XONE - Killer Instict - F2P Character Rotation Each Month - Fulgore 4/9!

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
http://youtu.be/N8mnIsz293E​

First the bad news...not developed by RARE WTF!?

Secondly, it looks like it might be Free To Play:

Day One Xbox Live Gold 12 month membership:
Available in limited quantities at select retailers while supplies last. Includes Shadow Jago character for Killer Instinct, for use only with Xbox One; both expected to be released in November 2013. Additional Killer Instinct characters sold separately; requires 4 GB storage, for download only on Xbox One. Shadow Jago available exclusively with Day One Xbox Live Gold until February 1, 2014; may be available elsewhere later.
Confirmed F2P:

The game, in development at Double Helix Games, will include a single playable character, Jago, at launch, and will require players to purchase additional characters to unlock the remainder of Killer Instinct's roster.

"Most fighting games that come out are disc based games where you get a huge cast of awesome characters, but it is a massive cast," Rettig told Polygon. "Some games have anywhere between 30, 40, even 50 characters. And in reality, most players don't play that many characters. You just only have so much time to get good at so many characters. So we wanted to take that into consideration and release the game in a way that took that into consideration and allowed players to get in and play the game at the level that they want to play it.

"So the way this game will work is when it releases, you'll be able to play one character for free," he added. "You'll be able to just download the client and play that character — Jago — as much as you want. And you will be able to buy other characters and other content as you see fit. So as much or as little as you want. We wanted there to be basically a wide funnel. We wanted as many players to get in and enjoy the game and experience the game as possible, and to engage in it at a level that they want to engage at."

No matter what characters they own, players will still be able to fight against the whole rostere online, which Microsoft hopes will inspire players to pick up the characters they enjoy sparring with. Rettig also said that the team at Double Helix "want to release the content is we want to release characters at a regular cadence," and will continue to add new characters to the game "as long as players are interested."
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/11/4420388/killer-instinct-to-be-a-free-xbox-one-launch-title-comes-with-one

Killer Instinct is on the way from Microsoft's Rare studio. The update to the classic arcade/SNES/N64 fighter will be released exclusively on Xbox One. A brief video revealed returning fighters and teased a 2013 release.

Coinciding with the new fighter, a new Xbox One Mad Catz Tournament Edition Fightstick will be available. Your Xbox 360 sticks won't work, remember.

Update: Double Helix is developing the new Killer Instinct. Weird!
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/10/killer-instinct-revealed-for-xbox-one/

Direct link to trailer here:
http://www.viddler.com/v/58532876?secret=56373030

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rare that most people love died with the N64.  People come and go and who knows how many of the people from the original KI era are even still employed there.  KI is my most beloved fighting franchise, I loved 1 and 2(though 1 was better, IMO).  As long as Fulgore, Jago and Orchid are back, and you can easily link combos, I will be there.   

Rare said before they wanted to make new ip's

That would be my guess as to why Killer Instinct wasn't developed by them.

At least we are getting a new Killer Instinct if its good or not is the besides the point.

Now if they would give us a new battletoads game that would be great.

Hell yeah, dude!  I have to be honest, if this didn't have the title "Killer Instinct" I probably wouldn't care.  But it does.  And that makes me have to purchase it.  Awesome to see this series come back!

The good news is a new Killer Instinct game is happening! The bad news is a new Killer Instinct game is happening! I Don't see how this game can turn out good, even if Rare was the one making it they've just gone on to make pretty meh games, but seeing who the developer is to take over...Jesus, now I definitely have no hope. I'd love to be surprised, but I have very little hope in this running on anything, but nostalgia.

Killer Instinct is my kryptonite - if they would've somehow also had an update for Primal Rage I would've probably just put my wallet in the mail and sent it to them.  As it stands, I'll have to wait until the dust settles as I can't justify an Xbox One for one game.

On September 17, 2012, Microsoft applied for renewal of the Killer Instinct trademark.[6] In an October 2012 interview, Rare veteran Lee Musgrave, who was the former head of art at Rare, spoke on the issues of making Killer Instinct for XBLA: "We came close to firing off a conversion of Killer Instinct a few times, but there were licensing obstacles to that, and it never really had enough perceived interest to push it forward."[7] On December 4, 2012, Microsoft's renewal for the Killer Instinct trademark was rejected by the United States Patent and Trademark Office due to the possibility of the game being confused with the unrelated TV series of the same name that lasted for one season in 2005.[8][9] Microsoft had six months to respond to the ruling.[10][11] The trademark dispute was settled when Microsoft and Fox reached an agreement in April 2013.[12][13]
Wow, I had no idea there was such a problem with the rights to Killer Instinct. Should be interesting to see how the F2P model goes. Tekken also put out, just recently in fact, a F2P game called Tekken:Revolution.

I never got to play Killer Instinct but lol anyone else remember the scene shown on the Donkey Kong Country VHS, yes really they mailed this out, where they're playing KI in the end behind closed doors?

I never got to play Killer Instinct but lol anyone else remember the scene shown on the Donkey Kong Country VHS, yes really they mailed this out, where they're playing KI in the end behind closed doors?
Ha! Yeah, I remember that thing. Heck I might still have that VHS. I have a crazy collection of video game marketing material like pamphlets, posters, mailers, etc.

It's only partially F2P then, because only Jago is available. So if you want to play with more characters (I like to play as at least 12 characters in a fighting game), then you have to pay. Granted, you don't pay full price for the game, but if there are 40 characters you could end paying more than full price depending of the pricetag of the characters (I guess the minimum will be 160MSP like Guardians of the Middle-earth).

Either way I won't get a X1 unless they undo that DRM riddled thing, and Kinect vigilance.

"Most fighting games that come out are disc based games where you get a huge cast of awesome characters, but it is a massive cast," Rettig told Polygon. "Some games have anywhere between 30, 40, even 50 characters. And in reality, most players don't play that many characters. You just only have so much time to get good at so many characters. So we wanted to take that into consideration and release the game in a way that took that into consideration and allowed players to get in and play the game at the level that they want to play it.

"So the way this game will work is when it releases, you'll be able to play one character for free," he added. "You'll be able to just download the client and play that character — Jago — as much as you want. And you will be able to buy other characters and other content as you see fit. So as much or as little as you want. We wanted there to be basically a wide funnel. We wanted as many players to get in and enjoy the game and experience the game as possible, and to engage in it at a level that they want to engage at."

No matter what characters they own, players will still be able to fight against the whole rostere online, which Microsoft hopes will inspire players to pick up the characters they enjoy sparring with. Rettig also said that the team at Double Helix "want to release the content is we want to release characters at a regular cadence," and will continue to add new characters to the game "as long as players are interested."
Translation: There is a glut of awesome fighters and this is the only way we know how to set the game apart.

I'm sure Cinder is in there. More characters to be revealed at EVO.
I expect there will be all the original characters plus other new ones. But to pay for every character you want to play... I don't like that. I always like to have all the roster of characters available in my fighting games.

I expect there will be all the original characters plus other new ones. But to pay for every character you want to play... I don't like that. I always like to have all the roster of characters available in my fighting games.
You have the option to buy the whole game at launch. You also have the option to buy one-off characters if u want. There will also be that special edition, but the contents are unknown. I wonder I'd there will be retail versions or if it will be download only.

Looking forward to playing this game. I never really got into KI, but I remember playing it on Snes when I was a lil' guy...

Free to Play? $20 for special unlocks, $30 for Extra Fighting scenes, $10 for different skins, $20 for extra power ups and fighters? Its going to be exactly like this..even though im not getting the Xbone, hope its not one of those games where the player who spends the most has the upper advantage..

You have the option to buy the whole game at launch. You also have the option to buy one-off characters if u want. There will also be that special edition, but the contents are unknown. I wonder I'd there will be retail versions or if it will be download only.
Ah, that's great to know. The best will be to get the special edition, I guess. Then, the F2P part of the game is like.... playing a demo with only 1 character.

They probably would have been better off listing it as a demo, with option to buy the full game or partials.  When people see free to play it gets them upset when you have to buy big portions of the game.  I guess as they say, thems the breaks.

Ah, that's great to know. The best will be to get the special edition, I guess. Then, the F2P part of the game is like.... playing a demo with only 1 character.
Exactly. That's the idea of the demo and I really do like it. It's easy for people to pile on the hate wagon, but I like this model. It seems pretty flexible and inviting for those who don't want the whole game.....or a straight up option for those who want a traditional game purchase, like you and me. :)

Pretty much how they classify Pinball FX 2 as a free title, um tables are just demos but with that game it acts as a type of platform.

Pretty much how they classify Pinball FX 2 as a free title, um tables are just demos but with that game it acts as a type of platform.
Yeah, a free title. Pinball FX2 is the arcade game in which I've spent more MSP ever :twoguns: :rofl:

Exactly. That's the idea of the demo and I really do like it. It's easy for people to pile on the hate wagon, but I like this model. It seems pretty flexible and inviting for those who don't want the whole game.....or a straight up option for those who want a traditional game purchase, like you and me. :)
Yes, as long as a traditional purchase is out, it's fine with me too :D A whole playable demo (you can beat the whole game) is nice for people that are unsure if they'll like it or not, as Spybreak8 said, but for us would be undoubtely more expensive to get all the characters one by one than the complete game ;)

You know, Spy, that is a perfect analogy, comparing KI to Pinball FX2. The lead from double helix said they want KI to be a platform.

Free with one character to start with and I only have to buy the characters I really want and none of the lame ones I don't. Talk about "first world problems"!

Free with one character to start with and I only have to buy the characters I really want and none of the lame ones I don't. Talk about "first world problems"!
I'm an old fart, but back in the day, KI was a $69.99 cartridge. Adjusted for inflation, that's probably what, $90-110 today?

I'm interested in this version. Glad I get a free character to try it out with before committing to purchasing any more.

Nintendo needs to remaster Killer Instinct Gold N64 for my 3DS in 3D. If they can make Zelda OoT 3ds, they canmake this.

Except it wouldn't be Nintendo doing the game. I don't think Rare has done any portable games since Diddy Kong Racing DS, so I doubt they want to do it (though fighters have dried up since the early launch lineup). And it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft added a clause that wouldn't allow Rare to develop for a non-Microsoft console.

I am pretty excited for launch. Although the gameplay does look a little SSF4 for me, I have been waiting for some kind of rise from the grave with this title for awhile. 

Just got an email that I am getting all characters unlocked for free.

You're a fan of us and we're a fan of you.
We want to show you our appreciation, so we're giving you:

KILLER INSTINCT

We've unlocked all characters so you can hit the ground running.

Watch your inbox on November 22 for instructions on how to claim your free gift.

Don't worry, we'll remind you.

We wouldn't be here without you,
and we know you'll do amazing
things on Xbox One.
Thank you from Xbox Live.
Jump ahead.

Just got an email that I am getting all characters unlocked for free.

You're a fan of us and we're a fan of you.
We want to show you our appreciation, so we're giving you:

KILLER INSTINCT

We've unlocked all characters so you can hit the ground running.

Watch your inbox on November 22 for instructions on how to claim your free gift.

Don't worry, we'll remind you.

We wouldn't be here without you,
and we know you'll do amazing
things on Xbox One.
Thank you from Xbox Live.
Jump ahead.
Got the same exact thing.

Why are these emails coming out? I mean are they random? I'm an ambassador and a rewards club member andI've liked them on fb and a xbl member for 4-5 years and no email... Did you guys preorder from the ms store?

024266.jpg

bread's done
Back