Zelda: Majora's Mask review (updated)

Mr Durand Pierre

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Update: So I finally got around to playing Majora's Mask again and beat it. And here are my updated thoughts:

Majora's Mask is simultaneously the best and worst Zelda game ever made. You'd think that would make it average out as being a middle of the road Zelda game, but nope, it's still the worst.

This is mainly due to the time system. It's not quite as bad as I had initially anticipated with the most boring first hour or two ever in a videogame (it will most likely take you at least 2 tries, each an hour long, to figure out how to even get out of the town you start out in and start weilding your sword). But it gets better. I realized you don't even have to replay dungeons due to warp pads that take you straight to the bosses provided you've conquered the dungeon before. But I still say the time system is annoying as hell. Frequently I had no idea what to do next and I'd have to resort to looking up hints online or my time would run out and I'd have hours worth of progress to retrace.

A good example of this is a sub-quest you must complete before the third dungeon. The quest is that you have to rescue 7 Zora eggs. There are 4 in one location and 3 in another. After a couple hours of work I managed to retrieve the first 4, but had no idea how to even get to the area where the other 3 were. given enough time I'm sure I could have solved this, but the clock was ticking and I didn't want to replay the first half of the quest again. There were other frequent annoyances too. I spent hours on another side-quest, but would frequently miss the next step in a sequence and have to start all over before eventually giving up. The time system is interesting in that people act more like they would in real life, but in terms of gameplay it really just makes it a lot harder to get anything done. If you start out on a quest you damn well better finish it before time runs out. I prefered Ocarina's system where you can come and go from side-quests as you like.

But I did say this was in many ways the best of the series so I'll write about what makes it so good.

For one Termina is deffinitely the most interesting Zelda world we've seen. It's not a far cry from Hyrule, but it does certainly feel different. Just about everything in Majora's Mask is creative. The 3 creatures you can turn into, the concept of wearing several different masks (some with superpowers), and all the wacky creatures you run into aren't the typical kind you'd find in an adventure game. A lot of the subplots are endlessly creative too. For example: one side-quest involves you trying to protect cows form being abducted by aliens. Another quest has you trying to save a man who's turned into a half-zombie and is taken care of by his daughter. There's also a gaint turtle, a zora rock group, a graveyard where a wandering ninja once fought, and even some surreal forest on the moon... or something. The design of many of these landscapes is pure genius. I found Ocarina's Hyrule just your basic dungeons and dragons knights and elves universe, but Majora's Mask felt altogether different. It keeps just the right amount of Zelda nostalgia (most of the items have been in the Zelda franchise from the beggining), but offers a fresh spin on things.

Special mention should be made of the games music. There's one tune you'll be hearing A LOT in the game, basically anywhere on the world map during the daytime, and yet it never gets old. It's just a slow repetitive haunting theme which was the perfect blend of making you feel off balance and not annoying you or being too obtrusive. There was a lot of other great music in the game oto, but I don't know any of their titles, so discussing htem any further would be pointless.

I also really liked the layout of the world map. You start out in a town, and you can go North, South, East, and West, and each of these areas is very distinct and opens up in a semi-linear manner. It's a difficult game to get lost in. And the warp points are all real convinient too. I wish other Zelda games coult take a hint from this.

Still for whatever genius was put into Majora's Mask it is a frustrating experience. While normally opposed to walkthroughs I feel that looking up hints is almost crucial to enjoying the game. In many ways Majora's Mask really is a work of art, and it made me sad I wasn't enjoying it as much as I was appreciating it.

And this was my original review for anyone who cares...

(Note: I never finished Majora's Mask. Find out why...)

The best thing I can say about Majora's Mask is that it makes me respect Ocarina of time a lot more.

Though I didn't particularly care for Ocarina, it was a work of genius compared to Majora's Mask. I'll start with what I hated about this game.

First and foremost, the time system is the work of the devil. The game takes place over the course of 3 days which last about 50 minutes total, but you can slow hem down to roughly 5 hours. After the 3 days are over the game resets. Luckily, you have the ocarina of time, which can take you back to dawn of the first day with most of your inventory (all of the important items anyway) and it saves your progress. Unfortuneately, the game DOES NOT save your progress if you just let the time run out. The game makes these rules pretty unclear, since both methods take you back to dawn of the first day, but one of these methods resets your progress from the last 5 hours. Perhaps this was my own stupid mistake, but it's still the responsibility of the writers and programmers to prevent shit like that form happening. The fact that it's even possible ot lose 5 hours of progress in a Zelda game is beyond me.

The other way to save your progress is using these owl statues. but they only save your progress if you save and quit. And then when you reload the game, your save gets erased. So if the game crashes (which I've heard of happening, though have yet to experience) you can easily lose several hours of progress. It's beyond me why they created save slots like this, and wouldn't just let you save and keep playing.

The time system is ripe with possibilities for sidequests, though most of these start the same way doing the same tedious quests over and over again. For example, there's a deku scrub near where you start the game and you can do some stuff to get the deed to his land. Later in the game you can sell his deed off for rewards. But everyime you startthe three days over you have to go through the same sequence to get his deed. t's not fun. It's not a puzzle. It's just plain tedious. And there are A LOT of subquests like that, where you have to complete the same tasks multiple times. In fact, a lot of stuff will open up after you beat a dungeon, but before the 3 days are up, so if you want to partake in any of these sidequests you best hurry. The game is anything but relaxing.

I did apprciate the options for so many sidequests, but these could have been done without the aid of the time system. I prefer the wind waker and how it has several islands with subquests that you can complete at your own leisure. I like open endedness, but only if it's relaxing. Feeling rushed bothered me to no end.

The game also has only 4 dungeons. I only played through the first two, and they were fine. Ocarina of time quality at least. That's a plus, I guess.

One good thing about MM is that you can get a lot of items right off the bat (like the bow and arrow, or bombs). The game is more like an add-on in that respect, and I dug that. I also liked it's strange story and how it diverges from the usual boring simple Zelda mythos.

Hardcore fans of OOT will love MM. I realize I am in the minority who doesn't. The game looks and plays like OOT (which I kinda liked. see my review), and that's fine, but its supposedly revolutionary time system is just and exercise in stress.

5/10

Ive been playing the collector disk on the gamecube and the whole use of time really takes away from the fun of exploring, like you could easily in OoT

You wouldn't want them to rehash the same game over and over, would you? I give Majora's Mask a full 10. C'mon, 5/10? Seriously?

[quote name='queegqueeg']You wouldn't want them to rehash the same game over and over, would you? I give Majora's Mask a full 10. C'mon, 5/10? Seriously?[/quote]

well I only gave OoT a 7/10 and said it could have improved a lot, but MM just seemed to enhance Ocarina's fault's.

On a side note, I am halfway through the Wind Waker and I like it quite a bit better than either of the N64 Zeldas (though the sailing does take too long).

Im a huge zelda fan, love the games, played almost all of them, OOT blew me away, its one of the best n64 games around, not the best zelda game persay but good. Then came the follow up, MM, which was great for many reasons. One it actually follows the story of OOT and does so very well. Two all the variety of masks which give you many powers and if you had gotten them all like i did you would respect it as well. Three the time limit shouldnt be much of a problem for anyone since MM dungeons are generally easy and can be beaten in under 5 hours. Traveling around the map is easy once you get the horse/bunny hood/goron mask, so it shouldnt bother you. The bosses are all unique and cool, plus you can fight them all the time, and I love boss battles, especially with the fierce diety mask which you didnt get but makes the bosses more fun (killing oldawldo in 4 hits hehe). Also so many sidequests revolving around masks and people, what you do effects there lives. Saving shouldnt bother you because if you recall, in OOT if you save and exit the game you are right back at the beginning of a dungeon, even if you were in the middle of a curcial point, the owl staues were a great improvement on this system. Overall I give MM a 8/10 and OOT 9/10 since nothing can be perfect but this sure comes close.

That's why they give you two save slots. Have two copies of the save, and load one up. Screw up? Quit and recopy the other save.

I thought Majoras Mask was on par with Ocarina of Time in terms of fun factor, graphics, music, and replayability.

I just got it on N64 and with the Collector's Disk for Cube. I played it for about 50 min. and the time ran out and I had to start all over. Seemed like a pretty cool game though. It is on the list to be played soon.

Ocarina was an amazing game and it blew me away at the time, but even though MM is like a side quest I enjoyed it much more, it was very atypical from the normal Zelda mold. Also, if you get all the masks something really badass happens.

[quote name='queegqueeg']Mr Durand Pierre - what games do you give a very high score to (9 or above)?[/quote]

I've given 9 to quite a few games. The ones that I have (or will) given a 9 or above to are: Beyond Good and Evil, Prince of Persia, Metroid Prime, Rogue Leader, half-life, starcraft, the Myst games, the entire Monkey Island series, Zelda: a link ot the past, and coming soon... my review of my favorite agme of all time...)

big surprise that wind waker is your favorite considering you apparently dont like to be challenged in any way shape or form. id love to see your review of the original nes zelda. im predicting a 1/10.

[quote name='metroidkiller9']big surprise that wind waker is your favorite considering you apparently dont like to be challenged in any way shape or form. id love to see your review of the original nes zelda. im predicting a 1/10.[/quote]

don't like ot be challenged? I loved rogue leader and viewtiful joe (and beat both of them, and will later play them on harder settings). But there's a fine line bewtween being difficult and just being boring.

Frankly, the time aspect of the game was fantastic. It's like the movie Groundhog Day, only three days long. People go about the same things each day (unless you alter things before that event), which is really cool from an NPC standpoint. Most NPCs are really lame; they just stand in the same spot all day and say the same things when you talk to them. MM had a vibrant life to it's world; interesting characters, 90% of which you could help or interact with in a meaningful way.

You need to adjust to the time setup and play through this game ALL THE WAY. It's too damn good not to.

[quote name='bruce_pwns_j00']Pierre if you dislike the zelda games from the n64 age than dont play them, dont just come here to whine about them.[/quote]

sorry, i didn't realize this forum was for positive reviews only.

bread's done
Back