Super Smash Bros

(Copied from other thread.)

So, early projections on the Smash Bros. lineup?

Confirmed:
- Mario
- Link
- Pikachu
- Kirby
- Bowser
- Villager
- Mega Man
- WiiFit Trainer
- Fox
- Samus
- Donkey Kong
- Pit

Based on previous lineups, these are a pretty good bet to return:

- Luigi
- Yoshi
- Jigglypuff
- Ness
- Captain Falcon
- Zelda/Shiek
- Gannondorf
- Marth
- Wario
- Mr. Game & Watch
- Toon Link
- Princess Peach
- Diddy Kong
- King Dedede
- Captain Olimar
- Ice Climbers
- MetaKnight

I wonder if Jigglypuff would get some new specials to show off her new Fairy-type moves. I also believe there will be another Pokemon series character, whether it be an actual Pokemon (maybe Mewtwo with the ability to change into its new Forme?) or the return of Pokemon Trainer. Either way, it will be advertising X & Y.

I also expect somebody from Fire Emblem Awakening to replace Ike.

I really hope R.O.B. returns.

Zero Suit Samus will probably return for sex appeal alone.

Can't wait for this!

Probably my most anticipated game for 2014. :D

It's going to be nearly impossible to ignore the Smash Dojo reveals until launch.  I really want to save the surprises for when I first play the game but I know I'm going to cave in before next year. 

E3 2013: No Plans for Smash Bros. DLC, Tripping Removed

Good news for Super Smash Bros. fans.
by Richard George
June 13, 2013

With DLC becoming a huge standard in the video game industry, particularly for fighting games, many are no doubt wondering if Smash Bros. producer Masahiro Sakurai plans to take a similar approach. Sakurai told me in an interview that his sole focus right now is making the best possible game he can, and that currently he has no plans for DLC.

"At the current time we have no plans," Sakurai told me. "I consider my job at this point, and my main responsibility, to make the Wii U and 3DS versions the best and the fullest experience possible. That said, once finished, it's the type of thing we could take into consideration, but for now, you could consider DLC as not being in the cards."

Sakurai also confirmed to me that tripping, a significant and frustrating element from Super Smash Bros. Brawl had been removed. The series creator described the gameplay direction of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and Super Smash Bros. 3DS as being somewhere between the faster, more competitive style of Melee and the slower, more casual design of Brawl. No doubt that will be good news for those wanting a better compromise.

Rich is an Executive Editor at IGN. Chat about Super Smash Bros. with him on Twitter @RichIGN.

-I'm sort of glad there is no DLC but man the possibilities...

No DLC for now. He didn't say ever.

Also, tripping was my major annoyance in Brawl, so thank goodness that's gone.

Hopefully they do another story mode. I liked Subspace Emissary.

Psychotic villager is gonna be a thing...

tumblr_mocc4mKeOW1qcbo9lo1_500.jpg

I should like these games, but I am terrible at them in part because of how the control works, so I don't really have fun with it. But my kids are really looking forward to it.

I skipped out on Brawl, mainly because Melee was sufficient for the occasional SSB urges.  This one is shaping up nicely, especially after removing the trip mechanic.

Mega Man is so badass in that trailer! Mega Man would so fuck up that villager and everyone in Smash Bros.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm back.  :wave:

I wonder which CAGs are still alive since the last mega epic colossal thread? 4-6 online tournaments. 480 subscribers. 514 pages. 15,400 posts. Numerous memories.

Things I'm excited about:

- No more tripping!

- Speed is between Melee and Brawl

Predictions:

- Mega Man or Villager will be in A/S/SS tier.

- Most or all A/S/SS tiers from Brawl (e.g. MetaKnight, Snake, etc.) will be nerfed.

- Kirby or King Dedede and Namco character(s) will be in a very high tier. It is Sakurai and Namco's game after all!

- Nintendo will somehow lure us to buy both 3DS and Wii U versions. They'll do a better job of double dipping than Pokemon.

- Smash Brawl community will return. Once a Smasher, always a Smasher.  :grouphug:

I'm here! :grouphug:

Hope Ness and Lucas make a return. I figure Ness has to come back since he was one of the originals.

Hopefully the online works better. I always had trouble being disconnected in Brawl after a couple matches.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/creating-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-and-3ds

Creating Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

From character customization to single-player philosophy, Masahiro Sakurai updates us on Nintendo’s blockbuster.
by Richard George
July 3, 2013

Masahiro Sakurai is Nintendo’s rock star. An outsider to the publisher’s internal “Entertainment Analysis & Development” team, Sakurai has a bit more freedom, which is clear from the moment you meet him. Calm, collected and quiet, the first thing you notice about Sakurai is how he dresses. Whereas most Nintendo producers are relatively conservative with their clothing, wearing game-related t-shirts complemented by dark blazers and slacks, Sakurai wears something that might seem more suited for a night out on the town: a purple and black camouflage dress shirt, flared jeans and shoes a bit more ornate than anything that typically accompanies a business suit. Much like his outfit, Sakurai is a unique entity within Nintendo – and controls one of the publisher’s most unique core franchises, Super Smash Bros.

Though many details about Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS have yet to emerge, the biggest change to the franchise comes from the fact that this generation’s iteration of the flashy, chaotic fighter will co-exist on two platforms. No doubt focusing on one platform would be easier – why go for both at the same time? Sakurai detailed the origins of his twin projects.

“Back when I was working on Kid Icarus Uprising, I was already getting a feel for the 3DS performance and the features in that hardware,” Sakurai told me. “Mr. Iwata came to me and asked which platform I would want to put the next Smash Bros. on. Looking at those two platforms and seeing their individual styles and uniquenesses – I saw with the 3DS that it would be good for one flavor of the game, but there was also the other end, getting the grand scale what was possible with the Wii U. So with that in mind, we decided to go ahead and put the game on two platforms.”

It’s already clear that differences will exist between the two versions, despite the fact that they will share the same roster. Sakurai pointed out to me what trailers and footage have already revealed – the 3DS game will feature stages from portable levels and the Wii U version will contain stages from home console software. With locations differing, I asked Sakurai how he planned to have the two games interact, as that was effectively the only feature mentioned by Nintendo president Satoru Iwata when he revealed the games were in development in 2011.

“We’re currently going through a lot of trial and error, seeing what fits best for the game,” Sakurai told me. “Eventually that will come to fruition in some form or another, but right now it’s a little bit early to say exactly what that will be.”

With the precise nature of connectivity still to be determined, I pressed Sakurai on how he planned to shake up the Smash Bros. formula. When I interviewed Sakurai about Kid Icarus Uprising over a year ago, he mentioned that simply adding characters and stages wouldn’t be enough. I wanted to know what gameplay features would actually set this new entry apart from its predecessors.

“What’s unique about the 3DS is that you have your own screen,” Sakurai offered. “There are things we can do that are unique to having a personalized experience for yourself. Also, having your own data that you can carry around in your own personal device creates a lot of neat opportunities. That’s something we want to take advantage of – without going into too much detail.”

That’s not a ton of detail, but considering the 3DS and Wii U versions are both a ways away, there’s no telling what experiments Sakurai and his all-star Namco Bandai team are conducting. Despite the fact that Smash Bros. was given a live demonstration during an early morning E3 event at Nintendo’s booth, the more I chatted with Sakurai, the more I was convinced things were in flux. In fact, on the topic of balancing and roster alterations, Sakurai stressed that he wasn’t even at that point in development.

“We’re not at a stage in development where we’re going through those fine sorts of adjustments,” Sakurai said, when I asked about balancing the roster and the possibility of software patches. “When we get towards the end of development, we will have what we call monitor playtests, where we watch people play the games. We perform thorough analysis based on those observations. There have been cases in the past, admittedly, where we didn’t gather sufficient data for certain characters, and that resulted in certain game imbalances. Patches are something we’d definitely like to be able to do, if possible.”

On the topic of the roster, Sakurai noted that the 3DS version of the game, with its hardware’s technical limitations, would likely keep the volume of the roster in check, though no characters had been cut so far, and any determination to that effect is a ways away. Which characters ultimately are included will be the result of careful consideration, ranging from which fighters have unique characteristics, equally representing franchises and how signature traits carry over well from previous games like Brawl. Sakurai did tell me that “multiple character” combatants like the Ice Climbers were proving a technical challenge on the 3DS.

Customization played a role in Super Smash Bros. Brawl – but only during the game’s story-driven, single-player “Subspace Emissary” mode. I asked Sakurai if customization, particularly given its prevalence in many major, multiplayer-driven games, would play a role within the 3DS and Wii U games.

“We’re planning for a level of customization to some degree and in some form,” Sakurai acknowledged. “It’s not completely decided at this point. But it’s very important to point out that we do this in a careful way that doesn’t affect the strength and balance of the characters. One thing we’d like to do is to be able to customize the direction of attacks. But not give characters a stronger jump or a stronger or weaker attack. You can consider customizations like that possible.”

Sakurai also elaborated on single-player plans this time around. Would something like Subspace Emissary return? “At the very least, we’re thinking of maybe not implementing that sort of single-player experience like Subspace Emissary, where you play through to a conclusion and you’re rewarded with something like a movie,” Sakurai said. “We found that if you wanted to see those movies, you could just go to the internet. That sort of thing loses its appeal as a reward for the player. I can’t say concretely, but we’re thinking about removing that sort of element and coming up with a way to provide a more rewarding single-player experience in which players will be rewarded in different ways.”

That feeling about the Smash Bros. games still being very early in development seeped into every aspect of my conversation. Sakurai addressed every topic only with theoretical ideas, and few specifics. In the case of improving and adjusting the game’s online functionality, Sakurai noted that Nintendo had “significantly updated” its network, forming a “good base for what we’re going to do.” Still, the creative director couldn’t get into specific implementation details, though he did note his team has no plans for any sort of world ranking system. “We don’t want to have a type of situation where you have a ranking pyramid, and only the people at the very top can enjoy it. I think there are other unique ways to be able to implement a system where people can get satisfaction out of performing at a skill level relative to their peer group.”

Though at a glance Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Melee are similar games, they couldn’t be more different in their overall feel and design, with Melee being the preference of the hardcore franchise fans and Brawl being favored because of its deep roster and options. Many fans have wondered about that discrepancy – turns out it was deliberate.

“Quite simply Melee was something that was targeted more towards hardcore, advanced players,” Sakurai told me, when I asked him to characterize his new games. “With Wii, on a platform where you were getting experiences like Wii Fit and there was an audience that tilted slightly more towards beginning players, we slowed down the gameplay. This time around, we don’t see a situation where we’ll be encountering as many beginning players, and so as far as the speed and the feel of the game, I think you could say confidently that we’re targeting something right in between those two versions.”

My conversation with Sakurai was methodical, moving through the many, many details that make up a massive piece of software like Super Smash Bros. And while it was clear that many of these finer points have yet to be decided, which is probably why Nintendo didn’t have the game playable during E3 2013, Sakurai still talks about his projects with a decisiveness and conviction that indicates he has a larger vision that has yet to complete mature. Despite that clarity, Sakurai still takes the time to ask me questions of his own. Which Namco Bandai character would I want to include? (My reply: old school Pac-Man.) What would that character's Final Smash be? (The enemies turn into ghosts, and you pursue them around the stage to eat them.) What Nintendo character would I want added? (A mob of seven Bowser's Koopalings, which prompted Sakurai to caution the 3DS's limits with fighters like the Ice Climbers.)

Regardless of all the unknowns, much of what I’ve seen about Super Smash Bros. is incredibly reassuring. The philosophy behind the game’s design feels right. Tripping is being removed. The team is cautious with its character additions and removals. Though both games might not arrive on the 3DS and Wii U until 2014, it seems as though Nintendo fans around the globe are likely to have their considerable patience rewarded. Here’s hoping Sakurai’s meticulous attention to detail results in a crowning achievement for the franchise.

Rich is an Executive Editor with IGN, and watches over all news, features and Nintendo-related content. He kind of wishes his 3DS was region-free - there are so many amazing games coming out in Japan that he wants! Follow his non-stop discussions of Jurassic Park, Nintendo and comic books by following Rich on Twitter @RichIGN.

It's disappointing to think that the 3DS's limitations will impact the Wii U version in any way. This is Nintendo's first HD version and possibly the last Smash Bros. iteration by Sakurai. I want them to go all out and not have to second guess themselves for portable considerations.

If they are doing this to make them the same, I wonder if perhaps this means the two games can connect via multiplayer? Maybe? Even possible?

wii fit trainer could be removed from the 3ds version for two reason

1. you can only train your brain with the 3ds

2. her name has wii in it

Captain Olimar has been confirmed to return, apparently with a new Pikmin stage.

EDIT: Capcom made a picture for MegaMan's arrival:

illust.jpg

Heh, I love the way that inclusion in Smash Bros is like a Hall of Fame enshrinement. Rockman is long overdue.

Thread hasn't been updated in a while, so with a returning fighter, let's update the known roster:

Mario
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Link
Toon Link
Fox
Pikachu
Marth
Sonic
Kirby
King Dedede
Samus
Captain Olimar & Pikmin
Mega Man
Rosalina & Luma
WiiFit Trainer
Peach
Zelda
Villager

Lucario got updated! 

Which I'm very happy for.  One of my most used characters in Brawl.  (Mains were Kirby, Lucario, Pikachu and Jigglypuff.)

I have a feeling Lucario's Final Smash (as well as Mewtwo's as I am pretty sure he is coming back) will be its MegaEvolution.

Hmmm....my son cannot wait for this.  I should record him playing SSB on the Wii.  Some of the funniest stuff you will hear.  Running commentary that you can hear from the street.   Better than the commentary coming from Mario Kart or Super Sluggers.  It is a toss up between this and Mario Tennis on what gives him the best workout.  Awesome and cannot wait for the release.

Oh snaps, new Super Smash Bros info.

Get Hype!   :whee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xUWnQu2Grs

3DS version scheduled for release this summer, while Wii U version is aiming for Winter 2014.

I actually don't mind that because with Mario Kart 8 releasing pretty much in June this gives the game enough breathing room to enjoy without any distractions.  

Summer release date for the 3DS version is a pleasant surprise.  This may work out great for me, similar to Mario Kart. I picked up Mario Kart 7 late last year and was able to really enjoy the game up until now with Mario Kart 8 around the corner.  I'll be able to do the same with the 3DS/Wii U versions of Smash Bros. 

Pretty awesome news for Smash fans, stick around to the very end for a couple surprises.  :D

Was hoping we'd a subtitle by now.

EDIT: Hopefully Charizard plays different from Brawl. A little sad to lose Pokemon Trainer though.

As for Greninja, he looks fun as hell, but if Mewtwo and/or Jigglypuff appear, that will be a LOT of Pokemon.

Also, Lucario and Charizard's Final Smashes are their Mega Evolutions.

Really wanna play the Find Mii stage.

I can see the Boss elements will piss off the tournament diehards.

Love the new items and Assist Trophies. Midna is going to raise hell.

Love the separate character stuff. Knew they wouldn't get rid of Zero Suit Samus' sex appeal.

The new Final Destination modes are quite awesome.

Calling it now: Rosalina is the new MetaKnight.

MegaMan's Final Smash is awesome.

Game releases Summer 2014 - $40

Game releases Winter 2014 - $60

Gamer 1 owns a 3DS - buys Game on 3DS.

Gamer 1 doesn't own a Wii U - doesn't buy a Wii U to play the game he's played for 6 months already on his 3DS. 

"software pushes hardware" except when you've made your software a timed exclusive to your much more popular platform.

Yeah Greninja looks super dope. That was a hell of a surprise and had me guessing till the very end.  I love that they added in a new Pokemon instead of just another clone (ala Mewtwo) although there's still a chance the vet Pokemon make it into the game. With Charizard and Greninja, I wonder if they'll squeeze a grass pokemon into the roster to complete the base element trifecta. 

Now that Charizard is his own character he's much more appealing in my opinion. It looks like they are breaking away from the swap type characters (Zelda/Sheik, Samus/ZSS, Pokemon Trainer) in order to give these characters full fleshed out attention and movesets, which is something that I'm really digging.

I'm glad they changed up Olimar for the better and gave Kirby that new move and better final smash. Yoshi looks much better too with his modernized look. Pretty much every character that I was interested in got a positive boost.  

The game looks fun as hell, can't wait.

Game releases Summer 2014 - $40
Game releases Winter 2014 - $60

Gamer 1 owns a 3DS - buys Game on 3DS.
Gamer 1 doesn't own a Wii U - doesn't buy a Wii U to play the game he's played for 6 months already on his 3DS.

"software pushes hardware" except when you've made your software a timed exclusive to your much more popular platform.
Except, how many portable fighters are that successful? Dissidia? Anything else? Most gamers prefer their fighters on consoles.

Also, I highly doubt there are not going to be any WiiU exclusive features.

Plus, the WiiU version will be released in time for Christmas. That will cause many gamers to get it just because of the Christmas mentality.

Except, how many portable fighters are that successful? Dissidia? Anything else? Most gamers prefer their fighters on consoles.
Also, I highly doubt there are not going to be any WiiU exclusive features.
Plus, the WiiU version will be released in time for Christmas. That will cause many gamers to get it just because of the Christmas mentality.
I really don't think this release schedule is helpful to the fate of the Wii U.

I thought they meant Christmas too but this IGN video brings up some good points. I now think Mitch in the video is right. They would have said "holiday" instead of "winter".

http://m.ign.com/videos/2014/04/08/smash-bros-wii-u-will-it-really-arrive-in-2014

bread's done
Back