will you play a scary or creepy video game ?

Alex121006

CAGiversary!
im kind of a chicken when it comes to scary or even creepy games. i know most people dont mind playing a dark or creepy game, but is there any body out there that wont touch a game like that ? i bought bio shock infinite and i dont know why, ill probley never play it. im even playing the new tomb raider right now, (love it) its not scary at all, but going in the dark tombs is a little creepy. i know some people will say the same about dead space and resident evil games.
so any body else out there that gets a little scared of dark/creepy games ?

I have a friend that won't go near games that are even remotely scary. Like you, he's deprived himself the brilliance of BioShock. I wouldn't feel bad about being adverse to these types of games, though; videogames are much more engrossing than, say, movies. Unlike movies, it's you turning that dark corner; it's you opening that ominous door; it's you the monsters are after -- not some actor on a screen. It's nothing to be ashamed of. A lot of games are cheap with their scares, anyway. It's no accomplishment to make a player feel fear.

Most recently, I almost didn't finish the game Condemned because it was so damn stressful. It's a first-person horror game with primarily melee combat. You spend the majority of the game creeping through abandoned buildings inhabited by all sorts of crazies just looking to bash your head open. They come at you from all over (especially from behind), and it's all just too much. The combat's pretty fun, but it's really just not worth the stress. I'd be lying if I said it hasn't given me nightmares.

I dunno about scary but I always got a little startled playing Friday the 13th on NES.

That damn house... Left turn, right turn, left turn, left turn, BAM! "sup, I'm Jason" ahhh!

[quote name='Dr0p119']I dunno about scary but I always got a little startled playing Friday the 13th on NES.

That damn house... Left turn, right turn, left turn, left turn, BAM! "sup, I'm Jason" ahhh![/QUOTE]

Hahaha oh hell yeah, and that sound/music that would come on when he'd appear. Resident Evil was a blind buy first game I got when I picked up my PS1, had no real idea what I was in for. That was definitely an intense and awesome choice though.

Just force yourself to play them, you'll grow accustomed. Everyone get's scared, that's the point, you just have to enjoy the thrill.

Haven't been scared by any games in quite some time, but I do get nightmares from them sometime. I think that's more or less because of my own issues, though.

I do have quite a few friends that are very easily scared of horror games. Hell, I even have one that finds BioShock and Alan Wake to be the scariest games she has ever seen in her life.

When I was around 14/15 I hated scary games but have long since started to enjoy them. Especially games like Corpse Party that are not really sccary but have really tense atmospheres.

I think you should give Bioshock Infinite a try, it never really has any scary moments; it does have a really good story though. Compared to the original game Infinite is very calm and very bright.

[quote name='karkyco']Hahaha oh hell yeah, and that sound/music that would come on when he'd appear. Resident Evil was a blind buy first game I got when I picked up my PS1, had no real idea what I was in for. That was definitely an intense and awesome choice though.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, I actually had that music stuck in my head. Swish then hard keys lol.

I'll play any horror/creepy game with no hesitation but then all of a sudden I'll be playing some western RPG and giant spiders will pop out of nowhere and make me enter a coma of terror.  :bouncy:

Last edited by a moderator:
I never found Dead Space to be scary,it was all just cheap scares that were easy to spot. More people should check out Cry of Fear if thry want a horror game that is actually scary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just like watching a horror / slasher flick, games of similar content are awesome to play with at least one other person (even if it's a single player game).  Resident Evil on the PS1 semi co-op (we'd swap the control from time to time) with my brother was great.  Even better now with my wife, she just enjoys watching more than playing a RE or Silent Hill game, means I don't have to hand off the controller.

The scariest game I've ever played is 999/VLR, which on the extremely light side of scary games.  More suspense/mystery than scary. Scary games/movies are not my thing

I'm almost ahamed to admit that I played Condemned Criminal Origins with the brightness on my monitor set to max. I didn't want to get scared. :rofl:

When I was in high school, me and a couple of girlfriends would play resident evil and silent hill on ps1. In the dark! It would scare the hell out of us. It doesn't help when one person is startled, that triggers a domino effect.

Alan wake gave me the heebie jeebies. I don't sleep much, so I stay up late playing games. My boyfriend at the time was a light sleeper. I played it at night with the sound almost completely off. I finished it and I sent it right back to Gamefly without even looking at the achievements.

Eh the last game I remember giving me a genuine scare was the original resident evil where the dogs jumped through the window because that was so new at the time. Otherwise at best I usually find scary games entertaining, but not scary, and usually just hilariously awful at trying to be scary (I'm looking at you entire Silent Hill series).

bread's done
Back