Do I need PS1 Memory card for Ps1 game on PS2?

Admiral Ackbar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I just piucked up FFT for the PS1 and started playing it on my PS2. But it won't save. I thought you could use a ps2 memory card for ps1 games on the ps2. Do I have to go out and pick up a PS1 memory card?

Once you get a PS1 save on a PS1 memory card you can copy it to a PS2 memory card, but it cant be used. Its good for backup or if your PS1 memory card is full, because you can always copy it back.

When I found this out for the first time I was SO PISSED OFF.

You would think that a mem card that looks exactly like the one for ps1 would be able to save its games.

The 'make money on every single piece of hardware' mentality of the console makers really pisses me off. At least you can play ps1 games.

I can kinda see that, but honestly, who's going to have any/many PS1 games without having at least 1 PS1 mem card? They are different pieces of hardware/accessory; the PS1 card has only 15 blocks, whereas the PS2 card is 8 MB, which seems to be a lot bigger in terms of storage space.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']I just piucked up FFT for the PS1 and started playing it on my PS2. But it won't save. I thought you could use a ps2 memory card for ps1 games on the ps2. Do I have to go out and pick up a PS1 memory card?[/quote]

yup

[quote name='dtcarson']I can kinda see that, but honestly, who's going to have any/many PS1 games without having at least 1 PS1 mem card? They are different pieces of hardware/accessory; the PS1 card has only 15 blocks, whereas the PS2 card is 8 MB, which seems to be a lot bigger in terms of storage space.[/quote]

I'm sure there are many people who never had the Playstation and when they bought the PS2 they got some Playststion games to take advantage of the PS2's already "extensive collection of games!!!!...."

[quote name='Scrubking']When I found this out for the first time I was SO PISSED OFF.

You would think that a mem card that looks exactly like the one for ps1 would be able to save its games.

The 'make money on every single piece of hardware' mentality of the console makers really pisses me off. At least you can play ps1 games.[/quote]

It's not that. Doing this was basically THE ONLY WAY TO ENSURE BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY.

Sony's really the first company to do this (the Atari consoles were different and never saved anything anyway). Instead of thanking them, you assume a conspiracy.

Sega couldn't even get memory cards right on the Dreamcast (some games not compatible with some memory cards and may cause them to be reformatted- yay).

BTW:

Datel Memory Card 3 Pack - $9 shipped free at best buy

I wish Sony would have made a bigger PS1 memory card. I am up to 5 memory cards (I had a 24X Interact card before I got the Sony cards but it erased all my game saves and needless to say, from that point on, I never used a 3rd party card again)

3rd party memory cards = evil

Only buy third party cards if you don't mind losing hours of gameplay.

The worst part about PSOne saves is that some games take only one block (that's good), some take an assload of blocks. Discworld takes between 6-9 blocks, and Wing Commander III takes 9 blocks.

[quote name='eldad9'][quote name='Scrubking']When I found this out for the first time I was SO PISSED OFF.

The 'make money on every single piece of hardware' mentality of the console makers really pisses me off. At least you can play ps1 games.[/quote]

It's not that. Doing this was basically THE ONLY WAY TO ENSURE BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY. [/quote]

Where is the proof for this?

Instead of thanking them, you assume a conspiracy.

I never said anything about a conspiracy :roll:

And if you think they don't want to capitalize on every piece of hardware then you are a fool.

[quote name='metroidkiller9']you can load from a ps1 mem card on ps2, you just cant save.[/quote]

Wrong, you can load and save using a PS1 mem card from a PS2 as long as it's a PS1 game.

[quote name='Supernothing'][quote name='metroidkiller9']you can load from a ps1 mem card on ps2, you just cant save.[/quote]

Wrong, you can load and save using a PS1 mem card from a PS2 as long as it's a PS1 game.[/quote]

oh sorry. i meant to say you can load a ps1 file from a ps2 memory card you just cant save it.

The reason that you need the different memory cards is plain and simple, and can be summed up in one word, ARCHITECTURE. The architecture of a PS1 game looks for the corresponding hardware for a memory card to save to.

There is no EASY way around this problem (yes, I said easy, because it may be able to be circumvented, but would likely drain the system resources to do so). To do so, there would have to be some type of emulation within a ROM on the motherboard for when a load/save function is called from a PS1 game, and emulation takes away cycles, and you should see where this is going.

Another point is that the method of PS1 saves only to a PS1 memory card preserves the portability of the game save. A save on a PS1 card can be used not only on all PS2 units, but all PS1 units as well. A save on a PS2 card would restrict the read to only PS2 machines.

Hopefully this clears things up for you guys (and gals).

bread's done
Back