- - - - -

*DEAD* Amazon: Up to 55% Off Studio Ghibli Films on DVD and Blu-ray

#31 Rumors   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   573 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

Any recommendations if say, I were to only pick up three of these? My family saw Arrietty in the theater and really liked it so I know I want that one. I mean I've heard great things about all of them and know I should just bite the bullet but I'm just curious if there were a few overwhelming favorites.

I'm in the same boat. I really only have enough for two. I'm sure most people will tell you nausica

#32 haruky   Vengeance. CAGiversary!   1092 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

I'm in the same boat. I really only have enough for two. I'm sure most people will tell you nausica

I too agree that you should go for Nausicaa. Although Castle in the Sky is really good, I personally enjoyed Nausicaa a lot more. It touches on some pretty heavy themes while maintaing a good family atmosphere at the same time. All in all, it's brilliant.

#33 ssjmichael   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9031 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

ssjmichael

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

Just a heads-up, that From Up on Poppy Hill will be released on September 3rd, and pre-orders are up on Amazon. It's not released by Disney, but still has a solid english voiced cast:

http://www.amazon.co...p on poppy hill

#34 argyle   Mr. Lucky CAGiversary!   6395 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

Nausica is very good, but there are several I'd recommend before it if you're new to Ghibli. Specifically My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service and Whispers of the Heart are all must-see imo.

#35 Frahps   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   215 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

Sucks that they still haven't released a subbed version of Mononoke.

It is subbed... What sucks is that the licensing is a bit of mess right now, which will probably create problems for when it does go to blu in Japan, to localize in North America.

#36 ssjmichael   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9031 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

ssjmichael

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

Disney still holds the rights to Mononoke in N.A. from what I've read, so I'm not sure if it'll be a big problem.

#37 Neuropod   Such a lust for revenge! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO?! CAGiversary!   2363 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

Damn, I've been waiting quite a while for a deal on these and it finally happened at the worst possible time. Maybe I'll just pick up one or two. Can't really afford to drop $90 or so on the 5 :br: titles.

Also, where's Tales from Earthsea? I mistakenly thought it was on blu-ray but even the DVD isn't in this sale.

As for Mononoke and Spirited, those will probably be the very last ones they release. Most people would agree those two are the best so it makes sense for Disney to keep fans drip-fed with the lesser titles until then. Though one wonders if stuff like Pom Poko or The Yamadas would even be deemed worthy of a blu release.

#38 Gosha   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2248 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

Ordered Nausicaa and Laputa Blus! Woo~! Been waiting for a deal on these.

#39 chriscolbert   Push Me, Pull Me CAGiversary!   3138 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

chriscolbert

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Not to get off-topic, but I've come close to joing the Disney DVD/Blu-Ray Club or whatever it's called just to get the Ghibli Blu-Rays. I've heard it's a nightmare to cancel once you fulfill your required purchases though. Do any of you have any first hand experience with that?

Right now I could get Arrietty, Ponyo, Nausicaa, and Whisper of the Heart plus three other Disney Blu-Rays for $21.90 shipped and only have to buy two more movies in the next two years.

#40 yourlefthand   Daddy Gamer CAGiversary!   1762 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

yourlefthand

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

Not to get off-topic, but I've come close to joing the Disney DVD/Blu-Ray Club or whatever it's called just to get the Ghibli Blu-Rays. I've heard it's a nightmare to cancel once you fulfill your required purchases though. Do any of you have any first hand experience with that?

Right now I could get Arrietty, Ponyo, Nausicaa, and Whisper of the Heart plus three other Disney Blu-Rays for $21.90 shipped and only have to buy two more movies in the next two years.

We joined once and were happy with the experience. No issues with canceling, either.

I recommend it if you have a bunch of Disney blus you want to buy at once.

#41 Neuropod   Such a lust for revenge! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO?! CAGiversary!   2363 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

Would you mind explaining that very slowly and clearly so a foolish, easily-confused person like myself could understand exactly how it works? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I am saying I tend not to do very well with this sort of thing and I end up getting ripped off. :lol:

#42 chriscolbert   Push Me, Pull Me CAGiversary!   3138 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

chriscolbert

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

Would you mind explaining that very slowly and clearly so a foolish, easily-confused person like myself could understand exactly how it works? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I am saying I tend not to do very well with this sort of thing and I end up getting ripped off. :lol:

If you go to DisneyMovieClub.com and enter the promo code 17674D (there may be others or better ones I suppose), you get 5 Blu-Rays shipped for $1. Normally you have to buy three more movies in two years (at "regular club prices") but you can buy a 6th movie for $11.95 to reduce the number of remaining movies to 2. You can then add a 7th movie for $8.95 which is just to provide added value. No further reducing of the commitment occurs. So in the end you can get 7 movies for $21.90 shipped.

#43 needler420   car title is lost CAGiversary!   2327 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

It's a deal like columbia house used to offed on their movies. Expect back then you could use false info and not have to finish the subscription and still keep the movies.

Now it's more like a contract if you back out Disney probably will report you to a credit agency.

It's a good deal like someone said if you're looking for Disney blu-rays and you finish the requirements which is to buy two movies I think within two years.

#44 Neuropod   Such a lust for revenge! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO?! CAGiversary!   2363 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

If you go to DisneyMovieClub.com and enter the promo code 17674D (there may be others or better ones I suppose), you get 5 Blu-Rays shipped for $1. Normally you have to buy three more movies in two years (at "regular club prices") but you can buy a 6th movie for $11.95 to reduce the number of remaining movies to 2. You can then add a 7th movie for $8.95 which is just to provide added value. No further reducing of the commitment occurs. So in the end you can get 7 movies for $21.90 shipped.

Thanks! So without any code, you get 4 for $1 and you have to buy 5 regular price movies.

With it you get 5 for $1 and only have to buy 3, one of which can be knocked out for only $12.

Am I understanding that right? Because my god that is pretty amazing. I know there's a little more to it, ie opting out of their monthly selected title, but still. I guess I'm hijacking the thread a bit here, but is that code expected to expire, or would I be better off waiting for them to add Totoro and Howl's to the site (and maybe re-stock Castle in the Sky) ?

#45 chriscolbert   Push Me, Pull Me CAGiversary!   3138 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

chriscolbert

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

Thanks! So without any code, you get 4 for $1 and you have to buy 5 regular price movies.

With it you get 5 for $1 and only have to buy 3, one of which can be knocked out for only $12.

Am I understanding that right? Because my god that is pretty amazing. I know there's a little more to it, ie opting out of their monthly selected title, but still. I guess I'm hijacking the thread a bit here, but is that code expected to expire, or would I be better off waiting for them to add Totoro and Howl's to the site (and maybe re-stock Castle in the Sky) ?

That's pretty much it. That code has been good for at least four months and there always seems to be an active one out there if you Google it. Castle in the Sky hasn't been available for as long as I've been looking into it (at least 6-8 months) so I don't know if it was ever in stock. I wish there was a way to know if the new ones would be added at some point because if so I might just wait.

#46 greenwolfe7   I play with dinosaurs! CAGiversary!   309 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

greenwolfe7

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

That's pretty much it. That code has been good for at least four months and there always seems to be an active one out there if you Google it. Castle in the Sky hasn't been available for as long as I've been looking into it (at least 6-8 months) so I don't know if it was ever in stock. I wish there was a way to know if the new ones would be added at some point because if so I might just wait.

I actually joined a few days ago believe it or not. I used the random ad that appeared at the top of the page here to do it. I got 5 movies for 1$ and 2 more movies respectively 11.95 and 8.95. I did a combination of Pixar films and Ghibli films. I got the 4 Ghibli titles and 3 Pixars. I have to buy 3 movies at full price in the next 24 months. And so far I haven't seen a featured title appear yet to have to deny but the bar showing the featured title appears right at the top and gives you a choice to accept or not with the push of button basically. So far I like it it seems like you can get some decent deals with bulk purchases and if you keep up with the disney rewards you can get ALOT more out of it.

#47 chriscolbert   Push Me, Pull Me CAGiversary!   3138 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

chriscolbert

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

I actually joined a few days ago believe it or not. I used the random ad that appeared at the top of the page here to do it. I got 5 movies for 1$ and 2 more movies respectively 11.95 and 8.95. I did a combination of Pixar films and Ghibli films. I got the 4 Ghibli titles and 3 Pixars. I have to buy 3 movies at full price in the next 24 months. And so far I haven't seen a featured title appear yet to have to deny but the bar showing the featured title appears right at the top and gives you a choice to accept or not with the push of button basically. So far I like it it seems like you can get some decent deals with bulk purchases and if you keep up with the disney rewards you can get ALOT more out of it.

Shouldn't you only have to buy two more?

I am torn. Do I wait hoping they add some, but risk any of the current four that are available going out of stock? Or do I just do it now since there are other movies I want as well (missing a few Pixar and some classics my wife wants for our family collection)?

I think this is what the kids refer to as "first world problems". ;)

#48 mrsilkunderwear   Just Do It. CAGiversary!   1701 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

mrsilkunderwear

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

Just joined the club and got 7 movies. Will buy Castle in the Sky from Amazon. Thanks!

#49 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

Also, on the DMC, most of the movies, either DVD or Blu, are $25, and if you buy one at full price, every title after that is 40% off. That includes exclusives like the DVD tins, the Ducktales movie, and the Kim Possible season sets.

#50 Vap   Banned Banned   1684 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

Dude! Thanks for the Disney rewards idea. I wasn't wanting to drop $90 on 5 blu rays ATM, so this is a nice way to get them cheap. In sure I can find 2-3 movies to buy at full price in the next 2 years.

One thing though. I never seen any of these movies but I hear so many good things about them. Are they worth a blind buy?

#51 kill3r7   MiNd ThE GaP CAGiversary!   4623 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

Dude! Thanks for the Disney rewards idea. I wasn't wanting to drop $90 on 5 blu rays ATM, so this is a nice way to get them cheap. In sure I can find 2-3 movies to buy at full price in the next 2 years.

One thing though. I never seen any of these movies but I hear so many good things about them. Are they worth a blind buy?

Almost all of them are worth a blind buy. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are amazing, although they are not out on Blu-ray. Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbor Totoro are coming out on Blu-ray May 21st (next week). Castle in the Sky is also very good as is Nausicaa, both are out on Blu-ray.

#52 FJO   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   49 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

Unless you're a completely heartless b*stard with no soul or someone that absolutely can't stand the very concept of "cartoons," than yes, the Ghibli movies are worth a blind buy. You won't regret watching and owning them.

#53 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2590 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:17 PM

The worst Studio Ghibli film kicks 98% of western animated films square in the nuts. Studio Ghilbli is better than most other studios on their worst day. They are the Pixar of Japan.

Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, and Nausica are all stellar, well worth a blind purchase. The rest are slightly less awesome, but still excellent. Grave of the Fireflies is well known for being one of the most tragic animated films in history. If you don't cry at the end of Grave of the Fireflies, you have no soul.

#54 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   13550 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:46 PM

Just a heads-up, that From Up on Poppy Hill will be released on September 3rd, and pre-orders are up on Amazon. It's not released by Disney, but still has a solid english voiced cast:

http://www.amazon.co...p on poppy hill

Interesting. I had to DL a fansub because no theaters around here picked it up, but I can see why Disney didn't pick it up. It deals with some not so family friendly topics hehe.

The worst Studio Ghibli film kicks 98% of western animated films square in the nuts. Studio Ghilbli is better than most other studios on their worst day. They are the Pixar of Japan.

Just stay the hell away from Earthsea lol. Easily their worst film.

#55 eLefAdEr   All Systems Go CAGiversary!   1449 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:47 PM

Almost all of them are worth a blind buy. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are amazing, although they are not out on Blu-ray.

If these two were out already on :br: and part of this sale, I would probably bite. Both excellent movies.

Still thinking about Nausica as it's the only one in the list that I've seen besides the two above. All this talk about the others has me considering a few.

#56 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:09 AM

Just stay the hell away from Earthsea lol. Easily their worst film.

Yea, Earthsea was horrible.

Ponyo is a good film, but it is extremely childish. It is about halfway between Nick Jr.-level and Hanna Barbara/Filmation level. Whispers of the Heart and Pom Poko are well done but very YMMV.

#57 Mako1215   Mr.OneOfWonder CAGiversary!   7270 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:13 AM

Buying them all on Blu-ray.

#58 kitsunisan   Meh. CAGiversary!   1533 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

kitsunisan

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

Just joined the club and got 7 movies. Will buy Castle in the Sky from Amazon. Thanks!

Exactly the same for me. Got Arrietty, Kiki, Nausica, Ponyo, Whisper of the Heart, Brave and Incredibles, with Castle in the Sky and Spirited Away from Amazon. I can pay $30 for two more bluray movies in the next two years, crossing my fingers that Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle will be added in that time, reserving those two spots just for them. :bouncy:

#59 FlamedLiquid   The Kersed Sowl CAGiversary!   8212 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

FlamedLiquid

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

I decided to not buy Castle in the Sky....the only Ghibli blu I need. I too am hoping they add it to the Disney club. I only need to buy 1 more $30 title to fulfill my commitment and then I can sign up yet again. Already on my second run.

#60 granturismo  

granturismo

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

shame i missed this