* * * * - 25 votes

Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

Anime

#21811 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4843 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2021 - 05:49 PM

Sentai Valentine's sale on select titles: https://www.sentaifi...s-day-sale-2021

No BF-level deals, but some decent prices there.

#21812 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3798 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 10 February 2021 - 05:26 AM

I'm sure somebody's gonna get some BF action this weekend.

#21813 elessar123  

Posted 17 February 2021 - 07:45 PM

Vudu has a Funimation sale right now. It's like 70% dubbed and 30% subbed.

Paranoia Agent's a standout at $7.99.

#21814 Nifuro  

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:33 PM

I am not a fan of Anime but I will give it a try. Any advice from what to start? 

#21815 cloudmd23   Tojo Clan Member CAGiversary!   248 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:04 PM

I am not a fan of Anime but I will give it a try. Any advice from what to start? 

Cowboy Bebop is a great entry point as its format is very western in nature, so it makes it a bit easier to dip your toes in. Also, any Studio Ghibli movie (though Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are the best ones imo).

#21816 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4843 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2021 - 03:29 PM

I recommend Death Note. It's the only anime I've been able to get my dad and brother to watch. All other attempts have failed :(

Also, for starting out anime, I think you'll have an easier time with English dub rather than subtitles.

#21817 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2948 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:31 PM

Anime to start from can be a difficult question. A lot of it comes down to personal preference.

If you like to talk to other people about your media, you will likely want to stick to anime that is coming out right now. Modern anime trends focus heavily on seasonal shows and a lot of turn over. Most shows only air for a single season, or there is becoming bigger gaps between multi-season shows. This is typically the realm of people who are already fans, so I wouldn't recommend it to those unfamiliar with the medium.

Cowboy Bebop is one of my all-time favorites. But if you like long-form storytelling, you might not like it. It is very episodic, with only the occasional nod to serialized storytelling. This can make it much easier to drop into, and much less of a binge-risk. But for those who love to binge, it is not nearly as good of a fit. On the plus side, it oozes style, has some very fun characters, and is more laid-back than some other options. Not a big commitment, but plenty of quality. This is often why it is a common first-time recommendation.

FLCL. This is a much harder recommendation to stomach. But if you want some "weird" anime, with some of the more bizarre or strange cultural influences, this one will do you proper. It clocks in at a scant six episodes, making for a very short series. I can't stress enough just how weird and off-the-wall this series is. If you hit it off with this one, you can probably dive into just about any anime.

Serial Experiments Lain. Easily the most art-house of my recommendations. It is a relatively short series, only 13 episodes. Quiet, restrained, and deeply psychological. Despite it being reliant on technology for its narrative, it is somehow more relevant today than it was when it came out. For anyone looking for something more narratively complex, somber, and intellectual.

Food Wars. (Shokugeki no Soma) This is one of my more modern recommendations. It features all of what you would consider modern anime "tropes." It has scantily-clad fan-service ladies. It has melodrama. It has teenagers attending a ridiculous school. These are all litmus tests for how high your tolerance for some of the medium's more egregious elements will be. Wrapped up in all of this are a broad cast of very fun characters, tons of appealing humor, and lots of delicious food. This is essentially Iron-Chef in anime form. An entire series centered around cooking competitions. Good stuff while easing you into a lot of anime tropes. 

#21818 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3340 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:52 PM

Anime to start from can be a difficult question. A lot of it comes down to personal preference.

If you like to talk to other people about your media, you will likely want to stick to anime that is coming out right now. Modern anime trends focus heavily on seasonal shows and a lot of turn over. Most shows only air for a single season, or there is becoming bigger gaps between multi-season shows. This is typically the realm of people who are already fans, so I wouldn't recommend it to those unfamiliar with the medium.

Cowboy Bebop is one of my all-time favorites. But if you like long-form storytelling, you might not like it. It is very episodic, with only the occasional nod to serialized storytelling. This can make it much easier to drop into, and much less of a binge-risk. But for those who love to binge, it is not nearly as good of a fit. On the plus side, it oozes style, has some very fun characters, and is more laid-back than some other options. Not a big commitment, but plenty of quality. This is often why it is a common first-time recommendation.

FLCL. This is a much harder recommendation to stomach. But if you want some "weird" anime, with some of the more bizarre or strange cultural influences, this one will do you proper. It clocks in at a scant six episodes, making for a very short series. I can't stress enough just how weird and off-the-wall this series is. If you hit it off with this one, you can probably dive into just about any anime.

Serial Experiments Lain. Easily the most art-house of my recommendations. It is a relatively short series, only 13 episodes. Quiet, restrained, and deeply psychological. Despite it being reliant on technology for its narrative, it is somehow more relevant today than it was when it came out. For anyone looking for something more narratively complex, somber, and intellectual.

Food Wars. (Shokugeki no Soma) This is one of my more modern recommendations. It features all of what you would consider modern anime "tropes." It has scantily-clad fan-service ladies. It has melodrama. It has teenagers attending a ridiculous school. These are all litmus tests for how high your tolerance for some of the medium's more egregious elements will be. Wrapped up in all of this are a broad cast of very fun characters, tons of appealing humor, and lots of delicious food. This is essentially Iron-Chef in anime form. An entire series centered around cooking competitions. Good stuff while easing you into a lot of anime tropes. 

I'd also add Stein's Gate (and the movie) to Richard Kain's solid list.  The concept of parallel timelines and time travel may be more prevalent today in shows and movies, but Stein's Gate (which I think is now 10 years old!) still is an enjoyable ride, and does it as well or better than most today.  There is also a movie that came out after the anime that you should watch if you go through the series.  It nicely wraps up a few loose ends from the story.

I prefer dubs, and Stein’s Gate has an excellent cast courtesy of Funimation.

Lastly, at least for me, while I don't mind watching an anime now and then, I'm always pressed for time so another way to experience anime is by trying movies rather than shows.  There are some excellent stand-alone anime classics like Ghost in the Shell or more recent flicks like Promare.

If you want to try anime through a movie (shorter commitment), I'd recommend you start with an all-time favorite, Hayao Miyazaki's the Castle of Cagliostro, which is available on bluray and UHD.  It's also got an awesome dub from a supremely talented cast.  Same goes for the other two films I mentioned.

#21819 elessar123  

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:33 PM

There's also stuff like Paprika and Perfect Blue, which were Westernized with two highly acclaimed movies. Paprika is also a very beautiful-looking film that helps you see the benefits of the medium.

#21820 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3340 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:12 PM

There's also stuff like Paprika and Perfect Blue, which were Westernized with two highly acclaimed movies. Paprika is also a very beautiful-looking film that helps you see the benefits of the medium.

I need to see those.  I do think I watched Perfect Blue a long time ago, but it may have been just on in the background. 

Both of those are by the late Sotoshi Kon, who also did Millennium Actress, another acclaimed film I need to see! 

Never enough time ...

#21821 BigManJapan  

BigManJapan

Posted 26 February 2021 - 07:16 AM

Absolutely go with Cowboy Bebop and Death Note. I have friends who are not into anime, but who are crazy about those two shows. Both of those titles are classics in every sense of the word.

#21822 Gurren Lagann   Who Da Hell Do You Think I Am CAGiversary!   3334 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Gurren Lagann

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:56 PM

I would go with Outlaw Star and either Deathnote or Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

#21823 wormy   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   30 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:06 AM

My recs for getting into anime:
Read or Die(The 3 ep OVA, not 26 ep season Read or Dream, both are R.O.D.) It is short and has interesting characters doing cool things. 
Azumanga Diaoh, for a comedy different style than you see in the current mainstream America.
Karas (2 movies), for Japan's take on the western super hero story.
Fooley Cooley, FLCL for a pace you do not get to see outside of anime.

All shows feature very little to no objectionable content. My list does not include anime's ability to create great overarching storylines spanning 50+ episodes.

#21824 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   9685 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:42 AM

I recommend starting with Elfen Lied. 

#21825 nagpo  

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:00 PM

I recommend starting with Elfen Lied. 

Is this a troll? lol

#21826 TidalDreams   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   408 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

TidalDreams

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:21 PM

Just start with whatever you find interesting on Netflix. All of them of pretty decent and have english dubs. I would recommend Cowboy Bebop, FMA Brotherhood, Your Lie in April, Evangelion (a bit more hardcore than the rest), Death Note.

#21827 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   15302 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 01 March 2021 - 06:03 AM

Is this a troll? lol

A troll because the show sucked and was disappointing? Evangelion is more of a troll than Elfen Lied. But there are still worse anime to recommend...

#21828 Tweeg  

Posted 01 March 2021 - 08:17 AM

Recommendations are purely subjective to individual tastes and opinion.

I personally consider NGE to be a masterpiece, and do tend to recommend it, though finding it harder to do so now that NetFlix has tainted the series with their evil by pairing the series with a crappy dub that should never have been made! And I have encountered people who are super into the horror & gore genres that do actually recommend Elfen Lied to people new to anime. While I do also like Elfen Lied, I would never blindly recommend that as a title to watch to just anyone unless they had indicated they were into horror/gore/splatterhouse type titles.

And this is the big problem with people who recommend things in general, You should always ask the person who wants recommendations a bit about what they have already seen they like, or if they haven't seen any anime at all what sorts of TV shows and movies they're into. Make educated recommendations catered to the individual instead of throwing titles at them like you're firing off a round of bird shot from a 12 gauge shotgun at a target the size of a teacup saucer a mile away and hoping something hits. That having been stated.

Have you seen any anime you've liked already? And what sorts of TV shows and movies are you into Nifuro ?

#21829 starkillr   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1626 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

starkillr

Posted 01 March 2021 - 02:50 PM

The question is just a pandora's box for suggestions when we don't know anything about what you're interested in. One of the first anime I watched after a long dry spell was Code Geass amongst others that came out that year. It's remained as one of my top anime of all time. Then again, I don't know if that type of show is your thing. I like the suggestion of just checking out Netflix anime and seeing if anything pops out at you.

#21830 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   15302 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:41 AM

EL has one of the best openings of all time, but then there's this constant switching from interesting story to some loli cat girl harem nonsense that turned me way off. Too many characters with amnesia and a weak ending. The amount of anime tropes it covers is even worse than Evangelion, but at least it doesn't have Evangelion's existential crisis of an ending. The point is that neither are good to START with.

I'd say that the reason why the person is "not a fan of Anime" is because they feel the same way about immature tropes and horrible dubs as I do. Those are prevalent throughout anime, so they haven't found anything they liked. Out of the 600+ series on my hard drive, probably 80% of them are geared towards lonely virgins needing a waifu and are rife with superficial fluff. And I don't touch them again after a few episode trial. I don't think just browsing is an encouraging recommendation, too much crap out there.

My suggestions then are based on more adult anime that is easy to digest without all the fanfare and incessant screeching that most anime is known for. Rising of the Shield Hero, Demon Slayer, and Ghost in the Shell tell good stories while minimizing the childish stuff. Parasyte is pretty good. Fullmetall Alchemist: Brotherhood is a slog and has the lighthearted non-sequitur, but there are some emotional moments mixed in. There's no loli-groping or other deviancy, which is another bonus. All of them are mainstream, the very definition being that a majority of people like them, so they are safe bets.

#21831 nagpo  

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:44 PM

Guys you need to check out the new Saint Seiya movie collection from Discotek https://www.rightstu...lection-Blu-ray

It's really cheap and they kind of hinted that if this sells well they'll bring over the series.

#21832 cloudmd23   Tojo Clan Member CAGiversary!   248 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 March 2021 - 03:22 PM

Guys you need to check out the new Saint Seiya movie collection from Discotek https://www.rightstu...lection-Blu-ray

It's really cheap and they kind of hinted that if this sells well they'll bring over the series.

Got it pre-ordered!

#21833 FlamedLiquid   The Kersed Sowl CAGiversary!   8855 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

FlamedLiquid

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:52 AM

May buy some items in this Funimation sale on Rightstuf but a lot is out of stock. How long dies it usually take them to restock items? Also anyone know when this sale ends?

#21834 thelonepig   Greasy Pork Pirates! CAGiversary!   6760 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:19 AM

May buy some items in this Funimation sale on Rightstuf but a lot is out of stock. How long dies it usually take them to restock items? Also anyone know when this sale ends?

Funimation is moving warehouse, so restock probably won't happen until May.

#21835 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   1459 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2021 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for this! I love the old Saint Seiya, it was so hard to find these while I was in high school.

Funimation is moving warehouse, so restock probably won't happen until May.

Planning to pair some items with the Saint Seiya movie set.

Was looking to maybe pick up some of the following, have these been cheaper from Sentai or Amazon?; do not recommend for any reason; or are essentials collections bad? TIA

Yona of the Dawn 

Chaos;Child 

Hundreds 

WorldEnd... 

Aokana

Tokyo Ravens

Seraph of the End S1P1 LE

X the series

#21836 cloudmd23   Tojo Clan Member CAGiversary!   248 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2021 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for this! I love the old Saint Seiya, it was so hard to find these while I was in high school.

Planning to pair some items with the Saint Seiya movie set.

Was looking to maybe pick up some of the following, have these been cheaper from Sentai or Amazon?; do not recommend for any reason; or are essentials collections bad? TIA

Yona of the Dawn 

Chaos;Child 

Hundreds 

WorldEnd... 

Aokana

Tokyo Ravens

Seraph of the End S1P1 LE

X the series

I can only speak to Chaos;Child, but the price that it's at on Rightstuf right now ($12.99) is the lowest I've personally ever seen it and where I bought in at. As for the Essentials label that you see on some FUNimation shows, I don't think they're bad at all. They're usually a cheaper way to secure the show since the initial release typically included Bluray/DVD whereas the Essentials version will be just Bluray and Digital. This isn't always the case, but it's the pattern I"ve noticed. They used to do S.A.V.E. sets which had the ugly green banner on the side which were a real eyesore, but they've moved away from that. I'd personally recommend them.

#21837 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   1459 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2021 - 10:06 PM

I can only speak to Chaos;Child, but the price that it's at on Rightstuf right now ($12.99) is the lowest I've personally ever seen it and where I bought in at. As for the Essentials label that you see on some FUNimation shows, I don't think they're bad at all. They're usually a cheaper way to secure the show since the initial release typically included Bluray/DVD whereas the Essentials version will be just Bluray and Digital. This isn't always the case, but it's the pattern I"ve noticed. They used to do S.A.V.E. sets which had the ugly green banner on the side which were a real eyesore, but they've moved away from that. I'd personally recommend them.

Thanks for the input! I was worried since most of the sale items were essentials packs and were much cheaper than the regular sets, i'll definitely pick up more than a few of those

#21838 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4843 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2021 - 02:16 PM

Sentai sale: https://www.sentaifi...lucky-sale-2021

#21839 theclaw   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   544 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 March 2021 - 11:36 AM

Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro is good to establish an appreciation for older works.

For a more modern style, Ride Your Wave has a romantic comedy premise that must be seen to be believed.

If you want to follow in my own footsteps, watch the beginning of Pokemon. Before it dragged on for decades, before the changes to the art and dub cast. The original trio is timeless. Ash the overconfident rookie, charmingly hot-headed Misty, and Brock trying and failing to be more than a punchline. Between the slapstick antics, are unforgettable moments like meeting Charmander. Mewtwo Strikes Back is a better film than it gets credit (no thanks to 4Kids), with a much different tone that wouldn't be seen again for a while.

#21840 inverted_fray  

inverted_fray

Posted 21 March 2021 - 08:01 PM

Target has a Buy One Get One Free offer on video games and movies that also include tv shows.