Links in posts that redirect traffic

dothog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I've noticed this off and on as I posted at CAG and always wondered about it, but never bothered to ask.  A CAG search didn't turn up anything useful, so here we go...

Occasionally when links are posted in threads, Ghostery (I use Firefox) will block those links as a redirect.  If I copy and paste the full link out into a text document, it will be prefaced by a domain I don't recognize (e.g. "dpbolvw.net") and some additional text prior to the portion of the link containing references to the actual domain hosting the info relevant to the thread.  The actual link cannot be recovered, at least not easily, as the portion of the redirect link will mangle the URL in such a way as to make recovery difficult (e.g. "url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fsite%2FGames-Promotions%2FMario-Kart-BallsOut%2Fpcmcat303600050002.c%3Fid%3Dpcmcat303600050002")

Again, this really isn't a big deal to me...I simply don't click on redirect links.  That doesn't prevent me from wondering about them.  My guess is they're monetizing that tiny bit of traffic somehow.  What I'm wondering about is the cash flow in it.  Is this a per user thing -- that is, does the user who posted the redirect get the cash?  Or is this something that CAG automatically does to every 3rd, 4th, 10th, etc. link that's posted to monetize content? 

Last edited by a moderator:
CAG does it automatically for any link posted to a website that they're an affiliate for. More info here.

dpbolvw.net links are Commission Junction links. So that's CAG's link to a site that uses CJ for their affiliate program. Sites like Newegg, Best Buy, Gamefly, etc use CJ for their affiliates.

There are other affiliate networks like Linkshare, PepperJam, etc. that other retailers can use for their affiliate programs. They all have their different respective links.

Amazon hosts its own affiliate program, so links to them should always say Amazon in them.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back