* * * * - 31 votes

The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V8 ~ Summer Sale Encore Day! | Rage $4.99 | Retro City Rampage $2.99 | Crysis $5.99 | Endless Space $10.19 |

Backlog on my backlog Pokemanz Spoder sense 2deep4me Summer Seal Trading Cardz

#4411 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

King's Bounty: The Legend is absolutely worth it if you don't already have it.  It's a fantastic RPG.

Of the other games in there, I liked Fantasy Wars (turn-based strategy combat game, predecessor to Elven Legacy), the two Real Warfare games (not great, but serviceable Total War-type games), and Men of War: Vietnam (probably the worst of the MoW series, but I'm a sucker for those types of games, not that I'm any good at them).  Death to Spies: Moment of Truth I haven't played yet, but I've heard good things about it, assuming you like your stealth games to be quite difficult; I played its prequel, and I couldn't make it past the 2nd mission, although I still came away with a favorable opinion of it.  Reign: Conflict of Nations is a strategy game that I really, really wanted to like, but it's mediocre... might be worth playing, but other games (i.e. Knights of Honor) do the exact thing much better.

Haven't played the two racing games or Star Wolves 2 (which is on my wishlist, although I've heard it's a decent game buried under a buggy mess).

hmm, well that sounds like it's worth buying. I have very little experience with RPG and strategy games though, are these hard to get into?

#4412 Izod   CheepLikeASpoder CAGiversary!   2294 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

I think DLC Quest for $1.50 is fine. It's short but enjoyable.

#4413 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

I think DLC Quest for $1.50 is fine. It's short but enjoyable.

it's also bundle fodder...

#4414 Genocidal   Summer of Punk CAGiversary!   4845 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

it's also bundle fodder...

True, because it was already in a bundle (two, if you count the Chosen bundle repeat). Don't see it getting another bundle in the near future.

#4415 jshackles   Enhanced Steam Guy CAGiversary!   1637 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

I really enjoyed DLC Quest - which includes both the original campaign and the expansion campaign.  True it's short - it took me 2 hours to complete both campaigns - but 2 hours of entertainment for $1.49 is a pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

And now I have a question (if anyone knows) about the newly released Magic 2014.

What the hell is this: http://store.steampo...com/app/219622/ ???

Trying to categorize it for Enhanced Steam (and decide if I want to buy it) but it's not exactly clear on what you're getting...

#4416 DaiMonPaul   On the Fringe CAGiversary!   403 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

hmm, well that sounds like it's worth buying. I have very little experience with RPG and strategy games though, are these hard to get into?

King's Bounty: The Legend is pretty easy to pick up and play, I think.  It might take a while to find the optimal strategies to winning in the turn-based battles or in figuring out the best composition of your troops/party, but it's fun, it's long, and it's pretty easy to get into.  Not an easy game, but not difficult to learn.  I had a similar experience with Fantasy Wars... not too difficult to get the basics, although there's some complexity there that will take time to fully understand.

The other strategy games are a bit harder to pick up and play.  The Men of War series has a high difficulty level; if you learn one of the games in the series, you learn how to play them all, but there's a lot of detail and micromanagement there.  I found that watching a Let's Play certainly helped.  I'd recommend the same for Reign: Conflict of Nations -- or at least reading the manual.  It's a somewhat obtuse grand strategy game with a high learning curve.  It takes a while to figure out exactly what's going on, but if you can put in the time, you'll get some enjoyment out of it.  I called it "mediocre" in my previous post, but it's really not a bad game... it just doesn't hold up to some other titles in the genre.

#4417 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

I really enjoyed DLC Quest - which includes both the original campaign and the expansion campaign.  True it's short - it took me 2 hours to complete both campaigns - but 2 hours of entertainment for $1.49 is a pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

And now I have a question (if anyone knows) about the newly released Magic 2014.

Trying to categorize it for Enhanced Steam (and decide if I want to buy it) but it's not exactly clear on what you're getting...

sounds like just extra cards, which would probably fall under the microtransaction DLC banner. Just guessing though, as I have no experience with playing any of the games.

#4418 Izod   CheepLikeASpoder CAGiversary!   2294 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

I second the Squirrel.

#4419 jshackles   Enhanced Steam Guy CAGiversary!   1637 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

Okay found the answer about the "Sealed Deck Slots" in Magic 2014:

The game will come with two available slots for players to start Sealed Campaigns. These slots will keep all the deck edits and additions you make, plus your progress though the Sealed Deck Campaign. If you’d like to save more than two Sealed Decks, additional slots can be purchased for $1.99 each, and each slot will give you access to a different pool of cards and allows you to unlock different boosters. All Booster Packs use cards from a 180+ card “set” that’s unique to the game. To begin a Campaign, players will pick an open slot and get six 14-card Booster Packs to open. Players are then taken to the Deck Editor so they can create a 40-card Sealed Deck out of the 84 card pool they’ve opened (plus Basic Lands).

When finished creating a deck, players can then battle their way through the Sealed Deck Campaign in order to unlock an additional three Booster Packs along the way. At the end of the Campaign there will be a boss fight where the player will play to defeat another Sealed Deck. You can also use your Sealed Decks to play against other players.

I'm planning on buying Magic 2014 anyway - guess I'll try the two included "deck slots" and see if there is really any difference.

#4420 The End   America's Sweetheart CAGiversary!   6167 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

Is anybody else having trouble listing things for sale on the market? I try to put things up for sale, but they don't appear on the list of items for sale.

#4421 xanchui   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   526 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

There's a new sealed deck mode, where you get 6 (I think) sealed deck packs and you build a custom deck out of them. You get 2 deck slots with the game, but can buy additional deck slots for more custom deck action. 

#4422 iSerra   With the new day comes new thoughts CAGiversary!   1110 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

Sealed Deck is a different format from the usual magic gameplay. You use those packs and build a deck using only the cards contained from the packs.

#4423 jshackles   Enhanced Steam Guy CAGiversary!   1637 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

There's a new sealed deck mode, where you get 6 (I think) sealed deck packs and you build a custom deck out of them. You get 2 deck slots with the game, but can buy additional deck slots for more custom deck action. 

Thanks for the heads up.  I started playing Magic: The Gathering in beta back in 1993.  I stopped playing with the physical cards about 6 years ago and for the past few years have just been playing the Plainswalker games.  Nice to see they've finally added a deck building / sealed deck gameplay mechanic.

Sealed Deck is a different format from the usual magic gameplay. You use those packs and build a deck using only the cards contained from the packs.

I guess my original question should have been "are there additional cards or booster types that can only be unlocked with these purchases?"  The answer, after researching, is "no".  There are 154 cards available in the sealed deck campaign.  Even though you won't get all of these cards in a single "deck pool", buying additional slots doesn't add new cards it only allows you to start a new campaign with 6 new booster packs which contain a random assortment of those same 154 cards.

#4424 Izod   CheepLikeASpoder CAGiversary!   2294 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

Booster Draft is the only real way to play Magic - sounds like that's what the sealed is going for??

#4425 jshackles   Enhanced Steam Guy CAGiversary!   1637 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

Booster Draft is the only real way to play Magic - sounds like that's what the sealed is going for??

Booster draft is different since that involves multiple players picking from the same packs, which introduces a lot of strategy in choosing the cards you need.  This sealed deck mode is literally a "open packs, get cards, make a deck from everything."

#4426 travathian   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1891 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

I am right in that none of the actual Magic games on Steam play anything like the real world version? ie deck building, booster drafts, sealed deck tourneys, etc  Also, MP options like 5 color? 2v2? 3v3?

Oh, and lol wut? $90 game on Steam is in alpha . . .

http://store.steampo...com/app/233250/

#4427 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

where are my cardz?!!

#4428 jshackles   Enhanced Steam Guy CAGiversary!   1637 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

I am right in that none of the actual Magic games on Steam play anything like the real world version? ie deck building, booster drafts, sealed deck tourneys, etc  Also, MP options like 5 color? 2v2? 3v3?

Yeah you're mostly correct.  What you're looking for is MTGO (Magic: The Gathering Online) in which you pay full price for digital booster packs to build your card collection, construct any deck you want, and play online against others in a variety of multiplayer options.  As expensive as the real thing.

Duels of the Plainswalkers is a dumbed down version with mostly pre-constructed decks.

#4429 Eldredpe   Disconcerted CAGiversary!   2560 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

It's a game that was kickstarted, and the $90 tier was what got you the alpha.

They're just making the alpha available at that price post-kickstarter.

It looks silly at first, but to sell it for any cheaper would screw over the people that originally backed it.

When it hits beta the price will go down to whatever beta access was on the kickstarter.

#4430 Genocidal   Summer of Punk CAGiversary!   4845 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

Yeah you're mostly correct.  What you're looking for is MTGO (Magic: The Gathering Online) in which you pay full price for digital booster packs to build your card collection, construct any deck you want, and play online against others in a variety of multiplayer options.  As expensive as the real thing.

Duels of the Plainswalkers is a dumbed down version with mostly pre-constructed decks.

What he's really looking for is Hex. ;)

#4431 Tsel   The Dark Knight CAGiversary!   7566 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

stem cardz were r u

#4432 spoderman  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

CARDZ!

Binding of Isaac
Company of Heroes 2
GRID 2
Warframe
Crusader Kings II
Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4
Psychonauts

#4433 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

NEW CARDZ:

#4434 Meowlo   Steam Addict CAGiversary!   1294 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

I'm curious to see the market value of these new cards now that everybody has access to them.

#4435 sasquatc4   CAG in Limbo CAGiversary!   1626 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

Also cards are coming to Endless Space, saw this in the notes for todays update:

CHANGES AND ADDITIONS [Both Versions]
- Added Steam Trading Cards for Endless Space

#4436 hal   Game Hoarder CAGiversary!   5626 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

With that huge STC banner across the store front, it would seem unlikely that the sale would begin tomorrow. I'm guessing they'll want to give everyone a week to learn about and use the cards... and then implement them somehow in the Summer Sale.

#4437 Larce80   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   810 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

No sale this week then
:(

#4438 The End   America's Sweetheart CAGiversary!   6167 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

I was just given a trading card & trading card foil that are completely blank. It says that the regular card is a reward for participating in the beta, and the foil is a reward for crafting a badge during the beta. I guess they are wildcards or something.

EDIT: Never mind, they're Emoticons.

#4439 utopianmachine   Deal Ninja CAGiversary!   10352 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

utopianmachine

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

Cool. I have Psychonauts and Isaac.

#4440 pepsiguy_2   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   303 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

pepsiguy_2

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

"There was an error getting listings for this item. Please try again later."

Market died

Thanks alot, STC. HSLF6CW.png