* * * * - 25 votes

Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

Anime

#21301 Gden   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3221 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:22 PM

When I posted it was 27 on Amazon, its down to 20 now. I ordered it.

#21302 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:30 PM

I just wanted to warn everyone that the new Gkids release of Perfect Blue in the US has some issues. There is a very, very in-depth thread on this in the Blu-ray.com forums. tl;dr is that it's the prior UK release from All The Anime with artificial sharpening and DNR applied, so it's objectively worse. I can't remember if the UK release was region locked or not--I'm region free anyway, so I don't pay attention lol. But this is just something for everyone to keep in mind.

#21303 elessar123  

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:10 PM

Meh, might have to return mine then. At least it's still better than the DVD? Unlike the Japanese Blu-ray release of Honey and Clover, which the f-ing DVD version put on Blu-ray.

#21304 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9027 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:11 PM

I just wanted to warn everyone that the new Gkids release of Perfect Blue in the US has some issues. There is a very, very in-depth thread on this in the Blu-ray.com forums. tl;dr is that it's the prior UK release from All The Anime with artificial sharpening and DNR applied, so it's objectively worse. I can't remember if the UK release was region locked or not--I'm region free anyway, so I don't pay attention lol. But this is just something for everyone to keep in mind.

Yeah, I've been loosely following that situation a bit as well.  Sounds like a release that everyone can easily skip.  

I have the older Perfect Blue UK steelbook from Zavvi and can confirm that it's Region B only. 

Spoiler

#21305 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:21 PM

Yeah, I've been loosely following that situation a bit as well.  Sounds like a release that everyone can easily skip.  

I have the older Perfect Blue UK steelbook from Zavvi and can confirm that it's Region B only. 

Spoiler

I have the standard edition release of this, so I'm sure the discs are the same. Region B it is! 

#21306 jedimario   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   246 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

jedimario

Posted 03 April 2019 - 09:22 PM

So to confirm: the version of Perfect Blue to get would be an older U.K. edition or any UK edition?

#21307 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:40 PM

So to confirm: the version of Perfect Blue to get would be an older U.K. edition or any UK edition?

There is a new UK release (an Ultimate Edition) coming soon, which apparently will have the new, inferior transfer? The other ones should be fine. You just need to make sure that you have a region free solution. But there are way more reasons than just this to have that anyway *cough* aniplex *cough*.

https://www.base.com...dgc-ani0040.htm

Meh, might have to return mine then. At least it's still better than the DVD? Unlike the Japanese Blu-ray release of Honey and Clover, which the f-ing DVD version put on Blu-ray.

Consensus seems to be that if your only alternative is the old DVD, then this is still an upgrade.

#21308 Dark_Sage   Superior CAGiversary!   3572 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2019 - 03:17 PM

If you actually care about quality why are you watching BDs/DVDs?

#21309 geicorules  

geicorules

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:45 PM

So I was gonna pick up something on rightstuf finally giving them a second chance. But not to my surprise they ban my account for having PayPal issue me a refund for an item that still hasn't arrived 5 months later.

Here is what they said
"It looks like your account did end up getting suspended as a claim for that last order was made against us on PayPal rather then continuing through our claim process and provided the requested information. "

Note that I did wait over month before doing a PayPal claim. Did a claim with USPS providing them with that info and opened 2 cases with them about the issue providing them with all the info they requested, which they ignored me, put all fault on me for the item not showing up and close the case before I could respond.

Seeing as I still haven't received the package from the black Friday sale it looks like Rightstufs claim process is you wait and see if USPS ever finds it regardless how much money you are out. From what I can tell a USPS claim needs to be filed within 60 days but can stay opened for 365 before they decide it is closed.

I did ask rightstuf if I am just SOL, which honestly I don't see them favoring me at all. It sucks because they do have some exclusive things on their website. It's not like I am looking to get free stuff either, I payed for something that never showed up pretty much any other company would have helped me out, especially since the tracking shows it never even left their post office, but not rightstuf.

#21310 starkillr   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1604 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

starkillr

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:11 AM

So I was gonna pick up something on rightstuf finally giving them a second chance. But not to my surprise they ban my account for having PayPal issue me a refund for an item that still hasn't arrived 5 months later.

Here is what they said
"It looks like your account did end up getting suspended as a claim for that last order was made against us on PayPal rather then continuing through our claim process and provided the requested information. "

Note that I did wait over month before doing a PayPal claim. Did a claim with USPS providing them with that info and opened 2 cases with them about the issue providing them with all the info they requested, which they ignored me, put all fault on me for the item not showing up and close the case before I could respond.

Seeing as I still haven't received the package from the black Friday sale it looks like Rightstufs claim process is you wait and see if USPS ever finds it regardless how much money you are out. From what I can tell a USPS claim needs to be filed within 60 days but can stay opened for 365 before they decide it is closed.

I did ask rightstuf if I am just SOL, which honestly I don't see them favoring me at all. It sucks because they do have some exclusive things on their website. It's not like I am looking to get free stuff either, I payed for something that never showed up pretty much any other company would have helped me out, especially since the tracking shows it never even left their post office, but not rightstuf.

If they didn't IP ban you, then just make a new account?

#21311 geicorules  

geicorules

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:57 AM

I think they ban my paypal account, and no way in hell I am giving them debit account info, the only reason I got my money back is because of paypal and I dont have a cc

#21312 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:43 PM

I think they ban my paypal account, and no way in hell I am giving them debit account info, the only reason I got my money back is because of paypal and I dont have a cc

Slightly off topic, but there are so, so many reasons to have a credit card--just something to consider.

Sent from my Razer Phone 2 using Tapatalk

#21313 elessar123  

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:53 PM

Yea, even if it's a secured card (which is more or less a debit card to you, and a credit card to the outside)

#21314 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4483 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 April 2019 - 04:13 PM

Looks like Sentai is losing the rights to A-Channel.

OUT OF PRINT NOTICE: This title is available on the store until 4/30/19 or while supplies last. Don't miss out!

On sale for $12 BR, $10 DVD: https://shop.sentaif...lete-collection

#21315 roger watersmelon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2995 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

roger watersmelon

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:38 PM

"Oh, I should buy A-Channel. It's always something that I add to my cart during sales but usually remove for one reason or another. Well, I'm not spending another $60 on anime right now so I'll just pay for shipping."
"$8.50 to ship one blu ray? Nuts to that."
Removes from cart

#21316 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:53 PM

A Silent Voice finally showed up in a couple of Walmarts near me. It looks like their website is accurately showing which locations have it in stock, and it was only like $16. 

#21317 geicorules  

geicorules

Posted 13 April 2019 - 02:40 AM

Target has it is stock too
Silent voice is $17.99
Maquia $15
Maria $22.99

I picked up all 3 watched SV and maquia today maquia was super good and SV was also very good very close to the manga
Edit:
Watched Maria it was the weakest of the 3 not bad but not as good as the other 2

#21318 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 April 2019 - 03:29 PM

Maquia is a beautiful film and no, shut up, you’re crying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#21319 whoknows   Time and Eternity for all of time and eternity CAGiversary!   40113 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 April 2019 - 03:52 PM

Maquia has become one of my favorite movies, anime or otherwise. 

#21320 elessar123  

Posted 13 April 2019 - 05:01 PM

The Bravely Default artist did the original Maquia art, btw.

Spoiler

#21321 SPARDA3g   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   234 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

SPARDA3g

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:40 PM

Oh. It's that cheap? Time to grab one.

#21322 FlamedLiquid   The Kersed Sowl CAGiversary!   8745 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

FlamedLiquid

Posted 14 April 2019 - 02:26 AM

May be YMMV but my local Walmart had Pokemon Indigo League Season 1 Champions Edition bluray for 29.96

Walmart.com sells it for $55 and other places sell it for $55 - $60.

This also came with $8 movie cash for Detective Pikachu.

#21323 Dead_Batteries   Voltaic Pile CAGiversary!   1116 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Dead_Batteries

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:15 AM

Picked up Maquia since you guys recommended it. Also bought Totoro (online return) for $9.

#21324 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4483 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:26 PM

Sentai Easter sale with free shipping over $50: https://shop.sentaif...aster-sale-2019

#21325 Gden   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3221 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:27 PM

Am I crazy or do those prices suck

#21326 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4483 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:59 PM

Am I crazy or do those prices suck

All prices suck compared to their BF sale. Pushing aside that blissful time, these are ok.

#21327 thelonepig   Greasy Pork Pirates! CAGiversary!   6736 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:45 PM

Land of the Lustrous and Patlabor Complete are priced well, but I'm having a hard time on the latter because it'll be cheaper come Black Friday and the former because without the latter I have to pay shipping.

#21328 Gden   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3221 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:35 PM

All prices suck compared to their BF sale. Pushing aside that blissful time, these are ok.

They suck even compared to their Valentine's sale

#21329 A Dusty Bookcase   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   449 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

A Dusty Bookcase

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:57 PM

Land of the Lustrous and Patlabor Complete are priced well, but I'm having a hard time on the latter because it'll be cheaper come Black Friday and the former because without the latter I have to pay shipping.

That's literally what I picked up last night lol. That's it.

#21330 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   5071 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:29 PM

I finally watched A Silent Voice last night. That was a wonderful film, but I didn't find it as sad as everyone says. It was emotional, sure, but it also gave its broken characters a chance to get better and move on.