Diablo 3 $34.99 PC/Mac @ Amazon

AirMcLaren

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Lowest I've seen it in a while. Or ever. Blizzard games don't drop in price often so if you're on the fence--bite now.

Diablo 3 $34.99

Edit: It's also listed for $39.99 from Blizzard's website. You'll have to pull that up yourself, I don't think I can link it here since it doesn't show a price for checkout until after I've logged in with my own information.

Edit 2.0:
Diablo 3 will be $39.99 this week through Blizzard's online store, a savings of 33 percent, for both the Windows and Mac versions. That offer runs until May 21, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. PT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the jury a 'No" on D3? I've played Torchlight 2, but never a Diablo. Would like something similar to T2 w/ a different art style.

[quote name='ChuckInKC']Is the jury a 'No" on D3? I've played Torchlight 2, but never a Diablo. Would like something similar to T2 w/ a different art style.[/QUOTE]

Play Path of Exile, it's free.

Stay far away from D3

Even as OP I'm hesitant to pull the trigger. I've heard a lot of negative feedback because of the DRM but to me I think that's blown out of proportion. Personally, I have two issues.

My first issue is the auction house defeating the purpose of looting and dungeons, and apparently the lack of replayability once you get to harder difficulty levels on your multiple playthroughs.

Secondly, is the lack of customization in the classes. I played through the demo all the way, until you defeat the first "boss." And I was VERY disappointed with how linear the leveling-system seemed. I didn't feel like it was MY character. I felt like I was the same as any other person playing the same class as me. Attributes were automatically distributed, and the skills were very limited. But maybe that's just how the demo version was.

Anyone clarify?

[quote name='AirMcLaren']Lowest I've seen it in a while. Or ever. Blizzard games don't drop in price often so if you're on the fence--bite now.

Diablo 3 $34.99

Edit: It's also listed for $39.99 from Blizzard's website. You'll have to pull that up yourself, I don't think I can link it here since it doesn't show a price for checkout until after I've logged in with my own information.

Edit 2.0:
Diablo 3 will be $39.99 this week through Blizzard's online store, a savings of 33 percent, for both the Windows and Mac versions. That offer runs until May 21, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. PT.[/QUOTE]

D3 was $10 during TRU's PC game blowout last October.
{shrug}

Though, blow-outs like that, they're rare...since they were getting rid of all their PC stock period.

[quote name='ChuckInKC']Is the jury a 'No" on D3? I've played Torchlight 2, but never a Diablo.[/quote]
Can't go wrong w/ Torchlight 2.

Would like something similar to T2 w/ a different art style.
D3 is a DIFFERENT kind of Diablo.
If you liked TL2, you might not want to play D3.
You'd be better off w/ Diablo 2 + Lord of Destruction; Titan Quest: Gold; and Sacred 2: Gold.

[quote name='AirMcLaren']Even as OP I'm hesitant to pull the trigger. I've heard a lot of negative feedback because of the DRM but to me I think that's blown out of proportion. Personally, I have two issues.[/quote]
The DRM's garbage. This game doesn't need it - especially since the upcoming PS3/4 versions won't even have the DRM.
Plus, it's easy enough to blow through D3 (at least on its normal starting diffculty) all alone w/out any help. Actually, this game's MORE solo-friendly than ever before, in some ways - as there's a new Lore mechanic (these are audio-logs/text-logs you get from making it to areas, killing enemies for a 1st time, finding items, etc) and companion NPC's (bots) banter to you like crazy.

My first issue is the auction house defeating the purpose of looting and dungeons, and apparently the lack of replayability once you get to harder difficulty levels on your multiple playthroughs.
Didn't touch it b/c I played alone.

Secondly, is the lack of customization in the classes. I played through the demo all the way, until you defeat the first "boss." And I was VERY disappointed with how linear the leveling-system seemed. I didn't feel like it was MY character. I felt like I was the same as any other person playing the same class as me. Attributes were automatically distributed, and the skills were very limited. But maybe that's just how the demo version was.

Anyone clarify?

Yep, the entire game is like this. It tries hard to make sure no0bs don't make a "broken build", more or less. As you level-up, you earn/unlock different "variations" of certain skills (called Runes). Since there isn't point distribution and all of that - they could've tried to tackle w/ this problem another way: they could've had each way more skills & Rune variations. But, nope - they didn't do that.

[quote name='ChuckInKC']Is the jury a 'No" on D3? I've played Torchlight 2, but never a Diablo. Would like something similar to T2 w/ a different art style.[/QUOTE]

Torchlight 2 is better than Diablo 3. I bought D3 when it was clearanced to $10 on the Microsoft Store site and it was barely worth that.

[quote name='spoderman']Torchlight 2 is better than Diablo 3.[/quote]
THIS,

I bought D3 when it was clearanced to $10 on the Microsoft Store site and it was barely worth that.
Oh, I thought D3 was worth $10 - it's just nowhere as awesome as some other ARPG's.
D3 might be a good ARPG for a person who's never-ever even played one before.

OR an option to "auto-level" or do-it-yourself (this is not new, lol).

Thanks for all the feedback, MysterD. I almost impulse bought this just for the sake of the "deal" but I think I've decided against it, at least at ~$35-40.

I bought it for $60 at release on a spur of the moment buy, I never liked diablo 1 or 2 but bought into the hype and absolutely loved 3. It looks so polished and streamlined imo but I can see how people find POE and torchlight more attractive due to how much more complex they are. It's probably my most played game the past year so I have no complaints about it. If you are unsure, try the free demo for diablo 3. You can pretty much get a feel for it with that.

People who hate Diablo 3 have already played it 500 hours and come to that conclusion. So take that for what it's worth. You'll have a LOT of fun with the game till a point. I know I have, and I have a lot of hours into it (which I won't disclose because it will make me depressed!).

i also want to add, don't waste your money. I also liked torchlight better. It's definitely not worth 35 bucks.

Yeah, the always online DRM is a huge pain in the butt, and the auction house is kind of like an online economy system much like gold mining was for WoW. When they started adding features after the fact, they just bumped up the auction house. Idk if anyone really plays this game anymore, really. The push has pretty much died down and Blizzard is putting a lot of their effort into Starcraft II titles, I think.

Torchlight is pretty amazing, I have to admit.
torchlight.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the sale started on Sunday, but I just can't get myself to pay more than $20 for this one. It was $29.99 over the holidays and I still watched it, meh'ing.

A game this limited and such a sad, empty shell in a franchise of great glory days just doesn't warrant to me more than the $20 that Starcraft 2 WoL routinely goes for now.

bread's done
Back