* * * * * 1 votes

Mario Kart 8

#1 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:07 AM

I honestly thought Mario Kart Wii and 7 were fairly meh. Hope this is a big improvement.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#2 DNukem170   Pikaburger! Use Meat Shield! CAGiversary!   6651 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago   Has been playing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
DS

DNukem170

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:27 AM

What us it with the blah names lately? Seems like the last MK title to have a decent name was Double Dash.

#3 AFRO insomniac   Sunset Overdrive - Best next gen game so far CAGiversary!   4722 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

AFRO insomniac

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

The game looks awesome. :D

I hope the online is stellar.

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#4 Solid Kilvas  

Solid Kilvas

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

Nice for those who can't get enough Mario Kart, or want the Mario Kart experience on the Wii U. Looks very much like MK7+. I feel like I can let this one pass by, maybe even rent with Gamefly for a week. Now if it were something really different, like Double Dash 2, I could get on board.

#5 dothog   n ur race snakin mai kart CAGiversary!   2648 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

They're killing the heart of the MK games with tricks, motorcycles, gliders, anti-gravity, and, most importantly, tons and tons of boxes/items.  It's an institutional problem for them, the culture and philosophy they're building on (i.e. "Simplify control yet artifically expand what actions players can take, and make sure everyone has an item at all times") is taking the fun out of a game that was already fun for all skill levels to begin with.  That's what makes the issue confounding: it was already fun!  It wasn't broke!

That leaves out how we got to this point in the MK games, which is quite a tale.  The irony of it is that MK fans are as much to blame as Nintendo is.  I'll limit my appearances to avoid trolling.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 moothemagiccow   Tall buildings shake Silenced   1075 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

moothemagiccow

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

I was terrible at mario kart until the wii version let me steer with the remote. It's actually what made me buy a wii.

3DS 3136-6780-8494
Wii U moothemagiccow
PSN moothemagiccow

#7 dothog   n ur race snakin mai kart CAGiversary!   2648 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

So if Dance Central were to completely overhaul its game so that paraplegics have a shot at a 5-star here and there, and a paraplegic consequently 5-starred "Poker Face," that would legitimize the overhaul?

By the way, I love this metaphor.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Veridis_Quo   VAIR-RID-DIS CAGiversary!   2409 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

I wonder how bad the rubberbanding will be in this one. I really hope the gameplay is closer to Double Dash than it's recent predecessors.

#9 dothog   n ur race snakin mai kart CAGiversary!   2648 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

I wonder how bad the rubberbanding will be in this one. I really hope the gameplay is closer to Double Dash than it's recent predecessors.

Rubberbanding will always be there, but it's not the main problem.  (Some reviews have alluded to it, but being E3 impressions they can't play long enough to get a genuine feel for it.)

And the gameplay will be similar to DD only in the possibility of including an optional second person per cart.  If by gameplay you mean kart mechanics/control, it won't resemble DD at all.  MK is more of a gentle slidey thing now, due in part by the need to facilitate motion control.  It's like a really, really, really slowed down F-Zero had a baby with SMK, and that baby had a baby with Mario Party.

That's some hot baby lovin.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8149 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

The tracks look fun but I feel it's just going to be like the newer MK games where the item/gameplay is bullshit. The game should not be impossible to beat in singleplayer because of what bullshit the opponents got. I should to be able to win because of skill.

I love Mario Kart but I just can't buy this game if they don't fix the gameplay.

125063.png808669.png
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#11 theflicker   Hurm. CAGiversary!   1448 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

theflicker

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:20 PM

The tracks look fun but I feel it's just going to be like the newer MK games where the item/gameplay is bullshit. The game should not be impossible to beat in singleplayer because of what bullshit the opponents got. I should to be able to win because of skill.

I love Mario Kart but I just can't buy this game if they don't fix the gameplay.

It wouldn't take much either, I think. Just the ability to turn off items or certain items like Smash Bros would do the trick. Or can you already do that? I haven't played MK extensively in a while.

It'd be neat if they shook it up and tossed the Smash team on MK or Rare or something. Could be an expensive mistake, but could lead to some neat innovation. On the other hand, their perspective must be 'why rock the million dollar boat?'

#12 DNukem170   Pikaburger! Use Meat Shield! CAGiversary!   6651 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago   Has been playing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
DS

DNukem170

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

I have no real problem with how items were used in Mario Kart 7. Just adds to the fun.

#13 moothemagiccow   Tall buildings shake Silenced   1075 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

moothemagiccow

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

So if Dance Central were to completely overhaul its game so that paraplegics have a shot at a 5-star here and there, and a paraplegic consequently 5-starred "Poker Face," that would legitimize the overhaul?

By the way, I love this metaphor.

Actually the analog stick steering is favorable to a paraplegic, while motion controls aren't, so your metaphor makes no sense.

Your point was that it was fun for all skill levels before MKWii. My point is that it wasn't.

3DS 3136-6780-8494
Wii U moothemagiccow
PSN moothemagiccow

#14 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   16791 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

I seem to enjoy Mario Kart games well enough every time. I haven't played MK7, but I liked MKWii. In general I'm not crazy about portable versions of racing games because of lack of opportunity to play with others locally (need multiple devices instead of one TV and console). So I'm on board. These MK games are fun to play with my kids.

Crunchewy.png

#15 theflicker   Hurm. CAGiversary!   1448 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

theflicker

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

I seem to enjoy Mario Kart games well enough every time. I haven't played MK7, but I liked MKWii. In general I'm not crazy about portable versions of racing games because of lack of opportunity to play with others locally (need multiple devices instead of one TV and console). So I'm on board. These MK games are fun to play with my kids.

Agreed. I enjoyed MK7, but not to the extent that I did DD or 64. DD's buddy system was tops in terms of local co-op play. I expect offscreen tablet play to be a blast.

#16 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

Nintendo only confirming 4-player local multiplayer for Mario Kart 8

June 15th, 2013 Posted in News, Posted by Brian, Wii U | No Comments »

Through its various videos earlier this week, Nintendo confirmed 12-player online multiplayer for Mario Kart 8. The racer will, however, allow gamers to play locally with others.

Nintendo did confirm to us that up to four users can play Mario Kart 8 locally, but wouldn’t comment beyond this. Austin had asked a Nintendo representative about having a fifth person playing with a GamePad at E3 2013, but wasn’t given a comment.

Also worth mentioning, the E3 demo did not contain any new items. The representative seemed to think that the full game will feature new inclusions, though.

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#17 DNukem170   Pikaburger! Use Meat Shield! CAGiversary!   6651 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago   Has been playing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
DS

DNukem170

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

The multi player and items probably aren't finalized yet.

#18 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   16791 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

I saw this at the Best Buy E3 demo today and wished I'd picked to try it. It looked amazing! It's moving up to the top of my Wii U wants (after we get a Wii U!! :( The game was beautiful looking and the courses looked fantastic. I love how they use the anti-gravity portions.

Crunchewy.png

#19 moothemagiccow   Tall buildings shake Silenced   1075 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

moothemagiccow

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

The split screen pikmin they were showing is troubling. I was hoping Nintendo might find use for the gamepad beyond minor touch controls, considering it was their freaking idea.

3DS 3136-6780-8494
Wii U moothemagiccow
PSN moothemagiccow

#20 dothog   n ur race snakin mai kart CAGiversary!   2648 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:56 AM

I was hoping Nintendo might find use for the gamepad beyond minor touch controls, considering it was their freaking idea.

Give it 2-3 years.  They'll get there.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   16791 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

This is slated to come out Spring 2014! Not more specific than that, but it's something. I will be pre-ordering at Best Buy if they offer a $10 gift card. Actually I'll probably pre-order there regardless since I'll have GCU shortly.

Crunchewy.png

#22 Explicit   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1079 Posts   Joined 3.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:44 AM

Some new videos of the game. Rainbow Road from Mario Kart 64 has been remade  :bow:

PSN ID: Xplicit84

Xbox Live: Explicit84

NNID: Explicit

3DS Friend Codes: 4484-9799-5674 - ACNL Boxden

1693-1437-8788 - ACNL Yolovile

1719-3521-7445 - All other 3DS games

#23 AFRO insomniac   Sunset Overdrive - Best next gen game so far CAGiversary!   4722 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

AFRO insomniac

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

Holy shit they remade the highway track from MK 64. Love me some MK64 tracks. 

And damn those new vertical sections of the tracks look fun as hell. 

The game looks super polished.  I cannot wait, it's up there as one of my most anticipated titles of the year along with Smash Bros. 

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#24 DNukem170   Pikaburger! Use Meat Shield! CAGiversary!   6651 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago   Has been playing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
DS

DNukem170

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

I am not as keen on Rainbow Road. Hated the MK64 version. Hopefully that is just the RR for the old tracks and not the new ones.

Toad's Turnpike, Thwomp Hills, and Shy Guy Falls look incredibly fun, though. The boosts on the trucks is a brilliant addition.

Also, flower shuriken FTW.

#25 MIPS64  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

Game looks amazing.  I'm a little disappointed we can't have 2 players with one using the GamePad and the other the TV so each have their own dedicated screen.

#26 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   3761 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

Those are some pretty good graphics for the Wii-U.

#27 Spybreak9   $$$$$ Game Scholar CAGiversary!   6721 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago   Has been playing Sunset Overdrive
XONE

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

Yeah wow this is looking siiiiiiiiiiiick.

Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Batman Arkham Knight, The Witcher 3, Halo 5: Guardians
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#28 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:44 PM

Is this game motion controlled with the WiiMote in the same way that Mario Kart Wii is?

#29 DNukem170   Pikaburger! Use Meat Shield! CAGiversary!   6651 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago   Has been playing Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
DS

DNukem170

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:05 AM

It will probably be an optional scheme.

#30 MIPS64  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:05 AM

Is this game motion controlled with the WiiMote in the same way that Mario Kart Wii is?

It can be, yes.  Also, all Wii/Wii U controllers are supported except the original Wii Classic Controller (Pro version works).