GGT 94 Pirated Fallout 3, LBP, Far Cry 2, and Dead Space; But Paid For Castlevania.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Talk about shoot-em ups, trade games (shoot-em ups), and anything that deals with shoot-em ups.

I enjoy shoot-em ups alot. I recently went on a shoot-em up playing binge. I played radiant silvergun, striker 1945, thunder spirits, super star soldier 64, castle shigkami, and r-type delta and I can't stop buying/playing them. :)

Shumup
http://www.shmups.com/
Gradius
http://www.gamestone.co.uk/gradius/index.php
Thunderforce
http://www.thunderforce-fan.com/
Super soldier
http://www.classicgaming.com/review...starsoldier.htm

Gradius (one life replay)

http://ikaruga.co.uk/files/BenShino...les/gradius.wmv

Mode Arcade/Saturn - normal difficulty - Loop 1

Got it from shumups.com

www.classicgaming.com/gradius
The Gradius Base - THE place to go if you want definitive info on the Gradius series. Can't believe I hadn't linked there until now. Cheers Trevor

www.shootthecore.com
Roger Post's shootthecore.com - while shmups handles the reviews, core tries to cover everything else. Fan faction, humor, graphics, and articles dealing with the shmup genre, this is where everything "else" shooter related on the web winds up. Do NOT miss Roger's PC shmup database listing - it's huge!

www.ikaruga.co.uk
Your official Ikaruga source on the web. Find videos, scoreboards, forums, and more at this site dedicated to one of the best shooters of all time.

innit.ukgamer.net/contradb/
Looking for info on Contra series? Try this! - The Contra Database!

www.emuxhaven.net/~silver/index.htm
Been caught staring vacantly at the attract mode of RSG? Welcome to the ultimate site of Radiant Silvergun Translations!!

www.eckychap.co.uk
That nice man Leeram at www.eckychap.co.uk has collected many demonstration and superplay shmup videos to download... click on the videos link on the menu! Massive respect!

www.shmup.com
Meant to do this a while back, but better late than never! Absolutely lovely and comprehensive site for french speaking shmuppers - its nice just to look at even if you don't speak french

www.world-of-arcades.com
The Sheep's utterly brilliant bunch of pages dedicated to Cave, Raizing and Psikyo shmups. Loads of in-depth info here, really amazing!

www.zone.ee/rtype
Fan-site of Irem's most revered shooter - R-Type! All information about every game from these series.

www.puppygames.net
Alien Flux - "you must rescue the Fluffies as malevolent Bubbles attempt to turn them into lime jelly" - that's all you need to know. A puppy is for life, not just for Christmas.

www.geocities.com/hugedb/
Huge Darius Bosses Website Approaching Fast! Be on your guard for this astonishingly compulsive site all about Darius bosses from somebody obviously pleasingly psychotic. Me like it.

www.pompom.org.uk
Home of Mutant Storm and SpaceTripper - featuring sick-inducing visuals and frantic twitchy gameplay that we like!

www.solvalou.com
Arttu's site with lots of arcade info - very highly recommended for shmup pcb dipswitch settings!

www.wayoftherodent.com
It's good. All shmuphamsters roll this way into a site more intense than warioware.

www.stickycarpet.com
A place for me and my mates pinx, mikeb and garfra to call home. My section has info about my pcb collection and various other stuff.

www.stickycarpet.com/dam
MikeB's fabulous Destroy All Monsters!!

www.triggerzone.de
Carsten's wonderfully comprehensive shootemups site, which makes me want to learn German right now... truly fab!

www.shmups.com/beepreying
"Beepreying, secrets of the shooting game!!" Helped my love of DoDonPachi through some hard times

www.angelfire.com/ri/returns/nippon.html
PepsimanVsJoe's site dedicated to 2D fan-made shooters!!

symphony.gamersgraveyard.com
Symphony of Bullets - replays and shmup scoring mechanics!

shmups.978.org
Jef's #shmups channel fansite. Features #shmups IRC stats, people pages, #shmups topics and competition hiscores, and an events page.

nfg.2y.net/games
Neogeoman's homepage - lots of shmups and modding and other game stockpiling craziness going on here.

www.rf-emporium.net
Alluro's RF Emporium - Serving Raiden Fighters and Strikers 1945 fans since April 4, 2000

www.sirkain.net/~kiken
Kiken's site with some amazing replays and strategies!

www.goat.se/suds/
SUDS stands for Skjuta Upp Dom Spel, which is a translation of shmups into Swedish.

homepage.ntlworld.com/neomrdoh
"..not exactly mainstream"

www.thundercross.freeserve.co.uk/index.htm
Thundercross: The arcade shoot-em-up site

blazinglazers.gamersgraveyard.com/replay
replay@blazinglasers. this site is designed to be a resource of information for players and a guide for the games covered, as well as a ground for you shmuppers to strut your stuff and to have a bit of fun.

www.pluto.dti.ne.jp/~sprite
Spritesoft - A Japanese page with some great preview downloads of shooters. Wish I could understand Japanese.

www.smallrockets.com/index_main.htm
Small Rockets, the makers of Iron Monkey, has just recently added another demo for a new shootemup along the lines of IM that saves your high scores on the internet!

www.siterskain.com
The company that brought you KAMUI and soon to bring you REFLEX. Need I say more?

www.midnightsynergy.com
Patrick Maidorn makes his own games - Check out Midnight Synergy and download his shmup Intensity XS! A neat little game where you use the mouse (!) to control your ship!

home.netvigator.com/~tarot
Alan Kwan's Page, with some great reviews: especially Assault, Twinkle Star Sprites, Cotton 2, and Guardian Force will be dead interesting to shmuppers!

www.classicgaming.com/shmups/guardianlegend
The Guardian Legend Shrine is one of the very best shrines in existence.

come.to/shooters!
Jordi Cano's multilingual shmup site is packed with information and downloads for all the latest (and not so latest) shmups out!

www.geocities.com/almontang
YES!! A fabulously featured site dedicated to probably the best shooter series of all time...including the Salamander series too! PLANET GRADIUS kicks the proverbial bottom!

www.gamestone.co.uk/gradius
The Gradius Homeworld! ALL things Gradius, and I do mean all....even the obscure games on Japanese computer systems. This site, as just recently pointed out on the forum, is one of the most comprehensive G-lovin sites on the net!

www.toaplan.com
A fabulous site dedicated to all the Toaplan shooters. If you are a fan of Batsugun, V-Five or any other Toaplan shmup, you MUST visit this one.

www.barrax-empire.de
Barrax Empire. As he puts it, it's "The Classic Shoot'em Up Gallery". At least one picture and info about a LOT (and I do mean A LOT) of shmup games is what this site has. Nice, comprehensive list that puts (only for now =) our very own Xenofiles to shame.

www4.big.or.jp/~hor
Japanese-speaking/reading capable visitors, ahoy. This site is a huge resource for shoot'em ups. As far as I could see, there is a lot of info, links, and forums here.

shmups.myqto.com/display.php?file=home
Shmup Skies, a nifty little find that also has reviews, a forum, and lots of general shooter information. Kinda like us!

www.emudek.org/shootemup/index-eng.html
Looking for great homebrewed or small company PC shooters from distant lands? Look no further, Nippon Shooters offers tons of great downloads and demos, be sure to check there NOW!

www.geocities.com/opcfg/
Rob's Organization for Preservation of Classic Forms of Gaming.....or something like that...certainly an ally in the war to keep 2-D games alive in a massive 3-D onslaught.

kelesis.free.fr/hp/index_eng.htm
Kelesis home page, this guy seems to be a Compile fan, ya think? Has some pretty good info on Zanac X Zanac too.... and those cute Compile blue guy mascots!

shoot.cjb.net
SHOOT-The Commodore 64 Shoot-em-up game archive. Check out all the sub-genres the owner breakes the games into! Very detailed page that brings back some great memories of happier times.....

www.starbase299.com/shooters.html
The mighty and long serving Starbase 299!!

turn.to/vertical
Turn to vertical - info on turning monitors to get the "full on shooter effect", along with reviews and a nice layout.

byblo.ovh.org/CompleteAlesteShrine.html
The Complete Aleste Shrine - in French

www.vicviper.com
Another Gradius site? Are we getting tired yet? No, this series deserves it!

The amount of times "shoot-em up(s)" was used in this thread is scary. I thought they were called shooters.

I dunno, they all seem the same to me.. the only "shooter" I could really get into was Starfox 64, and can that even be considered a shooter?

I think it's actually refered to as a "schmup" in certain nerd circles. Anyway, I really like these types of games. I just played some Einhander yesterday... what a sweet game!

[quote name='ryosnk']What do you all prefer vertical or horizontal shooters?

I prefer vertical. :)[/QUOTE]

I prefer horizontal shooters such as Gradius and R-Type.

I prefer vertical shooters as well. If only I had a vertically-mounted TV to play them on.

Strikers 1945 was my favorite shmup to play in the arcades. Just an insane amount of enemies and action in that game.

[quote name='ryosnk']What do you all prefer vertical or horizontal shooters?

I prefer vertical. :)[/QUOTE]

for some reason, horizontal seems more "adventurous" to me: almost like there is a goal at the end. I have no idea why i think this way, but i'm guessing it has something to do with platform side-scrollers

I prefer vertical, but I'll play any. Star Force is my favourite vertical scroller, Gradius V is my favourite horizontal scroller, and as for single screens - hmmmm, Galaxian and Robotron, two very different kinds of shmups. :D

I desperately need Strikers 1945. There's also this bizzare shooter that I don't remember the name of. I believe it has "Space" in the title, and it has some of the most hilarious cut-scene dialogue ever. If anyone knows the name, let me know. If it helps anyone, you can use a little grappler thing to grab enemies and use their powers (such enemies as pig heads and turtles).

[quote name='snotnose_colossal']vertical all the way, that reminds me, has anyone tried galaga for TG16?[/QUOTE]

I would think that it would be the same as the arcade wouldn't it?

I recently got into a master system game that I just acquired in a lot trade recently called Transbot. Its a horizontal that you're a ship which can transform into 7 different forms each of which has a different set of guns. Once you run out of ammo on the different form you move back to the base form. Has the cheapest form where you have this bar that shoots about 1/3rd of the screen and goes through everything. Pwns all.

[quote name='snotnose_colossal']not really, Galaga '90 on TG is a vertical shooter with bosses, poer ups and bonus levels and shit like that[/QUOTE]

Looks a lot like the arcade version of Galaga '88 to me.

i love vetical shooters. I love 1942 and 1943 for the nes. I play them all the time. There was a hentai one called sentimental shooting. I thought this game is so awesome. If you can find it online download it is great. And also shoot me a pm becuase i cant find it anymore.

[quote name='PaulEMoz']I think I'll pimp this that we did a while ago and give you all something to argue over. :D

Top 50 shooters[/QUOTE]Ugh... Raiden didn't even make the list, 1942 is all the way back at #49, and Rez beats both Gradius and R-Type? :cold:

I don't prefer one scheme over another. I'd have to say that I enjoy vertical and horizontal equally. There have just been some outstanding games in both directions.

Allrighty, I am going to list my owned shumps...

GBA
Galaga (by way of Namco Museum)
Galaxian (by way of Namco Museum)
Xevious

GCN
Ikaruga

PS One
Einhander
Omega Boost (not really sure if this falls into shump or not)

PS2
Castle Shikigami 2
Mobile Light Force 2

DC
Bangai-O (shump?)

Saturn
Galactic Attack

Galaga is probably my all-time favorite.

[quote name='Javil']Ugh... Raiden didn't even make the list, 1942 is all the way back at #49, and Rez beats both Gradius and R-Type? :cold:[/QUOTE]

Hence the "give you all something to argue over". :D

Here is my list:

SS:
Galatic Attack
Radiant Silvergun
thunderforce V

PSone:
R-type Delta
Raiden project
strikers 1945
Einhander
gegioh

PSTwo:
Castle Shikigami 2
Mobile Light Force 2
slipheed
r-type final

Sega cd:
sol-feace
slipheed

sega genesis:
Truxton
thunderforce II

GC:
Ikaruga

Snes:
Gaidus gaiden
thunderforce spirits

Opps forgot to add Dreamcast:
Mars Matrix
Giga wing
Giga wing 2

I'll add more later :)

Anyone know where I can find perfect or at least really good videos of someone completing the Gradius V levels?

There used to be some on Ikaru.com, IIRC, but that place has shut down.

Yeah.

Classic shmups are the best.

NES:
Xevious
Contra
Gradius

SNES:
Space Megaforce
Axelay
Strike Gunner
Aero Fighters
Super Turrican 1 & 2
Contra III
Darius Twin
Parodius
U.N. Squadron (one of my favorites)
Gradius III
Super R-Type
R-Type III

Genesis:
Zero Wing
Gunstar Heroes
Mega Turrican
Thunde Force series

Playstation:
Einhander
Raiden Project
Strikers 1945
R-Type Delta

Dreamcast:
Giga Wing
Giga Wing 2
Gunbird 2
IkarugaShikigami No Shiro II
House of the Dead 2

Xbox:
Panzer Dragoon Orta

Sega Saturn:
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Saga

Nice topic OP!

Here's a list of shmups I own.

Genesis:
Sub-Terrania
Thunder Force II

Super NES:
Axelay
Darius Twin
Gradius III
Phalanx
R-Type III
Space Megaforce
Super R-Type

PlayStation:
Gekioh: Shooting King

PS2:
Castle Shikigami 2
Defender (via Midway Arcade Treasures)
Galaga (via Namco Museum)
Galaxian (via Namco Museum)
R-Type Final

Gamecube:
Ikaruga

GBC:
R-Type DX

GBA:
Xevious

[quote name='DigitalSpace']Nice topic OP!

Here's a list of shmups I own.

Genesis:
Sub-Terrania

Super NES:
Phalanx
[/QUOTE]

Are this any good? I ask because I seen them going about $4 and I wouldn't mine picking them up if their good.

Some of the first shumps I owned...

Atari 2600

Astroblast - Great game in which you moved left to right on the bottom of the screen while shooting asteroids as they rain down on you. A paddle-controller game.

NES

Alpha Mission - First SNK game I ever had :) . Loved the missle/laser play. Had big bosses too.

Silkworm - Great concept, choose either a helicopter or a jeep. Side-scrolling shooter. I remember playing this in the arcade too.

Sadly I traded these away years ago. I had more old school ones but these I remember the most.

I think the term shooter is a lot better than "shumups". That sounds more like an insult than a game genre. Whatever the name, I love shooters! They were my first video game love! I own at least 40 to 50 old school style shooters from NES to PS2 and most stuff in-between. For pure destruction fun, you can't beat out the old style 2D shooters from the SNES and Genesis days. Not many 3D shooters are nearly as fun.

Did anyone else ever beat Gradius III on SNES on the hardest difficulty level? You get a message that says, "I'm Give Up Your Appilations Technical Monkey". I think that would have become a much bigger bad translation catchphrase if so few people hadn't seen it considering how near impossible it was to beat that game on that setting.

[quote name='GunstarRed']I think the term shooter is a lot better than "shumups". That sounds more like an insult than a game genre.[/QUOTE]I agree, but most people confuse the term "shooters" with the first-person shooter genre. At least, that's been my experience.

[quote name='ryosnk']Are this any good? I ask because I seen them going about $4 and I wouldn't mine picking them up if their good.[/QUOTE]

Phalanx is a decent vertical shooter. It's worth picking up at $4, but if you can find it at a Gamecrazy it should be $1.99 there.

It also has one of the most memorable "WTF?" box shots, featuring an old hick and a banjo.

phalanx7pq.jpg

Sub-Terrania had a good concept (it's a gravity based shmup where you navigate through caverns) with bad execution and bad controls. I paid a buck for it and it's hardly worth that.

I noticed you don't have any of these shmups - allow me to recommend getting them ASAP:

SNES
Space Megaforce (horizontal shooter with great powerups. My favorite SNES shmup)
Axelay
Super R-Type (can be found anywhere for about $5)
R-Type III (avoid the GBA version, though - it was a horrible port)
Gradius III

PlayStation
Gekioh: Shooting King (used copies go for $5 or so at EB - can't remember the exact price but I'm sure it's somewhere around there)

GBC:
R-Type DX (R-Type on the go has never been better, and it's $3.99 at EB)

[quote name='Javil']I agree, but most people confuse the term "shooters" with the first-person shooter genre. At least, that's been my experience.[/QUOTE]

No offense to anyone, but that's because they are stupid. Plain and simple. If you don't know the difference between a Shooter and an FPS, you don't deserve to hold a controller. I'm sorry, but that's why they added "First Person" to the word "Shooter;" there was already a genre named "Shooter." If someone gets the two confused, I usually explain what I'm really talking about in words that make them feel stupid.

I seem to remember playing Stinger a lot for the NES. it's a weird konami shooter.

stinger2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back