XBOX points expiring 1 year after conversion to local currency

Viva Las Vegas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
This really sucks. I stacked up on a bunch of points as I love the Live Arcade games and such and never figured in a million years MS would screw up so much to make me want to avoid the XONE. Canadians and probably Europeans are protected form this kind of "free market" bullshit. Hope some type of consumer protection would help people from losing points we paid for due to some brand fucking new policy change after the fact.

www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/54533/your-microsoft-points-will-expire-within-one-year-when-microsoft-transitions-to-local-currency

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say I'm surprised.

When my account got hacked (during that period where many people's accounts were due to some exploit on the site), they gave me "promotional" points to replace my 1600 store bought points. Of course, I didn't know the deal with promotional points and found out mine expired when I went to use them.

It would have been nice to have been emailed about it beforehand, but I guess it's much easier to screw people people without telling them.

You will still be able to use your MS Points to purchase.  It'll just converted for you.  The news is going forward that they are not selling anymore point cards.

FYI - No more XBLA games.  A game is a game on Xbox ONE.  I'm sure they'll price it differently on future games that are similar to XBLA games. 

It's a little bit of a dick move but I guess this is how they are dealing with the people who exploited the $10 off promo a few weeks ago. I wonder how many people had vast amounts of MSP in their accounts before the promo fiasco?

A bit of underhandedness by trying to sneak this by consumers but I have little problem with it. I think I read that all OX releases will be be available day and date from Xbox Live and I would hope this would apply to 360 games as well. There are plenty of games/dlc I will want within the next 16 months. Not too worried.

Is it just me or are they going to get the shit sued out of them. Hey, my bank account suddenly zero'd out!

It's a little bit of a dick move but I guess this is how they are dealing with the people who exploited the $10 off promo a few weeks ago. I wonder how many people had vast amounts of MSP in their accounts before the promo fiasco?

A bit of underhandedness by trying to sneak this by consumers but I have little problem with it. I think I read that all OX releases will be be available day and date from Xbox Live and I would hope this would apply to 360 games as well. There are plenty of games/dlc I will want within the next 16 months. Not too worried.
All my points were bought legit. Don't assume everyone was exploiting some system. Total crap move by MS. No real excuse for it other than pure greed cashing in on point/cash balances. Seriously what legitimate reason to have the points/virtual currency expire? There is a reason Canada and other countries have protections in place for stuff like this.

All my points were bought legit. Don't assume everyone was exploiting some system. Total crap move by MS. No real excuse for it other than pure greed cashing in on point/cash balances. Seriously what legitimate reason to have the points/virtual currency expire? There is a reason Canada and other countries have protections in place for stuff like this.
If say that the people abusing that stuff represents an extremely small number of people.

If say that the people abusing that stuff represents an extremely small number of people.
So punish everyone.

So I am still a little confused about the point cards I have sitting on my desk. Should I hold onto them? Or will the somehow become inactive if I do not redeem them before they do the conversion. This could be a cluster of a transition.

Why do people think they are going after "exploiters" and this is the reason?

On one hand, it doesnt bother me since I will spend whats in my account.

On the other hand, why the hell do they need to do this? It seems crazy that they feel this is even necessary. Just another jab to Microsoft who seems to enjoy them.

Why do people think they are going after "exploiters" and this is the reason?

On one hand, it doesnt bother me since I will spend whats in my account.

On the other hand, why the hell do they need to do this? It seems crazy that they feel this is even necessary. Just another jab to Microsoft who seems to enjoy them.
It's just really really annoying. I mean, convert to cash? That sounds like a great idea. Your cash expires? THAT SOUNDS LIKE THEFT.

As stated earlier, it's a dick move. I don't understand why they feel the need to place an expiration date on converted points but it doesn't bother me because I plan on spending my points. If you can't find something to spend your points/currency on in 16 months, why bother with it in the first place. I see it as a agruement of principle that I don't see affecting me. I really wonder what their official statement regarding the reason behind the expiration.

Here is the official page:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billing-and-subscriptions/account-management/microsoft-points-retire-faq

Some tidbits:

How does this change affect me?  
You will begin using local currency or an Xbox Gift Card (denominated in your local currency) to buy music, games, videos, and more from your favorite Xbox stores. When you use your existing Microsoft Points to initiate a purchase or redeem a Points card with your Microsoft account later this year, we’ll deposit into your account an amount of money equal to or greater than the marketplace value of your Microsoft Points, and your Microsoft Points will be retired. The purchased funds you deposit into your account after the transition will not expire. However, the funds we deposit into your account at the time of the transition will expire one year from the deposit date.

Am I going to lose my Xbox LIVE Rewards? 
No. Microsoft Points that you've earned through Xbox Live Rewards will remain in your Xbox account and will transition to your local currency with the rest of your Microsoft Points. Prior to the transition, all your earned Pending Points will be deposited into your account.  Be sure to stay up to date with all the latest Xbox Live Rewards news at Xbox LIVE Rewardsor by following @XboxLIVErewards on Twitter.

What will happen to Microsoft Points Cards? 

Microsoft Points Cards will continue to be redeemable on your console and on Xbox.com throughout 2014 and for a limited time thereafter but will be discontinued after the launch of Xbox Gift Cards this fall. Please note that any funds we deposit into your account at the time of the transition will expire one year from the deposit date. Xbox Gift Cards, which will be denominated in your local currency, will be available for purchase in retail stores and through online retailers.

What if I have codes and/or Microsoft Points Cards that I haven’t redeemed? 

Go ahead and redeem them! Even after your account transitions, we’ll still accept purchased Microsoft Points Cards and codes through 2014 and for a limited time thereafter, and we’ll credit you an amount of currency equal to or greater than the Marketplace value of those points as we phase out the Microsoft Points program.

Which tax locale will be used in calculating my purchases? 

We will not apply taxes when you purchase digital content using funds that we deposit into your account at the time of the transition. However, when you use funds that you deposit into your account after the transition (including from Xbox Gift Cards, which will not be subject to tax at purchase), all appropriate taxes will be applied to those purchases based on the ship-to address for your account.

This totally sucks. I stocked up during Target's Black Friday sale plus I got some for Xmas. Could this be MS's way of getting people to buy the Xbox One and generating their on-line sale? This is just another reason I wouldn't want to buy the One but I may have no choice now. 

I just remembered something. A few years ago, when The Sharper Image decided to close, they announced that any outstanding Gift Card/Certificates would only be worth about 30% of their value, I think but definitely not full value. This pissed everyone off and their competitor Brookstone capitalized on it by saying they would give you the full value of the GC/Cert if you use it at their stores. Needless to say, people started to redeem them at Brookstone and The Sharper Image soon did a 180 and gave you full value. The Sharper Image had filed for bankruptcy at the time though.

This would be another blow for MS if Sony decided to do the same. Buy our new system and we'll give you the full value of your cards without an expiration date. MS would have to follow just to keep their customers.

This totally sucks. I stocked up during Target's Black Friday sale plus I got some for Xmas. Could this be MS's way of getting people to buy the Xbox One and generating their on-line sale? This is just another reason I wouldn't want to buy the One but I may have no choice now.

I just remembered something. A few years ago, when The Sharper Image decided to close, they announced that any outstanding Gift Card/Certificates would only be worth about 30% of their value, I think but definitely not full value. This pissed everyone off and their competitor Brookstone capitalized on it by saying they would give you the full value of the GC/Cert if you use it at their stores. Needless to say, people started to redeem them at Brookstone and The Sharper Image soon did a 180 and gave you full value. The Sharper Image had filed for bankruptcy at the time though.

This would be another blow for MS if Sony decided to do the same. Buy our new system and we'll give you the full value of your cards without an expiration date. MS would have to follow just to keep their customers.
Well you can still use it to buy things for the 360.

I just remembered something. A few years ago, when The Sharper Image decided to close, they announced that any outstanding Gift Card/Certificates would only be worth about 30% of their value, I think but definitely not full value. This pissed everyone off and their competitor Brookstone capitalized on it by saying they would give you the full value of the GC/Cert if you use it at their stores. Needless to say, people started to redeem them at Brookstone and The Sharper Image soon did a 180 and gave you full value. The Sharper Image had filed for bankruptcy at the time though.

Yes, but I doubt I would be able to use all my points within a year. I also usually wait for a sale. It's the CAG in me.

Yes, but I doubt I would be able to use all my points within a year. I also usually wait for a sale. It's the CAG in me.
Yeah that is the part I am not on board with. Those points/currency should never expire. If I let them rot on my account MS should never be allowed to touch them. They already have the money. I get to keep my digital currency.

This is absolutely ridiculous.  I haven't had an Xbox 360 in a few years (haven't had time for much gaming, which is why I sold it).  There was like 8000 points on my account that I have been slowly using on Zune for a song every now and then.  I guess I will be purchasing a lot of overpriced music on Zune Marketplace in the very near future.....

P.S.  Would be nice if I could gift the points on my account to friends, as I have a bunch that still play their 360s

Wow more anti-consumer policies from MSFT.  I think I am done with them even on the xbox 360.  I will just sell my point cards and live cards and start buying on PSN.  It is like they are going out of their way to screw the customer.  One would think they were targeting the casual gamer who might nor know about the draconian policy changes until they bought the system but with a price of $499 I don't see a ton of people impulse buying.  I can't wait to try to the new PS4 controller because the dualshock versus the xbox controller and PSN/LIve was the prime reason I used my xbox so much this generation. 

Wow more anti-consumer policies from MSFT. I think I am done with them even on the xbox 360. I will just sell my point cards and live cards and start buying on PSN. It is like they are going out of their way to screw the customer. One would think they were targeting the casual gamer who might nor know about the draconian policy changes until they bought the system but with a price of $499 I don't see a ton of people impulse buying. I can't wait to try to the new PS4 controller because the dualshock versus the xbox controller and PSN/LIve was the prime reason I used my xbox so much this generation.
Yeah if the PS4 controller is nice I won't even have any hesitations leaving MS behind now.

You've got to be freaking kidding me, this doesn't seem any different from outright theft. I have some points left in my account I can't use as well as a bunch of 1200 point codes from the microsoft store sale, even if I got them at a discount you're telling me the items I PAID for are just going to become useless if I don't use them in a certain amount of time? Well at least on the bright side I can still sell the codes since I have yet to redeem them, which sucks for a friend of mine because he redeemed all his codes and now has over 10000 in his account that he is now FORCED to spend or else he loses them. I'm really starting to get sick of their greedy anti-consumer policies.

Since I'm not getting a One any time soon and I'm sure 360 XBLA releases are going to dry up quite a bit, this is especially a bullshit move. Also good point about cards. I think I have a 1600 pt card I need to redeem yet. I guess I'd better do so in case they don't accept it after the switchover.

Since I'm not getting a One any time soon and I'm sure 360 XBLA releases are going to dry up quite a bit, this is especially a bullshit move. Also good point about cards. I think I have a 1600 pt card I need to redeem yet. I guess I'd better do so in case they don't accept it after the switchover.
What will happen to Microsoft Points Cards?

Microsoft Points Cards will continue to be redeemable on your console and on Xbox.com throughout 2014 and for a limited time thereafter but will be discontinued after the launch of Xbox Gift Cards this fall. Please note that any funds we deposit into your account at the time of the transition will expire one year from the deposit date. Xbox Gift Cards, which will be denominated in your local currency, will be available for purchase in retail stores and through online retailers.

I am not sure how many points one hoards where it becomes an issue in using them within a year and a half from now. Not for nothing, but when one hoards an item, in this case points, one should be prepared for the possibility that something will change and you may not make out as well as you thought you were going to. At this point there are plenty of stories of gift cards expriring or charging for inactivity. I realize it's not optimal, but it is what it is. M$ isn't going to change it back, so make the best of it. If it makes you too upset to continue using M$ products, so be it. Just don't buy a One and live your life as happy as you can.

I have about 12000 M$ points saved up, but with Summer of Arcade coming, I'm sure they'll be long gone. I don't have a problem here because I have never purchased so many of one item that spending it would be an issue. What would you have done if Microsoft decided they were going to discontinue their consoles and get out of the video game business all together? When you buy in advance, you're playing the odds. The CAG in you will find ways to reclaim it in the future, but for now, the house is taking a little back.

Personally, I think it's a stupid move on their part to be rid of M$ points. Putting a real dollar value to a game makes it much easier for people to say no to purchasing it, where as made up values that are not easily calculated to dollars makes it much easier to spend 800 points without thinking about the true cost of those 800 points. I'm willing to bet that impulse purchases and useless items like avatar gear or themes will fall back by large quantities.

Anyway, I don't mean to offend, but all I hear is bitching and moaning about the new consoles and changes the big guys are making. They are money making corporations that care nothing about what the little people think. Sales are the only things that matter. As sad as it would make me to give it up, I will walk away from video games when they reach a point that I'm not happy with. I imagine by the next console release, all will be digital, and the collector in me will not want to pay $60 for something that isn't tangible.

I'm pretty sure in some states, they legally have to give you the equivalent gift card value in cash if you ask for it. Since that is essentially the type of format they are moving to, I imagine that law applies.

I'm pretty sure in some states, they legally have to give you the equivalent gift card value in cash if you ask for it. Since that is essentially the type of format they are moving to, I imagine that law applies.
They are. In some states/countries they'll have trouble with the expiration date but as far as value is concerned they are free and clear.

really crappy rule if you ask me. however, its good thay have given such a large warning, and will allow people to use their points.
i imagine there will be cheap points in retailers close to expiration date, as they have to get rid of them. that will be good to see

You guys got it wrong...

"You will begin using local currency or an Xbox Gift Card (denominated in your local currency) to buy music, games, videos, and more from your favorite Xbox stores. When you use your existing Microsoft Points to initiate a purchase or redeem a Points card with your Microsoft account later this year, we’ll deposit into your account an amount of money equal to or greater than the marketplace value of your Microsoft Points, and your Microsoft Points will be retired. The purchased funds you deposit into your account after the transition will not expire. However, the funds we deposit into your account at the time of the transition will expire one year from the deposit date."

This only applies to what is on your account when they transfer it. So if you have a bunch of XBOX points cards wait till after the transition to redeem them.

We're not getting robbed calm down.

I am not sure how many points one hoards where it becomes an issue in using them within a year and a half from now. Not for nothing, but when one hoards an item, in this case points, one should be prepared for the possibility that something will change and you may not make out as well as you thought you were going to. At this point there are plenty of stories of gift cards expriring or charging for inactivity. I realize it's not optimal, but it is what it is. M$ isn't going to change it back, so make the best of it. If it makes you too upset to continue using M$ products, so be it. Just don't buy a One and live your life as happy as you can.
Just replace hoards points with hoards CASH and ask if this should be a problem? These points are CASH in digital form. Its like my bank telling me if I don't spend my savings in a year they get to keep it...maybe not EXACTLY but pretty dam close.

You guys got it wrong...

"You will begin using local currency or an Xbox Gift Card (denominated in your local currency) to buy music, games, videos, and more from your favorite Xbox stores. When you use your existing Microsoft Points to initiate a purchase or redeem a Points card with your Microsoft account later this year, we’ll deposit into your account an amount of money equal to or greater than the marketplace value of your Microsoft Points, and your Microsoft Points will be retired. The purchased funds you deposit into your account after the transition will not expire. However, the funds we deposit into your account at the time of the transition will expire one year from the deposit date."

This only applies to what is on your account when they transfer it. So if you have a bunch of XBOX points cards wait till after the transition to redeem them.

Unless you already have 12,000 points on your account.

Just replace hoards points with hoards CASH and ask if this should be a problem? These points are CASH in digital form. Its like my bank telling me if I don't spend my savings in a year they get to keep it...maybe not EXACTLY but pretty dam close.

You guys got it wrong...

Unless you already have 12,000 points on your account.
12000 = $150.00

I would seriously use that to purchase 2 games for the XBOX ONE after the transfer and not before.

You guys got it wrong...

No, you pay for something and it is taken from you for nothing in return, that is robbery. Sounds like you got it wrong. I made the mistake of putting almost all of my point cards onto my account figuring that way I wouldn't have to worry about losing the point cards.

You guys got it wrong...

No, you pay for something and it is taken from you for nothing in return, that is robbery. Sounds like you got it wrong. I made the mistake of putting almost all of my point cards onto my account figuring that way I wouldn't have to worry about losing the point cards.
No. Positive I didn't get it wrong. I can read just fine.

It's not robbery at all. It's a warning that any points not used on your account will

1. Be transformed into actual currency (like everybody complained they wanted)

2. Will (for some reason) need to be used in 12 months (assuming you have any) .

3. Will not expire after this initial transfer.

Simple.

Just use the original transfer points at some point during the next 16 months so you don't get "robbed" lol.

Ok, they want to phase out MS points but why bother converting them? You have the option to use real world currency or MS points for purchases right now. If and when your point balance gets below 80 then they can round up and convert that to $1.

What I really don't like is the expiration period. Yes, I bought multiple point cards for the future but unless the company goes out of business they should be good for the value on the card. Will I be able to spend my points within a year? Sure, but I shouldn't have to worry if I don't. I rarely buy physical games at full price, let alone paying full price for a digital copy.

Ok, they want to phase out MS points but why bother converting them? You have the option to use real world currency or MS points for purchases right now. If and when your point balance gets below 80 then they can round up and convert that to $1.

What I really don't like is the expiration period. Yes, I bought multiple point cards for the future but unless the company goes out of business they should be good for the value on the card. Will I be able to spend my points within a year? Sure, but I shouldn't have to worry if I don't. I rarely buy physical games at full price, let alone paying full price for a digital copy.
That's not how it works.

If you stocked up on cards, but you did not redeem them yet, you're totally good. If you just hold onto those as long as you want redeeming them after the conversion you loose nothing if you don't use them and the converted points do not expire.

If you were to redeem those same points before the conversion and let them sit there on your account, they will be automatically converted and then you will have 12 months to use the automatically converted points.

I have a ton of points that I am just going to use on Xbox One games and I am thrilled I am able to do that.
Yeah. It's a first.

Day one I'm downloading one game the moment I get home from Best Buy and that will be the way I get my games from then on.

I have a ton of points that I am just going to use on Xbox One games and I am thrilled I am able to do that.
Yeah. It's a first.

Day one I'm downloading one game the moment I get home from Best Buy and that will be the way I get my games from then on.
Same here. I have over $400 dollars in MSP so that's my plan for the first year or so. I'll probably pre-order a few titles as well.

Yeah. It's a first.

Same here. I have over $400 dollars in MSP so that's my plan for the first year or so. I'll probably pre-order a few titles as well.
That's what's keeping my preorder alive. 3 years of live and tons of points.

Ok, they want to phase out MS points but why bother converting them? You have the option to use real world currency or MS points for purchases right now. If and when your point balance gets below 80 then they can round up and convert that to $1.

That's not how it works.

If you stocked up on cards, but you did not redeem them yet, you're totally good. If you just hold onto those as long as you want redeeming them after the conversion you loose nothing if you don't use them and the converted points do not expire.

If you were to redeem those same points before the conversion and let them sit there on your account, they will be automatically converted and then you will have 12 months to use the automatically converted points.
Yes, I understand but I'll still have to redeem the cards sometime by early 2015. It's still at minimum 19 months but I just don't like to redeem the cards until I actually need them. I don't have time to play as much so I don't see myself spending that much on digital games. I just don't see the downside to having both methods of payment available and when they do phase out the MS points cards everyone will eventually be using real currency once the points are used up.

People wonder why nobody trusts Microsoft.  It's things like this.  Why if they convert points to cash does that cash expire?  It makes no sense and it just another one of Microsofts many cash grabs.  And then we are supposed to trust them on all aspects of pricing in a closed system?   :rofl:

And NYC10004, why are you defending this??  What benefit is this to you, are you a Microsoft shill or something?  This is about as anti consumer as you can get, in fact I think it's illegal as it may fall under the Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure (CARD) Act.

People wonder why nobody trusts Microsoft. It's things like this. Why if they convert points to cash does that cash expire? It makes no sense and it just another one of Microsofts many cash grabs. And then we are supposed to trust them on all aspects of pricing in a closed system? :rofl:

And NYC10004, why are you defending this?? What benefit is this to you, are you a Microsoft shill or something? This is about as anti consumer as you can get, in fact I think it's illegal as it may fall under the Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure (CARD) Act.
...Typical

No man, I'm not defending anything. I'm just sick of people presenting lies as the truth and then acting like complete idiots. If you're going to be mad about something be mad about something real.

What are the lies? A few people on here keep bitching when actual MS policies are being discussed.
Giving companies push back on terrible policy is not bitching. And why any consumer would tell another not to voice their concerns about said policy that doesn't have any consumer advantage is baffling.

What are the lies? A few people on here keep bitching when actual MS policies are being discussed.
Giving companies push back on terrible policy is not bitching. And why any consumer would tell another not to voice their concerns about said policy that doesn't have any consumer advantage is baffling.
I was talking about NYC10004 saying people were lying about MS policies, when in fact the complaints are about the factual MS shitty policies.

I was talking about NYC10004 saying people were lying about MS policies, when in fact the complaints are about the factual MS shitty policies.
Are you serious? You think that clarifying something that is not true is defending Microsoft? You think that pointing out that what was said, to have been said, was not said is defending them and their policies? Where I come from it's called basic reading comprehension.

Does it suck? Sure. Is MS getting rid of points bad for consumers? Yep. But compared to the other bullshit they've pulled over the last month, this is nothing. You have 180 dollars in points that you paid a fraction of the cost on? Good going. I think you can probably find something to spend it on in the next year and a half.

I finally had some downtime last night and did a bit of legal research. Currently MS TOS states that points never expire, which is the industry standard. This has become the standard because it is easier to use a blanket policy to comply with varying state laws. Every state has different laws with regards to gift-card and gift certificate expiration. Quite a few states do not allow for gift cards to expire unless the company goes out of business. So, IMO I think MS will have to adjust this policy or they'll have to deal with many lawsuits.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I haven't had an Xbox 360 in a few years (haven't had time for much gaming, which is why I sold it). There was like 8000 points on my account that I have been slowly using on Zune for a song every now and then. I guess I will be purchasing a lot of overpriced music on Zune Marketplace in the very near future.....

P.S. Would be nice if I could gift the points on my account to friends, as I have a bunch that still play their 360s
that's what you get for using zune tbh

bread's done
Back