First job interview, Any advice?

monksman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I landed my first job interview at Applebees as a line cook this Wednesday. Could you guys help me out with any advice?

It's not a super formal institution, so it should be fine to come to the interview in business casual: dress shirt, slacks, black socks and shoes.

Like mac said. Don't sweat it too much. I'm pretty sure they're hiring because they are shortstaffed and really want someone quick, so make sure you tell them you can be available as soon as possible and do enjoy working with people with a common goal and if they tell you sorry, you're not the right candidate, tell them to shove it up their pooper!

Alright, looks like I gotta iron the ol slacks! Yeah they're hiring because they're short on staff. Hopefully I get this job! Thanks for the help guys!

Well I was scheduled for today, but it got cancelled. A tornado touched ground right outside the place while I was there. Pretty interesting experience, but now I have to reschedule it. Hopefully it's soon.

Don't sweat it too much, for places like this interviews are basically just there to make sure you can pass a drug test and don't seem totally crazy. I went for an interview at Kroger about 6 years ago(also my first), and awkwardly answered a few questions and said a few things about myself. Before I even left they asked me if I could start in 3 days. :lol: I'm sure it'll be the same for you.

Oh, and it always looks nice if you mention that you're available to work any day of the week and any shift. Good luck!

I worked in the restaurant industry for a while, and it is mostly just a check to make sure you are relatively warm and breathing.

It's not too bad, they just want to have an idea of what they have to work with and they'll probably be more forgiving since you haven't worked before. Should be pretty easy, just let them know you will actually show up and try to do a good job. That's the biggest thing in that industry, too many shit heads who don't show up or don't want to work.

Good Luck. Applebee's actually isn't that bad of a place to work in comparison to something like McDonald's.

act like you own the place and demand a company car ;)

haha j/k

but seriously... 1 PAGE for your resume please... no 2 pages... no 3 pages... no 1 1/2 pages... 1 FREAKING PAGE
k just read the post..

don't be creepy and sound like you're motivated to work there.

Leave your cell phone in the car or shut it off. Vibrate is not off.

Don't be late. Show up maybe 10-15 minutes ahead of time. However, showing up way too early should be avoided. You sitting around for an hour while your future manager feels rushed or has to rearrange his or her schedule to fit you in earlier can be just as annoying to that person as being late.

Come up with a list of questions about the job before you go. Go over the list a few times prior to going so you don't forget what they were when you're there. Asking questions about the job shows you're interested.

Let them stick it in your pooper or if they prefer, in theirs.:lol:

Seriously though, just be yourself and don't act as if your life depends on it. It's just for being a line cook at Applebee's so I wouldn't sweat it.

Well I just got back from the interview, they called me and asked if I could come it today, so I did. Well turns out that their manager made a slight math error. My birth date is 9/5/1997, so I'm 15. He thought I was 19. I got there and ended up waiting about 40 minutes because the manager had forgotten that he called me and set it up for today. Well we sat down and he said, "So you're 19." I said, "No I'm 15, did I put my date down wrong?" He looked at my application and said, "Oh crap, uhhh sorry man I made an error, you gotta be 16." Well I almost died in a tornado yesterday, and I waited today for a 30 second interview. Oh well, I'm not extremely mad about it, everyone makes errors, but I was so stoked that I got my first interview. I guess it's on to the next one and hope I get better results. Thanks for the help guys, I'll be sure to put these tips into play in the future.

You gotta be 16 to work a lot of places, farm work is about it for a 15 year old, maybe a grocery bagger. That all depends on the local and state laws, but here it was more of a pain in the ass to hire someone who was 15 rather than 16. Since Applebee's serves alcohol, you may have to be 18 to work there. Not sure on that, again it depends on your location.

You may have another grass cutting summer ahead of you man.

[quote name='burritoman']You gotta be 16 to work a lot of places, farm work is about it for a 15 year old, maybe a grocery bagger. That all depends on the local and state laws, but here it was more of a pain in the ass to hire someone who was 15 rather than 16. Since Applebee's serves alcohol, you may have to be 18 to work there. Not sure on that, again it depends on your location.

You may have another grass cutting summer ahead of you man.[/QUOTE]
That's kind of why I was surprised they actually called me since I wasn't 16 or 18. Man I'm sick of field work. I also have to detassle this year, I was hoping for a better job, but I guess this will do for now.

[quote name='confoosious']I commend you for at least looking for a job.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I'm trying to get money and references for future, higher paying jobs.

[quote name='blindinglights']Why 19 and not 18?[/QUOTE] What do you mean? He thought I was 19 from a math error.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you do get around to interviewing, keep in mind that its not just you interviewing for them, but they're interviewing for you. This can help psychologically for the interview, but can also help you avoid getting stuck in a job you regret.

seriously, if you remember one thing in the future...

1 page resume max unless you have a CV

Or significant skills
Or significant experience
Or ...

bread's done
Back