Metal Gear The Legacy Collection pre order, $42.99 at Newegg

I have to admit, I'm tempted, but owning all of these games, I think I'll wait until it's cheap -- unless it's a limited release.

I've never played any of the games here. Are they good? I heard a lot of bad things about these games. Also, I thought they released this collection a couple of years ago?

I've never played any of the games here. Are they good? I heard a lot of bad things about these games. Also, I thought they released this collection a couple of years ago?
Excellent series... unless you can't stand cutscenes. An HD collection was released here, but it only included 2, 3, and Peace Walker (and the bonuses from those games).

awesome, thanks for this deal.  I was able to sell my existing HD Collection version for about $20 on Amazon, so this "upgrade" to this version was slightly cheaper now too.  Maybe I'll be able to sell my PSN code for MGS1 too since I've already bought that.

I have to admit, I'm tempted, but owning all of these games, I think I'll wait until it's cheap -- unless it's a limited release.
I'm thinking the same thing. I really want the art book, but I really can't see this being limited, so we should be able to get it cheap down the line.

I never played the original MSX/NES games, but I hear they are rather good for the period.

Metal Gear Solid 1 from the PS1 was epic. One of my top 10(maybe 5) games of all time. I actually skip the PS2 era, but my roommate had one, so I did play MGS2, but I never finished it as Raiden just brought the game down for me personally.

The PS2 was gone from the house by MGS3, so I never tried that one, but it is regarded as possibly the best of the bunch. I've got the Vita collection specifically to try this one out, but no comment as of now.

MGS4 is waaaaaaaaaay over rated IMO. The graphics where great, but the game was more about watching long drawn out story segments, than about enjoying the game. Kojima really must like to hear himself speak, as this was just painful to play. I rated it a 8/10 at best and that's being generous.

I own Peace Walker as well, but have not played that one either, but it was well received when it was released.

Overall, this is a killer set of games for the price, and if you haven't played any of these, I'm sure it would be a good value to anyone in that situation. Your getting some of the last few gens greatest received games. I have most of these games in one form or another, so besides the art book, I'm not really interest.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll look for it for maybe $20 this coming holiday season. Sounds like its worth a buy. Given the feedback, I'd buy it at this price but I don't want to feel like a chump in 5 months.

Already own the hd collection..but i don't think the artbook really justifies spending 43+ bucks just for 2 more games, as much as i want it. Don't feel like i'll play mgs1 either.

I'm thinking the same thing. I really want the art book, but I really can't see this being limited, so we should be able to get it cheap down the line.
I've never really heard of art books being bundled long term. They always seem to get cut out. So, while you may be able to get it cheaper later I can almost bet it will be limited until the initial stock is gone. After that I imagine it just being the games.

I've never really heard of art books being bundled long term. They always seem to get cut out. So, while you may be able to get it cheaper later I can almost bet it will be limited until the initial stock is gone. After that I imagine it just being the games.
Is an art book worth 20 or 30 dollars?

Against my better judgement I'm going to order this.  Why do I think that I'll see this for 19.99 or 29.99 later this year and feel buyers remorse when I look at it still unopened and unplayed?  This better be a small printing...

Against my better judgement I'm going to order this. Why do I think that I'll see this for 19.99 or 29.99 later this year and feel buyers remorse when I look at it still unopened and unplayed? This better be a small printing...
Well Metal Gear things are hard to gauge. Considering this looks to be above what we typically see in a game, I don't see it going too cheap. It might get discounted a little, but fans will probably snatch whatever remains.

I haven't been following this version, but the last collection with artbook was hard to find after release. After that there was only the game. I decided to get this, although I don't know how many versions of some of these MGS games I have. The collector in me is not a rational person.

I haven't been following this version, but the last collection with artbook was hard to find after release. After that there was only the game. I decided to get this, although I don't know how many versions of some of these MGS games I have. The collector in me is not a rational person.
One thing that bothers me a bit is that two of the games are download codes which means once I use them, the collection will be "incomplete" so to speak. :(

On the other hand, the PSN won't support PS3 games forever so if you don't use the codes, eventually they'll be invalid.

Crap great price. So this might seem like a dumb question, but did anyone pre-order this with the $20 Promo Credit from Amazon Trade-in awhile back? If I cancel my order, I'd still get that promo credit back right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just preordered it myself. Better than amazon since its free shipping and no tax for me. Plus its a hell of a deal for the number of game you are getting.

Although it's an incredible value considering everything that it comes with (even with the vouchers), I have a feeling we'll see this again on Black Friday.  I'll wait for the $20-30 range before I jump.  But thanks for the pre-order code, OP, I'm sure there are some folks who will want to grab the pre-order for the artbook (just in case it's limited.)

Even at this price I guess it's not too bad for someone like me that's never played any of these.  That's roughly $5 per game + free art book.  I'm actually a little excited about this since I've never played any of these and people are saying they're good.  Obviously I won't be playing it right away...but still!

I still haven't touched this series but I've been meaning to get to it... really.  Now with a PS4 purchase on the horizon, I can't in good conscience order this right now.  The moment it hits $30 though, I doubt I'll be able to resist any longer.  Appreciate the heads up OP.

Was going to wait but there's a ton of value here for around $40. For anyone uninitiated with the series, check out the MGS5 trailer shown at E3 this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhxtfpYo7yo

While none of the previous games in this collection are open world, the trailer should give you a taste of the cinematic style and unique quality the series holds.

So I went for the BB pricematch. Waiting to hear back if it's approved - it's weird, they said the price match qualifies, but they'll get back to me within 48 hours, but by that time the sale will be over? I took the order and took a screenshot to be safe, but I hope they don't screw me over here.

I mainly want the HD collection for MGS 3 and Peace Walker. Am currently TRYING to play MGS 3 on my PS2 (using my monster component cables), but ffs I can't bring myself to play it, it's just too blurry/jaggy. Just beat MGS Twin Snakes and MGS 2 last week (currently working my way through the series) which were bearable. Is there THAT much of a difference between MGS 3 on PS3 (even with component cables) and MGS 3 HD Collection to warrant buying this or the MGS HD Collection?

im still meh about this only having a digital copy of mgs1, but i love me an artbook. just checkinmg: the amazon versions the same as the newegg version right? has the artbook and stuff? its not pictured on amazons site

So I went for the BB pricematch. Waiting to hear back if it's approved - it's weird, they said the price match qualifies, but they'll get back to me within 48 hours, but by that time the sale will be over? I took the order and took a screenshot to be safe, but I hope they don't screw me over here.
ummm thats shady. pms should be instant. sounds like they were just stalling you for some reason to not have to pm

I'm curious how trophies are going to be for this. Will these have separate lists then the games in the other HD collection? Will mgs1 and the metal gear games have trophy lists?

I'm curious how trophies are going to be for this. Will these have separate lists then the games in the other HD collection? Will mgs1 and the metal gear games have trophy lists?
Mgs1 is the DL version so you can probably find out.

Personally I can't wait till they put the new software update for ps3 back out so i can disable trophy notifications.

Is there THAT much of a difference between MGS 3 on PS3 (even with component cables) and MGS 3 HD Collection to warrant buying this or the MGS HD Collection?
Basically the HD collection provides cleaner textures, the ability to play at 720P, a larger field of view thanks to widescreen, & a much better framerate (60 FPS, but with some noticeable dips at times).

i own all of these but i feel compelled to buy it anyways. anyone who hasnt played these games should immediately buy this.

Is there THAT much of a difference between MGS 3 on PS3 (even with component cables) and MGS 3 HD Collection to warrant buying this or the MGS HD Collection?
Basically the HD collection provides cleaner textures, the ability to play at 720P, a larger field of view thanks to widescreen, & a much better framerate (60 FPS, but with some noticeable dips at times).
Good enough for me. Even though I have the Essential Collection on PS2, I just bought the HD Collection on PS3 from Amazon Warehouse. Will probably try and sell one (or both) when I'm done with the series.

If I didn't already own the HD collection I might be tempted. But the fact that they still haven't included Twin Snakes in any of the rereleases is pretty disappointing too.

If I didn't already own the HD collection I might be tempted. But the fact that they still haven't included Twin Snakes in any of the rereleases is pretty disappointing too.
I don't think they have the rights to the game (Silicon Knights made the game), but I totally agree with you. I don't think I would have otherwise been able to fully enjoy the MGS experience if I had just played the original PS1 game. I don't mind the graphics, it's just that I had previously played MGS 2 and was used to the way the game was set up.

Twin Snakes is nothing compared to MGS1. I feel bad for newcomers when people recommend Twin Snakes. MGS1 holds up completely.

Twin Snakes is nothing compared to MGS1. I feel bad for newcomers when people recommend Twin Snakes. MGS1 holds up completely.
I dunno. It's a mixed bag. Twin Snakes was based on the MGS2 engine and featured a number of improvements (like first person aiming), but those improvements weren't accounted for in the level design in the original and hence made the game easier than the original. On the other hand, the incredibly over-the-top, John Woo-esque movie sequences really undermined the story, which I felt was presented better overall in MGS1. Plus the accents; for whatever reason, any characters with foreign accents lost them in Twin Snakes, and that also lessened the immersion factor IMHO. So there's give n' take. I enjoyed them both.

Pre-ordered. Great price for long term gamers of these series :). I doubt future copies of the game will contain the art book.

You realize this is like 99.9999999999999% chance of just being reskined stuff, right?

1 disc will have the HD collection, which will work like the HD collection does not. Another disc will have MGS 4 Trophy Edition, which will work as a new copy of MGS 4 does now or older copy with the patch (save a few trivial features). MGS 1 will be the PS1 classic, which is awesome for being digital, since it should or at least at some point work on the PlayStation Vita / PSP.

bread's done
Back