Best Hard Drive for the money? ("Fat" 360)

Soke

CAGiversary!
I've been scanning ebay and amazon looking at 250gb microsoft external xbox 360 hard drives. I'm anticipating the dropping prices of 360 games and want to be able to play more games at any time. How is the performance when connecting an external hard drive via a usb 2.0 port compared to using an external clip on? I've read elsewhere reading isn't an issue but writing can be slow? For the money it appears I'd be better off purchasing an external usb 2.0 hard drive and using it as my main HD to save and read from. Would this be correct? On one hand If I wait I imagine that the price of the 250gb Microsoft external hard drives will fall as more go up for sale and people sell off their 360 stuff for one of the new consoles. Or will the price be steady as more people want larger drives so they can store and play more games?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I say fat im referring to the original design as oppose to the "S". It came bundled with Kung Fu panda and Indiana Jones. It was given to me recently, im not well versed on all things xbox. Whats confusing though, is it has about 11 gb on it and is almost full (only a few gbs free)when the description for the kind of xbox I have online says it should of came with a 60gb drive. I wont be home for a weel to check what the size the drive says in the side. But even if I knew, I still only have a few gbs left on the drive.That said I wanted to know what would be the best choice?

Thanks for the reply.

When I say fat im referring to the original design as oppose to the "S". It came bundled with Kung Fu panda and Indiana Jones. It was given to me recently, im not well versed on all things xbox. Whats confusing though, is it has about 11 gb on it and is almost full (only a few gbs free)when the description for the kind of xbox I have online says it should of came with a 60gb drive. I wont be home for a weel to check what the size the drive says in the side. But even if I knew, I still only have a few gbs left on the drive.That said I wanted to know what would be the best choice?

Thanks for the reply.
Just buy a new 360 this coming Black Friday. It will be $200 or less. You'll get a better version of the console and a hard drive.

First, I dont think getting an external USB HDD is a good idea.  The 360 can only read 32GB of storage via a USB device.  Thus it's not like you can get a 2TB drive to attach.

Second, if you are looking for an official 360 HDD, you dont have to get a fat one.  The slim ones will fit into the enclosure your 60GB currently sits in.   You just need the torx drivers to open it up.  You can swap it out easy peasy.  You can use a flash drive to transfer the files.

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for breaking that down.

Just buy a new 360 this coming Black Friday. It will be $200 or less. You'll get a better version of the console and a hard drive.

I'll do this if/when it RROD.

bread's done
Back