also, where's Tales from Earthsea? I mistakenly thought it was on blu-ray but even the DVD isn't in this sale.

As for Mononoke and Spirited, those will probably be the very last ones they release. Most people would agree those two are the best so it makes sense for Disney to keep fans drip-fed with the lesser titles until then. Though one wonders if stuff like Pom Poko or The Yamadas would even be deemed worthy of a blu release.

Not to get off-topic, but I've come close to joing the Disney DVD/Blu-Ray Club or whatever it's called just to get the Ghibli Blu-Rays. I've heard it's a nightmare to cancel once you fulfill your required purchases though. Do any of you have any first hand experience with that?

Right now I could get Arrietty, Ponyo, Nausicaa, and Whisper of the Heart plus three other Disney Blu-Rays for $21.90 shipped and only have to buy two more movies in the next two years.

[quote name='chriscolbert']Not to get off-topic, but I've come close to joing the Disney DVD/Blu-Ray Club or whatever it's called just to get the Ghibli Blu-Rays. I've heard it's a nightmare to cancel once you fulfill your required purchases though. Do any of you have any first hand experience with that?

Right now I could get Arrietty, Ponyo, Nausicaa, and Whisper of the Heart plus three other Disney Blu-Rays for $21.90 shipped and only have to buy two more movies in the next two years.[/QUOTE]

We joined once and were happy with the experience. No issues with canceling, either.

I recommend it if you have a bunch of Disney blus you want to buy at once.

[quote name='chriscolbert']Not to get off-topic, but I've come close to joing the Disney DVD/Blu-Ray Club or whatever it's called just to get the Ghibli Blu-Rays. I've heard it's a nightmare to cancel once you fulfill your required purchases though. Do any of you have any first hand experience with that?

Right now I could get Arrietty, Ponyo, Nausicaa, and Whisper of the Heart plus three other Disney Blu-Rays for $21.90 shipped and only have to buy two more movies in the next two years.[/QUOTE]

Would you mind explaining that very slowly and clearly so a foolish, easily-confused person like myself could understand exactly how it works? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I am saying I tend not to do very well with this sort of thing and I end up getting ripped off. :lol:

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Would you mind explaining that very slowly and clearly so a foolish, easily-confused person like myself could understand exactly how it works? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I am saying I tend not to do very well with this sort of thing and I end up getting ripped off. :lol:[/QUOTE]

If you go to DisneyMovieClub.com and enter the promo code 17674D (there may be others or better ones I suppose), you get 5 Blu-Rays shipped for $1. Normally you have to buy three more movies in two years (at "regular club prices") but you can buy a 6th movie for $11.95 to reduce the number of remaining movies to 2. You can then add a 7th movie for $8.95 which is just to provide added value. No further reducing of the commitment occurs. So in the end you can get 7 movies for $21.90 shipped.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Would you mind explaining that very slowly and clearly so a foolish, easily-confused person like myself could understand exactly how it works? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I am saying I tend not to do very well with this sort of thing and I end up getting ripped off. :lol:[/QUOTE]

It's a deal like columbia house used to offed on their movies. Expect back then you could use false info and not have to finish the subscription and still keep the movies.

Now it's more like a contract if you back out Disney probably will report you to a credit agency.

It's a good deal like someone said if you're looking for Disney blu-rays and you finish the requirements which is to buy two movies I think within two years.

[quote name='chriscolbert']If you go to DisneyMovieClub.com and enter the promo code 17674D (there may be others or better ones I suppose), you get 5 Blu-Rays shipped for $1. Normally you have to buy three more movies in two years (at "regular club prices") but you can buy a 6th movie for $11.95 to reduce the number of remaining movies to 2. You can then add a 7th movie for $8.95 which is just to provide added value. No further reducing of the commitment occurs. So in the end you can get 7 movies for $21.90 shipped.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! So without any code, you get 4 for $1 and you have to buy 5 regular price movies.

With it you get 5 for $1 and only have to buy 3, one of which can be knocked out for only $12.

Am I understanding that right? Because my god that is pretty amazing. I know there's a little more to it, ie opting out of their monthly selected title, but still. I guess I'm hijacking the thread a bit here, but is that code expected to expire, or would I be better off waiting for them to add Totoro and Howl's to the site (and maybe re-stock Castle in the Sky) ?

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Thanks! So without any code, you get 4 for $1 and you have to buy 5 regular price movies.

With it you get 5 for $1 and only have to buy 3, one of which can be knocked out for only $12.

Am I understanding that right? Because my god that is pretty amazing. I know there's a little more to it, ie opting out of their monthly selected title, but still. I guess I'm hijacking the thread a bit here, but is that code expected to expire, or would I be better off waiting for them to add Totoro and Howl's to the site (and maybe re-stock Castle in the Sky) ?[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much it. That code has been good for at least four months and there always seems to be an active one out there if you Google it. Castle in the Sky hasn't been available for as long as I've been looking into it (at least 6-8 months) so I don't know if it was ever in stock. I wish there was a way to know if the new ones would be added at some point because if so I might just wait.

[quote name='chriscolbert']That's pretty much it. That code has been good for at least four months and there always seems to be an active one out there if you Google it. Castle in the Sky hasn't been available for as long as I've been looking into it (at least 6-8 months) so I don't know if it was ever in stock. I wish there was a way to know if the new ones would be added at some point because if so I might just wait.[/QUOTE]

I actually joined a few days ago believe it or not. I used the random ad that appeared at the top of the page here to do it. I got 5 movies for 1$ and 2 more movies respectively 11.95 and 8.95. I did a combination of Pixar films and Ghibli films. I got the 4 Ghibli titles and 3 Pixars. I have to buy 3 movies at full price in the next 24 months. And so far I haven't seen a featured title appear yet to have to deny but the bar showing the featured title appears right at the top and gives you a choice to accept or not with the push of button basically. So far I like it it seems like you can get some decent deals with bulk purchases and if you keep up with the disney rewards you can get ALOT more out of it.

[quote name='greenwolfe7']I actually joined a few days ago believe it or not. I used the random ad that appeared at the top of the page here to do it. I got 5 movies for 1$ and 2 more movies respectively 11.95 and 8.95. I did a combination of Pixar films and Ghibli films. I got the 4 Ghibli titles and 3 Pixars. I have to buy 3 movies at full price in the next 24 months. And so far I haven't seen a featured title appear yet to have to deny but the bar showing the featured title appears right at the top and gives you a choice to accept or not with the push of button basically. So far I like it it seems like you can get some decent deals with bulk purchases and if you keep up with the disney rewards you can get ALOT more out of it.[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't you only have to buy two more?

I am torn. Do I wait hoping they add some, but risk any of the current four that are available going out of stock? Or do I just do it now since there are other movies I want as well (missing a few Pixar and some classics my wife wants for our family collection)?

I think this is what the kids refer to as "first world problems". ;)

Also, on the DMC, most of the movies, either DVD or Blu, are $25, and if you buy one at full price, every title after that is 40% off. That includes exclusives like the DVD tins, the Ducktales movie, and the Kim Possible season sets.

bread's done
Back