Scribblenauts Unmasked

Erad30

CAGiversary!
Scribblenauts Unmasked Preview

Even the Justice League is no match for the power of adjectives.

by Marty Sliva
May 15, 2013

DC Comics fans craving a sandbox may have finally found one. As we reported last month, the next installment in 5th Cell's linguistic toy is centered around the classic tales of DC’s superhero universe. Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure, coming to the Wii U, 3DS, and PC later this year, aims to marry the creative expression 5th Cell’s game series with the deep well of stories and characters that DC has cultivated over the past 80 years.

While this is the first entry in the Scribblenauts series to focus around a single property, this isn’t the first time that licensed characters have appeared in the franchise. 2012’s Scribblenauts Unlimited featured a handful of famous Nintendo characters such as Link and Mario that could be summoned into the world. However, players were unable to alter any of those characters in the object creator. This is certainly not the case with Unmasked, as a recent preview event showed that adding the word “zombie” in front of Batman’s name created an undead version of The Dark Knight who quickly went to town infecting a couple dozen nearby superheroes.
Alongside a slew of familiar characters, Warner guided us through many iconic locales such as the Batcave, Gotham City, and the Green Lantern Corps’ home-world of Oa. Packed within each of these settings are heroic feats, which act as the game’s core objectives. Ranging from sensible tasks like "kill Doomsday" to stranger requests such as "wake up a sleeping Batman," these dynamically generated instances provide players with an endless supply of mission to accomplish in order to earn reputation, which acts as Unmasked’s main form of currency.

Warner Bros. made the bold promise that this installment of Scribblenauts is set to feature every character in the DC superhero universe, ranging from 33 variations of Batman (Batmen?) to obscure trivia-bait who only appeared on a single panel of a Flash comic back in the ‘70s. In total, the game features over 2000 characters from the comic-book vault, each of which features a Wikipedia-style fact sheet on their position in the DC universe.
batcavejpg-acbade.jpg
That's a pretty big penny.

But honestly, just saying that the game houses over 2000 characters doesn’t really put things into perspective. Hell, even telling us that there are 130 different Green Lanterns still didn’t make me fully appreciate the journey into DC history that 5th Cell took. It didn't really sink in until a colleague who was also attending the Warner Bros. preview event asked if Mogo was in the game, and a member of the development team quickly answered his question by typing in those four letters and summoning the gigantic, sentient planet created by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons in the ‘80s. Mogo immediately proceeded to kill The Joker with some sort of magic space energy.
Yep, it looks like DC fans are going to find a lot to like in Scribblenauts Unmasked.

-I absolutely loved Scribblenauts, it was my favorite Wii U launch title. Can't wait for this follow up.

Can't wait for this! I'm a big comics fan (especially DC) and really enjoyed the last Scribblenauts title.

I'm very excited about this as well, I love the series and it's nice to see that this one is coming to Wii U again.

bread's done
Back