Super Mario 3D World

Erad30

CAGiversary!
I think this looks incredibly fun. Just annoyed I have to wait til December...

[youtube]http://youtu.be/P9OMm7rfz98[/youtube]

I love that the characters actually have different abilities. Though if I remember correctly in SMB2 Toad's advantage was strength not speed. Everyone else is the same as they were in that game.

This will make me buy a wiiu sooner than planned ( trying to hold out til holiday season 2014). Not a deal breaker , but any word on online multiplayer?

I love that the characters actually have different abilities. Though if I remember correctly in SMB2 Toad's advantage was strength not speed. Everyone else is the same as they were in that game.
I think Toad was able to pull up vegetables fastest.

Sweet, looks like you are able to control the camera with the right analog stick while playing single player.  :D

It's going to be fun trying out the different characters throughout the levels with their different abilities.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I got to spend about 10 min playing this game yesterday at Nintendo Experience at Best Buy. It was such a blast! and will be fun to play by myself as well as with my nieces and nephew. I was paired up with 3 kids under the age of 10 and it was a lot more group friendly for young kids than Super Mario Bros U. This is a big plus in my book because the kids love to play Mario but the older ones can get quite frustrated with the youngest (She is 4 and hasn't quite mastered the wiimote as a regular controller yet)  3D world is a lot more forgiving in a group setting.

The cat costume is so much fun and very easy to use. I love being able to climb up walls!

All I have to say to Nintendo is take my $$$$ I want this game now =)

Damn. Not surprised one bit but if Nintendo took all their MP games online it would be so awesome....

Super Mario 3D World won’t have online multiplayer
June 15th, 2013 Posted in News, Posted by Brian, Wii U

Super Mario 3D World is the first 3D Mario game to offer four-player multiplayer. Gamers will be able to play as one of four characters, each with their own unique traits: Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad.

Unfortunately, Super Mario 3D World’s multiplayer will be limited to local play only. Nintendo has confirmed that you won’t be able to go online and continue the experience with others.

Director Koichi Hayashida and producer Yoshiaki Koizumi commented on the decision to not include online while speaking with TIME. Their main response was that Nintendo is focusing on seeing the other players around you. You can find Hayashida and Koizumi’s complete comments below.

Mr. Hayashida: I think that we’ve always wanted to focus on being able to see the other players around you. I always thought that was fun.

Mr. Koizumi: The first Super Mario Bros. on the Nintendo Entertainment System had two controllers, so you could play multiplayer with someone right next to you. I think that we wanted to accomplish the same kind of feeling in a 3D Mario game for the first time.

Mr. Hayashida: I’ve always really enjoyed playing games with my children. In Super Mario Galaxy, we had the “assist play mode” that was available, but this is the first time that we’ve implemented a real multiplayer where the second player is moving a character around on screen in a 3D Mario game. And so I’m really happily looking forward to the experience of playing that with my kids.

Mr. Koizumi: And now that Peach has been included, I’m also hoping that people will be able to play the game with their girlfriends. Perhaps some of their girlfriends will find Peach as a more appealing character to play – or your wife, of course.

Source

Is it just me or does that last line sound fairly sexist? Granted my wife didn't play video games til I met her 5 years ago but she's at least sort of core now, she's spent the last week playing Skyrim a good portion of the day.

Is it just me or does that last line sound fairly sexist? Granted my wife didn't play video games til I met her 5 years ago but she's at least sort of core now, she's spent the last week playing Skyrim a good portion of the day.
It's not just you. Nintendo has a horrible time dealing with Peach outside of her normal damsel-in-distress role, so I guess they just assumed that girls/women would like her since she's in a dress or whatever.

My older daughter loves Peach but my younger daughter always wants to be Mario or Luigi, FWIW.

I played the BB demo... it was as about as fun as the length of the demo.  I can't see myself choosing to spend my gaming time playing this, let alone paying to do so.  I LOVED Super Mario 3D Land, it was quirky, different, and fit perfect on the portable system.  This, however, as our console 3D Mario just seems weak. 

Was about to post the no multiplayer link but its been posted already, cant say im shocked nintendo always takes 1 step forward 2 steps back and are always 5 years behind so this isnt too surprising.

Well it has local multiplayer. I guess no Internet multiplayer. That is not a big deal to me, but if you have no one local to play it with then yeah it's an issue. I'm sure it will be fun single player.

I played the BB demo... it was as about as fun as the length of the demo. I can't see myself choosing to spend my gaming time playing this, let alone paying to do so. I LOVED Super Mario 3D Land, it was quirky, different, and fit perfect on the portable system. This, however, as our console 3D Mario just seems weak.
That's what I was afraid of. It just seemed like this could be a job to rush out another game to look like the system has games coming down the pipeline instead of something truly unique. Not that this game is bad or good, I will probably pick it up sometime, but from the videos it just seemed like it was just a HD level pack for Super Mario 3D Land. Which is a shame. I am sure though the game will be decent, just not nothing groundbreaking like Galaxy or 64 was.

Not surprised about online. Nintendo seems to not want to do online gaming at all except for Mario Kart. That or they focused on getting the game out ASAP for WiiU game titles avaiable.

OK I'm in this looks insanely fun:

Stephen Totilo
super mario
Today 2:00pm

Finally, A Super Mario Game We Can All Be Excited About
original.gif

It's been a while since a new Super Mario Bros. game looked amazing. Agree? We all respect the New Super Mario Bros. games, right? They're classic... like Nintendo just baked a great new loaf of bread. Refined... like Nintendo just wrote a new sonnet. But exciting? Not really. That's where November's new Mario comes in.2

People who care about Super Mario games, let me show you Super Mario 3D World.

November 22.

Wii U.

It's the one with the catsuit power-up...

ku-xlarge.gif

See how being a cat can let you claw right up to the top of the flagpole?

That's one good idea of, I don't know, dozens? Hundreds in this game? See, Super Mario 3D World comes from EAD Tokyo, who other people will tell you are awesome because they made the two terrific Super Mario Galaxy games for the Wii and the splendid Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS, all of which were games bursting with new Mario ideas and innovative level designs. I'll tell you that, before that, they made Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, and I'll tell you that the drum-controlled game was the freshest, best DK side-scroller ever.

Anyway...

Bowser's back, kidnapping this green-haird lady of unknown name. Seriously, the Nintendo rep showing me the game yesterday at Nintendo's NYC offices couldn't or wouldn't tell me her name.

ku-xlarge.gif

What we do know is that she's been kidnapped. Our heroes—Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach and Toad—hop in a transparent warp pipe and chase after her.

The game does not take place in the Mushroom Kingdom, the Nintendo rep told me. Which kingdom? A neighboring kingdom. That's all I got.

Here's the over-world which looks a little New Super Mario Bros or 3D Land-ish except that you can walk through it in all directions. See?

ku-xlarge.gif

Why are some flags red and some yellow? I don't know! Indication of multiple exits? Dunno.4

I'm told that the overworld has some secrets. I did spot an enemy on it. Hitting him will take you into some sort of confrontation, I think. We weren't able to try it.

EAD Tokyo's no joke. Play their games and it's all new, new, new stuff. For example: soccer balls...

ku-xlarge.gif

I played exactly that scene. It's in level 1-3, if you don't believe me. You run into the soccer balls and you'll automatically kick them. You can tweak their direction with a control stick.

I played this next bit, too, which was in a level in world 2, I think. The level's called Double Cherry Pass and you're seeing a Mario that already has a fireball and has already duplicated himself by picking up one double cherry power-up picking up another.

ku-xlarge.gif

I played that sequence as Toad. I kept picking up double cherries and was eventually controlling five Toads at once.

Here's a level called Shadow Play Alley...

ku-xlarge.gif

I played that one as well. The idea is that you are still physically in the world but obscured, so you can only see shadows.5

See that square? There's an item in there, a blue stamp. The Nintendo rep told me that there is one of these per level. When we finished the level I got a glimpse of a screen that shows each of the stamps you've collected and outlines for the ones not collected. There were many, many outlines. Maybe 100? Maybe more? There were a lot! Thus: this game will have a lot of levels.

Here's Bowser again. This is from the start of a boss battle.

ku-xlarge.gif

You chase behind him while he drops exploding soccer balls at you. You kick them back toward his car, unless you're slow and then they just blow up in your face.

I'm going to rock your world now by informing you that he takes more than three hits to defeat. That ain't normal for a Nintendo boss, though I guess Bowser tends to be a bit tougher.

There are a lot of other cool power-ups and new moves in the game that I didn't see. A whole bunch of them are in this trailer:

I did see this one, which is the result of picking up a piranha plant and running toward enemies. The plant automatically eats the enemies.

ku-xlarge.gif

I was playing that bit co-op and discovered that the plant also took a bite at the other player's character any time I faced him. Sorry! (A little.)

Yeah, if you didn't know, you can play the game co-op. And if you're co-opping while using the cat power-up and the double-cherry power-up, Super Mario 3D World looks like this:

ku-xlarge.gif

I saw even more than what you see here, mind you, and I only saw the game for about 15 minutes.

I saw a cute section in the shadow level where I was able to rescue a red toad called Captain Toad by running behind part of the level. He was cowering from a Bowser-shaped shadow that, it turns out, was being created by a harmless cardboard Bowser that I had to knock down.

I saw new hidden platforms that are revealed only if you scratch wall via the Wii U's GamePad or do a butt-stomp.

I saw some fluffy pink enemies who only disappeared if I blew into the GamePad's mic.

I saw lots and lots of good stuff, all in sharp HD graphics with what felt like a smoother-than-average framerate.

Lately, if people ask if they need to get a Wii U, I tell them that it's a good system but not a must-have. I may well be singing a different tune after this game's out. It's really impressive.

This preview is based on about 15 minutes of hands-on time with a development build of the game. To contact the author of this post, write to [email protected] or find him on Twitter @stephentotilo.

If you played 3D Land, the levels with yellow flags are the levels which you have successfully hit the goal post are the very top.

Super Mario 3D World is an absolute blast to play
27Share34Tweet1476Share

authorpoint.gif
12:00 PM on 10.04.2013

So many new power-ups!
I played Super Mario 3D World at E3 this past year and for whatever reason it just didn't interest me at all. Yeah, it's neat and it's about time they made a 3D Mario game with mulitplayer, but the demo made it feel like yet another New Super Mario Bros. game. You know, the series that has been rehashed four times now if you count New Super Luigi U.

Technically those games are great -- don't get me wrong. And they're fun to play in co-op for sure, but something about them just never made me want to finish them. They didn't have the spirit of pretty much all of the earlier Mario games that made me fall in love and 100% each and every one of them.

I wanted to give Super Mario 3D World another chance though, and the hands-on time I got with the game yesterday has completely sold me on it. That spirit I was referring to before is undoubtedly present with the latest Mario game.

1 / 13

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
Developer: Nintendo EAD Tokyo
Publisher: Nintendo
Release: November 21, 2013 (JP) / November 22, 2013 (NA) / November 29, 2013 (EU) / November 30, 2013 (AU)

First, watch the trailer above that was released the other day showing off a ton of gameplay. It's impossible to not feel happy after watching it. There's so many new power-ups! In fact, that's what developer Nintendo EAD wanted to really push with this latest Mario. Power-ups, power-ups, power-ups!

How many power-ups are there? Let's count it off:

1. Mushroom
  2. Fire flower
  3. Tanooki suit
  4. Super star
  5. Cat suit! Meow meow meow!
  6. Cherry cloner
  7. Boomerang suit
  8. Missile launcher hat thing
  9. Propeller Block
  10. ? Block hat
  11. HOLLOWED OUT GOOMBA CORPSE!
  12. Kuribo's shoe as an ice skate! 
  13. Bombs
  14. Baseballs?!
  15. Potted Piranha Plant
  16. Explosive soccer balls
Not all are technically power-ups, but they are all weapons Mario can use. And I'm sure there are more that haven't been revealed yet.

1380642670-10-620x.jpg

Okay, now for the gameplay. Nintendo had me start off in World 1, which, by the way -- you can run across the world map itself now before entering a stage. You can move from level to level in any order you want, offering a choice in how you want to tackle the world much like the next Zelda is for the 3DS. There are also some big enemies on the map, but Nintendo wouldn't tell me what would happen if I encountered them.

Each of the playable characters have special abilities by the way. After running as Mario for a few seconds he'll gain a speed boost. The same goes for Toad, except he moves even faster. The Nintendo rep that was with me noted that Toad would be great for speed runs. Luigi can jump higher, and Princess Peach can float through the air for a few seconds. It's much like Super Mario Bros. 2 in terms of all their abilities. 

I played as Mario, and he was pretty reminiscent of how Mario controlled in Super Mario Galaxy -- except he felt a little more floaty, making him a bit slower to perform his acrobatic moves. I was trying to get a feel for Mario's new physics when I ... fell off the map. In the very first 15 seconds of my hands-on time I freaking fell of the map. I'm glad I did though, as I found out the death music is the same death song from Super Mario Bros. 3! A later level had the dungeon theme from the first Mario Bros. game in it. So yeah, expect plenty of throwbacks.

1380642669-9-620x.jpg

Back into the level, I made my way forward where I spotted some cat Goombas that I squashed along with using the hefty amount of POW blocks to obliterate them all. Then I got it. I got the cat suit that made me feel like a ninja. Mario's agility and speed increases, plus he can now run up walls, perform dive bombs, and scratch enemies to death.

Power-ups will also help open up hidden areas in levels, of which there are a ton. There's a device that can only be turned with the cat suit power, and turning this device will raise a tower that will let you reach a hidden star. There's three hidden stars in each level that you'll have to collect if you want to 100% the game.

The most important part of the cat suit is that it allows you to climb up a flag pole at the end of a level and get the max points. It's kind of cheating, but hey, you're going to want all the points when playing co-op. Multiplayer is similar to the New Super Mario Bros. titles in that characters will spawn within a floaty bubble, they can pick up and toss other players around, and it's all drop in/out co-op too.

1380642667-3-620x.jpg

At the end of each level players are given a total point score, and whoever was the winner will be given a crown. Yes, a crown! The winner will wear that crown in the next level, but if they're hit by an enemy the crown drops and someone else can grab it. You'll lose the crown entirely if you fall down a pit while wearing it too. There's no purpose to the crown, except to rub it in to your teammates.

The next part of my demo saw me go into the first world's end castle. Here I was introduced to the explosive soccer balls. They'll appear on the map, and you'll just need to run into them to kick them towards whatever direction you're facing. The soccer balls explode upon impact.

This part of the level is designed to give you a feel for the mechanic, as the next part of the stage sees you taking on Bowser. He has a sick new ride, and you have to destroy his vehicle by kicking the explosive soccer balls he throws out back at his ride. The level is auto-scrolling too, and you have to keep up otherwise you'll be killed if you fall too far behind. The level also appears to just go on endlessly until you're able to destroy Bowser's car.

1380642668-5-620x.jpg

After defeating Bowser, we went to a desert-themed world with the first level set within that shadowy area you saw from the trailer. This level is more of a side-scroller, especially with the shadow effect going on. It's here where I used the Potted Piranha Plant too. Just pick it up and the plant will bite whatever comes near it. Careful though, as the plant will even snap at your co-op buddies. They won't lose a power-up or anything, but they will be knocked back a few feet.

At one point in this level there's a wall of purple enemies that are blocking the path. You can just jump through them to move on, but you get hurt doing so. To get through them safely you'll need to blow into your GamePad's mic. Kind of a stupid feature, if you ask me.

The last level I played through had the cherry cloner power-up. Pick it up and there will be two Marios. Pick up another and get three Marios. Then four, then five, and then six. The Nintendo rep wasn't able to tell me if you can have more than six.

1380642669-8-620x.jpg

With six Marios, all of which had the fire-flower ability, I obliterated everything in my path. Nothing stood a chance against so many fireballs. It's kind of tricky controlling all the Marios at once, especially if they get split up from the pack. If one gets hit, they'll simply disappear. I wonder if we'll ever see a level that offers the cherry power-ups and the ability to equip each one of them with a different power. That might be too much power for one plumber to yield though.

I am so happy for Super Mario World 3D. It's exactly what I've wanted out of a Mario game for years now. I'll lose my mind if they bring back the feather cape too which is, as we all know, the best Mario power-up of all time. Period.

My tune has changed on this game. Seeing more footage of this makes me want it badly. I will get it sometime before x-mas. Not that I don't want it day one but I will be getting it probably early December unless there is some great preorder deal on it. It's basically in exchange of payback of a loan that is owed to me. Plus I will still be going through watch dogs.

I CANNOT wait for this game!!!!! Also if this hasn't been in this thread, Super Mario 3D World will be playable with the Pro Controller and Nunchuk + Wii Remote combo.

I cannot wait for this to finally release. This is what I believe will finally sell some Wii U's. I've been waiting for a long time for this, and I'm ready. ;)

Just want to let you all know this game may not play on a regular Wii since the other Mario for Wii U didn't. Don't get TRICKED!

From Amazon customer:
Not compatible with regular Nintendo Wii, October 10, 2013

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros. U (Video Game)
Beware!!! this is a game for Wii U, which is a completely different gaming system from Nintendo Wii. Found this out the hard way after we opened it. We returned the game to Amazon and they took it back thankfully. I didn't mind paying the $6 for shipping since really this was my fault for not knowing that Wii U is a different game system, but there was also a $20 restocking fee, plus some other minor fee, that was never mentioned until the game was received by Amazon. So the $50 game I accidently bought gave me a $17 refund.

Maybe I should just be happy that I got anything back for an opened video game, but I feel like I was tricked.
http://www.amazon.com/review/R39U8PW4RJPN58/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B002I0K3CK&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

Just want to let you all know this game may not play on a regular Wii since the other Mario for Wii U didn't. Don't get TRICKED!
From Amazon customer:
Not compatible with regular Nintendo Wii, October 10, 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: New Super Mario Bros. U (Video Game)
Beware!!! this is a game for Wii U, which is a completely different gaming system from Nintendo Wii. Found this out the hard way after we opened it. We returned the game to Amazon and they took it back thankfully. I didn't mind paying the $6 for shipping since really this was my fault for not knowing that Wii U is a different game system, but there was also a $20 restocking fee, plus some other minor fee, that was never mentioned until the game was received by Amazon. So the $50 game I accidently bought gave me a $17 refund.
Maybe I should just be happy that I got anything back for an opened video game, but I feel like I was tricked.http://www.amazon.com/review/R39U8PW4RJPN58/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B002I0K3CK&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful
Wow the attack replies by Nintendo fans are pretty vicious. Not surprising though, knowing how Nintendo's mistakes are defended. I wouldn't be at all surprised if more people DONT know the Wii U is a different console than do.

This game's hype trumps any "next gen" game coming out this year for me. 

Glad Nintendo is getting the ball rolling with the Wii U this holiday. 

I don't see how the Wii-U thing is a trick as it's been out for a while now but at the same time could sympathize a bit with the misinformed consumer, so perhaps after enough returns Amazon may issue some sort of disclaimer to make it clear to these people.

I like how Nintendo threw the release date of this right in the middle of all the hype! Now, I hope that :wiiu: Luigi's Mansion Newegg leak shows up! :bouncy:

After that 6 minute trailer they released the other day, I was sold. Originally I was thinking I'd pick it up around March 2014 or something but now I want it at launch. I can use my $10 "sorry our unbelievable sale was an error and we have to cancel your order" giftcard from Walmart.

After that 6 minute trailer they released the other day, I was sold. Originally I was thinking I'd pick it up around March 2014 or something but now I want it at launch. I can use my $10 "sorry our unbelievable sale was an error and we have to cancel your order" giftcard from Walmart.
It'll be $48 if you're Gamer's Club Unlocked at Best Buy!:D

OMG Nintendo!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why you tease me so?!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz3t_Z750yU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgjUiL6sKe4

So apparently you can unlock Rosalina as a fifth character...maybe there will be more?

Also, the "Sonic ripoff" levels are apparently Mario Kart ripoff levels.  They remind me more of the slide racing in SM64, but whatevs, looks fun regardless.

Now instead of spin-offs referencing main games...we have a main game referencing a spin-off! (Mario Kart)

Anyways, this will be a day-one download for me.  I hope they release it at midnight O_O

I just paid for two day shipping, release date delivery from Amazon. My original delivery date was Dec 2 to Dec 3. :wall: Now I remember why I usually avoid buying games from amazon just before Christmas. I am so excited for this game.

You guys are getting me so hyped.  I've found I wish I had New Super Mario Bros U on my console rather than disc, so I'm going with the eShop SM3DW and going to grab it as soon as it's up (Wednesday at 11 pm for me--along with Zelda: A Link Between Worlds!)

The kicker: my fiancee is visiting December 16, and I promised her I wouldn't play it without her.  It will be fun to look at on my home screen and not tap, though.

Early reviews seem to be universally positive. The only real downside is that the game doesn't seem to utilize most of the Wii U's more unique hardware features. So while it sounds like an excellent game, it doesn't seem like it really needed to be on the Wii U. On the plus side, it is at least using the Wii U's improved rendering capability to make the game very, very pretty.

On the one hand, the game could have probably shown up on either the 360 or PS3. (and definitely the XBox One or PS4) On the other hand, Nintendo is using their strength at design and aesthetics to show the industry how graphics can be properly applied.

bread's done
Back