Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition $10.19 on GG (Steam key)

I have never player demons souls or dark souls. Should I get into it at this price and for this edition?
This "Prepare To Edition" is the only edition of Dark Souls on the PC (currently).

And *this* edition includes the $15 Artorias of the Abyss DLC with it (that console gamers have to actually pay for).

You definitely NEED the DSFix Mod (see the link Argyle linked) so you can boost the games' graphics settings/quality (SSAO settings, AA, DOF, etc) and unlock the resolution (it's stuck in 1024x768, IIRC by default - you can really boost it up w/ DSFix). For example - I have it w/ DSFix set on 1980x1020.

You definitely NEED a controller to play this game. It's very clunky w/ a KB+mouse - and obviously this game was NOT built for that. This is a console game ported to the PC - and it shows, in the controls regard.

The game's combat is amazing and as precise as can be. IMHO, the game itself is downright hard & brutal - so, hardcore gamers should only apply. Think like NES-hard. If you easily rage-quit games and don't come back, this game might not be for you. But, do know this - when you finally get a victory over an enemy driving you crazy, mini-boss, demon, or boss - it's the best feeling in the world! You feel like you actually accomplished something.

The funny thing is: it's a game that punishes you a lot, when you make mistakes and fail, but you might keep coming back for more. Here's why: when you die, you lose your souls - and it dangles that carrot (of Souls) so you want to go back to where you died and go get your Souls back. The thing is: when you reach a Bonfire, most enemies flat-out respawn within the area - so, you can try to grind your way a bit to try to redo areas over and over to try to make success a bit easier for you (whether upgrading weapons, leveling up, ascending weapons, etc etc)...

EDIT:

I should warn you - the game requires both Steam (For install/playing) and G4WL (to play online, if you so choose to).

Last edited by a moderator:
That's all great information thanks. Is the pc player base still active? And you think a GTX 580 will run it nicely maxed ?

Buy the PS3 version if you have the console, I think it's the most active playerbase of the three.

That's all great information thanks. Is the pc player base still active? And you think a GTX 580 will run it nicely maxed ?
I'm still currently playing it, yep. :D

About playing online w/ others - Dark Souls acts....much different. It's MP is often...inverted.

See, most of the time, you'll likely be Hollow. When you're Hollow, you have no help - and just play and go about your business.

When playing online, Hollow or Not - you can touch Bloodstains of players (to see how they died); read any messages players dropped on the ground in-game (that often warn you about upcoming enemies, bosses, traps, item-drops, etc - or sometimes players will troll you and have dropped a bullcrap message to you); or so you can drop your own Message to players.

You need to use Humanity somehow (killing enemies from drops, finding it, etc) to get the MP really going, so you can no longer be Hollow - which is where you can summon other players and/or NPC's to help in areas or especially for Boss Fights; Invade Other Player's worlds or to have other players Invade Your World (that's to try and gain some Humanity from the other player).

EDIT:

Oh, I have a i7 950; 1 GB of GTX 560 Ti; and 8 GB RAM; Windows 7 64-bit; 23'' HP 2311x monitor. I run the game w/ DSFIx installed, with it running at 1920x1080 w/ everything cranked-up EXCEPT SSAO. I had to turn off SSAO. SSAO is intensive - and it can cause the framerate in some areas to drop from its locked 30 frames per second to say 15 or less (especially in Demon Ruins - where there's lots of lava).

Buy the PS3 version if you have the console, I think it's the most active playerbase of the three.
Except for 100 other reasons you should buy it for PC... Yeah it's a meh port, but DsFix makes it amazing. You can mod the game, and you can play it without Blighttown dropping to 15fps or less. You can also see some amazing visuals the PS3 version doesn't have. So if you're talking about a SINGLE point that's completely arguable, sure. If you're looking for players on PC just go to r/darksouls you'll find plenty.

Do yourself a favor and learn the mechanics - the game teaches you nothing, and the multiplayer is overrated. You can play the entire game Hollow for the most part without many negative repercussions (I'm excluding kindling really). I also recommend some form of magic for newbies. Pyromancer is a great starter class. (Your starting class means little other than your initial stats and equipment, you can do whatever you want with your toon).

Edit: I have a slightly less powerful box than Mystery, with an i5-2500k Overclocked to 4.4ghz and a GTX480 1.5GB. I ran with mostly everything cranked up at 1900x1200 (blackbars widescreen isn't supported). I didn't use SSAO at all but I ran at a full 60fps (capped it for screen tearing) with ZERO issues and it is beautiful. I had relock the FPS to 30 once to make a jump but that only required hitting backspace on my KB.

Except for 100 other reasons you should buy it for PC... Yeah it's a meh port, but DsFix makes it amazing. You can mod the game, and you can play it without Blighttown dropping to 15fps or less. You can also see some amazing visuals the PS3 version doesn't have. So if you're talking about a SINGLE point that's completely arguable, sure. If you're looking for players on PC just go to r/darksouls you'll find plenty.

Do yourself a favor and learn the mechanics - the game teaches you nothing, and the multiplayer is overrated. You can play the entire game Hollow for the most part without many negative repercussions (I'm excluding kindling really). I also recommend some form of magic for newbies. Pyromancer is a great starter class. (Your starting class means little other than your initial stats and equipment, you can do whatever you want with your toon).
You definitely make me want to play it on PC lol. I have a controller and everything as well so I will probably take the plunge on here. Thanks for the input guys

Should have waited and bought this on PC.  

I got this on Xbox Live couple of weeks ago during the sale but the framerate is downright unacceptable.

I heard rumors you could get banned from GFWL for using mods, If thats the case, i find it particularly weird that the developers also said they would release a mod kit,

Again, just rumors.

Aside from Dark Souls being perhaps the greatest game of this generation, I found the DLC to be awesome even without achievements.  Dark Souls 2 might be the one game a year I actually pay $60 for (although this year will be different with the new systems coming out).

This was $7.50 on Amazon not too long ago. Just a heads up that it's been cheaper for those planning to add this to a backlog.

bread's done
Back