Companies Delaying Packages?

SativaSam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Hey guys, not sure where to put this I just have a quick question. I ordered Project X Zone from Gamestop yesterday and chose the cheapest shipping (which is still $3.50, and in my opinion is too expensive for "value" shipping and the speed given. I've shipped games first class w/ tracking for cheaper) because I don't believe in paying absurd prices for shipping (mainly because I am used to Amazon Prime) I only bought the game from them because I have $20 in gift cards and wanted to get rid of them. Anyways, I placed the order and tracked it today, and it's already in Tennessee and I live in Georgia. 95% of the time, that means the game will be at my house in 1 more business day. However, it says that it is scheduled for Monday delivery.

My question is, do companies tell shippers like UPS to hold packages? The package is already in Tennessee, I had a package start in Kentucky yesterday and it got here today. Or is this all just bad luck? I'm just curious because it seems like if you don't buy the ridiculously expensive shipping option ($10 for shipping? almost as much as my order? no thanks) they purposely slow down your package and make sure it sits in a facility for 4-5 days.

The delivery company might delay the delivery to save money/send it via a cheaper route or wait until they have more packages heading to your area.

Insightful and informative... thanks...
What more did you need to know? You're making it sound like there's some conspiracy here... and there isn't. The answer to your question is no.

UPS doesn't make money by holding packages because GS asked them to. They make money by processing packages as fast as fucking possible. A package sitting in their processing center does nothing for them, other than killing their lead time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't really understand why a package from Kentucky would get to my house in 1 business day whereas a package in Tennessee is supposed to sit for 4-5 days? Obviously the shipping speeds selected for each was different, but it shouldn't just sit in a facility one state above me for several days then actually move for delivery. Just confused is all.

Speed variances are due to the volume of packages. It makes sense to wait a day or two at a distribution center to get a truck (or plane) as full as possible because it'll save on costs (ie, marginal fuel costs decrease, drivers get paid the same amount whether a truck is full or empty).  Your package from Kentucky may have gotten to the outgoing truck just before it left, whereas your package in Tennessee might have just missed the truck.

Parcel carriers aren't going to have transport going to and from every city, every day, unless they want to go bankrupt fast.

What more did you need to know? You're making it sound like there's some conspiracy here... and there isn't. The answer to your question is no.

UPS doesn't make money by holding packages because GS asked them to. They make money by processing packages as fast as fucking possible. A package sitting in their processing center does nothing for them, other than killing their lead time.
+1

Conspiracy theorists drive me nuts. Its all about the money.

Speed variances are due to the volume of packages. It makes sense to wait a day or two at a distribution center to get a truck (or plane) as full as possible because it'll save on costs (ie, marginal fuel costs decrease, drivers get paid the same amount whether a truck is full or empty). Your package from Kentucky may have gotten to the outgoing truck just before it left, whereas your package in Tennessee might have just missed the truck.

Parcel carriers aren't going to have transport going to and from every city, every day, unless they want to go bankrupt fast.
That's what it is.

With Prime stuff that doesn't happen as Amazon is paying for guaranteed 2nd day delivery so that's going out regardless.

But with standard shipping it's a longer range estimate (3-5 business days usually, sometimes longer depending on carrier and service) so they'll sit on things until a truck or plane is more full to be more efficient and save costs to up their profits.

As others noted, carriers have no financial incentive to slow down deliveries at the bequest of a retailer. If they do it, it's because it saves them money to wait until they have more things in your region/route.

Retailers can delay giving things to the carrier though if they want to encourage people to pay for shipping--but that's pretty rare. I did notice that when Amazon started offering Prime the free shipping orders ($25+) were starting to take longer to ship out (a week plus sometimes, rather than a day or two to go out)--that was part of the reason I ended up springing for Prime. I don't know if they still do that. Prime has been great for me with how much I order from them (rare to not order at least one thing a week) and use the streaming video (saves me paying for Netflix streaming--selection not as good, but plenty for me as I still have Netflix for Blurays).

It's probably more UPS than anything. I don't know what it with with UPS & their shipping facilities in TN. But even to me, they always seem to sit there for a couple days doing nothing once they're in that state.

I did notice that when Amazon started offering Prime the free shipping orders ($25+) were starting to take longer to ship out (a week plus sometimes, rather than a day or two to go out)--that was part of the reason I ended up springing for Prime. I don't know if they still do that.
Yeah, Amazon still does that. It even states in their FAQ that free shipping orders will take 5-8 business days to be process & delivered. I know that with the order I placed on tuesday that has an estimated delivery date of July 1-8(because July 4th screwed up the dates).

You could also end up having your package delivered by USPS. Just because something starts off with one carrier doesn't mean it won't end with another.

Value UPS and DHL services typically end with USPS.

Either way most large companies don't use straight up USPS anymore. That means you're not going to get games first class very frequently.

That shipping method where UPS/FedEx gives the packages to USPS stinks. Waiting those extra days is terrible, especially when you can't track shipments once it reaches USPS. It would be great if websites would be more specific in their shipping methods. I would assume that ground shipping would equal UPS/FedEx Ground. But sometimes, you just find out that it means SurePost/SmartPost.

The service doesn't always mean extra days though.  A lot of my Amazon prime orders end up UPS Mail Innovations or FedEx Smartpost where they get delivered by USPS and still come in 1-2 days.

It's just when it's a cheaper shipping option that it takes longer, rather than anything that goes to USPS.  If you want things quick, get Prime--well worth the money.  Even more so for me with the streaming movies and kindle book a month.

I seldom order from other places, but I usually spring for the 2 day shipping when I do (as long as it's not outrageous).

The service doesn't always mean extra days though. A lot of my Amazon prime orders end up UPS Mail Innovations or FedEx Smartpost where they get delivered by USPS and still come in 1-2 days.

It's just when it's a cheaper shipping option that it takes longer, rather than anything that goes to USPS. If you want things quick, get Prime--well worth the money. Even more so for me with the streaming movies and kindle book a month.

I seldom order from other places, but I usually spring for the 2 day shipping when I do (as long as it's not outrageous).
The best is when i order something Saturday night or sunday morning and somehow it's at my house by Mondays mail delivery. I think the amazon warehouse is right next door to a USPS facility.

Yeah I have Amazon Prime... I only ordered from Gamestop because I had 20$ in discounts. I actually ordered some screen protectors Saturday night from Amazon and they got here today, I was amazed. It really sucks when you try to order from anywhere besides Amazon and have to pay tax and shipping... it makes it such a harder purchase lol. Thankfully I rarely ever have to order from someone else.

Yeah I have Amazon Prime... I only ordered from Gamestop because I had 20$ in discounts. I actually ordered some screen protectors Saturday night from Amazon and they got here today, I was amazed. It really sucks when you try to order from anywhere besides Amazon and have to pay tax and shipping... it makes it such a harder purchase lol. Thankfully I rarely ever have to order from someone else.
Thing is, even if the retailer doesn't charge you tax, you're required to claim it on your taxes as "use tax", though that's another conversation for another day.

Part of the "delay" comes from the fact that some vendors don't have as many fulfillment houses around the country as Amazon does, as I think there are 3-4 of them within a 300-400 mile radius from my ZIP code, so that's also part of why it seems that Amazon packages come quicker than other vendors. Best Buy, Gamestop and other vendors besides Amazon usually have multiple fulfillment houses, though Amazon has fourteen of them across the country.

bread's done
Back