* * * * - 25 votes

Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

Anime

#19351 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36176 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

This particular release did not come shrink wrapped on the outside.  Just like how 90%+ of standard edition Funi releases do not come shrink wrapped outside the slipccover.  Just the inner amaray case was shrink wrapped.  It is most likely a bootleg. 

Look at the seller reviews.  Seller has sold other bootlegs.

There is also a possibility that these are formerly open boxed packages that were reshrink wrapped and sold as new.

It's a fairly common practice with scum "outlet" sellers like these nowadays, so wouldn't be surprised if that was the case here.

...Why didn't you guys post sooner? Ugh, my order shipped already. :wall:

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :switch: LoZ: Breath of the Wild; Super Mario Odyssey :ps4: Tekken 7 :ps3: Bioshock; TLoH: Trails of Cold Steel 2 :vita: Danganronpa V3

Last Beaten/Completed Console/Portable Games: :ps4: Telltale's Guardians of the Galaxy (4.25/5 :3ds: Ys: Memories of Celceta (4.25/5)

#19352 Kojiro   Vasche - Odin FFXI CAGiversary!   282 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:00 PM

All of my real Funimation blu-rays have a small UPC window with curved edges. His copies all have a large rectangle cut with no curve. His Cowboy Bebop listing has a completely crooked window.

AtEFNXY.jpg

#19353 SPARDA3g   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   163 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

SPARDA3g

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:10 PM

I tend to stay away from there when it comes to movies. It's like you have to research thoroughly than anything else.

#19354 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2451 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:19 PM

Well, the prices and competition for movies and TV series these days is way better than it used to be. Thanks to that, the prices also tend to be relatively low. I used to go to eBay all the time for this kind of content, because it was more rare and a lot harder to find at a decent price. But that was in the days of $30-$40 for individual DVD volumes of a series that came in 6-8 volumes. (ah, memories) The recent Funimation re-release of Fullmetal Alchemist comes in a single package, and I think it launched for around $40-$50. And that's a 50+ episode series. On Blu-Ray. I didn't even wait for the price to drop, I pre-ordered it.

I hardly ever even bother with eBay these days. What's the point in shaving off a few dollars when the initial prices are so low? Maybe you get your Blu-Ray set for $24 instead of $30? Why even bother trying to shave off so little when the extra expense will get you the item brand-new? The only real use for eBay is if you are trying to get a decent discount off of Aniplex releases or import Blu-Rays. (which are still sold at pretty crazy markups) For Funimation releases, which are typically very wallet-friendly, I just don't see the point.

#19355 geicorules  

geicorules

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:28 PM

...Why didn't you guys post sooner? Ugh, my order shipped already. :wall:

Don't worry too much, when it arrives compare it to unboxing on YouTube. If it doesn't match request a full refund and return PayPal does offer return shipping on them right now. If they try to offer a partial refund this is also normally a telltale sign it is a bootleg , they will take anything over nothing. If that's the case follow what eBay tells you and make sure to leave a review that tells others it's a bootleg.

Anime:

Spoiler

Steam:

Spoiler

Wanna trade some steam games? Click here CAG's always get priority 

#19356 3gsid   Finally back as 3GSid! CAGiversary!   1091 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

This particular release did not come shrink wrapped on the outside.  Just like how 90%+ of standard edition Funi releases do not come shrink wrapped outside the slipccover.  Just the inner amaray case was shrink wrapped.  It is most likely a bootleg. 

Should have noticed something was too good to be true. Sorry to anybody who ordered one.

What a first post in over a year -.-

#19357 roger watersmelon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2278 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

roger watersmelon

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:19 PM

Well, it's good to have you back anyway.

Got my UK copies of Nisekoi in the mail today. I'm always amazed how the stuff I order from Amazon UK manages to arrive in mint condition despite the terrible condition of their shipping boxes. These came in one of those cardboard envelopes, but the flap wasn't glued down. The rip strip was untouched, but the glue had let go.

So yeah, they basically sent it to me in an open envelope and everything made it just fine.

#19358 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20527 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:48 PM

Well, it's good to have you back anyway.

Got my UK copies of Nisekoi in the mail today. I'm always amazed how the stuff I order from Amazon UK manages to arrive in mint condition despite the terrible condition of their shipping boxes. These came in one of those cardboard envelopes, but the flap wasn't glued down. The rip strip was untouched, but the glue had let go.

So yeah, they basically sent it to me in an open envelope and everything made it just fine.

You must be lucky, because my boxes from Zavvi were always smashed, in addition to the items being smashed too.

Oh, the days of UK only CEs of PSP games, and best place to get them was from Zavvi during sales.

Of course the disappointment always outweighed the initial discounts. ~_~

gjDkeqL.gifv3llIct.gif

Spoiler

#19359 TidalDreams   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   214 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

TidalDreams

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:53 AM

Wow... that's actually a really good fake. Reminds me of those Bandai Anime Legends fakes that were way too difficult to tell. Best just to avoid ebay for anime, bootlegs look too much like the real thing nowadays.

#19360 geicorules  

geicorules

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:45 AM

Wow... that's actually a really good fake. Reminds me of those Bandai Anime Legends fakes that were way too difficult to tell. Best just to avoid ebay for anime, bootlegs look too much like the real thing nowadays.

Aniplex madoka Standard edition suffer/ed from this as well the ebay bootlegs look almost indistinguishable. 

Anime:

Spoiler

Steam:

Spoiler

Wanna trade some steam games? Click here CAG's always get priority 

#19361 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2367 Posts   Joined 3.0 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:05 AM

only anime bootleg I ever bought was Cowboy Bebop but it was worth it because it was way cheaper than those individual volumes they had back then, and still looked totally fine.

of course rebought that Anime Legends set that was reasonably priced, and now the BR as well, to make up for it

#19362 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36176 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

Don't worry too much, when it arrives compare it to unboxing on YouTube. If it doesn't match request a full refund and return PayPal does offer return shipping on them right now. If they try to offer a partial refund this is also normally a telltale sign it is a bootleg , they will take anything over nothing. If that's the case follow what eBay tells you and make sure to leave a review that tells others it's a bootleg.

Thanks for the advice. I just got the FMA "collection" today and it looks just like other CAGs have mentioned (fully shrinkwrapped, square box with sharp corners around UPC), so I put in a return request.

EDIT: Wow, the seller already approved the return and sent a label. If he assumes I won't mention the bootleg in my feedback, he's sorely mistaken.

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :switch: LoZ: Breath of the Wild; Super Mario Odyssey :ps4: Tekken 7 :ps3: Bioshock; TLoH: Trails of Cold Steel 2 :vita: Danganronpa V3

Last Beaten/Completed Console/Portable Games: :ps4: Telltale's Guardians of the Galaxy (4.25/5 :3ds: Ys: Memories of Celceta (4.25/5)

#19363 WeaponX2099   You walk on the subway CAGiversary!   5385 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

WeaponX2099

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:37 AM

Gundam Wing Blu-Ray is coming out on November 7,  and the Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Collector's Ultra Edition  comes out Dec 5 with Endless Waltz. G-Gundam in 2018. 

#19364 Gden   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3003 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:13 AM

Gundam Wing Blu-Ray is coming out on November 7,  and the Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Collector's Ultra Edition  comes out Dec 5. No word on Endless Waltz 

That's is a gorgeous collection I wonder what... HOLY SHIT BALLS!

I'm not changing my signature until Busou Renkin, and Trizenon get licensed.
FC: Pokemon Pearl - 1160-6253-4611
Posted Image

#19365 nagpo  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:46 AM

Gundam Wing Blu-Ray is coming out on November 7,  and the Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Collector's Ultra Edition  comes out Dec 5 with Endless Waltz. G-Gundam in 2018. 

how am i going to afford this set and the utena set?

They also announced a Aria the animation HD dub kickstater. http://www.animenews...ish-dub/.120052

I have it on dvd already. It seems RS is doing their own transfers and not using the terrible japanese transfers.

Check out my Ebay profile!

For sale now:

The World of Final Fantasy - Vita

The Slayers complete first season! + More!

#19366 SolidSnake86   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1410 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

SolidSnake86

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:57 AM

Nice!! I love Gundam Wing, but I'll probably stick to my old Bandai DVDs (I just want that awesome artbook from the ultra edition!).

The main Gundam series I'm waiting for now is a re-release of Gundam 00 and maybe G Gundam. I'll pass on Seed...

Horizontal-Banner-copy-e1469133668735.jp

#19367 SPARDA3g   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   163 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

SPARDA3g

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:31 AM

I'm fine with what I have now. Gundam 00 re-release would be something I would buy since I never had the chance. That said I am curious on how good it look on Blu-ray. I remember Sunrise asked people which series they want a sequel. I wonder who won that.

#19368 Insanity999   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   39 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Insanity999

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:01 PM

does rightstuf not send out monthly discount codes by email anymore? Haven't seen one in a while

#19369 SPARDA3g   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   163 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

SPARDA3g

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:06 PM

I wonder how long I have to wait for Berserk manga set.

#19370 Kojiro   Vasche - Odin FFXI CAGiversary!   282 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:22 PM

Thanks for the advice. I just got the FMA "collection" today and it looks just like other CAGs have mentioned (fully shrinkwrapped, square box with sharp corners around UPC), so I put in a return request.

EDIT: Wow, the seller already approved the return and sent a label. If he assumes I won't mention the bootleg in my feedback, he's sorely mistaken.

How did the bootleg look in person? From his picture, it looked like the colors were way off and the fine details like the alchemical circles were faded in with the background. Really wondering since I buy a lot of anime at local dvd resell shops and I'm pretty sure they'd let a good bootleg through. I know you probably don't want to open it, but I almost wonder what the discs look like compared to the real deal.

#19371 starkillr   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1261 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

starkillr

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:35 PM

I don't remember if someone mentioned it already, but Aria the Animation is getting a kickstarter to put it on blu-ray and dub it. Further seasons will get dubbed if they hit stretch goals (I don't think they've put the stretch goals out yet, but that's what they implied). Also, apparently Crunchyroll has it for streaming, which is good because I haven't seen it. Can't support a kickstarter if I haven't seen the damn thing haha.

#19372 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36176 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:51 PM

How did the bootleg look in person? From his picture, it looked like the colors were way off and the fine details like the alchemical circles were faded in with the background. Really wondering since I buy a lot of anime at local dvd resell shops and I'm pretty sure they'd let a good bootleg through. I know you probably don't want to open it, but I almost wonder what the discs look like compared to the real deal.

Sorry, I already shipped it back. It looked okay, but the plastic wrapping felt...fake, for lack of a better word, like it was obviously resealed.

Cloud_Squall78.png

#19373 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2451 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:20 PM

Urrrghhh. Extremely expensive Gundam Wing set. But I can't help but consider it. They included one of my weaknesses, a high-quality hardback artbook. Also, while the regular series is available as two volumes, the combined price of those is still around $100. And there's no word as of yet if Endless Waltz is going to be released separately.

Thankfully, I have some time before making a decision. I never acquired the full DVD set, so this is a long-awaited boon for me.

#19374 Covnam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1137 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:30 AM

Urrrghhh. Extremely expensive Gundam Wing set. But I can't help but consider it. They included one of my weaknesses, a high-quality hardback artbook. Also, while the regular series is available as two volumes, the combined price of those is still around $100. And there's no word as of yet if Endless Waltz is going to be released separately.

Thankfully, I have some time before making a decision. I never acquired the full DVD set, so this is a long-awaited boon for me.

I'm pretty sure they did say it was going to be released separately in Dec., but I think the CE includes an exclusive bonus disc with an OVA or picture drama that isn't available in the other releases.

#19375 jedimario   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   232 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

jedimario

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:36 AM

I don't remember if someone mentioned it already, but Aria the Animation is getting a kickstarter to put it on blu-ray and dub it. Further seasons will get dubbed if they hit stretch goals (I don't think they've put the stretch goals out yet, but that's what they implied). Also, apparently Crunchyroll has it for streaming, which is good because I haven't seen it. Can't support a kickstarter if I haven't seen the damn thing haha.

So what is this anime like? Any recommendations for it?

#19376 BigManJapan  

BigManJapan

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:20 AM

What's with these insanely priced collectors' editions lately? Just searching around Right Stuf and found this...

https://www.rightstu...ion-Blu-Ray-DVD

#19377 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10016 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:47 AM

What's with these insanely priced collectors' editions lately? Just searching around Right Stuf and found this...

https://www.rightstu...ion-Blu-Ray-DVD

It comes in a Speed Racer Bust :P

#19378 roger watersmelon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2278 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

roger watersmelon

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:11 AM

Go Speed Racer Gooooooo!!!!

#19379 Noticeleba  

Noticeleba

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:25 AM

wonderful idea

#19380 SPARDA3g   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   163 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

SPARDA3g

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:00 PM

Anyone receive an email from Sentai with an exclusive bundles? Because they are very tempting right now. Both seasons of Snafu is only $25. That's a steal in my book. Grabbing that and entire set of When They Cry, which is only $55 for all 3.

That being said I need an opinion for K-On (movie not included for bundle) and Kokoro Connect. Are they good and worth the buy?