FFXIV ARR (PS3/Standard Edition) + $10 Amazon credit

If you don't care about the physical items of collector edition but want the in-game ones, you can buy the digital upgrade once it launches for $20.

PS3 CE $80 - {(Standard PS3 $40 - Amazon credit $10***) + $20 After launch CE Upgrade} =  $30 saved for all the in-game benefits. 

***Theoretically.

Only reason I bough PS3 CE as oppose to standard was because I did the trade in $10 and get $10 off a pre-order on the CE and did not mind paying $30 more for the extra physical items with the credit I got from the trade-ins. (Plus this deal wasn't up :whistle2:? )

Amazon decided to make warehouse in NJ and I got slapped with a tax which begun this month onward.  :wall:

Damn I have the CE pre ordered..Everyone who has the CE should ask amazon to give it to us aswell,might work :p

Anyone know what the monthly fee is?

◆Legacy
   Subscription Period: 30 days
   Fee: $9.99
   Number of playable characters: 8 per World and up to 40 per service account
  * Please visit the URL below for details on the Legacy Campaign.
   http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/campaign/campaign.html#legacy

◆Entry
   Fee: $12.99
   Number of playable characters: 1 per World and up to 8 per service account

◆Standard
   Fee: $14.99
   Number of playable characters: 8 per World and up to 40 per service account

http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?kid=64539&ret=main&id=5382&la=1&pv=20&SQEXSC=g5t0qf5motdnjd45nsrj1ulnf3

I believe the reasons to be very valid and gladly support the P2P model. I really hope they don't change it. There is enough F2P games out there to fill that need.

Click to read Yoshida's defense to P2P model:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/17/final-fantasy-online-director-defends-monthly-subscriptions-in-the-golden-age-of-free-to-play-exclusive/

Haha Sleipnir, I'm double dipping!  :bouncy: PS4 version wont be out for another 6 month+

They will work on Direct X 11 upgrade for PC after launch and while at it make the PS4 version using that. I'd say get the PS3 version or PC version for now. I mean, it includes the first month fee so you really paying $17 for the game itself plus the pre-order bonus and early access are worth it. If you in doubt, Beta Phase 4 will be open, I'm guessing it will begin sometime next month. Try it, before you buy it!

You can tell we fanboys by our icons, but I'm not a legacy member because FFXIV 1.0 was horrible. I will get standard monthly fee since 1 character can unlock everything so $12.99 is good enough. I only tried the beta because I wanted to see the differences between 1.0 and 2.0 and was blown away from how much better it is. Really love this game, best MMO I personally played. Everyone has their own taste though. I stopped played FFXI, Tera, and Perfect World.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the reasons to be very valid and gladly support the P2P model. I really hope they don't change it. There is enough F2P games out there to fill that need.

Click to read Yoshida's defense to P2P model:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/17/final-fantasy-online-director-defends-monthly-subscriptions-in-the-golden-age-of-free-to-play-exclusive/

Haha Sleipnir, I'm double dipping! :bouncy: PS4 version wont be out for another 6 month+

They will work on Direct X 11 upgrade for PC after launch and while at it make the PS4 version using that. I'd say get the PS3 version or PC version for now. I mean, it includes the first month fee so you really paying $17 for the game itself plus the pre-order bonus and early access are worth it. If you in doubt, Beta Phase 4 will be open, I'm guessing it will begin sometime next month. Try it, before you buy it!

You can tell we fanboys by our icons, but I'm not a legacy member because FFXIV 1.0 was horrible. I will get standard monthly fee since 1 character can unlock everything so $12.99 is good enough. I only tried the beta because I wanted to see the differences between 1.0 and 2.0 and was blown away from how much better it is. Really love this game, best MMO I personally played. Everyone has their own taste though. I stopped played FFXI, Tera, and Perfect World.
Yeah, still bullshit since his reasoning boils down to "we get more money and guilt trip players into staying around". If the product he was pushing was quality in the first place people would be glad to stick around and buy more content.

I have the collector's edition ordered for PS3, but seeing the standard edition for like $30 (after credit) is very tempting. The only thing I really want from the CE is the artbook, and I don't think I can justify paying the extra $50 for an 80 page book. The Mass Effect artbook was like $25 and has close to 200 pages, so it was a good value.

Playing the FFXIV beta on PS3 reminded me of playing FFXI on PS2; it's that bad. The game runs in 540p with no AA which makes it look pixelated and even with the poor resolution the game is very far from running at 30fps smoothly, more like 20fps on average. When you run it next to the PC version in 1080p/60fps it looks like the PC is running a completely different game, a good looking one. If you want to play this on console I recommend waiting for the PS4 version; it should be much better.

@BossMoogle - You're right, the game doesn't look as good as the PC version. Your post actually making me stick with the standard version of the PS3. I already have the game for PC, so I'm just getting the PS3 version for comfort. I'll save the extra money of the CE and put it on the PS4 CE version whenever it comes out. I didn't have any issues playing beta on PS3 as you did. It ran smoothly for me.

The quality in graphics difference is noticeable. There is no doubt that it does not look as good as the PC. Absolutely, if the PS4 version was out that be the one to get(if you buy a PS4 obviously). I know I will. But, I do want to say that at first it looks bad compare to PC but once you play it for a while, you get used to the graphics. Is like playing Skyward Sword right after playing Uncharted. You will notice is not quite the same graphical power but it don't mean is bad.

Just last phase they lowered the loading, and although they not as fast as the PC version, I'm sure they still working on fixing a lot of PS3 issues. In fact Phase 3 entire purpose was to fine tune PS3 version.

As it stands now, the PS4 version is over half a year+ away. If you don't have a PC and are interested in this game, PS3 version good enough. I have the PC version from buying 1.0 and I played Phase 2 of the beta and the first half of Phase 3 on PC. Now I just lay on my bed with my big screen tv, remote in my hand, and surround sound. I'm enjoying it and anxiously waiting for the PS4 version. The game runs just fine, is not rainbows and sunshine like PC but is playable and I have yet to run into frame rate issues. I wish I could talk more about it, hopefully once the NDA is lifted on Phase 4.

Yoshida said there wont be any special bonus on PS4 edition. If you don't want the in-game or physical collector edition items then ya definitely get the standard edition. CE for PC and PS3 are identical after all.

I see no point of passing on the CE. I dont see the price dropping, and its not like they are gonna re-release the exclusive DLC. As someone who has spent hundreds on micro transactions, I can easily justify 40-50$ for some nice physical bonuses, and 5 awesome exclusive items

That $10 credit might be enough to convince me to keep my preorder instead of waiting for the PS4 version.  When phase 4 comes around we should all decide on a server and make a guild.

I really enjoyed the beta but I can't justify paying a monthly fee to continue playing the game. In my opinion if I buy a game I should have access to the game I bought. I shouldn't have to pay a monthly fee to continue using it.

I believe as of now this is just a rumor but I think the idea was that since the PS3 version was tied to your PSN account that when the PS4 version came out it would be some sort of digital upgrade. Hopefully an upgrade like this would be discounted.

Can one pay subscription with PSN credit? Can preowned disk be used as long as the second person has his own subscription?

I doubt you can pay on PSN credit because it uses Crystal Currency. FFXIV used to sell "Crystals" similar to how other mmo sells their games subscription via prepaid cards. I believe this service will return once the game gets going.

FFXIV_Prepaid_Card.jpg

The disk is only used to install the game, so anyone can use it. The game wont download update without a subscription. If you try to log in without a subscription it will just give you a request to put your registration key, and a link to where to buy the game.

BTW: FFXIII hater's look away, haha! They announced FFXIV will have a special quest that you fight along side Lightning where you get her (if female) or Snow (if male) outfits and weapons if you complete it. They added his as a cross-promotion, is mainly vanity since FFXIII is geting a Miqo'te outfit. Check it out below.

http://www.twitch.tv/feed_rss/b/425607864?t=351m20s

Patiently waits for Squall outfit and weapon.... hehe  :bouncy:

Oh yeah! As for the suggestion of what server to play, I will be in Leviathan.

So that's ~$180/year to play assuming the good plan.  I don't usually play MMOs.  Is this pricing in line with other MMOs?

Its hard to justify for me because I would feel the need to force myself to play even if I didn't want to because I prepaid for the month.

I think if it was part of PS+ I'd be OK with it.  But $120-$180 / year is a bit much I think. 

For those saving for a PS4, think this way, in 2 years its your PS4.  And you OWN it.

Just my $0.02

The pricing is in line with other major MMOs.  I don't mind paying a subscription cost and the argument that "I own the game" has never held much water with me.  Your subscription is going towards paying for new content, bug fixes, server stability, ingame tech support and advertisements plus more.  The "F2P" MMOs to me can end up costing more money in the long run than a subscription based model costs.  The F2P MMO model is just a model that is based on micro transactions that makes you easily lose track of how much you have spent and you can end up easily spending more each month then you would have on a P2P model.  

So far in the beta I have been playing on Cactaur because I saw a few other people in the PS3 forum were playing on there. 

MMOs require a certain amount of subscriptions to be on the green light. The cost monthly fee goes into paying the bills of server, customer support, a team dedicated on making sure the game is running well, a team that is dedicated to producing new content, payment to investors (although FFXIV and WoW investors are the parent company), advertisement, and so on.

All MMOs require a way to make income in a monthly basis. Even Guild Wars 2, a game who's main attraction was the no monthly fee has a cash shop. F2P survive by bringing in new people that are lured into it by the fact you don't have to pay monthly and then using psychology to nickle and dime them. Some people are adamant about refusing to buy anything, and that is fine, but for every few people that is not buying anything, there has to be another person buying x2-10 times more than a P2P game would normally charge you.

I can give you an example because I have done that. I have an account on Perfect World Internation. I started playing that game because is free to play. My inventory was small, I bough a super inventory stone. My bank was small, I bough a bank extension item. Over 2 years I nickle and dime things that I felt I needed. By then I had a nice group of friends in the game and I felt weak so I bough Rank 9 armor. Keep in mind, NO ONE MADE ME BUY IT. By the end of it I was playing a game with little updates, outdated graphics, and crappy story and had spent $2,000. I had fun, but when I think about it. I could of played FFXI, a much superior game for 10 years and still not spent that much. Is my fault for spending it and that is fine, I can live with it. I'm just telling you that no one goes into a F2P thinking they going to spend a dime. It just happens, and btw; my Rank 9 gear is not even the best anymore, Stage 3 is out and refines to +12 makes my armor look like nothing. There are people who spent way more than I did, you can tell the cash shop buyers by their ability to 1 hit kill you.

I'm not saying F2P model is bad, but is definitely not in the best interest of consumer. They give you limitations to TRY to manipulate you into buying things without ever saying so. Because money is sporadic (they make huge profit a month then little profit the next one), content is always lacking. They may have an update every so often but most update you will see will be cash shop items being introduced. There is a heavier emphasis on making money creating items than actual game content.

In a P2P model, you know you pay such and such every month. The developers focus on providing the best experience profit because that's how they make their money. They don't have to think up of new way to nickle and dime, they can focus on the stuff that actually matter. Everyone paying a similar fee, everyone starts the same. You can't just buy your way to being the best, everyone is in the same playing field. My personal favorite is that most people who are playing a P2P are there to stay. Of course people quit, but having played F2P (PWI, Tera), I can tell you people quit a lot faster or are constantly talking about a different F2P they look forward too. I kept hearing about Blade & Soul, Scarlet Blood, Rift, and ESO on Tera all the time in area chats. 

I really do understand that people don't want to pay to play. For those people, I recommend they play Tera, Rift. or Guild Wars 2 as they to me the current best B/F2P games. Some people like to eat at fast food, but I prefer a buffet.

F2P MMORPGS are utter garbage. Pay to win makes everything irrelevant. if you don't want to pay a monthly fee, then don't play. I will support the game like I supported FFXI for the past 9 years.

I'd much rather play a FF MMO and pay for it than play half the shit that comes out as F2P.  Just like Ikx just said.

^Wow, I feel bad you or anyone to have spent so much on F2P models. I like the Pay Once to Play model best (Guild Wars). Monthly fee model makes me feel obligated to login daily with my free time, to get the most out of the subscription, and I don't like that. I played Perfect World International for 6 months w/o ever spending a dime. I bought Guild Wars and expansions, but never used the cash shop. Played that one off/on for years.

I doubt you can pay on PSN credit because it uses Crystal Currency. FFXIV used to sell "Crystals" similar to how other mmo sells their games subscription via prepaid cards. I believe this service will return once the game gets going.
WTF is this? Crystal Currency? They don't accept Credit Cards?

I bit although I also like the pay once to play model, like the D3 and SC2. 

I wonder do you need the disc of FF XIV to play on PC after the initial install? For other PC games that I've played, you can install the client online and only use the activation code that comes with the disc. The disc is pretty much useless. Is it also true for FF XIV?

How about the PS3 version? Do you need the disc to play or does it also download the game to your HD to play? 

I bit although I also like the pay once to play model, like the D3 and SC2.

I wonder do you need the disc of FF XIV to play on PC after the initial install? For other PC games that I've played, you can install the client online and only use the activation code that comes with the disc. The disc is pretty much useless. Is it also true for FF XIV?

How about the PS3 version? Do you need the disc to play or does it also download the game to your HD to play?
I can confirm that the Windows version does not require a disc beyond install (or never at all, just activating your key online).

Not sure about PS3, though I would bet that's a no unless you buy digitally, or if it ever goes free to play.

Crystal currency is just a way to keep track of how much you paid/can pay per month easier (because there is multiple payment methods). You buy the currency with credit card (or cash prepaid cards) then apply it to your account or you can just have it so that it automatically withdraw the monthly fee. The system is more for people who can't pay with credit card but ya is not any different than any other P2P MMO. Just pay a monthly fee auto deducted from CC and you good to go.

There is multiple stages of fee you can choose depending on the amount of character you want.

Entry is $12.99 (and is the one i recommend everyone) which is 1 character per server and 8 total.

Standard is $14.99 which is I believe 8 character per server and 40 total.

Now standard can cost can be lowered if you pay months ahead.

6 month ahead makes it the same as entry, $12.99, but for 8 chars and 40 total.

I'd stick with entry for now since there's really not much reason to make more than 1 character.

It is as you say, don't need the disk regardless of platform. It is only to install the game, but if you pre-order the game, you going to get the full client ahead of time. So you won't even need to install it off the disk. Disk will just be there in case someday you uninstall it and/or want to install it on a different system. The only thing that will matter from your retail purchase is the registration key.

Beta Phase 4 will be open beta so if anyone wants to try it, that's the best time to go about it. 

Latest world tour trailer (PC/PS3): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0w5dyfENwA#at=120

Product info: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/product/

For beta registration: https://secure.square-enix.com/enqt/s/run?sq=9596cd14951940941085c2aca296d90a2a1b02911aed14159b9720959a025c904c51c91a959648fea19dcf91e14cfe2c9c949546e21c5996642e21068e45

Wasn't around to mess with the beta last weekend, so I'll be looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. Really only put a few weeks into FFXI so we'll see how this goes and if it gets me to buy. Decent deal, though. Hopefully it gets a good user base in the door (and that they stick around past the first month).

I can confirm that the Windows version does not require a disc beyond install (or never at all, just activating your key online).
Not sure about PS3, though I would bet that's a no unless you buy digitally, or if it ever goes free to play.
If it follows the model of FFXI of the PS2 days, it will hopefully not need the disc after install.

I've been playing the beta the last couple weekends and I'm hooked. I'm staying up late tonight so I can play a little bit more when the next trial starts, ha.

I've got a question, though: If I order the PS3 version and activate the key on my Square Enix account, I'll be able to download the PC installer and play on my PC too, correct? So I don't have to double dip on both PS3 and PC versions?

You have to double dip. They both have their own registration code. The only way you won't have to double dip is if you are a 1.0 account holder (In which case you bought the old FFXI). You won't have to double dip in expansion packs in the future. Just for the initial game. At lease that's the current understanding of it.

I know there's quite a large number of people buying PC copy of the game just for the pre-order bonus and won't need the registration code. Can probably find it cheap.

You have to double dip. They both have their own registration code. The only way you won't have to double dip is if you are a 1.0 account holder (In which case you bought the old FFXI). You won't have to double dip in expansion packs in the future. Just for the initial game. At lease that's the current understanding of it.
Ah. Oh well. I guess I'm getting the PC version, then.

Thank you.

hmm i am playing in the beta on the ps3 and am wondering if i can just buy the pc version for the code because it is cheaper, and still play on the ps3 since i allready have the game downloaded.

hmm i am playing in the beta on the ps3 and am wondering if i can just buy the pc version for the code because it is cheaper, and still play on the ps3 since i allready have the game downloaded.
Beta is different from the final game. I don't think you can login from PS3 with the PC code, but you can try. However, why is PC cheaper? Amazon give $10 credit to PS3 purchases only, which makes them at the same price, minus tax.

Beta is different from the final game. I don't think you can login from PS3 with the PC code, but you can try. However, why is PC cheaper? Amazon give $10 credit to PS3 purchases only, which makes them at the same price, minus tax.
green man gaming has a 25% off voucher on the pc version dropping it down to 22.50 http://prntscr.com/1e5lk3

I don't think they will offer the $10 off with collector. Amazon usually don't offer deals to collectors.

The GMG deal is nice but its digital only. Still is the cheapest way to get it if you want digital PC. I purchased standard off them (just registration key/preorder bonus for my gf) and wanted to change it to CE but could not. Their sales are final even if its just a pre-order, just a warning in that regard.

As for buying PC and playing on PS3. Can't; PS3 and PC versions are different registration keys. You have to buy both version if you want to play on both consoles. If you had the old FFXIV 1.0 then you don't need to buy a PC version, you get it for "free"(already own it). I'd still pre-order it for the bonus but that's just me.

bread's done
Back