Destiny Discussion Thread - Fear The Moon Wizards on September 9th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Bungie, the highly acclaimed developer of Myth, Oni, Marathon, oh, and Halo, is back for a "next generation" experience that should be available on PS4, PS3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360. This is the discussion thread for all things Destiny.

Here's the world premier gameplay trailer for Destiny

Here's a twelve minute gameplay demo, shown at the Sony press conference.

And last of all, here's the (Jungle Book) Destiny Story trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS1BM9XRgvw

I have to admit, I am pretty excited to see this. The gameplay at the Sony Presser really impressed me. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been watching this game for a while so that demo was actually kinda not as great as I was hoping. For one they ran into technical issues and then they showcased pitch black tunnels. It wasn't until you really got like 5 or 6 minutes into the demo gameplay until you got a feel of what this game would be like. I like the Borderlands and Guild Wars 2 vibe.

Woah, this thread still exists lol.

Figured this would pop up here.

http://youtu.be/LeDaevD7cEo

Like what I said on Youtube, I really wanted to like this but I left the video going meh. It just feels "flat", apparently this is just a little side mission but I only found that out with researching the fact after watching the video (production value is top notch though). It's probably way different playing it yourself and with buddies but yeah not necessarily a game to be watched. Then again I used to play MMOs a lot; Lineage II, Earth & Beyond, Auto Assault, Guild Wars 1 and 2 but I've felt most gameplay from MMOs unsatisfying compared to the immersive and compelling single player triple A titles, quirky and fun downloadable titles and epic sprawling multiplayer titans that you can loose hours into. Eh, it's still too early to tell imo.

Did anyone watch the gameplay video on the Xbox 360 Dashboard?  It looks...well, it just looks boring.  Maybe it was because I was watching people play it, but there just didn't seem to be much to it.  The enemies seemed to just stand still while being shot at.  The Covenant ran and would dive in combat, and would even shoot while moving.  These enemies seem to freeze, and even when grenades were thrown at them, in their path, they would just stand still (or, if they were in motion, keep moving at the same rate rather than flee from it).

I'm curious as to whether the parts where the camera goes 'cinematic' were actually custom designs for the video sake, or if they're actual loading spaces.  It seemed to frequently occur when the level or setting changed, which is why I thought it might be a loading 'video' that happens when you move to the next room or space. 

I still want to play the demo/beta, and maybe these are just really easy enemies that you face at the start, but it just seemed off.  It looked like a hybrid of Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, with the species and abilities, with Bulletstorm's gunplay.  That seems like it should be fun, but it just looked flat.  I still hope it offers more than 3 players at a time.

And they fooled me with the video, since it starts with it saying "Press A to Start."  I hit A, thinking it might actually be some unexpected demo, and it paused the video. 

I have a lot of hope for this game being a huge MMO player for years now. It also looks like it mixes an MMO with Borderlands style gameplay and Borderlands is a great series to borrow from.

Did anyone watch the gameplay video on the Xbox 360 Dashboard? It looks...well, it just looks boring.

I still want to play the demo/beta, and maybe these are just really easy enemies that you face at the start, but it just seemed off. It looked like a hybrid of Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, with the species and abilities, with Bulletstorm's gunplay. That seems like it should be fun, but it just looked flat. I still hope it offers more than 3 players at a time.

And they fooled me with the video, since it starts with it saying "Press A to Start." I hit A, thinking it might actually be some unexpected demo, and it paused the video.
Yeah they released the video on their official channels and whatnot before it hit the dashdboard. That's exactly how I felt while watching it. I also gave it another shot watching it on my 360 but it still felt flat. It's like it wants to do what other games did but not realizing why those other games are awesome and what they did that made them stand out so much. Then there's this whole they want to create Destiny in a 10 year contract thing with Activision. Lol, at this point I've not found myself overally blown away and I'm a big Halo fan too (most of the game can be seen as a newly skinned or modded Halo imo).

Special editions announced.  Not sure if the Expansion Pass is supposed to be like a Season Pass, or if it's just specific to those two pieces of DLC.

Limited Edition

Picture of Ltd Edition

918Ts0fkBfL._SL1500_.jpg
        -Limited Edition SteelBook™ Case and Game Disc
        -Guardian Folio, containing:
            -“Arms and Armament” Field Guide: Many believe the weapons and armor featured in this record are a myth. You will learn the truth.
            -Postcards from the Golden Age: Our worlds have been claimed by our enemies. Now, it’s time to take them back.
            -Antique Star Chart: Explore the wild frontiers of our solar system. Discover all that we have lost.
        -Collector’s Edition Digital Content: The City has provided you with a cache of items to start you on your journey, including:
            -A Unique Ghost Casing
            -An Exclusive Player Emblem
            -An Exclusive Player Ship Skin
        -Includes the Destiny Expansion Pass*

Ghost Edition -- (not liking that they called this "Ghost" as it brings back horrible memories of CoD: Ghosts...)
Picture of Ghost Edition
91RlSY2Wv5L._SL1500_.jpg
        -Ghost Replica: This is your motion-sensing Ghost, featuring lights and audio from the game. May it lead you through the Darkness.
        -Letter of Introduction: These worlds were once ours. If you accept your destiny, you will be asked to do the impossible.
        -Golden Age Relics, which include a Patch, Sticker, and two Chrome slides of the Traveler
            -“Arms and Armament” Field Guide: Many believe the weapons and armor featured in this record are a myth. -You will learn the truth.
            -Postcards from the Golden Age: Our worlds have been claimed by our enemies. Now, it’s time to take them back.
            -Antique Star Chart: Explore the wild frontiers of our solar system. Discover all that we have lost.
        -Collector’s Edition Digital Content: The City has also provided you with a cache of items to start you on your journey, including:
            -A Unique Ghost Casing

Digital Guardian Edition -- (not exactly sure what this is...)
        -Digital Download of Destiny
        -Early access to Vanguard Armory and Player Emblem pre-order bonus
        -Reservation for two upcoming Destiny Expansions, “The Dark Below” and “House of Wolves,” featuring:
            -Brand new story missions
            -Cooperative and competitive multiplayer arenas
            -A wealth of all new weapons, armor, and gear to earn
        -Collector’s Edition Digital Content: The City has also provided you with a cache of items to start you on your journey, including:
            -A Unique Ghost Casing

Special editions announced. Not sure if the Expansion Pass is supposed to be like a Season Pass, or if it's just specific to those two pieces of DLC.

Limited Edition

Picture of Ltd Edition

918Ts0fkBfL._SL1500_.jpg
-“Arms and Armament” Field Guide: Many believe the weapons and armor featured in this record are a myth. You will learn the truth.
-Collector’s Edition Digital Content: The City has provided you with a cache of items to start you on your journey, including:
-A Unique Ghost Casing

Ghost Edition -- (not liking that they called this "Ghost" as it brings back horrible memories of CoD: Ghosts...)
Picture of Ghost Edition
91RlSY2Wv5L._SL1500_.jpg
-Ghost Replica: This is your motion-sensing Ghost, featuring lights and audio from the game. May it lead you through the Darkness.
-Letter of Introduction: These worlds were once ours. If you accept your destiny, you will be asked to do the impossible.
-Golden Age Relics, which include a Patch, Sticker, and two Chrome slides of the Traveler
-“Arms and Armament” Field Guide: Many believe the weapons and armor featured in this record are a myth. -You will learn the truth.
-A Unique Ghost Casing

Digital Guardian Edition -- (not exactly sure what this is...)
-Digital Download of Destiny
-Early access to Vanguard Armory and Player Emblem pre-order bonus
-Reservation for two upcoming Destiny Expansions, “The Dark Below” and “House of Wolves,” featuring:
-Brand new story missions
-Cooperative and competitive multiplayer arenas
-A wealth of all new weapons, armor, and gear to earn
-A Unique Ghost Casing
i think the digital guardian edition is basically an collectors value edition in all digital format.

The bottom line is that if I buy the Collectors Edition, I can have Miles Finch talk to me when I enter my game room. 

Miles_Finch.jpg

There is no dollar value that you can put on that level of awesome. 

Think it's about time Microsoft lights a match under their asses and they start offering Xbox One digital preorders. Sony's online store has already been updated with the new Digital Edition but alas you still can't preorder games off the Xbox One store.

Think it's about time Microsoft lights a match under their asses and they start offering Xbox One digital preorders. Sony's online store has already been updated with the new Digital Edition but alas you still can't preorder games off the Xbox One store.
I know they have said it is coming, but this would be a great game to start considering it has a special edition (or however you want to word it) being offered digitally. I know that's the one I will be picking up and I would love to be able to queue it up so it is ready to go right away.

FYI I received the email to choose platform today so might want to update your profiles at Bungie.

Even better news is the Destiny page states you'll receive 3 beta codes "Enough to fill a full fireteam" which means you'll get a code for you and two friends.

This is pretty awesome.  I preordered for Xbox One and Best Buy sent me the beta code immediately after.  I redeemed on Bungie today.  Says it will give 3 codes!  Well that's awesome.

What is better than that?  It let's you choose platform.  That's right, the beta key from the store can be used for any version of the game.  Seeing as to how I'm not getting an Xbox One or PS4 until later in the year, I redeemed for 360.  Going to try the game on 360, then get the game later for Xbox One or Ps4 (depending on how they size up and what friend's buy for consoles)

Is it even worth buying this game on PS3/360? I can't bring myself to buy a new console just because the hardware is so lacking for a "next gen console" and everything is multi platform anyway, but if Destiny is that good I could justify it. I feel like I'll end up disappointed with this game and then even more so if I bought a new console for it. From watching the videos and reading about Destiny, all I get is that it's a reskinned Borderlands, which was fun but not warranting a new console purchase and Borderlands 2 I played on the PC where BL 1 I played on 360. The multiplayer looks cool, but also exactly like Halo.

Then factor in all the drama with Bungie giving PS4 users longer Beta time and all that, makes me feel like I'll be real disappointed if I kept up with the Xbox brand instead of getting a PS4.

Is it even worth buying this game on PS3/360? I can't bring myself to buy a new console just because the hardware is so lacking for a "next gen console" and everything is multi platform anyway, but if Destiny is that good I could justify it. I feel like I'll end up disappointed with this game and then even more so if I bought a new console for it. From watching the videos and reading about Destiny, all I get is that it's a reskinned Borderlands, which was fun but not warranting a new console purchase and Borderlands 2 I played on the PC where BL 1 I played on 360. The multiplayer looks cool, but also exactly like Halo.

Then factor in all the drama with Bungie giving PS4 users longer Beta time and all that, makes me feel like I'll be real disappointed if I kept up with the Xbox brand instead of getting a PS4.
Probably not worth getting on Xbox 360 or PS3 at this point. I mean, you'll probably get the best gameplay from the Xbox One and PS4, so I say go for new gen instead. But that's how I feel about it.

Probably not worth getting on Xbox 360 or PS3 at this point. I mean, you'll probably get the best gameplay from the Xbox One and PS4, so I say go for new gen instead. But that's how I feel about it.
Yeah I agree with you, but then it boils down once again to the usual PS4 or XBone, and that argument is still raging on....I'm still afraid of it turning into Borderlands, where once you beat the core game, there's not much else to do.

[quote name="hustletron" post="11928343" timestamp="1405486151"]Yeah I agree with you, but then it boils down once again to the usual PS4 or XBone, and that argument is still raging on....I'm still afraid of it turning into Borderlands, where once you beat the core game, there's not much else to do.[/quote]
Well, it does have competitive multiplayer. So that adds some replayability. Personally I enjoyed replaying co op in Borderlands so I'm sure it wouldn't bother me here.

I have an extra BETA code if anyone wants it. PM if interested.

Never mind.....someone snagged it.

It's pretty sad how quiet this thread is.  I feel like we're handing the game over to the Sony crowd.  Anyone interested in a CAG Destiny Clan? 

Things will liven up once all we lowly Xbox owners get our shot at the beta.
While I do agree, you'd think there would be more excitement as well. Myself, I'm on the fence. Not because I don't expect it to be good, but I'm more into competitve multiplayer than co-op. I am awaiting for the beta so we'll see if I become swayed one way or the other.

I played the PS3 beta for a few minutes and it was very impressive. I will be playing it on xbox one this week.

Anyone else going to be playing this on 360? I'm pumped for the beta but I'm a bit worried that the last-gen version is going to be a ghost town. It sucks that it's not cross-platform across 360 and One.

Anyone else going to be playing this on 360? I'm pumped for the beta but I'm a bit worried that the last-gen version is going to be a ghost town. It sucks that it's not cross-platform across 360 and One.
even thought i am not planning to get this game, but i highly doubt it will be a ghost town.

Well, Ryuu, if Titanfall is any indication...the 360 can still hold its own when compared to a current gen sibling.  Gods bless that system.

Three codes below if anybody wants one. Would appreciate if you can just post if it's redeemed so I can mark it.

DY9QG-CXM3P-4XG3R-2CK2J-FMTHZ
2DKC4-KQ6FD-PGGDH-Y6Y9G-YXPGZ
CDW9X-4YTH9-3WTW9-WPJ9Q-XK49Z

BTW, still waiting for my e-mail from the Microsoft Store for the beta, I was assured that it was "On its way". If it ever shows up, I'll pay it forward and post codes here.

Very cool game, but I felt like I was playing most of it alone... Do you have to manually group up to do the "Darkness Zones" as a fireteam? Or is there any kind of automated matchmaking?

Here are two free codes if anyone wants one.  Please let us know if you use one, or both.

MYY4M-3H9DK-FDQT9-XQMT7-73JFZ
MDHQY-DJ2K7-K7QK7-GHM39-9YDMZ

Here are two codes for the Xbox One:

6WGV7-HXP6W-TKYTH-9H7TP-DT3WZ
J22HQ-RDD7X-JH776-JWD7K-TYX3Z

I put in about 90 minutes and got to level 3.  Very different experience for me, as I don't play MMO's or anything like that.  I'm really digging it so far.  The combat is tight and the story is interesting.  The music is simply amazing, it's epic and majestic.  Beautiful stuff. 

The beta is just under 13 gb's for those wondering.

Here are two codes for the Xbox One:

I put in about 90 minutes and got to level 3. Very different experience for me, as I don't play MMO's or anything like that. I'm really digging it so far. The combat is tight and the story is interesting. The music is simply amazing, it's epic and majestic. Beautiful stuff.

The beta is just under 13 gb's for those wondering.

Nabbed this one, thank you!

Having fun so far.  I know no one from Bungie is probably reading this, but my suggestions:

- Wish they would shorten the amount of time you have to hold down certain buttons.  Like, do I really have to hold Y for so long in order to exit out of the end-of-mission summary screen?

- I also wish they had moved the minimap to the lower left corner.  For some reason I found it tiring to scan my eyes up to it.

- I don't like how if you're trying to get your objective marker and hit the back button, 1) it doesn't tell you the distance to your mission objective marker, and 2) you have to hit B to back out of that.  I think tapping the back button should show you the objective marker for a few seconds.  Holding the back button should give you the menu options to go into orbit or spawn your sparrow.

Like I said though, very fun so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back