Nintendo Land is $20.99 at Amazon

Yes, the Metroid, Donkey Kong and Balloon Trip games alone are worth $20.
As long as your expectation of a challenge isn't super high, you should enjoy the game. I play with my 4 and 7 yr olds and have a great time. Probably near 20 total hours, so $20 is about right for the time spent. There are some "goals" for each game which add some challenge though. Agree with Metroid, great game with multiplayer battle or campaign modes. I'd put the Pikmin game second, then Zelda, all of these you can do solo, but are definitely better with other players to do co-op. Balloon Trip and DK are good for single player games, I just wish DK had more than 1 map. The other single and multiplayer games are fun but very simple, like the mario chase and luigi mansion games. Remember that this is partially a demo to show how the wii-pad can be used, so that led to the shallowness for a few of them.

As long as your expectation of a challenge isn't super high, you should enjoy the game. I play with my 4 and 7 yr olds and have a great time. Probably near 20 total hours, so $20 is about right for the time spent. There are some "goals" for each game which add some challenge though. Agree with Metroid, great game with multiplayer battle or campaign modes. I'd put the Pikmin game second, then Zelda, all of these you can do solo, but are definitely better with other players to do co-op. Balloon Trip and DK are good for single player games, I just wish DK had more than 1 map. The other single and multiplayer games are fun but very simple, like the mario chase and luigi mansion games. Remember that this is partially a demo to show how the wii-pad can be used, so that led to the shallowness for a few of them.
There are 4 "maps" in DK. Have to beat each one twice to unlock next

so when are we going to see a price drop on the system?  Im still waiting for it in order to buy the system

The Metroid FPS alone is worth it; co-op multiplayer, yo. Add in the Zelda co-op game, and it's totally worth it.

The competitive Luigi's Mansion is really fun w/ a group of people.

What! I must play it now! I finished it the first time, and just thought that was it, didn't realize the 2-time to unlock. Thanks.
There are two red courses and two blue courses. After you beat first course twice you'll unlock a new blue course. Beat that twice you'll unlock a tweaked version of first red course. Beat the tweaked red course once, you'll unlock a tweaked version of the blue course. So yes there are "four" courses.

Did you like Wii Sports? It's another casual mini-game collection intended to showcase the features of the system. I gave it about 20 minutes before deciding to play Jenga with my friends instead.
wii sports is a million times better than nintendo land could ever be. piss poor comparison my good man

Did you like Wii Sports? It's another casual mini-game collection intended to showcase the features of the system. I gave it about 20 minutes before deciding to play Jenga with my friends instead.
Your lack of experience with the game is telling, so I'm not sure why you decided to chime in. It is nothing like wii sports.

But then again, who seriously goes to CAG for game reviews?

Your lack of experience with the game is telling, so I'm not sure why you decided to chime in. It is nothing like wii sports.
It attempts to target the same audience (people looking for a casual, fun time with others) in essentially the same way (by showing off hardware capabilities with multiple mini-games). I believe it's a fair comparison.

It was much better than I was expecting. Definitely better than Wii Sports.

It attempts to target the same audience (people looking for a casual, fun time with others) in essentially the same way (by showing off hardware capabilities with multiple mini-games). I believe it's a fair comparison.
yet lacks the quality of wii sports. wii sports > nintendoland is a fact. if you like one you might not like the other.

its apples and oranges.

Oh, I get the joke. If you don't like NintendoLand, you must not have any friends!

Haha, MetalSlugger, you practical jokester, you. You're so funny you could write for Leno.
The joke was more "no one would want to hang out with a host who has Jenga as a backup plan" but yes, there was a little of that as well.

Of course you believe it's a fair comparison, you wrote it, genius.

In the ethereal, marketing launch game variety pack, it is wii sports! Still a big no.

Who are you going to be playing this with and what are you expecting out of it?  I brought my Wii U down to my parents house for the 4th of July yesterday.  We had me (24), my girlfriend (24), little brother (21) his wife (20), my uncle (30's), and then two of my little cousins (10 and 7 I think).  We played Mario Chase, Animal Crossings mini game and the Luigi's Mansion mini game all day.  Everyone had a blast.  My girlfriend and I play the Metroid and Zelda mini games a lot as well and love them.  For $20 this is completely worth it.

Thank you for acknowledging my intellect. I realize humility may be difficult for someone of your caliber.

Here's a fun game for when the paste runs out. Count the Wii Sports references: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/nintendo-land/0/0

For those who don't want to read this, it's only mentioned 3 times.

Iwata

Shimamura-san and Yamashita-san, you haven't directed as a duo since Wii Sports2 and Wii Sports Resort.3
Shimamura

Yes. After development of Wii Sports Resort, Yamashita-san and I were thinking about something new that would draw upon the knowhow for Wii MotionPlus.
For example when we were developing games for the Wii console, we made the Wii Sports game with the tennis game as its center. But this time, even thought there were many fun prototype games, it was difficult to package them into one game in the same way we did for Wii Sports.

They really aren't anything alike. The games are much more in depth compared to the Wii Sports games with a lot more to do. Comparing them is like comparing any game that uses a controller with another game that uses a controller. Both games will attract different audiences. Wii Sports was selling out systems left and right for quite a while. Nintendo Land isn't doing that. I'm not sure why you even bothered linking that article, the only times Wii Sports was brought up was pretty much to talk about how the 2 people had worked on it together before.

It's like talking to bricks.

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said to analysts that Nintendo Land didn’t live up to Wii Sports as a bundled title that communicated to consumers what was unique about the Nintendo console it was shipped with. Iwata says Nintendo Land didn’t help consumers understand asymmetric gameplay as well as Wii Sports helped consumers understand motion controls.

I would say that “Nintendo Land” has not fulfilled the same role as “Wii Sports” did when we bundled it with Wii.
http://gimmegimmegames.com/2013/06/nintendo-nintendo-land-hasnt-done-as-well-as-wii-sports/

If you don't think Nintendoland was an attempt to capture the same audience Wii Sports did, you're not paying attention.

http://gimmegimmegames.com/2013/06/nintendo-nintendo-land-hasnt-done-as-well-as-wii-sports/

If you don't think Nintendoland was an attempt to capture the same audience Wii Sports did, you're not paying attention.

Hahaha, I like the fact that you completely ignore the fact that the last article you posted had NOTHING to do with what you were trying to say. Read the quote you just put up. Nintendoland's purpose was to show the gamers ways to use the tablet, Wii Sports was used to show how to use motion controls. While they have similar purposes, they aren't similar games. That's like saying Gears of War and Halo are comparable. They both run on Xbox 360. They are both aimed at hardcore gamers. They are both have online multiplayer. Therefore they are the same and serve the same purpose!

Forget the Ps4, and Xbox One. Jenga is Nintendo's real competition lol

Hahaha, I like the fact that you completely ignore the fact that the last article you posted had NOTHING to do with what you were trying to say. Read the quote you just put up. Nintendoland's purpose was to show the gamers ways to use the tablet, Wii Sports was used to show how to use motion controls. While they have similar purposes, they aren't similar games. That's like saying Gears of War and Halo are comparable. They both run on Xbox 360. They are both aimed at hardcore gamers. They are both have online multiplayer. Therefore they are the same and serve the same purpose!
You're right, Gears of War and Halo have nothing in common. Nor are the Wii U tablet and Wii controller both unique controllers mandatory to new Nintendo systems that launched with hardware primarily designed for a casual userbase with mini-games intended to show off the unique functions of the system.

Excellent, valid points to make.

Wii Party U is a game like Wii Sports. Most Wii Sports fans couldn't give two shits about Metroid or Zelda. Anyone can pick up and play Wii Sports while most Nintendoland games use the same tropes as 3D platformers and action games.

And the saying is "like talking to a brick wall." Also are you 13? Also the frigging game is worth twenty-one bucks new but you better love local multiplayer, so get your Jenga team together.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right, Gears of War and Halo have nothing in common. Nor are the Wii U tablet and Wii controller both unique controllers mandatory to new Nintendo systems that launched with hardware primarily designed for a casual userbase with mini-games intended to show off the unique functions of the system.

Excellent, valid points to make.
You're still not getting it are you. I can set my parents down with Wii Sports and they can play it and have fun with no previous knowledge of video games or how to play them. They just have to swing around like they are playing the sport. You can't do that with Nintendoland. Just because they both use their unique controllers doesn't mean they are the same. Is Rock Band or any other game that includes a peripheral included in your list of comparable games?

It's pretty sad that a simple deal about a Wii U game has degenerated into a sh*tfest of arguments about whether Nintendoland is a similar style game to Wii Sports.  People, just drop the arguments and stick to the subject at hand: Nintendoland for $20.99, not a bad deal for people who bought the Wii U basic bundle and never bought this game.  Move on!

bread's done
Back