* * * * - 25 votes

Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

Anime

#21871 thelonepig   Greasy Pork Pirates! CAGiversary!   6807 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 27 November 2021 - 09:17 PM

Like what? The stuff I'm seeing is the same price as always, except one of them is literally a penny cheaper?

There are a bunch of titles at an additional $10 - $20 off.

https://www.rightstu...rything-on-sale

#21872 elessar123  

Posted 27 November 2021 - 09:33 PM

Turns out the Aniplex stuff I had in my wishlist weren't on sale (cept Kagura).

#21873 Sindur   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   400 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 November 2021 - 10:32 PM

wish they'd put promised neverland on sale. I have just about everything else I want from aniplex already.

#21874 Tweeg  

Posted 28 November 2021 - 07:37 PM

Aniplex titles would need to hit 90% off before I'd even consider them. $60 For a four episode volume? Remind me in which decade we're presently residing in please, because Aniplex's home video prices are stuck in the 1980's.

#21875 Tweeg  

Posted 30 November 2021 - 06:03 PM

NISA's Holiday Sale

Sale Ends on December 10th
Yesterday was the first day of the sale, and I think this may be the first time they have ever opted to run the sale for more than just Cyber Monday. They have some okay prices on their anime bundles, which can be viewed here.:
https://store.nisame...list_order=name
Bundles being offered.:
$54.99 - kimi ni todoke ~From Me to You~ Complete Standard Edition (Blu-Ray)
$44.99 - Hanasaku Iroha Complete Series (Vol. 1/Vol. 2) Standard Edition + Movie Standard Edition Bundle (Blu-ray)
$19.99 - A Lull in the Sea Complete Series Standard Edition Bundle (DVD) <--- Great Series

NISA Also has the remainder of all their other anime titles on sale, though should be noted some of them are also on sale for slightly less money as part of the RightStuf Holiday Sale.:
Non-bundle anime link:
https://store.nisame...ist_order=price

#21876 starkillr   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1629 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

starkillr

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:36 PM

$19.99 - A Lull in the Sea Complete Series Standard Edition Bundle (DVD) <--- Great Series

Is this available in BD or only DVD?

#21877 Tweeg  

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:45 PM

Is this available in BD or only DVD?

As is shown on the collector checklists, the only BD release for this series to date has been the NISA Premium Box Set (see picture), which is now a few years OOP.

bd_1.jpg

#21878 Tweeg  

Posted 05 December 2021 - 04:56 PM

Sentai Filmworks Annual Holiday Sale started yesterday!
www.sentaifilmworks.com

On the DVD side, seems like all the same 90+% off prices they had going with the Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sale are still there. For Blu-Rays, there are some lower prices than during the previous aforementioned sale. So in short, there are some deals to be had.

#21879 kmitchell28   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   211 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

kmitchell28

Posted 05 December 2021 - 07:27 PM

Humble Bundle has a couple of manga related bundles up.

Lone Wolf & Cub and other Kazuo Koike series https://www.humblebu...orse_bookbundle

Monogatari and other NISIOSIN series (most of the Monogatari novels were available in the last bundle, but there's a lot of new stuff too)

https://www.humblebu...nsha_bookbundle

#21880 inverted_fray  

inverted_fray

Posted 11 December 2021 - 07:26 AM

I'm surprised Squid Girl still hasn't gotten lower than 20 bucks and it's been out for a while now.

#21881 thelonepig   Greasy Pork Pirates! CAGiversary!   6807 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2021 - 03:48 PM

I'm surprised Squid Girl still hasn't gotten lower than 20 bucks and it's been out for a while now.

Not that this helps you now - I picked up my copy for around $15 a few years ago. Sales right now are higher than they have been in the past, presumably due to supply chain yada-yada. I suspect it will be a while before prices drop, if they drop.

#21882 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   3619 Posts   Joined 19.1 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 14 December 2021 - 03:46 PM

Not that this helps you now - I picked up my copy for around $15 a few years ago. Sales right now are higher than they have been in the past, presumably due to supply chain yada-yada. I suspect it will be a while before prices drop, if they drop.

Yeah, for the most part, sale prices are higher or reductions are smaller than in the past. It seems this is the trend and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see prices below what we saw several years ago. Physical releases are more and more a niche product that can command a premium.

#21883 Tweeg  

Posted 17 December 2021 - 01:40 AM

Yeah, for the most part, sale prices are higher or reductions are smaller than in the past. It seems this is the trend and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see prices below what we saw several years ago. Physical releases are more and more a niche product that can command a premium.

Over consolidation of IP licensees hasn't helped anything, especially with the chief offender of usurping competition being Sony.

Sentai Filmworks - One of just three two mass licensing publishers of anime left that isn't Sony.
Media Blasters - Rarely licenses anything new, outside of hentai (cultured).
RightStuf - Rarely obtains new licenses, outside of Gundam under their Bandai Sunrise partnership.
Diskotek - Could actually be successful, but apparently they don't want to be. Has the attitude that they're a 'niche publisher', like 'Criterion Collection' (hahaha!) and have purposefully reduced production run quantities of all of their releases to keep prices high.
Viz - Intently focused on licensing only long-running format series titles.
Shout Factory & GKids - Each have been very much theatrical anime movie focused in their licensing until just recently, so hard to say if either will become major mass licensing contenders in the future or not.
AnimEigo - Essentially dead... sad.
Funimation / Sony - Losing momentum under Sony's ownership, but still viable.
AniPlex USA / Sony - Basically a zombie publisher that uses Ferengi to sell gold plated latinum bars at quadruple the reasonable market price, plus S&H.
Pony Canyon USA - Basically dead. They tend to end up sub-licensing titles for home video release to Sentai.
NISA (Anime Division) - Effectively now a part of Funimation/Sony. Likewise they've been essentially dead two years now.

#21884 thelonepig   Greasy Pork Pirates! CAGiversary!   6807 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 December 2021 - 02:08 AM

Over consolidation of IP licensees hasn't helped anything, especially with the chief offender of usurping competition being Sony.

Sentai Filmworks - One of just three two mass licensing publishers of anime left that isn't Sony.
Media Blasters - Rarely licenses anything new, outside of hentai (cultured).
RightStuf - Rarely obtains new licenses, outside of Gundam under their Bandai Sunrise partnership.
Diskotek - Could actually be successful, but apparently they don't want to be. Has the attitude that they're a 'niche publisher', like 'Criterion Collection' (hahaha!) and have purposefully reduced production run quantities of all of their releases to keep prices high.
Viz - Intently focused on licensing only long-running format series titles.
Shout Factory & GKids - Each have been very much theatrical anime movie focused in their licensing until just recently, so hard to say if either will become major mass licensing contenders in the future or not.
AnimEigo - Essentially dead... sad.
Funimation / Sony - Losing momentum under Sony's ownership, but still viable.
AniPlex USA / Sony - Basically a zombie publisher that uses Ferengi to sell gold plated latinum bars at quadruple the reasonable market price, plus S&H.
Pony Canyon USA - Basically dead. They tend to end up sub-licensing titles for home video release to Sentai.
NISA (Anime Division) - Effectively now a part of Funimation/Sony. Likewise they've been essentially dead two years now.

So much of this is wrong. For one, rarely is not the same as fewer. Rightstuf, for example, regularly obtains new licenses. It's just not the six or seven monthly releases Sentai, Discotek, or Funimation are putting out. Your write up on Discotek is laughable. Viz also, particularly considering their partnership to release Crunchyroll originals. Animeigo has put out some great releases in recent years, albeit few and mostly through Kickstarter - they are also probably the smallest publisher on this list. Funimation has a huge amount of releases; suggesting Sony is somehow at fault for a perceived drop in momentum is ridiculous and simply untrue. You can be upset all you want over Aniplex prices, but they're far from dead.

#21885 Tweeg  

Posted 17 December 2021 - 03:52 AM

Well that's my take on the market. Not seen AnimeEigo KickStart anything they hadn't already published at some point in the past, hence my take on them being essentially dead as far as anime licensing is concerned.

You make a point on RightStuf, they do still license new titles, just considerably fewer titles than most other publishers... save for perhaps Media Blasters.

I've always viewed Aniplex USA as being more or less a Sony pet project that could lose money indefinitely and still they'd keep it propped up purely for sake of appearances since AniPlex is their primary anime studio, and label brand for anime they publish in Japan. It's purely a matter of public image, because I don't perceive that the USA division of Aniplex has actually turned a profit at any point since it was opened. Found myself siding with the Funimation division, post Sony's buyout of them of course, for their proposal to simply shutter Aniplex USA and consolidate their very meager operations into the better equipped Funimation. The fact that Sony refused to save money by doing this is a very clear indicator that Aniplex USA only exists for means of public image. End of the day, Aniplex USA sells overpriced (in the present era market) anime, not super cars. But the Aniplex USA pricing model is to treat their anime titles just like high-end automobiles, instead of the home video media it actually is. What makes more sense to a consumer on a budget; spend $100 and buy two or more anime titles/seasons/series from Funimation/Sentai/etc.., or to spend that same $100 on one (or two if lucky) volumes of a single series from Aniplex USA? This is CAG afterall, so you should already know my thoughts on this matter.

#21886 thelonepig   Greasy Pork Pirates! CAGiversary!   6807 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 December 2021 - 05:31 AM

Well that's my take on the market. Not seen AnimeEigo KickStart anything they hadn't already published at some point in the past, hence my take on them being essentially dead as far as anime licensing is concerned.

You make a point on RightStuf, they do still license new titles, just considerably fewer titles than most other publishers... save for perhaps Media Blasters.

I've always viewed Aniplex USA as being more or less a Sony pet project that could lose money indefinitely and still they'd keep it propped up purely for sake of appearances since AniPlex is their primary anime studio, and label brand for anime they publish in Japan. It's purely a matter of public image, because I don't perceive that the USA division of Aniplex has actually turned a profit at any point since it was opened. Found myself siding with the Funimation division, post Sony's buyout of them of course, for their proposal to simply shutter Aniplex USA and consolidate their very meager operations into the better equipped Funimation. The fact that Sony refused to save money by doing this is a very clear indicator that Aniplex USA only exists for means of public image. End of the day, Aniplex USA sells overpriced (in the present era market) anime, not super cars. But the Aniplex USA pricing model is to treat their anime titles just like high-end automobiles, instead of the home video media it actually is. What makes more sense to a consumer on a budget; spend $100 and buy two or more anime titles/seasons/series from Funimation/Sentai/etc.., or to spend that same $100 on one (or two if lucky) volumes of a single series from Aniplex USA? This is CAG afterall, so you should already know my thoughts on this matter.

Do you have any facts / details suggesting Aniplex USA is not turning a profit? I can't think of a single company that would keep a division open that isn't bringing in money. Do you have a link stating that Funimation proposed to shutter Aniplex USA? Or is that coming from armchair anime internet pundits?

It's totally okay to have an opinion. It's not okay to make sweeping generalizations as fact, particularly when your entire frustration boils down to "but they charge too much."

DId Animeigo previously have the license on Megazone? I don't recall. They definitely did not have Gunsmith Cats (so one of what, five Kickstarters?).

#21887 BigManJapan  

BigManJapan

Posted 17 December 2021 - 06:12 AM

I love the titles Diskotek releases, but I agree that some of their prices are extremely high. Goku Midnight Eye goes for $30 on DVD with barely any features and it's only a video master, not a film master. At least Cyber City Oedo got a Bluray release and Project Ako was remastered. But for their prices, not really planning to double dip on the older releases I already own. 

#21888 Puppet Master   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   488 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Puppet Master

Posted 17 December 2021 - 11:10 AM

Do you have any facts / details suggesting Aniplex USA is not turning a profit? I can't think of a single company that would keep a division open that isn't bringing in money. Do you have a link stating that Funimation proposed to shutter Aniplex USA? Or is that coming from armchair anime internet pundits?

It's totally okay to have an opinion. It's not okay to make sweeping generalizations as fact, particularly when your entire frustration boils down to "but they charge too much."

DId Animeigo previously have the license on Megazone? I don't recall. They definitely did not have Gunsmith Cats (so one of what, five Kickstarters?).

Nada it was ADV that had Megazone.

#21889 nagpo  

Posted 17 December 2021 - 11:22 AM

This got me bro. hilarious

#21890 Nothing-   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   10164 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 17 December 2021 - 04:41 PM

We live in a world where Demon Slayer - Mugen Train is launching through Funimation with the same disc (quality) as Aniplex of America with a standard edition for only $19.99 on release date.  I'd say that things are pretty okay these days lol.

Demon Slayer is an Aniplex of America property. Aniplex lovers still have the choice to buy their incredible collectors editions through them.  That's a win-win.  The public backlash from the Sony mergers is very overblown, and Sony is one of the best publishing labels in the industry.  Their (4K disc authoring) video quality has been nothing short of phenomenal.  Hopefully some of that trickles down to more of their operations and oversight at Funimation. 

#21891 Tweeg  

Posted 18 December 2021 - 11:30 PM

This was making the rounds in the anime news sites within the first months of Sony taking control of Funimation. It's technically still an ongoing matter between Funimation, Aniplex USA, and their overlords at Sony. The primary argument by Aniplex USA's staff has been that they do not want to be forced to relocate to either Texas or California in order to keep their jobs, as Aniplex USA's operations are based in Washington state. I believe ultimately that there will be a consolidation of operations though, as it really doesn't make sense to have two divisions of the same parent company doing the same exact thing and in effect competing against each other.

Having now looked at the full list of titles AnimEigo has been re-releasing via KickStarter campaigns. It's still a list of titles either they or another publisher had already previously released on at least DVD in the past.:
Bublegum Crisis - AnimEigo
Gunsmith Cats - ADV
MADOX-01: Metal Skin Panic - AnimEigo
Megazone 23 - ADV
Otaku no Video - AnimEigo
Riding Bean - AnimEigo

As for Aniplex USA's specific finance statements, no I have never seen such. Sony is very keen to only discuss the collective profits of their Aniplex division as a global whole. Finding finance data on solely "Aniplex USA" appears to be nigh impossible, clearly that is intentional. But yeah, on the global whole, Aniplex is a very profitable division for Sony. But going back to specifically Aniplex USA, keep in mind that pre-Sony's Funimation buyout, Aniplex USA was sub-licensing out Aniplex-owned titles to the highest bidding 3rd-party publishers because they lacked the budget, resources, and will to handle it all themselves. Hence numerous series over the years, shows such as 'Full Metal Alchemist', 'Angel Beats', and 'Persona 4', got licensed out by Aniplex USA to other publishers for localization and release. Call me crazy if you want, but licensing out properties they literally own and could be handling directly for maximum risk/reward profit potentials for well over ten years doesn't exactly speak to me that Aniplex USA was doing very hot financially. That would be like going to Hardee's, ordering a burger, and then someone in the kitchen running out the backdoor to buy a Big Mac at Mickey Dee's and then re-wrapping it in a Hardee's wrapper before it was served, it just doesn't make sense.

#21892 Girls with Guns   Girls With Guns CAGiversary!   271 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Girls with Guns

Posted 21 December 2021 - 06:02 AM

Well, I'll continue to buy Aniplex releases for as long as they are available, I very much appreciate them because they stick more to the Japanese format, which I much prefer. I just picked up 5 more AoA titles in the holiday sales over the past month, so I now have 102 Aniplex of America releases, 30 Aniplex of Japan releases, and 15 UK Aniplex releases in my anime collection.  Here's an older photo of my AoA collection from August, so quite a few new titles are missing:

Spoiler

#21893 Tweeg  

Posted 24 December 2021 - 03:08 AM

RACS now has all twelve of the "Salvos" of Savings up now.
http://www.animecornerstore.com

#21894 Tweeg  

Posted 26 December 2021 - 07:32 AM

Final day of the RightStuf Holiday Sale is now upon us! All 107 daily Mega Deals are back up for this final day.

#21895 Tweeg  

Posted 02 January 2022 - 09:42 PM

Today is the final day of the Sentai Holiday Sale! Sale ends in about eight hours from time of this posting.

https://www.sentaifilmworks.com/

#21896 Tweeg  

Posted 07 January 2022 - 01:41 AM

This is the final night of the RACS "Barrage of Bargains" (Holiday) Sale.
https://www.animecornerstore.com/

#21897 Tweeg  

Posted 08 January 2022 - 03:44 AM

This is the final night of the RACS "Barrage of Bargains" (Holiday) Sale.
https://www.animecornerstore.com/

And it has been extended through January 12th.

#21898 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   5213 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2022 - 03:47 PM

Anyone have experience with Target for books? They have b2g1 this week and I was thinking of pre-ordering Fate: Return to Avalon. Are they good at fulfilling orders and proper packaging?

I currently have that art book pre-ordered at Amazon for $7 more. While they're good at fulfilling, they're book packaging is always a crapshoot.

#21899 starkillr   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1629 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

starkillr

Posted 08 February 2022 - 03:57 PM

Anyone have experience with Target for books? They have b2g1 this week and I was thinking of pre-ordering Fate: Return to Avalon. Are they good at fulfilling orders and proper packaging?

I currently have that art book pre-ordered at Amazon for $7 more. While they're good at fulfilling, they're book packaging is always a crapshoot.

Rightstuf had a sale the other day for cheaper. I actually went with Amazon cuz the shipping would be faster...thinking back on that decision, I'm not sure why I care lol.

#21900 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   5213 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2022 - 04:27 PM

Rightstuf had a sale the other day for cheaper. I actually went with Amazon cuz the shipping would be faster...thinking back on that decision, I'm not sure why I care lol.

I saw that RS sale ($35 + $6 shipping). I ordered from Amazon when they had it for $40, so the cost was the same. I didn't like that RS lists shipping insurance as a paid addon. With Amazon, if there is a problem during shipping, they just ship you another without question.