* * * * * 1 votes

Mario Kart 8

#241 aFrostyONE   Randal the Vandal aint got nothing on me... CAGiversary!   2312 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

aFrostyONE

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

Anyone notice the little star that's on the top of the screen during online races? What's it for??? 

Think it only shows once the race ends & you can hit the + button to cycle through a few.

I remember having the 2 star filled in, but 1 & 3 are not filled in.

Current Playlist:

:wiiu:  +++++  Mario Kart 8 vs. Smash Bros - What could go wrong              :3ds:  +++++   SteamWorld Dig - oh so good!

:360:  +++++  South Park: Stickin it to the Man - or whatever it's called           :xb1:  +++++  Tomb RaiderWhat!!! So I never played it the 1st time round

:ps4:  +++++  Destiny - the game sooo VICE, I've bought it Thrice                    :ps3:  +++++  Destiny - The game you hate to love, cuz it loves to hate you...

#242 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   13225 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago   Has been playing Bayonetta 2
Wii U

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

Anyone notice the little star that's on the top of the screen during online races? What's it for??? 

Think it only shows once the race ends & you can hit the + button to cycle through a few.

I remember having the 2 star filled in, but 1 & 3 are not filled in.

Maybe you're talking about your favorites?  I believe you can have up to 6.  When you hit "+", you add that race replay to your favorites (under MKTV).

#243 pitfallharry219   Salty milk & pennies CAGiversary!   11459 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

pitfallharry219

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

MK8 is fun but they've neutered the game/series so much (it's damn near Mario Kart for Dummies at this point) it hasn't really been calling my name to come and play after the initial first week high.

You're right. I, too, long for the time when it was a realistic racing sim.

pitfall_harry219.png

#244 aFrostyONE   Randal the Vandal aint got nothing on me... CAGiversary!   2312 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

aFrostyONE

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

Maybe you're talking about your favorites?  I believe you can have up to 6.  When you hit "+", you add that race replay to your favorites (under MKTV).

Maybe I did it without realizing it.  

But it seems to always to have the 2nd star filled in, regardless of the track I'm on.

Current Playlist:

:wiiu:  +++++  Mario Kart 8 vs. Smash Bros - What could go wrong              :3ds:  +++++   SteamWorld Dig - oh so good!

:360:  +++++  South Park: Stickin it to the Man - or whatever it's called           :xb1:  +++++  Tomb RaiderWhat!!! So I never played it the 1st time round

:ps4:  +++++  Destiny - the game sooo VICE, I've bought it Thrice                    :ps3:  +++++  Destiny - The game you hate to love, cuz it loves to hate you...

#245 DetectiveConanA113  

DetectiveConanA113

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:45 AM

I agree about MK8 being Mario Kart for dummies. It amazes me when I can win 1st place 3-6 times in a row online..

I broke 3k and had one of those moments where I just reeled back, reflected, and decided to take a walk. Game got it's hooks in me bad. I've been off for a while now, but I think I'ma try to hop on a bit more often. Need to get in on these CAG race nights.

See, 3k is a totally fine number. I just broke 3k yesterday. Players who have 3k just make think they played the game like me: played for a few days almost straight, then casually played every once in a while for a few races & took a break.
But then today I see people with 7k & 8k?? That's insane.
However, today I realized that you get more points for playing against people, & winning/getting in the top 7, with 3k points & up though. So I admit I might be wrong thinking that those with 7k & up have way too much time on their hands. Maybe they're just constantly playing with those higher ranked people.

#246 Corvin   ...of Gilead CAGiversary!   4998 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:41 AM

You're right. I, too, long for the time when it was a realistic racing sim.

exactly what I was going for.

Just a few things removed from the series to balance it for noobs:

- hold item 1 and pick up item 2

- forcing an item to 'pop' to use it faster

- no manual power slide, timed instead

- no upside down question block to hide amongst the real blocks

- no chance of pulling out of a banana slide

- not positive on this one, but I don't recall grass killing all momentum/power slides as bad as it does in this one

they've also widened most of the courses so far you could fit 8 karts wide.  Little chance of ever driving off course.

#247 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   3657 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

Falling off the stages also has a much faster recovery time in MK8, which is great for me on Rainbow Road! Also, the blue shell doesn't seem quite as devastating (in addition to being "defeatable" now).

#248 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   13225 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago   Has been playing Bayonetta 2
Wii U

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

I do miss the old method for power sliding (moving the control stick back and forth), I still do that out of habit sometimes.

#249 aFrostyONE   Randal the Vandal aint got nothing on me... CAGiversary!   2312 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

aFrostyONE

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:50 PM

^ I still do that too, but so I can drag out a power slide move until I trigger the more powerful boost

Current Playlist:

#250 UndyingForce   The Host with the Most CAGiversary!   423 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

UndyingForce

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:58 AM

I do miss the old method for power sliding (moving the control stick back and forth), I still do that out of habit sometimes.

Wait...this doesn't work in MK 8?
3DS Friend code: 1848-2470-1258

Sell/Trade List:
Guides: Metroid Zero Mission, Rogue Squadron, Eternal Darkness, F-Zero GX, SoulCalibur II (BradyGames)

PIN #s for Club Nintendo: Mario Kart DS

#251 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5913 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:46 AM

all games are going mainstream welcome to the current world of gaming this game is still amazing fun

#252 dothog   n ur race snakin mai kart CAGiversary!   2648 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

exactly what I was going for.

Just a few things removed from the series to balance it for noobs:

- hold item 1 and pick up item 2

- forcing an item to 'pop' to use it faster

- no manual power slide, timed instead

- no upside down question block to hide amongst the real blocks

- no chance of pulling out of a banana slide

- not positive on this one, but I don't recall grass killing all momentum/power slides as bad as it does in this one

they've also widened most of the courses so far you could fit 8 karts wide.  Little chance of ever driving off course.

At this point, it's hard to assess what constitutes a "real" karting game. SMK, MK64, and MKDD (to a lesser extent) established what I considered karting. However, between MKDS, MKWii, MK7, and MK8, Nintendo have redefined the genre. There's as many games under the "new" style of karting as there were under the old style.

pitfallharriet had said she wanted a "realistic racing sim," and I think she's pointing to SMK-style karting.  While I want SMK-style, I don't want "realistic racing," because it's not what the original MK karting experience was IMO. I just want a title that requires you're as good at the karting mechanics as you are running into boxes and pressing the use item button. I feel that a player who doesn't use any items should still have a shot a victory. Furthermore, if an item puts them over another skilled competitor, that item should be skill-based (well-timed shell or well-placed banana, for instance).

But the genre as-is doesn't reward karting skill anymore. It's all item frequency and item use on incredibly wide tracks. And if you fall off the track? You're back in an instant, there's hardly any penalty to avoiding the fast lines in the track and going wherever the hell you please.

The crazy thing is that this isn't Nintendo thinking it knows better -- the general Nintendo fanbase wants it to be easy and bland (I was wrong in assuming, long ago, that they didn't). I say this because of the outcry over "fire hopping." Committed would-be karters find something that takes a modicum of skill, and the immediate response is, "HACKING! CHEAT!" It's pathetic, the online presence makes it so that the least-skilled players get to judge the extent of the mechanics, and that's the audience N will listen to as it's the majority. So the games will become even more dumbed down, i.e. less reliant on a mastery of karting skill and track knowledge and more reliant on haphazardly steering into a box and pressing L or X.

Oh, and this isn't all presumption. I learned my lesson on MKWii and haven't bought one since, but I gave MK8 a good 40 minutes of play at the mall. That was all I needed. RIP karting games, I loved you. I still have SMK, MK64, and MKDD, but when I try to get the kids to play with me, they look at me like it might as well be magnavox pong. They're officially "old man" games.

The MK story put me off Nintendo entirely...taken all together, it's my biggest disappointment as a life-long gamer. I feel bad for the gamers who've put many hours into MK8, as I think they'd really enjoy a karting title with the more nuanced control and skill requirements of SMK or MK64.

Posted ImagePosted Image