Whats the most disappointing game played recently ?

Alex121006

CAGiversary!
just curious. whats one of the most disappointing game(s) you have played recently ? it could have been in the past month or even the past year or two.
you know, a game that was coming out that you was really excited about playing, but just let you down. again, just curious.

Bioshock Infinite, more recently, for me. But, the BIG one, the one that still sticks with me after all the years, is Perfect Dark Zero.

Jesus, now I'm starting to get upset all over again.

Personally, my biggest disappointment was Mass Effect 2. I loved the first (still one of my top 10 360 games), and absolutely hated ME2.

There are probably some other minor disappointments, but that's the one that still bothers me the most.

The most recent disappointment that comes to mind is Mass Effect 3. Actually, disappointment is putting it generously in light of the whole game. The game was awesome until the final hour or so, after which it was a complete disaster.

Uncharted 3 was also kind of disappointing. Some of the characters and story elements in Un3 felt completely wrong after the first two games.

[quote name='PrinnyJ']Personally, my biggest disappointment was Mass Effect 2. I loved the first (still one of my top 10 360 games), and absolutely hated ME2.

There are probably some other minor disappointments, but that's the one that still bothers me the most.[/QUOTE]

Wow... I never figured I'd see someone else say they liked ME1 more, thought I wouldn't say I hated ME2. I really liked ME2 but to me, ME1 was just a much more enjoyable experience.

[quote name='eulogywerd21']Bioshock Infinite, more recently, for me.[/QUOTE]

Same here. If someone told me this game was made 10 years ago I would have believed them.

Darksiders for 360. The only game I've ever stopped playing, because of framerate. After playing amazing games, like GoW and Bayonetta, Darksiders was a HUGE step down.

El Shaddai. I can't play it without instantly falling asleep from boredom. A good sign of disappointment is when you regret geting an achievement knowing that now it can't be deleted from your game history.

[quote name='Kerig']A good sign of disappointment is when you regret geting an achievement knowing that now it can't be deleted from your game history.[/QUOTE]

Haha. I know that feeling! You are playing a game and are thinking "bla, Im gonna sell this one on Amazon..." and you hear that achievement noise pop and you just think "DAMMIT!". I have a good handful of games like that.

I would suggest that MS would let you delete achievements from your history come the X1, but they really dont seem to care what gamers want.

I wouldn't say disappointed, but I clearly did not enjoy Journey as much as I was supposed to. I finished it and was basically like, "well that was different."

I can't really say I'm surprised by the CAGs on here who said Mass Effect 2/3, but Mass Effect will remain my favorite series of games ever. I enjoyed all of them thoroughly and feel like hardcore RPG players hated the changes in 2/3 and just about everybody hated 3 because the ending wasn't what they expected. I won't say I loved the ending but I still thought it was acceptable even before the update.

ALSO: fuck Nintendo for making me begin to hate Zelda through the use of stupid controls. I tolerated Phantom Hourglass and then just got pissed by Spirit Tracks. Skyward Sword still makes me wish there was a GameCube version like Twilight Princess had.

Fez & Fallout New Vegas. I loved everything about Fez before it came out; the music, the 8 Bit Graphics, & the changing of perception to solve puzzles. I saw it on Youtube years before it came and wished for it to come out on XBLA and when it finally did...complete snoozefest after an hour or two. Since Fallout 3 is my favorite game I took it for granted New Vegas would at least be similar enough for me to enjoy it somewhat...nope. The story isn't great, the land is barren & boring, there are too many NPCs walking about, & it was buggy as HELL. I tried to give it a second chance & even bought the Ultimate Edition just in case I began to like it but nope. Same problems.

Diablo 3. Diablo 2 is basically right around my top 10 favorite games ever, and Diablo 3 is not remotely a worthy sequel. To go even further, Diablo 3 is probably my biggest disappointment ever in gaming, and also my most hated sequel.

Metro: Last Light for me. Fantastic atmosphere, but the gameplay bored me to tears. And the AI is brutally awful. I had to finally put it down after getting about half way through.

For me , Bioshock.

I had never played the series before so I picked up the Ultimate Rapture Edition shortly after release with some GS credit to finally give it a shot. Well after several attempts I've finally given up on it. The world is so empty, dark, and dreary. I've talked to maybe 4 people the whole game. I dont care about the splicers or the little sisters or anything, its such a grind to get through and I have no interest in continuing any further. Add in the boring combat and the AWFUL hacking mechanics and its time to part ways with the game. I know I'm only halfway or so through the story (right before the big twist that I know is coming) but I have so little time to game these days anyway, I wanna enjoy what I'm playing.

[quote name='bilbobagins3']I wouldn't say disappointed, but I clearly did not enjoy Journey as much as I was supposed to. I finished it and was basically like, "well that was different."

I can't really say I'm surprised by the CAGs on here who said Mass Effect 2/3, but Mass Effect will remain my favorite series of games ever. I enjoyed all of them thoroughly and feel like hardcore RPG players hated the changes in 2/3 and just about everybody hated 3 because the ending wasn't what they expected. I won't say I loved the ending but I still thought it was acceptable even before the update.

ALSO: fuck Nintendo for making me begin to hate Zelda through the use of stupid controls. I tolerated Phantom Hourglass and then just got pissed by Spirit Tracks. Skyward Sword still makes me wish there was a GameCube version like Twilight Princess had.[/QUOTE]

wow, i totaly agree with you. i cant understand why journey got such a huge metacritic score ? i heard so much about this game, how great it is, how amazing it looks, how your going to want to play it over and over again. but just like you, at the ending i said... well i guess that was different. dont get me wrong, it wasn't bad or anything. but no where as "great" everybody says.

1.) Mass Effect 2
2.) Mass Effect 3
3.) Gears of War 3
4.) Assassin's Creed 3
5.) Dragon Age II

Honorable mentions to Borderlands 1, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City and Dragon's Dogma.

Stranglehold. It doesn't feel like a 360/PS3 game. Feels more like an original Xbox/PS2 game. I understand that it was more of a launch title. I just don't feel like I'll ever want to complete that game. I even watched "Hardboiled" before playing just to get into the game.

Bioshock Infinite but I haven't finished, but I also have little desire to.

Modern Warfare 3 was so much of a 1.5 update that I couldn't help but be disappointed-as soon as the title screen popped on and looked identical to MW2 I knew it was trouble...online is still solid tough.

I preordered Assassin's Creed 3 and wanted so badly for it to be a great game. Not so much.

Hey what do you know, three big franchises disappointed. I think its tough towards the end of a gen to crank out a game that excites gamers or catches critics off guard. A lot of companies are milking huge install bases with sequels. Add to that the fact that consumers have seen all of what the tech can do visually, and you have a recipe for disappointment.

I hope that The Last of Us and GTA V look as good in person as they do in pics and out of the devs hands. I'm no graphics whore but I'm ready for next gen and more detail, more people playing online at once, and bigger worlds with more interaction.

I haven't been blown away by a game since...I dunno.

I guess Sleeping Dogs. I wanted more Yakuza and less generic shooter / driving sequences.

Modern Warfare 3 was a massive disappointment, especially after Black Ops. It's like Infinity Ward tried their hardest to make the worst possible CoD ever made.

Neverwinter has fantastic combat and really fun pvp, so it's a shame that there's so little pvp options in the game, and the game's design is pay-to-win. I'm still hoping they add more pvp modes to the game soon, but I have a feeling that anything they add making the game worth playing won't happen until after Wildstar comes out.

Guild Wars 2 really turned me off with the carebear attitude toward everything. Can't have any competition in that game, so you don't compete for quest mobs, or crafting mats, or anything. And no world pvp either. Everybody said it was gonna be the next great MMO, and it turned out worse than TOR.

[quote name='Abear21']Bioshock Infinite but I haven't finished, but I also have little desire to.

o.[/QUOTE]
How far did you get? I felt like it dragged for the first 45 minutes at least but once I got Elizabeth it picked up in my opinion.

I thought infinite lived up to the hype, though I didn't get too caught up in media for it and initially my expectations were low. Though there's always going to be people who don't like games that are so big in terms of hype and praise. This isn't a slight against anyone and I'm not saying people dislike these games just for the sake of it but some peopl. Will find faults

Mortal Kombat. I used to have a blast with them as a kid, so I bought the ultimate edition. Turns out I hated it and only played for about 30 minutes. I tried to come back to it but I still hated it.

[quote name='Rumors']How far did you get? I felt like it dragged for the first 45 minutes at least but once I got Elizabeth it picked up in my opinion.

I thought infinite lived up to the hype, though I didn't get too caught up in media for it and initially my expectations were low. Though there's always going to be people who don't like games that are so big in terms of hype and praise. This isn't a slight against anyone and I'm not saying people dislike these games just for the sake of it but some peopl. Will find faults[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, I think I did let the hype get to me. I got to the part where you enter the really poor and ragged side of town, I went down a really long elevator to get there. I think I just miss Rapture, the new setting is really cool, but I couldn't get passed the fact that even with the rails and sky in the background, the levels are just open corridor sequences and very linear.

I guess I'm over this type of design and prefer open world...hopefully I like The Last of Us but I know it's going to be this way too. Nothing bothers me more in games than seeing parts of the world but not being able to go there and feeling boxed in.

I managed to talk my wife into playing Star Trek with me. We were severely disappointed us twice. Once when actually playing it and then the next night when we discovered there is no way to continue a couch coop game with a guest.

Aliens: Colonial Marines.  I was really looking forward to it.  I played through about half of it before tapping out... it was boring as hell and the difficulty was so uneven.  I got stuck on the sewer level and after dying for the 20th time I was asking myself why am I even doing this to myself and quit.

Bioshock 1 for me.The story,setting,and atomsphere were great,but the gameplay felt like a really dubbed down version of System Shock 2.The enemy variety was also pretty lackluster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crysis 3 on 360

It actually looks amazing but just like the first two, the guns seem like they have absolutely no impact and as a result, anytime that I get into a legit gun battle, my fun comes to a screeching halt. I essentially stealthed my way through Crysis 2 on PS3 but I don't know if I'll bother with this one anymore.

J. Cripes, what did you morons expect these games to do, blow you?

This is like a list of "Best Games of the Year" with a few pieces of actual garbage thrown in for good measure. 

"Wah, I'm so disappointed that Bioshock Infinite was only terrific and not mind-blowing! Wahhhh!" For every great game you didn't quite love there are a hundred awful games that looked awesome at E3. 

This is like a list of "Best Games of the Year" with a few pieces of actual garbage thrown in for good measure.

"Wah, I'm so disappointed that Bioshock Infinite was only terrific and not mind-blowing! Wahhhh!" For every great game you didn't quite love there are a hundred awful games that looked awesome at E3.
Well if you are going to post for the first time in two months I guess you gotta make it count.

It really blows your mind that people can dislike popular games, eh?

Totally agreed with Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, it was impossible to aim efficiently, AI was ridiculous. First time i've played it, i thought "damn i bought another game hack of contra".

And MtG: Duels of the Planeswalkers, There is no balance between decks and world's easiest campaign mode with hardest bosses. They had to balance these decks since they didn't let us customize them. It's more like a "I chose a better deck than yours" game than a strategy game.

In the end Bioshock Infinite did not blow me away to quite the degree that the original Bioshock did but there is a very predictable backlash against *anything* that sells/performs well and is hailed as one of the best examples of its particular media. It happens with movies, music, probably books although I don't follow book critics. I'm currently waiting for the outcry about "The Last of Us" not being as great as reviews have stated.

I'm not saying that everyone who rates it a 7/10 instead of a 9/10 is full of shit but stirring the pot is a good way to get noticed.

God of War 3. They toned down the puzzles so much that they solved themselves, no thinking required.

I haven't been playing much in the way of new games but of the games I have played over the last few months, Bioshock Infinite was probably the most disappointed I've been.  I really bought the hype and expected the same magic as the first Bioshock but was completely let down. 

For me it didn't feel any different than all the other generic shooters that come out each year except it had a bigger marketing campaign and a little more polish.  There was very little that was memorable about it and the story was just dull.  My biggest complaint was that there was just too many moments where it felt like the game was artificially padding out its length.  You're almost ready to advance to the next part then it's "oh but wait, we need this key waaaaay back over here, let's go" :roll:  That annoyed the absolute piss out of me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Resident Evil 6. The only game in my life that makes me so angry I can't even play it. The perfect example of of "too many cooks in the kitchen". Etc etc etc.

It's still mindboggling how badly they fucked that game up.

In the end Bioshock Infinite did not blow me away to quite the degree that the original Bioshock did but there is a very predictable backlash against *anything* that sells/performs well and is hailed as one of the best examples of its particular media. It happens with movies, music, probably books although I don't follow book critics. I'm currently waiting for the outcry about "The Last of Us" not being as great as reviews have stated.

I'm not saying that everyone who rates it a 7/10 instead of a 9/10 is full of shit but stirring the pot is a good way to get noticed.

It seems like there's an abnormally high number of people who were disappointed with it, more so than the average number of "I don't like this really popular game".

Part of me wants to say that it's probably because everyone expected it to have a big twist like the original or that they couldn't figure out the story. I liked the original slightly more thanks to its originality and concept but Infinite had a better setting, better gameplay, and told a better story.

I'm actually playing through all of my massive backlog on steam in alphabetical order atm. So far, I have been surprisingly un-dissapointed. Not through the A's yet though...

Hiya.  First post here, not that anyone asked.

Looking back, I don't really recall a whole lotta games I've played disappointing me terribly.  The closest thing I can think of are Metal Gear Solids 2 and 3, although I heard enough stridently negative things about those games to keep disappointments at bay.  I went into Halo thinking it was going to have a better single player experience.

Most games to fill my disappointment gauge would have to be some of those games I thought was simply pretty good instead of the amazing titles I thought they would be going into to them.  The first time I was disappointed by a game was Chrono Trigger over 15 years ago (sidenote: you haven't lived until you encounter a raging Chrono fanboy who can't possibly comprehend that your opinions, experiences and tastes might somewhat differ from his).  Other games include Contra III, Perfect Dark, Final Fantasy X, GTA: San Andreas, Devil May Cry 3, Assassin's Creed, and most recently Assassin's Creed III.  Among others.  Like I said, pretty good, but not amazing.

bread's done
Back