Here's how Sony & Microsoft will still win the used game fight.

thadwhit

CAGiversary!
Now both consoles have used game discs, just like its always been on consoles.  They can still push digital downloads by offering deals, which will eliminate used discs.  

But the way they could eliminate them in a big way would be to offer a console at a cheap entry price, with a big hard drive, and no disc drive.  How many people would buy an Xbox One for $300 if it didn't have a disc drive?  I bet a shitload.  Sony could do the same thing.  

Next year's E3 they will come out with small, sexy, new consoles with no disc drive.  They'd be crazy not to.

Next year's E3 they will come out with small, sexy, new consoles with no disc drive. They'd be crazy not to.
While this is possible, it isn't particularly likely. The big problem with your theory is that at this point, the disc drive is not the bulk of the expense for either console. It would have resulted in significant savings when the PS3 came out, because the Blu-Ray drive was new technology at the time. But now? Blu-Ray players are quite common, and not particularly expensive. The production costs of Blu-Ray drives is not so great that removing it from these consoles would allow for major production savings.

At the same time, there is possibility in what you're proposing. Once they've had these systems out on the market for a year, they could release a console like you're describing INSTEAD of issuing a price cut on the original model. Gamers who are willing to give up their physical discs could get the disc-less system for $100 less.

Sure it could happen and I'm even ok with the fact that at some point everything will be digital only. I've been trying to switch to digital (well at least older games in the backlog) to get rid of some of the clutter. When games have been going cheap on PS3 or XBOX I've been buying them and selling off my physical copies. The thing is this: I recently wanted to buy The Last Of Us. I was all set to plunk down $60 and get it digitally. Then the little voice in my head said yeah but if you just get the disc you can buy it, play it, and sell it off quickly recouping maybe somewhere around 2\3rds of the intial cost. That led me to buy a physical copy. All though a cheaper console is nice I think the overall savings with the games would outweigh it.

[/quote] Then the little voice in my head said yeah but if you just get the disc you can buy it, play it, and sell it off quickly recouping maybe somewhere around 2\3rds of the intial cost. That led me to buy a physical copy. All though a cheaper console is nice I think the overall savings with the games would outweigh it.[/quote]

Im going all digital next gen. This little voice has been the reason I've stuck with physical as well, "When you finish it, you can get rid of it". I wander how small they could make the 360 if it didn't have a disc drive. "Microconsole"? Doubtful, but to have a super small 360 with portability and no stress of scratching discs is appealing to me.

bread's done
Back