Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze-New Mountain Dew flavor!

Erad30

CAGiversary!
I stole that from someone, can't remember who...

[youtube]http://youtu.be/UhPllZovRhc[/youtube]

I was excited to see another DKC, the game looks great. I'm hoping for water levels, as there weren't any in DKCR(looks like there's one swimming segment in the trailer). But maybe the title will change between now and release, it's terrible.

I was excited to see another DKC, the game looks great. I'm hoping for water levels, as there weren't any in DKCR(looks like there's one swimming segment in the trailer).
This one picture makes me more excited for the water levels than anything else (even if we do have to suck air bubbles a la Sonic). David Wise as a composer brings even more hope to this.

9033862137_3d55661158_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother is lucky enough to be testing the game for retro studios. He says the game is really good so far. Can't wait for this to come out!

Appearantly somewhere down the line this game dropped to $50 from $60. Hopefully Nintendo continues to do this.

Yeah, I see this as an effort to distribute the release schedule and not much to do with development time.  Not a big deal either way, Super Mario 3D World looks more than adequate thanks to the new trailer.

Yeah, I always viewed the release dates for SM3DW and DKTF as cannibalistic, so the delay is welcome.  Plus it will help prevent another content drought in the first quarter.

Since Nintendo doesn't do retailer-specific DLC, they haven't had many pre-order stuff in recent years. I think the only thing that could even be considered pre-order bonuses were the various Pokemon downloads, which didn't even need a pre-order.

Just a friendly reminder that today is the last day to complete the Intend to Buy survey on Club Nintendo for Tropical Freeze (both digital and physical copies), so if you do plan on buying, make sure you do that today.

What happened to the days when Nintendo used to offer Banana looking N64 controls with a preorder of the game?

This looks fantastic.  I won't buy it for a while though as I'm in the middle of Super Mario 3D World, need to finish up unlocking stuff in NSMBU and haven't touched NSLU, and have Rayman Legends on the shelf.  So I'm covered on Wii U platformers for a while. :D

Will definitely grab this once some of those are cleared out or it's under $40.  I haven't played DKCR, but I don't know that I'll bother with it as I'd rather just play this one and not get further burnt out on platformers.

This looks fantastic. I won't buy it for a while though as I'm in the middle of Super Mario 3D World, need to finish up unlocking stuff in NSMBU and haven't touched NSLU, and have Rayman Legends on the shelf. So I'm covered on Wii U platformers for a while. :D

Will definitely grab this once some of those are cleared out or it's under $40. I haven't played DKCR, but I don't know that I'll bother with it as I'd rather just play this one and not get further burnt out on platformers.
You should pick up DKCR on Wii for $22 at NFM.com you can get your local Bestbuy Price match it

Bought the game, I was going to wait but my god the game looked amazing. If you liked DKC: Returns, this is the sequel to that game that is better in every way. Plus it looks fantastic.

Even though I still don't own a Wii U, I can't wait to play this game, and I've been addicted to listening to the music.  Every song I've heard so far has been at worst simple yet catchy to amazingly awesome (I knew David Wise wouldn't disappoint).

Of the new original tracks, my faves so far are Seashore War (Chilly Coast), Scorch 'N' Torch, Snomad's Theme, and Amiss Abyss.

David did some excellent remakes / remixes of Aquatic Ambience, Stickerbrush Symphony, and Fear Factory as well.  I hope I'm not spoiling myself some of the magic when I first play it, though.

The music was the only thing that was lacking in DKCR (still good, just not great), so as long as TF keeps all the gameplay goodness intact, this will more than likely be one of the top Wii U games for me personally.

I got this from Gamefly and it is indeed a lot of fun. I'm a little worried about how hard it's going to get later on, though. :)

Yeah the music in this game is superb.  Really catchy tracks, it makes the game even more fun to play. 

Probably going to be hard to go back to DKCR after playing through Tropical Freeze. 

Been playing this game all weekend.  Really enjoying it though I miss the animal friends (outside of Rambi).  Also miss the humor and gritty graphical style but the game play holds up well and is challenging.  Probably a little too challenging for my 6 year old though.  I end up carrying him through most of it.

Been playing this game all weekend. Really enjoying it though I miss the animal friends (outside of Rambi). Also miss the humor and gritty graphical style but the game play holds up well and is challenging. Probably a little too challenging for my 6 year old though. I end up carrying him through most of it.
It's not just him being 6, co-op also makes the game more difficult.

Ok, I've heard most all of the tracks on TF, and here are two more I'd like to add to my previous list (dare I say my top two songs?):

Forest Folly:  The first 45 seconds or so is some of David Wise's best melodic compositions I've heard, while the rest is excellent ambient music. My personal equivalent to Aquatic Ambience and Stickerbrush Symphony for TF.

http://youtu.be/di6VFegOMfk

Wing Ding:  My personal favorite for the upbeat tracks on here, sounds like it was taken directly out of DKC2, love the accordion sections.  Also loving the transistion of the song at 2:45, really adds some depth to an already awesome song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEId-ERa0M0

Now I just need to buy a damn Wii U and DKCTF...

Necrobump since I finally got this game recently and started playing it, but man it really is incredible.  Sure its "just another 2D hop n' bop platformer" and its not Prime 4 from Retro, but damn if it is isn't the most refined game of its type I've played in awhile.  I'm only up to world 3, but each level always finds some way to induce some pure joy out of me, whether it be the detailed levels (both back and foreground), cool secrets, excellent music, or just because the levels are just plain fun to play (Grassland Groove, I'm looking at you!) .

People complain that its just another sequel and more of the same from Retro, but honestly there is more than enough charm and attention to the little things that make it entirely worth it.  To compare it to another Nintendo franchise, SMG2 was another more of the same experience, but everyone lauded it as the best of the best on offer.  While it was good, it wasn't unique enough to push through the dejavu moments IMO.  Maybe going from Wii to Wii U helped differentiate DKCTF better, but I think that would be oversimplifying the work put into it.

Plus I'm loving the time attack improvements, I would of loved to have my best times recorded on DKCR if it was available then.  Overall very happy with this game, and its living up to my expectations thus far.

I agree. I'm not one to collect everything in games but I got all the KONG letters and puzzle pieces then started going through the time attacks. Game of the Year for 2014.

This game rocks. I really don't understand some of the hate for the game. It's probably my favorite 2D platformer of all time. (Almost) Perfect in my eyes.

I just think it's too much of the same...not enough sequel difference. That's not always a bad thing, and I realize you'll never make everyone happy, but after liking the first one alot we just couldn't bring ourselves to get more than halfway through it before moving on to another game.

So one of the Platinum rewards for Club Nintendo this year is Tropical Freeze DL, didn't think they would give away such a high profile release that's just over one year old (thought NSMB Wii U would at least be one of the options).  At least this will give more people an opportunity to play it, still enjoying it to the fullest (although slowly plodding along).

bread's done
Back