Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - $28.72 + Free S&H @ Amazon

Which is better? The Wii version or this one? Being able to play in 3D doesn't matter to me.
They're supposed to be all but identical so go with which system you prefer to play on, though you'll find the Wii version cheaper at this point. aside from controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear the 3DS is much better; it's the same as the WIi version (I've played the Wii version but not 3DS), but it includes an Easy mode (brothers, sisters, kids maybe who want to play it), and the Wii version FORCED you to waggle your remote in order to roll, there was no button to it and no alternative, and a lot of people disliked this.  There's a dedicated roll button on the 3DS version.

I hear the 3DS is much better; it's the same as the WIi version (I've played the Wii version but not 3DS), but it includes an Easy mode (brothers, sisters, kids maybe who want to play it), and the Wii version FORCED you to waggle your remote in order to roll, there was no button to it and no alternative, and a lot of people disliked this. There's a dedicated roll button on the 3DS version.
Never read that before, though I do recall hearing the waggle thing on a podcast now that you mention it.

I hear the 3DS is much better; it's the same as the WIi version (I've played the Wii version but not 3DS), but it includes an Easy mode (brothers, sisters, kids maybe who want to play it), and the Wii version FORCED you to waggle your remote in order to roll, there was no button to it and no alternative, and a lot of people disliked this. There's a dedicated roll button on the 3DS version.
That sounds pretty annoying, 3DS version it is.

I completed the Wii version 100% with minimal frustration from the controls.  Yes, the waggle was a silly choice; but it was also utilized in a way that it never posed a real issue.  IMHO, DKCR is one of the best 2D platformers ever made, waggle or not.

Also, for what it's worth:  the 3DS version runs at 30fps and, like most 3DS games, is coated in jaggies; whereas the Wii version runs at 60fps and looks fantastic on a big TV.  Yes, the 3DS version has a small amount of extra content, but then you have to decide if it's worth the price difference.  Also, the addition of an "Easy" mode is silly--the game begs to be played as it was on the Wii.

Regardless of the platform you chose, if you love 2D platformers, don't miss this game.

I completed the Wii version 100% with minimal frustration from the controls. Yes, the waggle was a silly choice; but it was also utilized in a way that it never posed a real issue. IMHO, DKCR is one of the best 2D platformers ever made, waggle or not.

Also, for what it's worth: the 3DS version runs at 30fps and, like most 3DS games, is coated in jaggies; whereas the Wii version runs at 60fps and looks fantastic on a big TV. Yes, the 3DS version has a small amount of extra content, but then you have to decide if it's worth the price difference. Also, the addition of an "Easy" mode is silly--the game begs to be played as it was on the Wii.

Regardless of the platform you chose, if you love 2D platformers, don't miss this game.
Wii version it is.

I completed the Wii version 100% with minimal frustration from the controls. Yes, the waggle was a silly choice; but it was also utilized in a way that it never posed a real issue. IMHO, DKCR is one of the best 2D platformers ever made, waggle or not.

Also, for what it's worth: the 3DS version runs at 30fps and, like most 3DS games, is coated in jaggies; whereas the Wii version runs at 60fps and looks fantastic on a big TV. Yes, the 3DS version has a small amount of extra content, but then you have to decide if it's worth the price difference. Also, the addition of an "Easy" mode is silly--the game begs to be played as it was on the Wii.

I had the Wii version and never finished it. I reached one stage, where the "waggle" pissed me off to no end(over 20 tries, with no luck), and I stopped playing it.

I just reached the same stage on the 3DS version, and I passed it with only a few tries. I would gladly trade 30FPS for proper controls. Motion controls should ALWAYS be an option, NEVER the ONLY choice.

+1 for 3DS

I just reached the same stage on the 3DS version, and I passed it with only a few tries. I would gladly trade 30FPS for proper controls. Motion controls should ALWAYS be an option, NEVER the ONLY choice.
Touch controls too in a similar situation. Hate having an entirely button driven Vita or 3DS game that then decides to get cute and make me do something not fun with touch.

I had the Wii version and never finished it. I reached one stage, where the "waggle" pissed me off to no end(over 20 tries, with no luck), and I stopped playing it.

+1 for 3DS
3DS version it is then.

I'd say go for the 3DS version for traditional controls and more content. Get more game for your $$$, granted you can play DKC:R on the wii with a classic controller though it requires not so legal and warranty voiding changes to the system to be able to though. So it's probably better not to go down that route.

I'd say go for the 3DS version for traditional controls and more content. Get more game for your $$$, granted you can play DKC:R on the wii with a classic controller though it requires not so legal and warranty voiding changes to the system to be able to though. So it's probably better not to go down that route.
I actually only found out about the improved Wii version right before the 3DS version was due out. I was like, "where was I?" I would have so used that version and I still may get it at some point, so I can experience the original as it should have been. I bought the classic controller early on and I don't think I ever used it once.

Sadly, even being able to play "improved" games like that on my Wii, I hardly ever use it anymore. There are actually several great games on the Wii, but my son gets way more enjoyment out of the motion controls than I ever could, so he uses it more than me at this point.

The 3DS version is very fun, and looks good to me. I've had way more fun playing this game on the 3DS then I ever did on the Wii. I still can't understand why games like this don't offer customizable controls for all options(this goes for the 3DS game as well), as it only offers 2 control types, which some may or may not like.

bread's done
Back