PS3 Audio/Visual via HDMI Question - Sound/Picture keeps breaking

GBAstar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
Good evening,

I'm having a problem with my PS3 and was hoping someone could help me resolve it.

Today I bought my father a new TV for father's day. It is THIS 55" RCA LED. It is just a basic television but will work for all his needs.

My parents are out of town for the weekend so I figured I'd hook up this TV and remove his old one to capitalize on the surprise for when he returns.

I got the TV set up (picture isn't amazing but still really good). We have the HD Cable box (Time Warner) and an Xbox 360 I bought them (for streaming HBO Go and sharing Vudu and other files) running through an LG 5.1 Blu-ray/surround sound receiver all in one.

All devices (Cable, Xbox 360, Blu-ray/receiver) work fine---meaning the picture and sound works without any problems.

I then took a PS3 I haven't used in about 1.5 years (120GB launch Slim) and unplugged it from my basement and brought it to my parents so I could play some "The Last of Us" this evening.

I plugged the PS3 in (through the LG surround sound via HDMI) and noticed it obviously needed some firmware updates. During and after updating the hardsware I noticed the picture would flash in and out for a millisecond every 10-15 seconds and the audio would cut out as well and then come back. Also the input screen on the tv keeps popping up too.

I'm pretty good with the PS3 system settings but I can't think of what I need to do. I at first thought it was the Surround sound that everything is hooked up through but the Cable and Xbox 360 worked flawlessly which  makes me think it isn't a problem with the surround sound receiver or the TV.

This means it must be a problem with the PS3, the system settings or the HDMI cable. 

It's my understanding that you either get picture/audio with HDMI or you don't. So I'm going to guess it isn't a faulty HDMI Cable.

This means it must be a problem with the PS3. Would it go bad after a long period of not being used? Or do I need to reset the audio/visual outputs?

Anyone have any suggestions? I've had a long day so sorry if a lot of this doesn't make sense.

Just an FYI the PS3 was previously hooked up to an HDTV via HDMI to a Sony 5.1 receiver if that matters

Hold down the power button till it beeps 3 times and start fresh. That should help decide the problem.
^ Do I do this from an "off" or "on" state?

I tried from an off state and it turned on (beeped once) and then beeped again (second beep) before shutting off.

I then tried from an on state and it just turned off (no beeping)

I would try the current hdmi cable on a different tv first and see what happens.
I've tried two different HDMI cables and both show picture / sound but it's always cutting in and out. I'll try one of the HDMI cables that works (i.e. the ones from either the cable box or Xbox 360) but I think this is a hardware issue

^ I got it into safe mode (using the three beep method). Should I just choose to restart the system?

Or should i restore original settings? Or should I restore the entire PS3?

I tried just restarting and I'm having the same problem(s)

bread's done
Back