Number of accounts limit on a PS3 (not at same time)

PlanetIndigo

CAGiversary!
I already know you can only have a maximum of 16 user accounts at once on any PS3. However, I read a while back something about a 64 (I believe that was the number) limit of user accounts usable during the lifetime of a single PS3. Is there any truth to that? Is there a maximum number of user accounts (and tied PSN accounts) that can be created on the same PS3, even if you start to delete them? If so, does it make a difference if you create the PSN account on the PS3, or do it through the PC then "log on as existing user" on the PS3?

I'd like to hear from people who have had a ton of different users on the very same PS3 and if anyone has experienced such a limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't reached the limit on my console yet, but I believe 64 is simply the limit to accounts created on the console itself. This means that you would have to create additional accounts through their website, or on another device in order to activate the account on the console which had reached it's limit.

I haven't reached the limit on my console yet, but I believe 64 is simply the limit to accounts created on the console itself. This means that you would have to create additional accounts through their website, or on another device in order to activate the account on the console which had reached it's limit.
So, just to clarify, you mean a PSN account, right, not a user account? Can you create more than 64 user accounts in the life of the system?

So to get it straight, I could create 1000 PSN account using a PC browser, create 16 user accounts on the PS3, associate those 16 accounts to 16 of the 1000 PSN accounts, then once I'm done with those 16 user accounts, delete them on the PS3, then create 16 more user accounts on the PS3, associate them ("log in as existing user") with 16 OTHER of the 1000 PSN accounts, etc, etc without being stopped once I reach 64 user accounts associated with 64 PSN accounts. Do I have that right? So basically, it's ONLY the "create a new PSN account" option during the log-in of a new user that is limited to 64 per console?

Because I live up to the name of this forum and you can get 1 free month of PS+ in the Home E3 booth right now. :)

EDIT: meh, nevermind. You can no longer stack 1 month PS+ subscriptions. It used to work as late as last year so I guess they must have changed it recently.

Because I live up to the name of this forum and you can get 1 free month of PS+ in the Home E3 booth right now. :)

EDIT: meh, nevermind. You can no longer stack 1 month PS+ subscriptions. It used to work as late as last year so I guess they must have changed it recently.
It takes a lot of time and effort to create an email, create an account and do all the quests in Home just for a 1 month trial. I can't see someone going out of their way like that to exploit this, but more power to you if you have the time and energy.

All thx to that IGN fiasco :D
I'm not familiar with that, care to shed more details on what happened then?

It takes a lot of time and effort to create an email, create an account and do all the quests in Home just for a 1 month trial. I can't see someone going out of their way like that to exploit this, but more power to you if you have the time and energy.
Well, I was planning to do it a couple times and time myself and proceed from there. You don't need to create an email account since they require no confirmation. Creating a PSN account on PC doesnt take more than 3mn, and you don't need to do all the quests in Home to receive the PS+ code, just the first 6 or so. I think you could streamline the whole process to around 20mn per code, maybe even a little faster, if you did it a few times. In any case, it won't work since they can't be stacked anymore.

bread's done
Back