Target Trade-In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockabye

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
(Apologies in advance if this is threaded elsewhere; a couple searches turned up nothing.)

I had no idea that Target accepted trade-ins of electronics, games included, before today, but I swung by my local Target and saw an ad in the story (that I neglected to snap a pic of) and then looked it up online.

Lo and behold, there's a Target trade-in program. The interface is clunky, and not gonna yield TIVs all that easily, but it appears that Target accepts 360, PS3, Wii U, Wii, Xbox, PS2, PS, DS, Vita, and PSP games -- because the program's powered by NextWorth (much more searchable interface, FYI), which buys the games.

You're not going to get a lot for them, especially the older games (I nosed around a little), but this might well be a sign that Target actually wants to compete in the secondary market. And, if this is important, you apparently are getting cash, not credit, for the games.

They have been doing so for awhile. Im guessing you missed the trade ANY 2 games get $20 off promotion last year. Was a blast buying $0.50 games and gettting $20 off. Haha.

It's been around for, what, a year now? Longer maybe? Nobody talks about it because it's a joke; they have never had one good trade value, let alone a flip. A nice effort, OP, but I wouldn't waste more time looking over their values if I were you.

It's been around for, what, a year now? Longer maybe? Nobody talks about it because it's a joke; they have never had one good trade value, let alone a flip. A nice effort, OP, but I wouldn't waste more time looking over their values if I were you.
Halo 4
Code:
Disc cracked or badly scratched?
[_] Yes
[X] No

Original Artwork included?
[X] Yes
[_] No

Original Case included?
[X] Yes
[_] No

We'll Pay: $8.85
I think joke is an understatement.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have been doing so for awhile. Im guessing you missed the trade ANY 2 games get $20 off promotion last year. Was a blast buying $0.50 games and gettting $20 off. Haha.
I very much missed this, yes. Ha!

A little more Googling says Target's had something since either 2010 or 2011, but the NextWorth integration looks new. I'd never seen an ad in a Target before tonight, though, and I guess dropping things off at a Target could be more convenient than mailing them? (This ain't Convenient Ass Gamer, obviously.)

Also, because this is something I think of, part of the reason for the thread was that I know RED Card cardholders get 5% off, and was thinking that, if this gave Target credit, it might help ... but the values suck, so whatever.

They'll give $1.04 for a disc only copy of Madden 2001 for PS2.

Might be some gems in there after all!

EDIT: $4.17 for a disc only copy of MVP Baseball 06 for PS2

EDIT2: Madden 2004 PS1 gets $6.80 with the case/manual.

They'll give $1.04 for a disc only copy of Madden 2001 for PS2.

Might be some gems in there after all!

EDIT: $4.17 for a disc only copy of MVP Baseball 06 for PS2

EDIT2: Madden 2004 PS1 gets $6.80 with the case/manual.
i swear i saw a madden 2004 somewhere, i believe it had eddie george on the cover, now where was that at...

Man that was such a great deal! I traded in my copies of Sneak King and Big Bumpin' and ended up getting Portal 2 for $9.99 brand spankin' new.

Yeah it is a complete joke. It has been around for at LEAST two years now.

I actually worked at Target Mobile for a brief time and I don't think a single person ever traded anything in once they heard the values. I would always just have to warn them before hand and then I referred them to Gamestop half the time haha

I'm going to send them this (half of them are complete copies believe it or not):

Trade-in Cart
Item     Value     
    NBA 2K3 (PS2)     $1.05
    NCAA Football 2003 (Xbox)     $2.33
    MLB 2000 (PlayStation)     $8.02
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (PlayStation)     $2.79
    NCAA March Madness 2004 (PS2)     $8.24
    MX Unleashed (PS2)     $11.13
    Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding (Xbox)     $2.50
    MVP NCAA Baseball 06 (PS2)     $4.17
    Mort the Chicken (PlayStation)     $12.80
    Grand Tour Racing 98 (PlayStation)     $4.37
    Madden NFL 2004 (PlayStation)     $6.81
    Triple Play 97 (PlayStation)     $7.09
    Cool Boarders 3 (PlayStation)     $3.64
    NFL Fever 2002 (Xbox)     $5.14
    NBA Live 2002 (Xbox)     $1.05
    Exhibition (Xbox)     $3.07
    MLB '98 (PlayStation)     $12.80
    Nagano Winter Olympics '98 (PlayStation)     $2.50
    PGA Tour 98 (PlayStation)     $1.04
Total: $100.54

I'll let you know how it pans out.

Tip: They pay $2.15 for disc only Link's Corssbow training.
Tip #2: Use the actual NextWorth site to get paid in Paypal or check instead of Target Gift card.

Halo 4
Code:
[_] Yes
[X] No

[X] Yes
[_] No

Original Case included?
[X] Yes
[_] No

It doesn't seem too bad, GameStop is about $9 right now, about a $0.15 difference.

Halo 4
[_] Yes
[X] No

[X] Yes
[_] No

Original Case included?
[X] Yes
[_] No

Really? You think you should get more? The game is sub 20 used.

I think I'll trade in my Tales of Symphonia Gamecube version for $20 since Ebay prices are plummeting due to the announcement of the hd version and will pick up 2 JustDance 3 copies to add as filler for the 3/5/7 promo at Gamestop to have 7 games total instead of 5.

:xbox: Conker Live and Reloaded $17.38

:xbox: Advent Rising $3.35

:xbox: Breakdown $2.46

:xbox: Psychonauts $3.56

:xbox: Beyond Good and Evil $0.77

:xbox: X-Men Legends (missing artwork) $5.96

:ds: The Rub Rabbits $1.73

:ds: Hotel Dusk $1.22

:ds: Lunar Knights $3.78

Could probably get a little more for Conker if I was lucky but it's not exactly crazy uncommon based on the number of copies I can find out there for about that price.  Sadly I held onto Psychonauts and BGE far too long since there was a point where it looked like the prices were just going to keep climbing and now they've tanked to nothing.  Hate to let the last of my Xbox stuff go on one hand, on the other $27 is better than them continuing to sit and collect dust.

Edit- Anyone got a referral code they want me to use for NextWorth?  First person to post or PM it, says you get a $10 gift card on the site for getting a friend to trade.

GGG mode: This post is not about video games.

I wouldn't dismiss Target's trade-in program so quickly. Yes, this is a videogame-centric website, but you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice by not keeping your eyes out on their trade-in program as a whole. Trade-ins are processed by Target Mobile, whose phone inventory are owned by Target, which means Target control the prices of the phones, which means if the phones aren't priced lower than if you were to get yours directly from your carrier's store, then they're at the very most the same. And sometimes they run insane promotions regarding their trade-in program. For example, for the first two weeks earlier this month, the iPhone 5 was on sale for $149.99 (from $199.99), while the 4S was $49.99 (from $99.99), both if you're either starting up a new 2-year contract, or if you're eligible for an upgrade. The trade-in promotion running concurrently with the sale was this: If you traded in any phone - ANY PHONE - that still turns on, toward the purchase of either the iPhone 4S or the 5, you get $50 on top of the trade-in value of that phone. This means a person can effectively trade in their hand-me-down mother-effin' flip phone, and just so long as it powers up, get $50 plus the trade-in value of said phone, and walk out of the door with a free iPhone 4s and possibly some remaining funds on a Target giftcard, which is what your trade-in is loaded on. And for those who owned a 4S and wanted to upgrade to a 5 (and if their 4S wasn't damaged in any way), they would get ~$235 as the TIV of their 4S, plus another $50 via the promotion, pay $150 for the 5, and leave with a new phone and over $100 left on their giftcard. Not too shabby in my book. For those who may be interested, while the sales are over with and the phones are back up to their normal prices, the $50 promotion is still going on.

And no, I don't work for Target Mobile.

Tl;dr - While Target Mobile's trade-in program may not be the best route to take for your games, they sometimes run crazy deals for other things, so don't so quickly laugh them off as " a joke".

So no one has a referral code they want me to use so they can get the bonus?
I considered it, and even made a half-hearted attempt at trying to obtain one, but quickly gave up when I couldn't figure it out in the six minutes that I tried.

I went to the store with about 30 or so ps1 games. I will post the full list here but there are a LOT of ps1 games that get $20 even in store. For example, gran turismo 1, ape escape, air combat, ace combat 2, battle arena toshinden, and many other relatively common games.

I got a $375 gift card for a stack of ps1 games. They must be complete and not be really scratched or the value goes down to less than a dollar. Some of these were probably worth about $20 in good shape, but some like PGA tour golf 96 certainly weren't. I've been collecting playstation 1 for a while so not everyone will have these games or duplicates on hand, but it worked out awesome for me, and I pretty we'll paid off my ps4 if I get one, or quite a few holiday releases if I don't.

I looked over the ps2 and Xbox values and it doesn't seem to have any unusually high values for common games like ps1 does. I suspect this is like the amazon shenanigans where they were paying $30 for ps1 and n64 games that were fairly common and won't last long.

Last edited:
Here's what I traded in but this isn't all the high values obviously.All PS1 games.

Cyber Speed - $16.00

Gran Turismo 1- 7.92

Wing Commander 3 - $20

Assault Rigs - $20

Cyberia - $20

Air Combat - $12.57

Twisted Metal - $20

Alien Trilogy - $16.32

Pga tour golf 96 - $6.81

Battle Arena Toshinden - $20

Lemmings 3D - $20

Rage Racer - $20

Heart of Darkness - $16.00

Wipeout XL - $18.30

Jurassic Park Lost World - $20

Tenchu 2 - $2.02

Lucky Luke - $19.78

Colony Wars 3 Red Sun - 9.39

Felony 11-79 - $11.13

Ace Combat 2 - 20.00

Ape Escape - $20.00

Die Hard Trilogy - $7.68

Soul Blade - $11.13

Runabout 2 - $4.47

WIpeout 3- $16.89

So not all of them were $20, many more were $20 on the website, and I'll miss a few of these like the Namco games, but I have disc only  duplicates so I'm not too heartbroken. Many of them were greatest hits and in pretty poor condition, but didn't get dinged on the condition. YMMV, obviously, but it was worth the time for me. $375 for 25 common PS1 games is hard to beat.

Last edited:
So not all of them were $20, many more were $20 on the website, and I'll miss a few of these like the Namco games, but I have disc only duplicates so I'm not too heartbroken. Many of them were greatest hits and in pretty poor condition, but didn't get dinged on the condition. YMMV, obviously, but it was worth the time for me. $375 for 25 common PS1 games is hard to beat.
So what did you turn around and blow that fat gift card on? ;)

well we're having a baby, so we considered some large baby item, but we haven't done a shower so we'll probably get those as gifts. I just ended up buying a copy of Mario Kart Wii and groceries, and have the majority of it left. Target doesn't sell amazon gift cards, but they do sell steam gift cards. I figure I'll use it for either groceries and household stuff and bank the money I would have spent for a PS4, but i'm not completely 100% sure i want one yet.

well we're having a baby, so we considered some large baby item, but we haven't done a shower so we'll probably get those as gifts. I just ended up buying a copy of Mario Kart Wii and groceries, and have the majority of it left. Target doesn't sell amazon gift cards, but they do sell steam gift cards. I figure I'll use it for either groceries and household stuff and bank the money I would have spent for a PS4, but i'm not completely 100% sure i want one yet.
Well congratulations and bigger congratulations on the restraint and wise spending.

Well there was the affomentioned launch promo where, with very little effort, you could trade in practically anything and receive a $20 off any $29.99 game (although the coupon worked on ANY priced game...meaning any game $20 or less would be free). I traded in free and $.01 or less demo discs for PS1,PS2, and original Xbox. Also traded in ancient PC games.

Best part was that while the SKUs for the coupon changed/expired daily, they were generic per day. Get one in the morning when Target opened (or the phone/trade in guy showed up), copy it or take a pic on your smart phone, and go to town.

There was a Deal prior to that as well, for trading in cell phones and get a $30 target giftcard I think it was. I traded in cordless phones and old junk cell phones that were free or next to nothing.

Well there was the affomentioned launch promo where, with very little effort, you could trade in practically anything and receive a $20 off any $29.99 game (although the coupon worked on ANY priced game...meaning any game $20 or less would be free). I traded in free and $.01 or less demo discs for PS1,PS2, and original Xbox. Also traded in ancient PC games.

Best part was that while the SKUs for the coupon changed/expired daily, they were generic per day. Get one in the morning when Target opened (or the phone/trade in guy showed up), copy it or take a pic on your smart phone, and go to town.

There was a Deal prior to that as well, for trading in cell phones and get a $30 target giftcard I think it was. I traded in cordless phones and old junk cell phones that were free or next to nothing.
FYI...that promo was not a "launch" promo. They were taking game trade-ins long before that. SDers were doing that photocopy mess and was frowned upon here.

You can email them for a personal quote or something. That's what I plan to do with the unlisted games later.

Also redid my order. The price to the right is the value before the 10% bonus. Value after 10% bonus is directly below the title to the left.

Trade-in Cart
Item     Value     
    Madden NFL 2004 (PlayStation)     $6.81
$7.49
    Ape Escape (PlayStation)     $20.00
$22.00
    Triple Play 97 (PlayStation)     $7.09
$7.79
    Cool Boarders 3 (PlayStation)     $3.64
$4.00
    Grand Tour Racing 98 (PlayStation)     $4.37
$4.80
    NCAA Football 2003 (Xbox)     $3.65
$4.01
    NCAA March Madness 2004 (PS2)     $8.24
$9.06
    MX Unleashed (PS2)     $11.13
$12.24
    NFL Fever 2002 (Xbox)     $5.14
$5.65
    NBA Live 2002 (Xbox)     $0.84
$0.92
    Exhibition (Xbox)     $3.07
$3.37
    Link's Crossbow Training (Nintendo Wii)     $2.15
$2.36
    Mort the Chicken (PlayStation)     $12.80
$14.08
    MVP NCAA Baseball 06 (PS2)     $4.17
$4.58
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (PlayStation)     $2.79
$3.06
    Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding (Xbox)     $2.51
$2.76
    MLB 2000 (PlayStation)     $8.03
$8.83
    Nagano Winter Olympics '98 (PlayStation)     $2.51
$2.76
    PGA Tour 98 (PlayStation)     $1.04
$1.14
    MLB '98 (PlayStation)     $12.80
$14.08
    Alien Hominid (GameCube)     $1.09
$1.19
    Need For Speed: Most Wanted (GameCube)     $0.85
$0.93
    Hot Shots Golf (PlayStation)     $20.00
$22.00
    WWF Smackdown 2: Know Your Role (PlayStation)     $20.00
$22.00
    WipeOut (PlayStation)     $15.45
$16.99
Bonus Value: $17.92! Total: $198.09

Does anyone know if the game does not come up in the trade value do they still buy it or not???
There is a generic game SKU for each system that was used during the trade any 2 get $20 off coupon deal, however it will give $0 credit/value for that normally. It's treated as one of those "we won't give you anything for this but we will be happy to take it off your hands and recycle it for you free of charge" offers.

They are going to lose their asses giving people 20$ for those games
The thingis that a lot of those long boxes games and games like ape escape, ace combat 2, and rage racer probably would cost you about $20 on ebay/amazon for a complete, good condition copy.

This just doesn't have the hassle of shipping and ebay fees..

The thingis that a lot of those long boxes games and games like ape escape, ace combat 2, and rage racer probably would cost you about $20 on ebay/amazon for a complete, good condition copy.

perhaps but those sports games? seriously why are those getting above 5 cents.

You can get most of them in good or very good condition on amazon for cheaper than they are buying them

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back